Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 14:33   #826
Senior - BHPian

For me, if I know a certain route exists and the rough idea of how it goes thru and where I am at that particular point, I can ask and go. No need for routing. So, the offline maps will work well for me.

Lancer_rit: Righto about the tiles issue. Now with the whole of south india downloaded, I do not think I will mess with that. Will take too much time and bandwidth for me to do it now, since I am back in Bangalore. So, till anythign happens majorly off, I am sticking to the default values in MGMaps.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:03   #827
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Finally, routing works the same way if you use online maps or offline maps, so I didn't get your point ? You need GPRS/EDGE access for contacting google.com, but since maps are locally stored, its
a) less download (lower cost)
b) faster to display the map (downloading map tiles over GPRS sometimes takes 30-40s or even more, so how do you navigate precisely @ that time)
c) Works for areas w/o GPRS/EDGE or even mobile signal access, if the route was already done where one had access!

Hope this helps.
Ok, I got it. So its google based. Thanks.

I tried downloading a few maps offline but it downloads at only 10-15kbps! will take ages. Is it just me?
Old 14th May 2009, 17:32   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Is there any GPS avialable in market which also works as mobile, its a great gadget, but worth only if it has mobile facility tooo, carrying two geomectry box is a tough job..
I heard some company launching it soon in India
any clues??
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay

Dear Ajay,

Yes Latest blackberry phones & I Phone, Andromeda (Google Phone) are all equipped with internal GPS
Old 14th May 2009, 17:53   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
...Yes Latest blackberry phones & I Phone, Andromeda (Google Phone) are all equipped with internal GPS
Does IPhone have GPS? Meaning, is it already released or is this a pipeline thing?
Old 14th May 2009, 17:59   #830
Senior - BHPian

Second version of iphone have GPS. Apple - iPhone - Features - Maps with GPS

But most of the packages (Destinator / Garmin etc) wont work. And Google's GMM wont do re-routing on the fly.

So not of much use at the moment. Should get better once better software is ported to iphone.
Old 20th May 2009, 18:03   #831
Team-BHP Support

GPS System Could Begin To Fail Within a Year - Business Center - PC World
Old 20th May 2009, 18:36   #832
Senior - BHPian

That one was scary......

When I read the discussion there, they are talking about the Expected Life Expectancy of the Sats., more likely they would go on for another 5 years and we would need only about 4 sats for a clear GPS lock... so things should be OK.

--
Old 23rd May 2009, 16:52   #833
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but I had a big pain in trying to view my KML files in Google maps and had to rely on Google Earth (which needed to be installed) to view the KML files. I also did not come across any mention of how to host the KML files for public viewing here at T-BHP.

Yesterday I hit the jackpot. Two site are there:
1. Display KML on a Google Map - www.thechrisoshow.com : here one can copy paste the content of the KML file and Google map is displayed on the right with the directions.

2. https://www.getdropbox.com : Here you neet to register, but once you do, you can upload your files for sharing. This is basically a file sharing tool, with the free account having 2GB. The kill is that you can have a public link to your files, so you can access them directly in Google Map (anywhere).
Old 23rd May 2009, 18:26   #834
Team-BHP Support

HappyWheels, you can directly attach kml file to your post. Then users who have Google Earth installed can simply click on your kml file and view it in google earth
Old 23rd May 2009, 20:07   #835
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes TSK, you are right, and that is how I used to view all the KML files, mine and those available here in the forum.

But what I was looking for was to do away with the requirement to install Google Earth. Knocking off GE (Google Earth and not the MNC!) was the objective.

With this, you can directly view using Google Map negating the need for any installation (Google Map requires the KML files to be hosted online and accessible, which is possible here).
Old 23rd May 2009, 22:33   #836
SLK
Senior - BHPian

anyone tried this? This is geeky 3dtracking
Old 24th May 2009, 07:11   #837
Senior - BHPian

I have been using it for long time now

GPS Visualizer: Draw a map from a GPS data file
Old 24th May 2009, 07:23   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Not sure if everyone is aware of this, but I had a big pain in trying to view my KML files in Google maps and had to rely on Google Earth (which needed to be installed) to view the KML files. I also did not come across any mention of how to host the KML files for public viewing here at T-BHP.
In my case, I have used googlepages site to host the kml file and then provide a link to view the kml in google maps. See the example I have created.

spadival - My Google Earth KML's

Google Maps lets you put the url of the kml file into the search box and view it.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:54   #839
BHPian

mapmyindia maps are available on eBay.in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
ah. Thankfully my wife is bad with navigation. One of the reasons why i am in the marked for a GPS

I mailed mapmyindia guys and I get a reply that they dont have a software for this model. Just asking me to buy their GPS devices.
try eBay India. mapmyindia latest version is available. please check with the seller if that is compatible to your hardware.
Old 24th May 2009, 08:56   #840
BHPian

mapmyindia won't sell their software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
tell them you want software for mio c230. Its the same thing with a smaller screen

they won't just sell the software for a PND. you have to buy their products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks