Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:23   #916
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Google maps have nothing to do with PND/mobile etc., If the software you are running supports google maps, then you are fine. For example I use google maps or OSM maps with oziexplorer.
I have a Google Maps application in my Windows mobile as also in a Reliance CDMA Nokia phone which loads online maps through GPRS connection. I don't know whether this same application supports downloaded maps.

This was what was being discussed. This application may not work in a PND as this by default connects online for displaying maps.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:33   #917
Team-BHP Support

If your application does not support downloaded maps, in that case you can use different app. So yes, your particular application written for Windows Mobile OS may not work on Windows CE, or may work with strange bugs and issues.
Old 4th August 2009, 05:52   #918
BHPian

Hey Guys, I am wondering how to get the GPS working on E71 ? I am total newbie to this and am totally confused with things as of now. I am using the OEM nokia software as well as google maps, but these things seem to require internet connection all the time.

I mean when you are traveling, you do not have access to internet all the time, so how does it work ?
Old 4th August 2009, 07:47   #919
Senior - BHPian

I've got gps working on my windows phone (HTC P3300). it works brilliantly. Google maps works fantastically but unfortunately it pulls data through gprs which i don't want it to. I'm trying to make mapking software to work but it refuses to.very resource hungry. in turn , i'm using various gps based for checking speed ,avg speed, distance etc.
Old 4th August 2009, 09:55   #920
BHPian

hmm..I just actiavted the 90 day trial on Nokia maps thingy. No checking if I can download the maps on my PC and then transfer them to phone.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:11   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
I mean when you are traveling, you do not have access to internet all the time, so how does it work ?
Shashank, for that purpose you need to download google maps on your memory card. Also, the activated trial is for voice navigation only whereas maps are totally free & can be updated (Telling you based on experience with bro's newly acquired N85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
I've got gps working on my windows phone (HTC P3300). it works brilliantly. Google maps works fantastically but unfortunately it pulls data through gprs which i don't want it to. I'm trying to make mapking software to work but it refuses to.very resource hungry. in turn , i'm using various gps based for checking speed ,avg speed, distance etc.
I would recommend trying MapmyIndia iNav it certainly is best of the lot. Not only it is low on resources but also updated upto latest stuff as well.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:24   #922
BHPian

Thanks Ashish bhai..do you know how to update the maps ? I would stil use the Nokia software for the time being as I need it only for this trip.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:58   #923
Senior - BHPian

Try these steps for offline google maps: Works smmoth on HTC3300
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1109162-post681.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
BTW, the latest version of MGMAPS does not requires GPpsport anymore

Last edited by rkbharat : 4th August 2009 at 11:00.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:12   #924
BHPian

Bharat bhai...thanks. I followed this post earlier and I am already downloading the maps using the same.
Old 4th August 2009, 11:24   #925
Senior - BHPian

I use Google maps on my Nokia N78 whenever I need to find a place!
As I have unlimited internet plan on my phone, its so easy and all the maps are up to date.

It can even find individual shops by names!! a great travel companion.

+ Google maps has a 'Latitude' feature that updates your friends locations on the map in real time(depending on whether or not they are running latitude on their phones)
great to find them in an unfamiliar place/mall

And when I need a way back home, I just fire up Nokia maps and its voice guidance guides me back home.

PS. my phone snugly fits in the speedometer area of my M800!
Old 4th August 2009, 12:03   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmm..I just actiavted the 90 day trial on Nokia maps thingy. No checking if I can download the maps on my PC and then transfer them to phone.

You can try Gamin as well. It comes with the same maps as Nokia. Both Nokia maps and Garmin use the same maps (Navteq maps).

Nokia's navigation service is quite expensive. Garmin maps area available for 2K now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I use Google maps on my Nokia N78 whenever I need to find a place!
As I have unlimited internet plan on my phone, its so easy and all the maps are up to date.

It can even find individual shops by names!! a great travel companion.
One great thing about google maps is that ability to save search results as favoreit on the phone. Then it becomes available in Nokia maps as well.

So if Nokia maps does not have names of some Shop / School etc then you can use Google maps to look that up and use Nokia maps for Navigation.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 4th August 2009 at 12:10.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:21   #927
Senior - BHPian

Nokia Maps

Quote:
Hey Guys, I am wondering how to get the GPS working on E71 ? I am total newbie to this and am totally confused with things as of now. I am using the OEM nokia software as well as google maps, but these things seem to require internet connection all the time.

For Nokia you can use map loader, this will load the maps onto your memory. You can choose from different countries, India is there too. Then you will not require an internet connection to use Nokia maps.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:06   #928
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Bad picture, but:

Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-image_217.jpg

Somewhere in SH11 between Alleppey and Changanacherry.

MapMyIndia software.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:12   #929
Senior - BHPian

@trrk, you got to do better than that unless you wanted us to see only ghosts.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:23   #930
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
@trrk, you got to do better than that unless you wanted us to see only ghosts.
The intention was to show the number of satellites that it locked onto.

It was a rare instance as a passenger in my own car. Then what more can you expect when the car is an NHC and the camera happens to be what comes in my HTC.

Will try and do better next time.

Last edited by trrk : 5th August 2009 at 18:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks