Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 23:33   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Reacall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Is yours a titanium variant? It only applies for the Titanium variant which has the ABS wiring.

I will get you the pics tomorrow. They are clips cum cable tie wraps.
Yes, mine is the Titanium variant.

Manufactured on 6th Dec 2010. (Thanks to wildon )
Old 15th August 2012, 00:36   #77
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Reacall

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Even my car lets our creaking sounds when someone heavy, like me, gets out of the rear seat. Only recently have I started occupying the back seat with my son driving, and the creaking sound comes only when I get out of the car.

I thought it was a normal sound ,but now having second thoughts. But my car is not in the field action list, as it is a 2007 model. I think I will get it checked up next month when I plan to get it serviced.
I have this same sound from my figo(petrol) right from day one.Asked the dealer and an independent mechanic and they both dismissed it as normal sound made by the rear coil springs.I have also heard this sound in some first gen swifts and have a similar sound, but much lesser in my new Honda city! does this sound have anything to do with the Twist beam?? i feel no but anyone with more knowledge can please clarify.
GTO,Vid6639??

thanks!
Old 15th August 2012, 08:30   #78
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Even my Figo is in the FSA plan. It was purchased on September 2010. The dealer did not even bothered to call me. Anyways I talked to them and got a booking on 23rd August. They said they will check it and then if necessary will change it. Arent Ford replacing it in all the Figo's rather than inspecting it and then changing. I have hear a faint noise from the back whenever I had the opportunity to sit at the back. Apart from this I am planning to get the ECU firmware updated to rectify the engine stalling issue.
Old 15th August 2012, 11:51   #79
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

Just to clarify - this is not replaced under warranty. This is replaced no matter how old your Figo/Classic and if has the older RTB.

Good move by Ford.

But they should have posted letters to every owner - they do have a detailed database of all owners.

My guess is - they took time to get enough stock of the repair part and to train the mechanics to replace this part before letting this news out to the papers. Within the next few days, owners will be flooding the service centers with questions. I set an appointment to avoid disappointment.

I just looked at the Global recall thread and noticed that every manufacturer is doing this.

In fact my sister was initially skeptical of going ahead with Figo - but she realized that the company was doing the right thing and she felt it was good that they owned up the mistake and took responsibility to fix it.
Old 15th August 2012, 16:17   #80
BHPian

Went on 14th to get the RTB checked and 3rd paid service done. The mechanic involved in checking and changing the RTB was real fast (Due to his time to open Roza) and inspected/chenged and test drove in an hour. I guess the change was done in almost all the cars brought for the FSA. Old RTB's were marked/tagged and a pic was clicked.

There seemed to no difference in the old and new RTB. At least to the naked eyes. After replacement, I was not able to mark a difference in the ride.

Attaching scanned copy of the FSA receipt:

Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-kudli.jpg

A pile of replaced RTB's:

Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-photo0053.jpg

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 15th August 2012 at 16:20.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 18:10   #81
BHPian

Ford recalls 1.28 lakh cars for suspension, steering issues

Ford has announced a recall of about 1.28 lakh cars for technical issues relating to the suspension and power steering, making this the biggest ever recall in the Indian auto industry.

All the recalled units are of Ford Figo and Fiesta Classic models. 1.11 lakh units manufactured between January 2008 and December 2010 will be inspected for issues relating to the rear twist beam and rear axle. An additional 17,665 units of petrol variants produced between September 2010 and February 2011 will have their power steering hoses inspected and replaced.

Ford has advised its customers to log on to their website and check their vehicle identification numbers (VIN) to know if their vehicle is subject to recall (Ford India Private Limited - Field Service Action).

Incidentally, of the four vehicles in its portfolio, the Figo and Classic models have been the American carmaker’s saving grace in the current sluggish auto market, accounting for about 90% of its total sales this fiscal.

Recall summary

This recall surpasses Maruti Suzuki’s recall of 1lakh units of the A-star for a faulty fuel pump in February 2010. However, Tata Motors reportedly took off 1.4lakh units of the Nano last December to replace the starter motor, but refrained from calling it a ‘recall’.

The move by Ford comes a month after the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) announced their Voluntary Code on Vehicle Recall which encouraged car manufacturers to voluntarily inspect and rectify safety defects originating at the plant.

Auto recall policy is a norm in the Western countries. While it is taking off in India, the lack of an independent agency to serve as watchdogs for the auto manufacturers is a setback to consumers. In this scenario, Ford’s move is a bold one as it reflects their commitment to customer safety, despite the potential blemish on their market reputation. Honda and Toyota had also announced recalls running into thousands of units last year. However, Tata Motors' Nano activity (as mentioned above) was an exception.

Related threads

Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall

India to have a "Recall" Policy by end of this year
DukeNukem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 19:28   #82
BHPian

Re: Ford recalls 1.28 lakh cars for suspension, steering issues

Oh no! I guess I must inform it to my brother so that he could get his Fiesta classic inspected. This, indeed, is one of the biggest recall ever held in India. I wish Ford should take meticulous attention and detail to every aspect of their cars in upcoming future. Anyways, thanks for telling.

S@ndy
Old 15th August 2012, 20:26   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford recalls 1.28 lakh cars for suspension, steering issues

Mine is a petrol fiesta from 2006.
However, I was at noida ford yesterday, and ran my VIN through, and was told that I am to be in for a power steering hose recall. So, people with older models, you may also want to check your VINs.
Old 15th August 2012, 22:56   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Here you go Sheel. Look at the white cable ties. Earlier these were neat clips.
Hey Vid, I can't see anything mate. Maybe the attachment failed to upload
Old 16th August 2012, 01:39   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hey Vid, I can't see anything mate. Maybe the attachment failed to upload
Oops. Sorry about that. I tried uploading from phone but couldn't.

Here you go Sheel. Look at the white cable ties. Earlier these were neat black clips.

In the below pic both clips were replaced with cable ties seen in white.
Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-20120815_190309.jpg

In this pic the clip on the left is OE but on the right near the exhaust is now a cable tie.
Ford Fiesta (old) and Figo Rear Twist Beam & PS Hose - Service Program / Recall-20120815_190318.jpg
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 12:19   #86
BHPian

How easy it is to detect a defect if under-body coating is done on the car? What is the red-fluid test - an ultraviolet examination to find cracks?

BTW,

Good move by Ford - Bad communication by Ford Brand/Marketing team.

Good move in the sense, they are at least acknowledging the defect. It is unlike HP-NVidia laptop frying issue (no recall- not even acknowledging it as issue!) or the NOKIA BL-5 battery issue(minor recall - but all defectives ones not covered). Both companies are now in issue because people lost faith in them - In Indian context, lay man never comes to know about the defect(even if advertised in newspaper)

FORD can simply do a email/SMS/Print mail campaign for this. People get atleast an email a month from FORD India regarding new product launches and other stuff - but not a single email regarding a recall/product issues.

Looks like Indian companies need to learn a lot in handling communication - especially communication regarding an issue with a product in which the poor man put his faith on. The budget for communication plan may be high, but the rewards are long term and improves trust in brand.
Old 16th August 2012, 14:31   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
But I wonder why they messed up with the power steering hose again on petrol Fiestas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I remember a few Fiesta owners long time back had reported on the forum about the hose developing leaks due to contact with the hot engine and subsequent steering loss.
I am facing this problem on my 2005 Fiesta 1.6!!

In fact, its happened to me THREE times times so far. And the hose that needs to be replaced costs about Rs. 4,000 each time!!

What happens is a small crack/leak forms, and drips PS fuild onto the hot engine parts - resulting in white smoke rising from beneath the hood after the engine gets heated up.

Was there an earlier recall that i missed? Will my car be applicable in this fix, even though it falls outside the model years specified.

Thanks,
R
Old 16th August 2012, 15:11   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I am facing this problem on my 2005 Fiesta 1.6!!

In fact, its happened to me THREE times times so far. And the hose that needs to be replaced costs about Rs. 4,000 each time!!

Was there an earlier recall that i missed? Will my car be applicable in this fix, even though it falls outside the model years specified.

Thanks,
R
The below thread has information about past action by Ford on the power steering hose :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l-fiestas.html

By the way, three times is way too frequent. Did you not get it replaced under warranty when it happened first?

In my case, it was found to be ok when they inspected, but gave way last year, way after EW was over. I approached Ford MD with an email, and they got it done free for me.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 16:46   #89
BHPian

Hi friends ,

I got it done at Bhavna ford , the procedure was easy and they cleared my car in 1.5 hrs. There was no crack found in the RTB and they told me the inspection was done well. Hope i don't face any issue in future. However i still hear some noise from the rear end if 2 people sit behind. They wanted to check the suspension but as i was in hurry i thought of getting it done next time during service.

regards
Amol
Old 16th August 2012, 17:46   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hi,

Ford has emailed a reply to your post as under:
I have the same issue with my Figo as mentioned above. Every time the oil accumulates, I report it to my Ford dealer who just pressure washes the area and returns the car saying its not a major concern. But for the past 3 months I have been hearing a new 'hissing' sound from the power steering and a weird sound from the rear side. Had a chance to show my car at Ford last month as I was passing by. Even the drive test adviser said that the steering noise is because of the oil leakage and the rear sound could be because of the spoiler/ caliper pin being loose.
I then left my car at the service station last week for 4-5 days as I had to get my windshield changed (thanks to the repairing work in my building). Reported these issues too. After getting the car back (and even removing the rear spoiler), both the sounds/noises could still be heard very clearly. Gave a piece of my mind to the customer representative (who again wants me to drop my car for a couple of days at Ford) and left with my figo as I have to use it for my daily office drives in Ramazan.
Good thing is that my RTB has been replaced with a new one

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks