Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:02   #136
BHPian

Re: Clutch judder & vibrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Sadly nothing more to be done. But maybe get a second opinion at FNG. If there was no such issue before you dropped for service, could have escalated. (Did the service advisor take a test drive any highlight any issue prior to service?)

These days you should keep an eye out for new issues after servicing, as you can never blindly trust service centers anymore.
There wasn't any issue before service. I remained present with car throughout the service. They didn't touch the gearbox, then how come the noise can originate from there after service. Can clutch master cylinder be at fault ?
Old 12th August 2021, 22:56   #137
BHPian

Friends,

Here is the video of juddering happening every morning during cold start.
Can you advice what sound is this?

MASS is not able to find the solution.

Old 2nd July 2022, 16:56   #138
Senior - BHPian

I am facing this Clutch Judder issue in our Elite i20 Diesel (March 2015) that has run 2,50,030Kms (Yes Two lakhs fifty thousand kilometres). The Clutch is Factory fitted. Touchwood.

The clutch Judder is present only in first gear.
Fuel efficiency is around 22kpl (Tankful to Tankful method) and pickup is also good.

I had shown the car to my Regular FNG, who told the following-
1. Pressure Plate has worn out. The fingers of Pressure plate have become uneven and hence not sliding on clutch plate correctly which is causing juddering. Hence the Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, Release Bearing need to be replaced with new ones.
2. The Engine and Transmission Mounts are weak but can go for 30-35000Kms more before replacement. And weak Engine Mounts and Transmission Mounts are not causing Clutch Judder issue. Even after replacing Mounts, the clutch Judder issue will persist.

Please advise on the above issue.
Thank you in advance.

EDIT-
The clutch does not Judder on level ground but only on incline surface.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 2nd July 2022 at 17:00.
Old 11th September 2022, 01:20   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I am facing this Clutch Judder issue in our Elite i20 Diesel (March 2015) that has run 2,50,030Kms (Yes Two lakhs fifty thousand kilometres). The Clutch is Factory fitted. Touchwood.

Fuel efficiency is around 22kpl (Tankful to Tankful method) and pickup is also good.

1. Pressure Plate has worn out. The fingers of Pressure plate have become uneven and hence not sliding on clutch plate correctly which is causing juddering. Hence the Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate, Release Bearing need to be replaced with new ones.
2. The Engine and Transmission Mounts are weak but can go for 30-35000Kms more before replacement. And weak Engine Mounts and Transmission Mounts are not causing Clutch Judder issue. Even after replacing Mounts, the clutch Judder issue will persist.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT-

Okay first of all wow! That's the first time I have heard of an i20 covering that sort of mileage. Makes me feel like holding on to mine for longer.

Second of all, did the car really cover 250k kms on the stock clutch? That's insane, even people in countries with well developed highways and long distances of traffic free commute mostly manage only around 150k kms on the stock clutch. 250k kms in Indian road conditions is crazy.

I have the same issue with the clutch judder on my 2016 i20 crdi that has covered just 60k kms. It started around 45k kms and has gotten worse over time. Initially it was only when you tried to launch the car and I thought it might be wheel hop due to how violent it was. A bit more research and it's apparently the clutch after all. It's gotten worse and now I face it on inclines as well. Maybe because of uneven clutch wear? Once it's actually fully engaged, its completely fine. I figured I would replace the clutch once it has worn out and starts showing signs of slippage and that should hopefully fix it because the labour charges for opening it up just for inspection would be a bomb anyway. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.
Old 11th September 2022, 23:41   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post

Thank you in advance.

EDIT-
I would start by replacing the engine and gearbox mounts. With such high mileage thare is a chance that these might give up soon anyway. In a case like this go for the cheapest solution first.
How does he calculate that the old mounts will last another 35,000 km? This is not possible.
If this does not work you can start looking at the clutch.
My car has passed 420,000 km on the original mounts but my driving style is not harsh.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 21:09   #141
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post

I have the same issue with the clutch judder on my 2016 i20 crdi that has covered just 60k kms. It started around 45k kms and has gotten worse over time. Initially it was only when you tried to launch the car and I thought it might be wheel hop due to how violent it was. A bit more research and it's apparently the clutch after all. It's gotten worse and now I face it on inclines as well...
My 2016 Ciaz petrol sometimes gives judders while on a bit steepish inclines and in the process of engaging gear 1 from a standstill. These judders happen only sometimes. It has done 34K kms and I drive quite sedately. No juddering/shuddering on flat or surfaces where incline is more gradual.

I am not sure whether something is wrong or it is just the gearbox working as it should on inclines. I have started noticing this since the last half a year, and don't remember this from before- maybbe my memory is faulty and manuals always do so.

Any ideas/help are thankfully welcome.
Old 3rd December 2022, 03:18   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
My 2016 Ciaz petrol sometimes gives judders while on a bit steepish inclines and in the process of engaging gear 1 from a standstill. These judders happen only sometimes. It has done 34K kms and I drive quite sedately. No juddering/shuddering on flat or surfaces where incline is more gradual.

I am not sure whether something is wrong or it is just the gearbox working as it should on inclines. I have started noticing this since the last half a year, and don't remember this from before- maybbe my memory is faulty and manuals always do so.

Any ideas/help are thankfully welcome.

It is not normal. Go get it checked.
Old 3rd December 2022, 08:31   #143
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
It is not normal. Go get it checked.

Thanks very much! I will have it checked next time I get a chance to see the service adviser.

Most Viewed