Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 16:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Some issues (clutch judder, vibrations etc.) with my new Swift ZDi

Replaced the engine & transmission mountings on my 2002 Santro & the clutch judder is gone.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:42   #17
BHPian

My ZDI gives a vibration & boom sound while accelerating over 2K rpm. The phenomenon was visible at 4th and 5th gear. EGR was cleaned, air filter and oil changed twice. I recently filled petrol from a ne w petrol bunk and the vibration now occurs at 1800-2000 rpm.

This phenomenon started after my 20k service. I changed to mineral from synthetic and transmission oil was changed during the 20k service. Had complained of it, the service center was suspecting an EGR issue but even after cleaning the EGR, it persists. Before the service, I also noticed some small oil leak near the front left intermediate drive shaft, which the service center wanted to replace under warranty.

I am wondering if it is an issue with the clutch spring as I read elsewhere that some of the new swifts manufactured prior to May 2012 had a faulty spring which needed replacements.
Old 16th April 2014, 22:56   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
My ZDI gives a vibration & boom sound while accelerating over 2K rpm. The phenomenon was visible at 4th and 5th gear. EGR was cleaned, air filter and oil changed twice.
What kind of vibration? Where is the vibration felt? Where is the boom sound heard?

Quote:
I recently filled petrol from a ne w petrol bunk and the vibration now occurs at 1800-2000 rpm.
You own a ZDi and you filled petrol?! Lol

Anurag.
Old 17th April 2014, 00:53   #19
BHPian

Me too have a similar judder in the 1.8~2k region, especially in 4th and 5th gear. Its more like a resonating vibration actually. I have RD box installed. The amount vibration increases from the stock to P2 mode. That said, if I back off from the throttle a little bit in that rpm range the vibration wont come/or the intensity will be less.
Old 17th April 2014, 10:32   #20

I am facing the same kind of issue in my Punto(MJD - 10,000kms ). Car did not lug. In third or fourth gear, when I decelerate between 2000-1500RPM, I get a booming sound(along with clutch pedal and floor vibration).

Experts. Please let me know the reason.
Old 17th April 2014, 12:11   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balavj27 View Post
I am facing the same kind of issue in my Punto(MJD - 10,000kms ). Car did not lug. In third or fourth gear, when I decelerate between 2000-1500RPM, I get a booming sound(along with clutch pedal and floor vibration).
Check the engine and transmission mounts. These could be weak or problematic transferring the vibrations into the cabin floor.

Anurag.
Old 19th April 2014, 14:11   #22
BHPian

Mine is very similar to @vaishakr without the box. Definitely a resonating one. the vibrations are felt on the gear lever and the vehicle gives a boom resonating sound. Suspected EGR, got them cleaned, air filter changed, loose mounting of air filter tightened, checked for the exhaust line touching the body - nothing found. The clutch needs to be checked.

Front intermediate drive shaft needs replacement for me as there is a mild oil leak. Need to fix it, refill the transmission oil and check if this vanishes. I am waiting for MSM to call me once the spare part arrives. After which I will take the issue again with Maruti.
Old 19th April 2014, 17:21   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Mine is very similar to @vaishakr without the box. Definitely a resonating one. the vibrations are felt on the gear lever and the vehicle gives a boom resonating sound.
What about the engine and transmission mounts? Were these checked?

Anurag.
Old 25th July 2014, 10:27   #24
BHPian

I have a Swift ZDi which has completed 32k km in about 20 months. I am having a similar problem to the one mentioned above. My car has a terrible vibration which starts at around 1900 rpm and completely vanishes once it crosses 2000 rpm. This happens only in 4th and 5th gear. The vibration started a few thousand kilometers back and its noticeably increasing by the day. The vibration is so bad that the entire dashboard shakes.

I have also noticed that the vibration is at its least when u feather the throttle. Smooth acceleration means reduced vibration. But a slightly heavy push on the pedal leads to this mini earthquake.

I have shown this to Sai Service Hinjewadi in Pune during my 30 K service and the intelligent service advisor told me that it will be cured by wheel balancing! Obviously the problem did not go away and I will be taking my car there once again tomorrow.

Will update the progress once it happens.
Old 25th July 2014, 11:04   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
My car has a terrible vibration which starts at around 1900 rpm and completely vanishes once it crosses 2000 rpm. This happens only in 4th and 5th gear.
This is when the bad boy gets up from sleep a.k.a the turbo charger. The vibrations that you feel in 4th & 5th gear from 1800 to 2100 RPM is when the turbo is at its peak.

I am suspecting the engine mounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potenza View Post
the intelligent service advisor told me that it will be cured by wheel balancing!
Do give that SA a treat or gift from my end. Also if possible ask him to go on a long holiday. He is stressed out.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 12:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Ditto happening with my car too. Between 1800-2000 rpm,from gear 3 onwards there's jerking and slight vibration.This is more noticeable when driving on highways than within city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
This is when the bad boy gets up from sleep a.k.a the turbo charger. The vibrations that you feel in 4th & 5th gear from 1800 to 2100 RPM is when the turbo is at its peak.

I am suspecting the engine mounts.
Did you face this issue in your Ritz ?
Old 25th July 2014, 12:28   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Ditto happening with my car too. Between 1800-2000 rpm,from gear 3 onwards there's jerking and slight vibration.This is more noticeable when driving on highways than within city.

Did you face this issue in your Ritz ?
Yes. But it wasn't attended as the car was sold before the service.

I do feel it in the Swift too but NOT alarming enough. There is a mild vibration that is seen only when pedal-to-metal. Normal relaxed acceleration doesn't get those vibrations.

My swift will go for the 20K service in 7 days. Will see then with my SA what has to be done.

Anurag.
Old 25th July 2014, 12:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes. But it wasn't attended as the car was sold before the service.

I do feel it in the Swift too but NOT alarming enough. There is a mild vibration that is seen only when pedal-to-metal. Normal relaxed acceleration doesn't get those vibrations.

My swift will go for the 20K service in 7 days. Will see then with my SA what has to be done.

Anurag.
Oh,so nothing to be alarmed about then. I also observed this jerking a while ago but have been postponing getting it checked. Do let me know if you're able to get the issue sorted out at 20k service
Old 30th July 2014, 13:59   #29
BHPian

Okay guys, Here's an update which I think should help people experiencing the vibration between 1800~2000 rpm on their Swift diesels.

As planned I gave my car to Sai Service Hinjewadi on Saturday 26th July. Gave the SA another demo of the vibration and he accepted that there was a problem. Post that they put the car on a two post lift and greased all the suspension mounting points and bolts. While doing that I was told that they are just trying to see if its a suspension issue, if not then its definitely an issue with the engine mounts and they would need to be replaced.

We went for a trial after the suspension was lubricated and there was no difference. The vibration was still the same. They kept my car to change the engine mounts and said they will call me once done.

I got a call on Monday 28th July from the SA who requested me to come for a Test Drive. They had replaced all the engine mounts except the big hydraulic mount and wanted me to check the car. Upon driving the difference was apparent. The vibrations were muted and the vibrations which used to pass from the front to the back of my car were now isolated to the engine compartment. I told him that I was not totally happy because this was how the problem started in the first place and I was sure that it would increase. I have kept my car with them and they are now going to replace the hydraulic mount as well which was not done earlier since the part was not available.

Will update after getting my car back. But now I am at least confident that the problem has been identified and replacing the hydraulic mount will solve the issue.

Last edited by Potenza : 30th July 2014 at 14:13.
Potenza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 14:39   #30
BHPian

Guys, I have a question here. Are engine "mounts" same as engine "bedding"?

My understanding of the term "bedding" is nothing but rubber that's supposed to stop the transmission of engine vibrations into the cabin and other parts of the car. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Now, in case the bedding is weak (Symptoms = The car shakes during starting and stopping and also jarring/vibrations at lower speeds in higher gears), will the rubber bedding have to be replaced or can it be "repaired"?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks