Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2016, 08:31   #106
BANNED

Re: Clutch judder & vibrations

The first time this judder problem was observed in my Swift the odometer was 40K where I replaced the clutch plates + Pressure Plates + Clutch Release Bearings when the odometer was ~42K kms this was almost 1.1 years back and now I am sad to report that the issue is BACK!

The odometer now is 83K kms. So the difference is 41K. Find this Bizarre to have the problem re-appear at the same odometer as it was during the 1st time.

I am thinking of getting the clutch plates + pressure plates to be replaced at the FNG. I'll let the release bearings stay this time.

Shall update on my decision to what I'll be doing.
Old 25th July 2016, 01:12   #107
BANNED

With past experience in this area of problem, I went ahead and replaced the Clutch plate, Pressure plate and Flywheel.

Here are the finer details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4021384

She is now back to her original smoothness post the Plates and Flywheel change with no vibration / Clutch judder at 2000 RPM.

Hopefully this is the last thing I do major on the car till she is there with me.
Old 2nd August 2016, 11:13   #108
BHPian

Couldn't find any other suitable thread, so posting here.

Today morning while dropping my daughter off to school, the clutch pedal of my i10 started to feel loose all of a sudden. The play has increased and everytime I release the pedal there's this highly muted thud sound coming from the pedal / footwell area. There seems to be no problem with the clutch engaging or the drive itself though.

Being not much of a technical person myself, request help from BHPians to identify what the problem is, and if I should be worried about this?

TIA, Ramesh
Old 3rd August 2016, 23:15   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
the clutch pedal of my i10 started to feel loose all of a sudden. The play has increased and everytime I release the pedal there's this highly muted thud sound coming from the pedal / footwell area.
The i10 has a cable clutch system compared to a hydraulic system in cars one step up (like Getz). What this means is that its a simple assembly starting with a linkage cable from the pedal area, all the way to the release arm modulating the clutch according to pedal movement. Unlike hydraulics this is fully dependent on the cable movement when engaging the clutch, the problem starts when the cable breaks, deforms or loses tension/tautness over a course of time. This may not be a case of breakage as the clutch wouldn't engage if so.

The tension is usually adjusted using the adjustment nut in the assembly which would address the free-play of the pedal if any. This may have something to do with deformation or some sort of wear-tear of the cable in which case the cable can easily be changed and tuned to stock functioning. Get it checked out at the station for a more accurate diagnosis. Driving is not recommended if the noises come from releasing the pedal as this may well lead to a breakage of the cable.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 21:35   #110
Senior - BHPian

I was experiencing two issues with my Ertiga's clutch (2012 ZDI, 40K driven)
1. Vibrations when turbo spools in (noticeable in 4th and 5th gear)
2. Vibrations when clutch bites. It wont happen once the clutch is fully released.
There was no clutch slippage even with these 2 issues.

During my 40K service at Bimal Maruti, I changed the clutch plate, pressure plate and flywheel. The original clutch had good life in it but the flywheel was found to be bit burned. The release bearing was found to be in good condition, hence wasn't changed.

Post the change issue #1 is completely gone, but Issue #2 is still there. I took the car back to Bimal who bled the clutch again to solve issue #2, but the vibrations didn't go away.

Now SA is saying this is normal for a 4 year old car. Any idea what next to do?
The vibrations are really annoying and very noticeable if the car is on an upward incline (forward or reverse).

Last edited by arjithin : 17th November 2016 at 21:36.
Old 18th November 2016, 01:30   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Post the change issue #1 is completely gone, but Issue #2 is still there. I took the car back to Bimal who bled the clutch again to solve issue #2, but the vibrations didn't go away.

Now SA is saying this is normal for a 4 year old car. Any idea what next to do?
The vibrations are really annoying and very noticeable if the car is on an upward incline (forward or reverse).
What did they say about your engine mounts? I have seen a similar problem in a maruti. In that car, the clutch was nearing its end but vibrations were due to weak mounts. Do your car make a noise on turning off?
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 09:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
What did they say about your engine mounts? I have seen a similar problem in a maruti. In that car, the clutch was nearing its end but vibrations were due to weak mounts. Do your car make a noise on turning off?
Engine mounts are not checked, but I dont see any other symptoms of a weak engine mount. Heavy in gear acceleration doesnt cause any vibrations or jerks. The problem started at 30K km (an year back) and at that time the vehicle was just 2.5 years old. No sound while turning off/on.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 09:57   #113
BHPian

Seems like a recurrent problem among the maruti's, i am also facing the same issue and in the past i had to change the clutch plates/pressure plates/flywheel/release bearing after which the entire operation was smooth now after about 40k kilometre i am facing the same issue, judder when the clutch engages and its more prominent on a climb.

Looks like i will change the entire set-up again,as changing just a few parts do-sent resolve and again removing gearbox etc takes quite a bit of time, hence just replace the entire stuff in one go and finish it of.

Incase someone does pin point as to what the actual cause it then please do post it for benefit of other members.
Old 18th November 2016, 11:36   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
The problem started at 30K km (an year back) and at that time the vehicle was just 2.5 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Seems like a recurrent problem among the maruti's.
I agree that there is something wrong with either the quality of the clutch plates or the design.

I had this clutch judder specifically at 2000 RPM in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear with highest noticeable vibration in 5th gear. Totally frustrating to drive around with that kind of vibration.

First time the issue was observed at 43,000 kms so I changed the Clutch plates, pressure plate and clutch release bearings. All was good to the odometer read 83,000 kms. Again the same vibration so changed the clutch plates, pressure plate and Flywheel. Clutch release bearings were in good health so skipped it during the 83,000 kms change.

Hopefully the vibrations don't surface again soon but looking at the trend, I'll be experiencing this again at 1,23,000 kms time.
Old 18th November 2016, 13:05   #115
BHPian

Hi All,

So I have an Elite-i20 Crdi which is about 14 months old with 28K in the ODO. At times, in fact, almost everytime I get the pulsating feeling when the clutch is half-depressed in Bangalore's stop and go traffic.

Can someone please throw some light on this? I have a 5K trip coming up in a few days and I just want to ensure that nothing's wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Rahul

Last edited by verma_rahul : 18th November 2016 at 13:07. Reason: editorial
Old 18th November 2016, 14:43   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
Hi All,

So I have an Elite-i20 Crdi which is about 14 months old with 28K in the ODO. At times, in fact, almost everytime I get the pulsating feeling when the clutch is half-depressed in Bangalore's stop and go traffic.

Can someone please throw some light on this? I have a 5K trip coming up in a few days and I just want to ensure that nothing's wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Rahul
Pulsating feeling on the clutch pedal? Does it come when you do a half clutch and launching?
Old 18th November 2016, 15:18   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Pulsating feeling on the clutch pedal? Does it come when you do a half clutch and launching?
No, I am very careful about my car and I do treat it with all respect
It generally happens when the clutch is half-pressed and the car is in motion while in traffic, maybe at a speed of 5kmph or so.

Is there something to worry about?
Old 18th November 2016, 23:27   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!

Rahul
It is something to do with diesels with the DMF flywheel. My Figo diesel had the same issue. Now at 40K, the pulsing feeling has gone faint. There are no issues with slippage or noise but. You can try bleeding the clutch too.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 09:38   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
I had the car checked for engine mounts and nut/bolts, all looks fine. Clutch bleeding also done for the second time; but the problem persists. Will try to talk to Bimal Maruti service manager again today.
Old 21st November 2016, 11:49   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No, I am very careful about my car and I do treat it with all respect
It generally happens when the clutch is half-pressed and the car is in motion while in traffic, maybe at a speed of 5kmph or so.

Is there something to worry about?
Mostly its a flywheel issue. i20 Diesel uses a dual mass flywheel.

Push for a clutch replacement under warranty
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks