Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 11:50   #196
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Got the RTB replaced in my Fiesta yesterday. Took full day at the service centre for the job. Was informed that had this not been for the company recall, the whole procedure including labour would have cost 25K!!

Got a free car wash as well..
Old 14th September 2013, 10:45   #197
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Are our cars being recalled again for the same issue? The recall is about rear suspension and steering column. The news isn't giving much clarity. It is everywhere from Hindustan Times, Indian Express and Times of India.
Old 14th September 2013, 10:59   #198
BHPian

Just now checked the http://www.india.ford.com/ford-servi...service-action link and found that Ford isn't recalling the already recalled cars. Confirmed from the VIN. Mine isn't in the batch. So, I can rest easy.

Mine was earlier recalled & RTB was changed.
Old 14th September 2013, 12:02   #199
BHPian

I checked on the same link and there is a 'Field Service Action' on my Fiesta (2010). My car was recalled and the rear twist beam replaced last time. This time its the PS hose. Ah well... Sunday morning plan chalked out for me.

Edit: Called up Harpreet Ford Okhla. They apparently have no idea about the recall

Now waiting for them to call me back with further information.

Last edited by toothless : 14th September 2013 at 12:12.
Old 15th September 2013, 06:46   #200
Senior - BHPian

Went to Metro Ford Quick Lane for regular service of my 2010 Fiesta yesterday without knowing this. Then they replaced the power steering hose also. Read in Times of India at Metro Ford itself and clarified with SA that the replacement was part of the recall. Checked the Ford website and my car is listed in that. Had replaced the rear twist beam last year. Good that it was done as part of service. It took around 2 hours to do the job.
Old 13th July 2016, 08:59   #201
BHPian

Ford Fiesta Power Steering Hose Test?

Hello people
Swapped a nice used Fiesta 1.4 for my Ikon a couple of months back. Happy with it for the most part. Until it started smoking a couple of days back. Now, smoking is injurious to car health as well, so the issue had to be fixed. White smoke coming from the exhaust headers. So I popped the air filter box, and saw the power steering hose was leaking (not much, just a drop now and then).

Called up Satyam Ford in Thane, confirmed that the part was in stock, and booked an appointment for yesterday (12/07/16). Reached there before 10 AM. Was promised it was a two hour job, and that the car would be back by 1 PM. Considering that it was Satyam Ford, I said okay, and set up one of my work meetings for 3 PM.

As it turns out, the car of course wasn't ready even at 3. Removal of the old hose was fairly standard. Replacing it with the new one was not. They put it back together, filled up the reservoir, and it leaked at the joint where it connects to the pump. The mechanic said it was simply a press fit into a nut with an O-ring, and that a bit of pressure would fix it. Three tests (and three liters of PS fluid) later, the issue still hadn't been fixed. This included using a 1.5 inch dia GI pipe like a crowbar to force the hose into the nut! I asked the SA to have a better look at how they were doing it after these shenanigans. Finally the mechanic said the NEW hose was faulty, and that he would replace it. Of course, they did not have another hose in stock. I went outside to cool off a little bit while they sorted out what to do. I came back, and the SA said only the nut was faulty, and that they would replace it with a new one. Which they did. No leaks. Car went for washing, and was ready at 6.30. Bill:9.5K. The hose itself is around 7.5K. Add PS fluid and labour (and perhaps the new nut as well- I didn't see the bill detail). Took it for a test ride.

It seemed to be running well. I was asking them to give me an extended warranty on the hose, only at the connection which kept breaking. The SA refused, claiming that it was good as new with the new nut. I figured a hose meant to be press fitted only once surely would not survive five fittings. But it seemed to be holding up. I decided to test it under more pressure.

I revved the car in neutral to 4K (this is a petrol car), and turned the steering end to end where I knew the pressure was the highest. Three seconds later... an almighty bang and the hose was out again. Switched off the car and had it pushed into the facility again. They gave me a loaner till the time the part is back in stock again. Asked them not to replace the part until I was there personally to oversee the fitting. Not happy with the loaner at all. It is a diesel Ikon, and I love the Ikon. But this one has an insanely dinged up windscreen that makes it impossible to drive at night (along with headlamps that are worse than low beam at high beam. At low beam they illuminate the first three feet in front of the car). Non functional driver side mirror and the seat angle cannot be adjusted. Thus far I have not gotten into an argument with them, and things have been civil even though I am seething on the inside (including this thing where the mechanic tried to con me by saying there was no O-ring in the replacement hose).

I am wondering how to proceed. I agree the test I did was a bit extreme. But I figure the hose should be able to take it. I don't drive the car that way, but on a petrol it is not exactly rare to reach 4k at a full turn (car stuck in mud perhaps?). I would like some input:

1. What is the correct procedure to insert the hose into the nut?
2. Was the high pressure "test" I performed valid? Or would all hoses give up?
3. Should I escalate the issue to Ford India? Not only was my day ruined, but now I am not sure the hose will hold up after they are done with it. I'm at a loss why I am shelling out 10K for this service. I never dispute the labour cost, but almost 1k labour for this kind of work seems a bit much. If they installed it properly, I wouldn't have argued against the 1K labour. And then there was the con they tried to play on me.

Inputs appreciated.
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 22:14   #202
BHPian

They replaced the hose under my watchful eye today. The hose is indeed a press fit, but can be fitted with a hand, no special tools or crowbars needed. A nut goes on the pump. Then the hose is press fitted.

The (new) new hose survived my test as well. No leakage now. Final damage to wallet: 9.2K
RM2488 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks