Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 18:32   #931
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Bad picture, but:

Attachment 170128

Somewhere in SH11 between Alleppey and Changanacherry.

MapMyIndia software.
Is the Map of Kerala by MMI software is good and detailed? Also which GPS device you use? please mention with model Number too

Last edited by wildon : 5th August 2009 at 18:35.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:48   #932
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Right now I am using Motorola A1200 and I installed MgMaps on it. I am able to see the stored map of my city on the Motoming.

Now I am planning to shift to Asus P320 (Thanks to tight budget). It has got WiFi and GPS, which is the reason I am going for it. I have following querries:

1. Can I use internal GPS with the MgMaps software on this phone?
2. I want to trace my vehicle on the map and would like to store the route
whenever I go to places.
3. I DO NOT want to use GPRS so is it possible offline with the stored maps?

Anybody having first hand experience with Asus P320 and gps?
Old 5th August 2009, 19:32   #933
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Though I don't have a first hand experience with the phone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
1. Can I use internal GPS with the MgMaps software on this phone?
2. I want to trace my vehicle on the map and would like to store the route
whenever I go to places.
3. I DO NOT want to use GPRS so is it possible offline with the stored maps?
Anybody having first hand experience with Asus P320 and gps?
1. Yes.
2. Since it would be a windows mobile, you have umpteen other choices (freeware) to do that.
3. Mgmaps does work with stored maps, so you can use it without a GPRS connection.

I have a HTC P3400i which is almost similar but does not have GPS built in.

But this phone would be slow as the RAM is quite less.

Last edited by trrk : 5th August 2009 at 19:33.
Old 5th August 2009, 20:13   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
I would recommend trying MapmyIndia iNav it certainly is best of the lot. Not only it is low on resources but also updated upto latest stuff as well.
should load it up on my phone.My cousin's got the cracked version of it. its 300 Mb of data though but worth it I'm told. thanks mate.
Old 6th August 2009, 00:07   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I have a HTC P3400i which is almost similar but does not have GPS built in. But this phone would be slow as the RAM is quite less.
Works just fine on the 3400. Less RAM does not make it slow (one doesn't use PC logic in the WiMo world), the CPU used is of moderate power. With that CPU itself the navigation software works properly.

Have used MMI on a 3400 with an external BT GPS receiver. I liked MMI better than Destinator-based Satguide.
Old 6th August 2009, 10:16   #936
Senior - BHPian

My question is more or less related to Asus P320. It has got WiFi and GPS both. Thats why I was wondering if I go for this phone will I be able to use built in gps with mgmaps for navigation without the use of GPRS.
Old 6th August 2009, 11:39   #937
BANNED

Mmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Is the Map of Kerala by MMI software is good and detailed? Also which GPS device you use? please mention with model Number too
Yes, MMI has detailed maps for 26cities of kerala and the latest version has been pretty detailed in terms of coverage and fairly accurate..(oneways still is a big problem...beware).
Old 6th August 2009, 13:32   #938
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Please read the following for the device details:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post1341256

To the extent that I have used it is fine. In Kollam, by giving the longitude and latitude, it took me to two destinations without hitch. Though I had a general idea about the location of one, the second was totally new. More than me the owners of the property were amazed that a small fist sized equipment could lead me correctly in one of the small byelanes. Why! I was amazed too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
should load it up on my phone.My cousin's got the cracked version of it. its 300 Mb of data though but worth it I'm told. thanks mate.
Don't hesitate, I use the same / similar one. Works both in the navigator as well as the phone. There are versions with exe which will run the software in the portrait mode in phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Works just fine on the 3400. Less RAM does not make it slow (one doesn't use PC logic in the WiMo world), the CPU used is of moderate power. With that CPU itself the navigation software works properly.

Have used MMI on a 3400 with an external BT GPS receiver. I liked MMI better than Destinator-based Satguide.
I was comparing the Asus P320 with its bigger cousins. Somebody else had mentioned elsewhere that the 320 is slow. No personal experience, though!

I have a 3400i (the only Win mobile that I have used so far) and for my experiments it is more than sufficient. And yes, MMI does work flawlessly in it with an external BT GPS receiver. Have used several GPS freewares too in the phone.

I am in no way a technical person and so would not even know enough to talk about PCs or WiMos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
My question is more or less related to Asus P320. It has got WiFi and GPS both. Thats why I was wondering if I go for this phone will I be able to use built in gps with mgmaps for navigation without the use of GPRS.
I reiterate that it would work without GPRS. All you have to do is have the necessary maps in your phone's storage card and use the mgmaps offline maps facility.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:39   #939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I reiterate that it would work without GPRS. All you have to do is have the necessary maps in your phone's storage card and use the mgmaps offline maps facility.
Thanks bro !!. I have opened a query in the mobile thread giving my requirements and budget, lets see which phone ppl recommend me given that I want WiFi and GPS both in the phone.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:53   #940
Senior - BHPian

Neo,

Suggest you chat up SSTraveller and bblost - they use its big brother p527.

And maybe google a bit - there's enough resources addressing the how regarding your question
Old 6th August 2009, 15:17   #941
BHPian

Hello tech gurus, I am a naive to this GPS world but very interested to learn. I have couple of WinMo phones. One a smartphone and the other is a PDA phone(t-mobile MDA). Could you please let me know how can I start venturing into this world of GPS? I do understand that we need a BT Receiver for having the location identified and making the maps work. Could you please help me understand what all I need to get started?
Old 6th August 2009, 15:24   #942
Senior - BHPian

First install some free package like Google maps and mgmaps. These are easiest to install.

These would work with most BT receivers. BT receivers would cost 3k.

Later, you can add some GPS Navigation package.

BTW< I would suggest buying a cheap chinese unit for $80 (with shipping) instead of spending money on BT receiver.
Old 6th August 2009, 15:49   #943
BHPian

Thank you netfreak. Would you suggest some online sites where I can get a basic BT receiver?
Old 6th August 2009, 16:08   #944
Senior - BHPian

eBay India: HOLUX GR 239 BLUETOOTH GPS RECEIVER WITH BILL &WARRANTY (item 380145458980 end time 10-Aug-2009 07:07:32 IST)

This would work and it plugs in car charger socket.

However, I think software that this seller is "giving away" is pirated.
Old 6th August 2009, 16:25   #945
Team-BHP Support

I looked at foreign sites also and price of Holux BT receiver is similar everywhere (60$ on dealextreme)
However you can go to your local computer parts and electronics market(I am sure Hyd has one), and buy it retail, cost will be 32-3300 approx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks