Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 17:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: STANADYNE Diesel Fuel Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Dadu, is the one in Yeshwantpur ?
Yes, infact its far from my place but got I it picked through someone who stays close by, they charged INR390(5rs Discount) for it.

Quote:
Hema Diesels
20/1, 1st Main Road, 6th Cross, L.N. Colony, Yeshwanthpur, Opp. Adishwer Electro World
Bangalore, Karnatakka 560022
If you plan to go there, can you check the price for the Performance Formula Junior bottle ?.

Last edited by dadu : 21st June 2012 at 17:14.
Old 21st June 2012, 20:49   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I've run my diesel cars for a cumulative 500,000 kms without a single additive, EVER. And they've run as well as the best have. What really matters is pure, unadulterated diesel. Find a pump that serves pure fuel and stick with it.

Some manufacturers categorically warn against using any additives for their diesel engines.

Yes, I'm a non-believer.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 23:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

GTO, at least for us tata Indica/indigo owners, System D is a tata recommended additive, and I think everyone who has tried it swears by it (to the point that since now we're deprived of it, we absolutely MUST have some). I bought out the stock of a dealer in orissa. Should last me for a few more months. I might even bug one of my friends to send some from there
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've run my diesel cars for a cumulative 500,000 kms without a single additive, EVER. And they've run as well as the best have. What really matters is pure, unadulterated diesel. Find a pump that serves pure fuel and stick with it.

Some manufacturers categorically warn against using any additives for their diesel engines.

Yes, I'm a non-believer.
You're right, Diesel quality matters but the CRDI's with precision injection and all the sensors and ECU control are quite sensitive to any fluctuations in the diesel quality and adulteration/ water retention by diesel etc. DI engines were like monsters who could gobble any kind of diesel without any stomach aches and who had heard of these then.

Engine flush, Fuel/Oil additives etc are all add-ons which enhance the engine running environment by chemically enhancing the properties of its oil/ fuel(not recommended by many manufacturers) but since you already are a believer of engine flush hopefully someday you will start trusting other forms of additives too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
GTO, at least for us tata Indica/indigo owners, System D is a tata recommended additive, and I think everyone who has tried it swears by it (to the point that since now we're deprived of it, we absolutely MUST have some). I bought out the stock of a dealer in orissa. Should last me for a few more months. I might even bug one of my friends to send some from there
You should make the switch to newer formula's, its basically chemistry, better chemical combinations results in a better product.

Last edited by dadu : 22nd June 2012 at 09:03.
Old 22nd June 2012, 09:53   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, I'm a non-believer.
Absolutely, count me in that non believer team.

IMO, additives whether in fuel or in engine oil are a rip off. I stopped using Speed ages ago and had posted my views a few minutes back in the OWS 'vitamins' thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nt-change.html

I can't believe learned auto enthusiasts like TBHPians fall for the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
since you already are a believer of engine flush hopefully someday you will start trusting other forms of additives too.
I beg to differ here. Engine flush is not an additive. It is a single use formulation that is used whilst changing oil on high mileage engines. In fact most manufacturers, including Toyota, don't recommend a flush even for high mileage engines. Using a flush has its own risks.

My brother's 2002 Safari saw zero benefit from use of System D - that Tata recommended fuel additive. He wisened up and chose to stop using it. With no ill effects I might add. Only good quality diesel was filled. That engine was purring even at 50K kms althought there were other quality related issues with that car.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd June 2012 at 10:07. Reason: typo & added new response
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 10:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Absolutely, count me in that non believer team.

IMO, additives whether in fuel or in engine oil are a rip off. I stopped using Speed ages ago and had posted my views a few minutes back in the OWS 'vitamins' thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nt-change.html

I can't believe learned auto enthusiasts like TBHPians fall for the hype.
They believe since they see the difference . One should stop using it if no difference is seen based on experience, I agree.

Quote:
I beg to differ here. Engine flush is not an additive. It is a single use formulation that is used whilst changing oil on high mileage engines. In fact most manufacturers, including Toyota, don't recommend a flush even for high mileage engines. Using a flush has its own risks.
Its an additive formula to clean the engine from inside which if you go strictly by principle's is supposed to be taken care by your engine oil itself: clean engine and push to the oil filter, but flush is more effective therefore people use it.

Anyway all this(additive or not) is here.

Last edited by dadu : 22nd June 2012 at 10:53.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its an additive formula to clean the engine from inside which if you go strictly by principle's is supposed to be taken care by your engine oil itself: clean engine and push to the oil filter, but flush is more effective therefore people use it.
IMHO if you use a good engine oil, especially synthetic, and filter and change both at regular intervals, there's absolutely no need of a flush even when the engine has clocked high mileage. I have posted a few links below - this site, the Car Bibles, is a recommended read for all automobile lovers.

More on flush:

Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

On additives and other wondrous add ons, some that that defy logic.

Car Bibles : The Fuel and Engine Bible: page 6 of 6

I agree that some people would prefer to use it, but I wouldn't. No flush, no additives. I prefer to avoid increasing running costs as I already use the best possible engine oil/filter and fuels in my vehicles.

But to each his own.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3. Cold & hot Weather Protection, Increases Horsepower, Reduces Fuel Consumption, Easier and Faster Starting - in all conditions, Reduces Smoke and Particulate Emissions. See details here.
All these benefits for only Rs.390/-? No offence meant, but it really seems to good to be true, and probably is. I have only 1 question for fuel/oil additive manufacturers - why isn't their product a super-duper hit in the market if all the above claims are true? We Indians are game for anything that will increase the mileage of our vehicles,reduce vehicle maintenance cost etc, right? So why aren't products like Stanadyne/System-D/STP/OWS etc setting the cash registers of their sellers on fire?

Quote:
Yes, I'm a non-believer.
Quote:
Absolutely, count me in that non believer team
Totally agree. It's a placebo effect at best. Just like filling nitrogen in your vehicle's tyres, using acetone in fuel etc etc.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 22nd June 2012 at 11:46.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
All these benefits for only Rs.390/-? It really seems to good to be true, and probably is. I have only 1 question for fuel/oil additive manufacturers - why isn't their product a super-duper hit in the market if all the above claims are true? We Indians are game for anything that will increase the mileage of our vehicles,reduce vehicle maintenance cost etc, right? So why aren't products like Stanadyne/System-D/STP/OWS etc setting the cash registers of their sellers on fire?
Although above 3-4 posts are but do you really think all good things do well in this world, including good people ??

Its like medicine, sometimes a different combination by a different manufacturer cures your headache although there are many other headache medicines dont work.

I use it sparingly as I can see the benefits of it.

Last edited by dadu : 22nd June 2012 at 12:02.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have been using System G in my SX4 for a while now, but use it once every 3000 kms- TBH, i see no perceptible difference in performance or smothness of teh engine.

Now that my Scorp is nearing the 15 K mark, i was contemplating a fill or two with System D, but given how sensitive CR engines are, Im not so sure its a good idea. I usually tank up from pumps in NCR and so far only once experience bad diesel, which resulted in a gruffer engine note and excessive smoke. Got the next fill from the BP pump on Lodi road, and the Scorp was purring like a contented kitten.

So add me to the list of non-believers.

a bit OT but worth mentioning. those of us in our late 30s and beyond will probably remember this. Do you remember the time when fuel was filled, esp in 2 wheelers, using a funnel with a wire mesh at the bottom? recently i was in a remote area in my SX4 and needed fuel. so with much trepidation, i pulled into a rural petrol pump and happened to spot the very same funnel! Just for kicks, and out of a feeling of nostalgia, i asked the pump attendent to see if the nozzle fitted the SX4's filler cap, and sure enough it did. So I asked him to pour fuel thorugh that and placed 2 circular sheets of filet paper in the cone of the funnel (i happened to have picked some up for my kid's school project!). i was amazed when the fuel filling was through. the filter paper had some serious amount of muck stuck to it!!!! imagine the damage this can do to our engine over time.
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:16   #26
BHPian

I am very skeptical about additives and even the 3M Salesman could not sell any to me. I am also worried about the damage they may cause rather than fix something that ain't broken.
What do the Car Manufacturers have to say about these in general?
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:35   #27
F50
Senior - BHPian

I have never used any sort of additives. My Swift Vdi has done 65,000 kms and I have shifted to Mobil 1. Just by changing to Mobil has done great difference. The engine is smooth as butter all the time, whereas when using mineral oil the smoothness lasted only for initial 100 kms.
I don't mind trying it out for a month or so as long as its harmless. The link mentioned has no stores proper Bombay all of them in Thane, Vashi or Pune.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:37   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Although above 3-4 posts are but do you really think all good things do well in this world, including good people ?? I use it sparingly as I can see the benefits of it.
dadu, please don't take offence. I am not trying to hijack this thread with points on the relative value add by additives or the lack thereof.

Just my views which are in line with the experiences and views of GTO, sgiitk, comfortablynumb among others.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dadu, please don't take offence. I am not trying to hijack this thread with points on the relative value add by additives or the lack thereof.

Just my views which are in line with the experiences and views of GTO, sgiitk, comfortablynumb among others.
No offence taken, its a healthy discussion, I have requested the mods to branchoff to an appropriate thread to do justice to this and other thread, we can continue the generic additive discussion there(once done).
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
I have never used any sort of additives. My Swift Vdi has done 65,000 kms and I have shifted to Mobil 1. Just by changing to Mobil has done great difference. The engine is smooth as butter all the time, whereas when using mineral oil the smoothness lasted only for initial 100 kms.
I don't mind trying it out for a month or so as long as its harmless. The link mentioned has no stores proper Bombay all of them in Thane, Vashi or Pune.
Quoting from their Brochure:

Quote:
All Stanadyne Diesel Fuel Additives can be blended with each other and “double-dosing” is not damaging — although it may not provide twice the benefit.

Where engine and vehicle Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have approved Stanadyne, most of them recommend Stanadyne Performance
Formula, which should be used at every refueling year-round to ensure protection against fuel related problems and to maximize performance.
I think that a Big statement to make and a Big difference compared to all other manufacturers who quote that they will not be liable for any damages due to overdose specifically in US where you can sued for everything and anything you Quote for your product.

This shows the trust they have in their product and builds our trust too. I like it.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks