Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2006, 00:11   #31
BHPian

I usually fill full tank to full tank.
This works for me because it reduces the number of trips to the pump and provides a consistent reference point to calculate FE.
Old 19th April 2006, 11:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
no.
this auto cut off is not a reliable thing to be assumed as something to measure a thing!
quite often it gets stopped on itws own even when tank is more than half empty!
it can't be assumed as a measure point to measure anything!

to calculate the fuel economy it is better to rely on your car's 'low-fuel-indication-lamp'.
well said man........auto cut happens when spme fuel touches sensors installed on tip of handle that goes in tank.While refuelling fuel may touch sensor anytime due to current/wave made by fuel.
Old 19th April 2006, 12:29   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravbasu
1. It might add extra weight to the car but will also add in stability to the car.
Debatable, to say the least. How much fuel does your tank takes? At best a full tank may add 40kgs... I have doubts about what kind of stability it brings, if any.

Quote:
2. This would prevent the metallic fuel tank from rusting due to water content in adulterated petrol we get now a days.
As you rectified elsewhere... its actually the moisture content in the fuel and not water. By the way SLK... have you seen a palio's Water in the fuel indicator?

Quote:
2. Always opt for Auto Cut-off mechanism for refilling tank to FULL (good to measure the FE).
Uhuh... not a very good thing mate. That auto-cut thingie has too much tolerance level. The same pump will give you different results each time. A better way is to fill it to the brim. That is, once the auto-cut has triggered fill manually till it is full upto the neck. You will get a consistent result.

Quote:
4. When not using the car so much make sure that the fuel tank is atleast half tank and above (to prevent fuel loss due to evaporation and prevent rusting of metallic fuel tank).
Yes... the evaporation increases as the fuel comes in contact with the atmosphere. More the level of fuel lesser is the air inside the tank. Automatically reducing the evaporation effect. To draw an analogy, Take a bucket full of water and keep it aside. Nothing noticeable will happen. Now just put half a glass of water in an empty bucket and then see the effect after the whole day. If not completely dried up at least a major part of it would have dried up. With fuel this effect is many times more.

Quote:
5. Only risk with full tank is that the Car with full tank is more prone to damage by fire in case of accident.
haa haa haaaa... if you have the tank completely empty it won't have any risk at all No, on a serious note that sounds a bit far-fetched. Except for a good few Palio cases I have never heard of the fuel tank catching fire in other cars.
Old 19th April 2006, 12:46   #34
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
As you rectified elsewhere... its actually the moisture content in the fuel and not water. By the way SLK... have you seen a palio's Water in the fuel indicator?
No, I have not seen water in the fuel injector.
But I don't understand....
According to me .. fuel can not mix with water or water vapour. Water vapour is just not soluable in fuel/ petroleum products.
Though if the tank is empty... there is more air and more atmospheric water vapour... that does the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Yes... the evaporation increases as the fuel comes in contact with the atmosphere. More the level of fuel lesser is the air inside the tank. Automatically reducing the evaporation effect. To draw an analogy, Take a bucket full of water and keep it aside. Nothing noticeable will happen. Now just put half a glass of water in an empty bucket and then see the effect after the whole day. If not completely dried up at least a major part of it would have dried up. With fuel this effect is many times more.
I tend to disagree... but can't explain much why!
I say its just the area of contact with the atmosphere which does the evaporation and the total quantity does not matter.

Total quantity would matter if.... we talk about evaporation through raising temperature by boiling... as more quantity would resist increase in temperature.

PS: Just my thoughts.... I could be wrong.
Old 19th April 2006, 13:04   #35
BHPian

Auto cut off works just fine for my car....I normally ask the attendant to put the dispenser in auto and leave it, till it cuts off by itself. And everytime the tank takes in the normal amount of fuel, which is correct according to the FE my car gives. Have been doing this for a few years now.

Btw my car is a Palio and I top up my tank with every visit to the bunk, thats between 38 to 42 litres, weekly. Fill up 95% of the time at the same bunk. Only use 2 other bunks for the balance 5%. The reason for doing it this way is only for my convenience and for not paying any surcharge on my charge card.
Old 22nd April 2006, 03:10   #36
BHPian

A tankfull most of the time. No hassles later.
Old 22nd April 2006, 09:50   #37

Auto-cut Fuel Tank

The autocut of fuel top-up can be followed as per your car's manual. Ford Fusion manual recommends upto two auto-stops! Beyond this, the fuel is likely to spill.

The habit of getting the refills from the same gas station is good and regimentry!

A friend of mine takes the trouble of getting petrol filled in measured cans (such as 10 lit. ones) and actually transfers the same into his vehicle! Say that this can check if the fuel dispensed is correct or not.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
Auto cut off works just fine for my car....I normally ask the attendant to put the dispenser in auto and leave it, till it cuts off by itself. And everytime the tank takes in the normal amount of fuel, which is correct according to the FE my car gives. Have been doing this for a few years now.

Btw my car is a Palio and I top up my tank with every visit to the bunk, thats between 38 to 42 litres, weekly. Fill up 95% of the time at the same bunk. Only use 2 other bunks for the balance 5%. The reason for doing it this way is only for my convenience and for not paying any surcharge on my charge card.
Old 22nd April 2006, 11:17   #38
BHPian

Filling to top always helps.. I cannot bother myself to visit the fuel pump more than twice in a month.. Wastes quite a bit of time!

Reset the mileage counter.. and it makes it very easy to compute the FE (mileage/top up literage).. And another thing I've noticed is that it gives the right amount of interval to check air levels too..

I *always* check air pressure at every fuel top up.. Ensures you get optimal FE apart from ensuring a smaller chance of running into a flat tyre..

The only time I found a tank full was an overkill was with my 100cc bike.. the thing used to run about 700 km on a tankfull.. which used to take me quite a while to cover!
Old 28th September 2006, 08:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Fuel filling habits

While in local driving I fill 50 Ltrs as I also add acetone & castrol super T in it. Hence the calculated ratio. Also it lasts me for a while. FE is checked only after every 5000 kms when the Safari comes back from its service. That time it requires two tank fulls to calculate. The tank fulls are brim-to-brim manually after the auto-cut off kicks in..:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc_cool
Filling to top always helps.. I cannot bother myself to visit the fuel pump more than twice in a month.. Wastes quite a bit of time!
Old 28th September 2006, 11:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Auto-cutoff is essential guys. Trying to fill to the brim makes the fuel go everywhere. You will start ruining your fuel gauge (both my OHC's and a friends Palio's were ruined due to this happening once too often by careless attendant) or pump or expansion reliver, etc.

The most hilarious practice I see is of guys desperately shaking the car to get in 10ml more of fuel inside. At times 4 guys - 3 station guys and owner/driver helping. Then when he drives off I see .5/1L spilled on the floor!
Old 28th September 2006, 11:41   #41
BHPian

Well! I fill Full tank to full tank. I drive an Alto and the tank capacity is 35 Ltrs. So when the needle touches the red mark, i go in for a refill and consistently it has been around 30 ltrs to be refuelled again.

Advantages:

1. Less trips to petrol bunk
2. Get to know Mileage details
3. If I need to change from Speed to Shell, then it would be better to have tank to tank change.
4. In my case 2 full tanks I run a month.
Old 28th September 2006, 11:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
The most hilarious practice I see is of guys desperately shaking the car to get in 10ml more of fuel inside. At times 4 guys - 3 station guys and owner/driver helping. Then when he drives off I see .5/1L spilled on the floor!
Hmm this is interesting, Even I do this i.e. shaking the car to get some more fuel but yeah its only me & not 3-4 guys & never saw any fuel spilled over. How I know because I usually fill up & park my car ahead & then come back to collect the fuel reciept
Old 28th September 2006, 12:06   #43
BHPian

I dont think it is advisable to fill the tank completly. Since the weight of the car increases if it is full tank. The best option is having half tank rather than full tank.
A full tank can be considered when on a long stretch.
Old 28th September 2006, 12:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarine
I dont think it is advisable to fill the tank completly. Since the weight of the car increases if it is full tank. The best option is having half tank rather than full tank.
I disagree how much weight would 30-40 liters of fuel put ? this would be less than the weight of an adult, besides when you fill less fuel you make more visits to fuel bunk now if thats not on your daily route you consume more fuel for going to that place besides since fuel tank is at rear slight weight at back would only mean better weight distribution in car
Old 28th September 2006, 13:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarine
i do not think an extra weight of 20 kgs will make any difference to the dynamics of a car.

Most Viewed