Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 11:32   #721
BHPian

OK just googled up a bit on this HDOP. Seems that the closer it's to 1, the better the accuracy of the 2d coordinates.
Fired up the GPS in my phone (indoors) and found that the HDOP was warying between 2.3 and 3.

Good, considering that it was inside a building, right ? What HDOP do you get with your antenna indoors ?
Old 1st April 2009, 11:56   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Guys,
learnt a few days back that Google has now "enabled" Driving directions on Google Maps. For the users of mgmaps, now you can actually do the routing on the phone, and follow the route :-)

At one point, I waited for this feature for long (or pleaded for Yahoo India to be added etc in mgmaps).

The routing in Google maps isn't always that great though. Going from BLR -> Hassan, will take you through
NH4-> Tumkur -> NH206 -> SH back to Hassan,
instead of the more logical
NH4 -> Nelamangala -> NH48 -> Hassan.

And there is no "Via" option in mgmaps to force an alternate route. Maybe google maps thinks, progress on NH4 will be faster ??

Cheers,
Thanks for this update. Not having a 'Via' option makes it inferior to MapMyIndia. However, I just took a peek, and Google is the first to show the new O.R.R. in Hyderabad.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:03   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for this update. Not having a 'Via' option makes it inferior to MapMyIndia. However, I just took a peek, and Google is the first to show the new O.R.R. in Hyderabad.
Google Maps are frequently updated esp. for big cities. So, its not a surprise. Mapmyindia, OTOH, has far wider coverage. I have the iNav WF on my phone, was well below my expectations for a commercial product - I posted a detailed review in one of the threads on the forum.
Unfortunately, Mapmyindia is clueless about one-ways etc as in BLR. Google Maps on web is better, need to check if this translates to driving directions.

Regards,
Old 1st April 2009, 12:19   #724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
OK just googled up a bit on this HDOP. Seems that the closer it's to 1, the better the accuracy of the 2d coordinates.
Fired up the GPS in my phone (indoors) and found that the HDOP was warying between 2.3 and 3.

Good, considering that it was inside a building, right ? What HDOP do you get with your antenna indoors ?
Actually the lower the better.
I get a HDOP is 0.9 outdoors, and about 2-3 indoors.
However in Kinnaur, driving along vertical and overhanging cliffsides, its dropped to 4-5.
At some places even with GPS antenna I lost signal momentarily. This happened when there were cliffsides both left and right of the road, or rocky tunnels.
Old 1st April 2009, 20:12   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually the lower the better.
I get a HDOP is 0.9 outdoors, and about 2-3 indoors.
HDOP of 0.9 ?

The theoretical minimum according to the formula for HDOP is 1.0.
Old 2nd April 2009, 08:08   #726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
HDOP of 0.9 ?

The theoretical minimum according to the formula for HDOP is 1.0.
Oh, my bad!
Actually I get 9 satellites and a HDOP of 1.1
Old 5th April 2009, 11:46   #727
BHPian

MGMaps and Google maps

Ok!

Thanks to this and the other thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...mystified.html

I have been successful in downloading Mysore maps from google maps from zoom level 0 - 19 overnight in about 15 hours and its working well on my N70. I am yet to get a bluetooth receiver, so locating myself is still sometime away. But the maps are working, and that is what I needed.

After this success, I have setup to download the entire South India. This should be useful while touring around and me not getting lost. I'll store the .map files for future and I plan to update my offline google maps once in 6 months. I suppose that should be enough.

I'll keep u guys update to my progress.

Cheers!

Prajwal
Old 6th April 2009, 10:57   #728
BHPian

After an entire 36 hours have passed, progress is still at 0.7% !! I am not surprised, since it had to download about 234million tiles at zoom 19. I cancelled it, and I am downloading at soom 17, which has about 1.4million tiles, and after an entire night, the progress is at 8.8%, which is more manageable.

Does anyone want these from me after I have downloaded it?

Prajwal
Old 6th April 2009, 20:10   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
After an entire 36 hours have passed, progress is still at 0.7% !! I am not surprised, since it had to download about 234million tiles at zoom 19. I cancelled it, and I am downloading at soom 17, which has about 1.4million tiles, and after an entire night, the progress is at 8.8%, which is more manageable.

Does anyone want these from me after I have downloaded it?

Prajwal
I think that it would be more appropriate to download 0-13 zoom level for the whole of south india. Even 0-14 would be ok.
I have the whole of north india on zoom 0-13 and Delhi and NCR 0-17.
Old 7th April 2009, 16:53   #730
BHPian

bharath nav? GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangerintown View Post
In the recent Mumbai Motor Show, I came across a stall of "Bharatnav". This is a new GPS manufacturers, who actually manufacture the GPS units somewhere near Pune in collaboration with a Korean company. Does anyone have any experience with Bharatnav or has someone who understands GPS systems evaluated them? Never having owned or used a GPS before I was in no position to compare their product to say mapmyindia.

Do they have a navigation equipment? or just a GPS receiver?
Old 7th April 2009, 16:59   #731
BHPian

inav on N95?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
Hi All, as mentioned by "ask77" i too use my N95 1gb with "Mapmyindia software". I purchased the Inav Loaded as it does not required a GPRS connection and all the map data is stored on the memory card. One thing i need to say out here, if there is anyone who has mapped our great indian roads its MapMyIndia. These guys have every single road mapped of the 170 cities that they boast of, and also to mention are the point of interests that they have. It can find you a restaurant, fuel stations, emergencies like hospital police etc anywhere.Ill try and share some screenshots from my mobile.

The mapmyindia iNav loaded will work with Nokia N95? I don't think so. For N95, if you are looking for offline maps (without GPRS), the only available option is Garmin Mobile XT with 240 city maps.

By the way Mapmyindia has released a newer version mapset with 407 cities.
Old 7th April 2009, 21:55   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Guys,
learnt a few days back that Google has now "enabled" Driving directions on Google Maps. For the users of mgmaps, now you can actually do the routing on the phone, and follow the route :-)

At one point, I waited for this feature for long (or pleaded for Yahoo India to be added etc in mgmaps).

The routing in Google maps isn't always that great though. Going from BLR -> Hassan, will take you through
NH4-> Tumkur -> NH206 -> SH back to Hassan,
instead of the more logical
NH4 -> Nelamangala -> NH48 -> Hassan.

And there is no "Via" option in mgmaps to force an alternate route. Maybe google maps thinks, progress on NH4 will be faster ??

Cheers,
Today I downloaded the route and converted it to GPX and used in my PDA, it worked fine. Google map direction has a ball which can be dragged to find alternative routes and if you select "by walking" it shows the shortest route. Waiting for this great app for a long time.
Old 7th April 2009, 22:01   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post
The mapmyindia iNav loaded will work with Nokia N95? I don't think so. For N95, if you are looking for offline maps (without GPRS), the only available option is Garmin Mobile XT with 240 city maps.

Thanks for the info on mapmyindia. Need to contact them.
Sure, there is iNav WF for N95 using mapmyindia maps. I use it myself :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Today I downloaded the route and converted it to GPX and used in my PDA, it worked fine. Google map direction has a ball which can be dragged to find alternative routes and if you select "by walking" it shows the shortest route. Waiting for this great app for a long time.
I agree that the route can be pulled through points on the browser display to 're-route' it. However, I was referring more to route calculation from the mgmaps application running on my N95 and contacting maps.google.com ...
Also, for the 'drag and re-route', I should mention that google maps still makes some strange routing choices at times - including going a longer path to join back the original routing.
Will try the 'walking' option as well...
Cheers,
Old 7th April 2009, 22:16   #734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post

I have been using Inav loaded for my N95 8GB for around eight months now . Works fine . Have been using it for Delhi and NCR and the result is excellent. I have also installed Garmin Mobile Xt with India maps and the result is not so aaccurate maps atleast for my city
Old 7th April 2009, 23:07   #735
Team-BHP Support

harjeev which software did you use to download mgmaps?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks