Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 16:23   #676
BHPian

sorry the quick post button got clicked accidently and i couldnt edit it quick enough . I have map my india wayfinder inav loaded software for symbian on my nokia n95 8gb . I find it quite useful , it has voice navigation as well as the map come preloaded and you dont need a gprs connection all the time also the license is transferable to other symbian device when i change my phone . the app. has life time license and free updates. the satguide software seems to be cheaper but i have not used it so i dont know how it compares with map my india inav.

regarding sirf iii chipset it is not necessary that all gps devices contain them because gps chipsets are being made by lots of chip manufacturers so you have to query whether the particular device has sirf iii some the chinese one are not that good . even the built in gps in nokia n95 takes at least 10 - 20m - min to lock from cold start while my gps bt module with sirf star iii takes hardly 1 min to lock. the sensitivity is also much better in bt module so that it can maintain sattellite lock even indoors. This is crucial when using gps in real time situations.
Old 27th December 2008, 17:37   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask77 View Post
I have map my india wayfinder inav loaded software for symbian on my nokia n95 8gb . I find it quite useful , it has voice navigation as well as the map come preloaded and you dont need a gprs connection
What is your experience with inav? Specifically as compared to built-in Nokia maps navigation?

I mean things like UI, ease of use and finding places.
Old 27th December 2008, 18:39   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
What is your experience with inav? Specifically as compared to built-in Nokia maps navigation?

I mean things like UI, ease of use and finding places.
Inav is much more user friendly and has much greater number of POI ( point of interest ) also it covers many more cities than nokia maps it does not require any gprs data unlike nokia maps which require some data download the only bit somewhat lacking is the voice navigation part where voice navigation instructions are more frequent and detailed in nokia maps than in Inav
Old 29th December 2008, 08:09   #679
BANNED

well i have been using the n82 for a year now the connecting to a satellite will take you a long time and according to its maps kerala does not exist !! not even road maps or NH routes available for kerala but on the same time the google maps software for your phone is amazing!! but too bad it needs a net connection or a gprs connnection to start it up(to download the maps) it has detailed maps of most places in india.
Old 29th December 2008, 08:55   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
finally success

I manage to connect to internal GPS of my HTC with mgmaps, now this is turning out to be a very good tool as it gives me the freedom to download any area map. Very useful where I do not need directions but need to keep my track.

Attachment 77275

Attachment 77276

Try mgmaps for downloading maps and beelineGPS for logging your track. There are many other endless tools I can list down for your requirements
Hi

How did you get your internal GPS from HTC to work with MGMaps. I have been trying it since long but could not do it. Can you please provide step by step guide so that I can also enjoy free maps
Old 29th December 2008, 11:00   #681
Senior - BHPian

Ok here are the steps I followed.

I gathered following softwares first:

1. JBED J2me container, the one in HTC does not allow file reading.(http://forum.mgmaps.com/download.php?id=466). Thread Mobile GMaps :: View topic - Use JBed instead of IBM J9 on Windows-Mobile. There are multiple version in the thread, try the one I posted the link first. if it does not work, let me know and I will test the other version.

2. mgmaps 1.4 http://wap.mgmaps.com/14/mgmaps-1_41_03.jad :

3. GPSPort. To split the GPS data to mgmaps.

Steps:

a. first install jbed on your HTC.

b. Then install mgmaps(1.4 version). Start jbed, menu, Install(either Browser if you have Wifi or GPRS or Local files).

c. For the maps. use Map Creation Tool for MGMaps to point the download area and save .map file. Select the zoom level ar required. I downloaded upto zoom level 11 for all north india and zoom level 17 for delhi and chandigarh, and merged both of them. Also google maps work well.

d. Download http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe, and in there select cache folder and in operation mode select "MGMAps mode, use .map file".

e. Once maps are downloaded, folder structure should look like \maps\North India\MGMapsCache\GoogleMap_0
\maps\North India\MGMapsCache\GoogleMap_1
\maps\North India\MGMapsCache\GoogleMap_2

etc...
Here North India is the main root folder of the maps

f. copy maps to Storage card, in the root. prefer copying using the card reader instead of direct connection to htc as it will take lots of time.

g. Now open Jbed and then launch mgmaps.

It might give you alert like , mgmaps wants to access internet, say no to all sessions. (please make sure that it is not an alert like mgmaps wants to access 127.0.0.1, because you need to say yes to it, though it will come only after to set the stored maps on).

h. Go to menu/setting/maps/Stored Maps, Check Stored Maps and Offline mode. in the Stored map folder enter following:
Storage Card/maps/North India/MGMapsCache

Assuming you have following folder structure on the card

CARD/maps/North India/MGMapsCache/GoogleMap_*****
Save.

Then again go to Menu/GPS/Setup/Select Device/ and check the GPSGate radio

Save and exit mgmaps.

i. start gpsport, its just an executable, no need to install, put it some somewhere and link on today screen.
Set Input COM4
Set Putput 20175.
and hit start button.

j. now again launch mgmaps from jbed,

IMP: It will prompt to allow access to 127.0.0.1, for GPS data, allow yes to all sessions.

k. You are all done, to use it effectively here are some tips:

To move the maps as as per you current location.

Go to menu/settings/GPS/Mobile Tracking/
check Show marker
check Move Map

Hope this will help, let me know if does not works and error.

BTW bad news is that I lost my HTC last week , could not live without it as it was loaded to neck. good part is that I had a self destruct app install on it which do a hard reset on new sim unless I set it off. So all the data will be erased.

Bought ASUS P552W, with much faster processor, better GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi
How did you get your internal GPS from HTC to work with MGMaps. I have been trying it since long but could not do it. Can you please provide step by step guide so that I can also enjoy free maps

Last edited by rkbharat : 29th December 2008 at 11:03.
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2009, 21:15   #682
BANNED

Quote:
both are bluetooth gps receivers . the satguide receiver has sirf iii chipset which is the best chip for gps receivers . any software can be used with these receivers. You need a symbian based software from either map my india or satguide . I am using map my india inav loaded of map my india and find it quite
The mapmyindia receiver is also a sirfIII as per their website?
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:44   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok here are the steps I followed.
Hope this will help, let me know if does not works and error.
I tried your process on HTC Touch (the original one), but was stymied by a couple of things:
* mgmaps says "This device does not support a file system" when I try to configure Stored Maps
* mgmaps says "This device does not have Bluetooth", whereas I have coupled a Holux device via Bluetooth and assigned COM6 as the port to it

What gives?

BTW, where do we get this "gpsport" executable?
Old 4th January 2009, 09:35   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
The mapmyindia receiver is also a sirfIII as per their website?
Yes on reading detailed specs for mapmyindia receiver seems to be sirf star iii
Old 4th January 2009, 10:57   #685
Senior - BHPian

What version of J2ME container you are using?

I have not tired with Bluetooth GPS device. I will try to get hold of one and test it.I am sure you must have selected blutooth in GPS settings, bluetooth started etc etc

I downloaded it from mgmaps site, but could not find the location now. I can send it to you on mail if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
I tried your process on HTC Touch (the original one), but was stymied by a couple of things:
* mgmaps says "This device does not support a file system" when I try to configure Stored Maps
* mgmaps says "This device does not have Bluetooth", whereas I have coupled a Holux device via Bluetooth and assigned COM6 as the port to it

What gives?

BTW, where do we get this "gpsport" executable?
Old 6th January 2009, 19:55   #686
Senior - BHPian

Nokia maps + navigation just got better.

Nokia - Nokia Maps 3.0 with Maps on Ovi - Beta Labs

Now you can :

1. Browse and plan routes on PC
2. Some landmarks / buildings have 3D vector images. Not sure if any of Indian cities have that feature yet.
Old 7th January 2009, 10:01   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Nokia maps + navigation just got better.

Nokia - Nokia Maps 3.0 with Maps on Ovi - Beta Labs

Now you can :

1. Browse and plan routes on PC
2. Some landmarks / buildings have 3D vector images. Not sure if any of Indian cities have that feature yet.
will try this out and report back. lets see if they have improved data on Indian cities
Old 7th January 2009, 11:03   #688
BHPian

Quote:
will try this out and report back. lets see if they have improved data on Indian cities
supports only S60 3rd Ed FP2 . my nokia n95 8gb is S60 3rd Ed FP1 device so it is not supported although the video on the site shows a fellow demonstrating the new software on a N95 8Gb they say update for fp1 devices are coming soon so will try it as soon as available
Old 7th January 2009, 12:01   #689
Senior - BHPian

With this version, you can try out maps on PC as well.

Mumbai maps have been updated and lots of buildings have 3D images. Gateway, BSE, Oberoi, VT and so on.
Old 8th January 2009, 19:07   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What version of J2ME container you are using ...
Esmertek Jeodek - Build ID: 20070425.1.1, midp2.0/lockstream. (JBed is also from Esmertec)

This comes built-in - I even re-flashed the ROM and reloaded the mgmaps application. The "This device does not support a file system" error persists when I try to specify Stored Maps! :-( The application displays the map fine otherwise (network, over WiFi).

Could you send me the GPSGate on deralte (at) team-bhp.com, please? Let me try if it reads the external GPS. (There is a built-in port mapper though, provided with the OS, BUT the mgmaps GPS selector says "No serial ports").

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks