Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 14:25   #1
BHPian

HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?

Hi there,

Making a new thread as I couldn't seem to find this anywhere.
I removed the holder for the dust and pollen filter to clean it (as instructed in the manual) - to find that it is missing.

That's why this question is directed to other Civic owners - Is this true for all Civics in India? If you are not sure, it's really easy to check - explained below.

Page 291 of the Honda Civic owners manual talks about the dust and pollen filter - removal/replacement/cleaning etc can be done by the owner. Photograph of the same page is below.

HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?-dust-filter-1.jpg

To get access to the dust filter, simply empty the glove box, press on the sides (where to press indicated by the green dots) - this disengages the top clips. Then press the 'stop', indicated by the red arrow, so that the glove box moves downward and out of the way.

HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?-dust-filter-2.jpg

Now, you will see the holder for the dust and pollen filter. It has two tabs for removal - indicated by the red circles. Press both tabs in at the same time and slide the holder out - it slides out easily without any force.

HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?-dust-filter-3.jpg

Following photo is of the holder completely removed. As you can see, there is no filter inside it. There were some leaves and dust in it which I cleaned before taking this photo.

HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?-dust-filter-4.jpg

So, any Civic owners reading this - request you to please check and inform if your car has the filter or not.

If no Civics come with this - the obvious question would be - why not? And what can be used as a makeshift replacement if there is no such part/accessory available with Honda India?

Last edited by dynomite : 4th June 2012 at 14:27. Reason: just a small typo
dynomite is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 14:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Calling Civic owners - missing HVAC dust filter?

We have the same HVAC filter system in my 2008 CRV also.

It is also missing my in car !!
AbhiJ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 15:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: HVAC dust filter missing in your car too?

I have tried this long back and can confirm that it is missing in my car too. I also remember one of the forum members installing a filter in there and that it did not make too much of a difference. From Honda's standpoint, yet another cost cutting measure.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yeah it's missing. I did get a filter from Amazon and installed it last year. Details are in my ownership thread.

While I have not felt any difference in AC performance, the infrequent foul smell from the AC on startup, seems to have totally vanished after a while. Have not had a single instance this year.
shuvc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 16:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

With AC filter installed it is much easier to maintain the AC system, all you have to do is get the filter cleaned/replaced at every service, it does not let the HVAC system clogged with dirt.

With all my cars i have owned with a filter, i never had to get the whole system serviced every summers unlike my cars without a filter.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 16:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I have tried this long back and can confirm that it is missing in my car too. I also remember one of the forum members installing a filter in there and that it did not make too much of a difference. From Honda's standpoint, yet another cost cutting measure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Yeah it's missing. I did get a filter from Amazon and installed it last year. Details are in my ownership thread.

While I have not felt any difference in AC performance, the infrequent foul smell from the AC on startup, seems to have totally vanished after a while. Have not had a single instance this year.
Thanks guys. I was wondering if someone had removed mine - but I guess not. Basically, Honda never installed one.

The way I understand it - this filter only works when you open the 'fresh air' intake - i.e., the filter is used to clean air coming from the outside. It does not work to filter the cabin air in recirculate mode. Although it would be nice to have something like this work to clean the air inside the cabin - dust, pollen, allergens, whatever.

For anyone interested, I just found something online after reading what shuvc said - it's not made by Honda, but is a compatible filter. Apparently, the air filter size is standard across many cars?

Check it here - Amazon.com: FRAM CF10134 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter: Automotive

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
With AC filter installed it is much easier to maintain the AC system, all you have to do is get the filter cleaned/replaced at every service, it does not let the HVAC system clogged with dirt.

With all my cars i have owned with a filter, i never had to get the whole system serviced every summers unlike my cars without a filter.
@anshuman - I understand what you mean - but if the HVAC system is always on recirculate, would it still matter? And did you ever buy a filter to add to a car? Or you mean the cars that had the filter from the factory?

Last edited by dynomite : 4th June 2012 at 16:14.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomite View Post
This is the one I have in my car.
Old 5th June 2012, 06:17   #8
BHPian

Guys, the A/C filter is missing in most cars because it tends to get thrown out by the A.S.S. when the car is given for servicing & the owner is complaning about lack of A/C cooling. The filter greately reduces the speed of the cold air flowing out of the vents.

Also, most of the owners are not willing to pay for a new filter (cost is 3000 bucks for my Sonata for example). So the short sighted approach is to simply remove the offending article!
1self is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 15:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

How many cars dont have this filter in India? Any one knows if Tata Indigo has one or not?
Old 28th September 2013, 16:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

When I gave my Getz for a servicing, the SA advised me to remove this filter instead of replacing it, and I did so.

However, in a later conversation with a FNG AC technician, he said its a mistake to remove the filter, as leaves (especially damp leaves that fall during rains) can enter the AC plumbing, potentially causing blockage (best case) or rusting (worst case).

He advised me that this filter is a small price to pay for an otherwise time-consuming and expensive servicing/overhaul of the AC system.

I've not yet fitted the filter back (I intend to), as my car is under covered parking most of the time, and since I never use fresh-air mode. However, please take heed of his warning if your cars are outside more.

Its even more of a concern with cars that have automatic climate control, since these systems tend to default to the fresh air mode on a cold start, increasing the likelihood of leaves and dirt entering.

I also wonder if some manner of mesh can be fitted at the cowl that contains the fresh-air entry, to serve as a more easily cleaned first-stage filter.
Old 28th September 2013, 21:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

I had planned to get this filter cleaned but to my amazement out of the 5 workshops that I visited 4 said Indigo doesnot have a pollen filter while 1 guy said that it would require removing the dash and quoted 1500 for the job. Guys any idea if Indigo does or doesnt have this filter? I am experiencing less than normal air flow and less cooling.

Mods: could you please make the thread title generic by removing the "civic owners". There is no generic thread on this I searched and this is most near to the entire issue of having or not having one.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 28th September 2013 at 21:56.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 08:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

This issue (if we call this an issue) is not only with Civic but with many other cars probably.

Making the thread name more generic here.
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 10:30   #13
BHPian

Its there is my Swift ZXi and missing in Ertiga ZDi.
Old 29th September 2013, 18:41   #14
BHPian

wah wah.... Look at these cars which are not "built to a cost" and look at the Duster which is. And still has this inexpensive filter (costs 600 to replace)

And it has european roots in countries which are not inherently hot and dusty as India is.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2013, 19:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys any idea if Indigo does or doesnt have this filter? I am experiencing less than normal air flow and less .
As far as I know ,there is no filter. Get the evaporator coil cleaned. A thin guy has to get under the dash and clean it with "coilshine " or other such chemical. If it has been 3-4 years since you had the AC serviced,I suggest you go the whole hog and get the whole AC serviced.gas refilled,coils cleaned,leak checks etc.dashboard has to be removed. Check @AutoIndian s indicated thread for the details.
drsingh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks