Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 01:56   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The mapping seen in website is more detailed than Navigator.
Well, that is what I didn't want to hear.

I suspect, though, that it is still the best available outside the metros and major cities? Even Nokia Maps is good for Chennai.
Old 7th August 2008, 07:44   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, that is what I didn't want to hear.

I suspect, though, that it is still the best available outside the metros and major cities? Even Nokia Maps is good for Chennai.
I too too a demo about a year, and spent a lot of time on their website.
But when I saw the product demo it was a very big let down. The website is much more detailed than the product.

What i did was i loaded Mgmaps (www.mgmaps.com), downloaded road maps (google and yahoo) for the whole of North India and transferred them to my mobile E90. The only thing that I have not been able to manage working is their navigation (though on thwir forum(Mgmaps) peoplle claim that they have).

Other that is i dont seem to find any issue with Mgmaps. and did I tell you 'ITS FREE'
Old 7th August 2008, 08:52   #528
BANNED

friends i have a2 year old map of mapkingG10 Bangalore

most locations are outdated.

Could any one help me with a later map for map kingG10 ?
Old 7th August 2008, 09:53   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
downloaded road maps (google and yahoo) for the whole of North India and transferred them to my mobile E90. is i dont seem to find any issue with Mgmaps. and did I tell you 'ITS FREE'
Can you please tell how you downloaded whole North India map from Google or Yahoo
Old 7th August 2008, 10:03   #530
BHPian

Quote:
hi
I downloaded the application on my E90 (Nokia) and volla my external BlueTooth Receiver(BTR) connects to the phone. I was not able to connect the BTR to my phone earlier. Hense I will not have to worry for the battery life of my E90 now.cheers:

One thing I am not able to get is that, maybe you could help me on this, in Nokia Sports Tracker s/w the old log files are saved and can be imported and exported anytime. I have been trying this the Trail Explorer(TE) but no luck.
Harve Have you managed to, or know whether this is possible on TE.
Thanks
When you say " Stop Tracking/recording" automatically you should get a popup asking you to give a name for the track and the options (tick boxes) to export to KML and export to GPX and the last one being Save Trail. You can save the trail in the memory card or any other location on the phone. And ofc you can export it later. I have not tried importing the older tracks but theoretically it must be possible.
Old 7th August 2008, 12:29   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Can you please tell how you downloaded whole North India map from Google or Yahoo
the instructions are all there on this thread
check this out
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post811011
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post811597

Also when you will download the maps I initially used 'Hash 1 & Tiles 256'.
This makes the files too big and the phone very slow.
So now I am using Hash 1 and Tiles 8. Though this increases the files size a little bit but at the sametime the speed of the phone s/w (while using Mgmas) is not compromised.
However it would be best if you experimented with what settings work best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
When you say " Stop Tracking/recording" automatically you should get a popup asking you to give a name for the track and the options (tick boxes) to export to KML and export to GPX and the last one being Save Trail. You can save the trail in the memory card or any other location on the phone. And ofc you can export it later. I have not tried importing the older tracks but theoretically it must be possible.
yes i was experimenting with the s/w yesterday evening and discovered it.

Also an other thing I've discovered is that, if I am using an external b/tooth GPS receiver BTR I cannot use it for two applications at the same time on my mobile.
In my case this would be the TrailExplorer and MGMAPS. if the 1st application is using the BTR and I start the 2nd application it fails to search for the BTR.

Is there any way around this?
Old 7th August 2008, 16:03   #532
Team-BHP Support

I need to download maps on my htc touch to use here in USA. which is a nice reasonably priced map I can purchase for California state?
Old 7th August 2008, 16:11   #533
Senior - BHPian

any Sony Ericsson P1i users here , who were successful with bluetooth navigation tehcnology
Old 7th August 2008, 20:41   #534
Senior - BHPian

I am using gMapMaker to download the map, whose definition was created using the mapcacher utility - Bangalore and around 50Km radial distance around it (Actually a square about 100Km a side), Zoom Level 10-18, Slow & Detailed, Google satellite images with roadmaps overlayed. gMapMaker: Hash size 97.

Now, what did I specify incorrectly / excessively? Blessed thing has been running since yesterday with no end in sight!
Old 7th August 2008, 22:00   #535
BHPian

Quote:

yes i was experimenting with the s/w yesterday evening and discovered it.

Also an other thing I've discovered is that, if I am using an external b/tooth GPS receiver BTR I cannot use it for two applications at the same time on my mobile.
In my case this would be the TrailExplorer and MGMAPS. if the 1st application is using the BTR and I start the 2nd application it fails to search for the BTR.

Is there any way around this?
No I am not sure if there is a work around to it . AFAIK the Ext GPS Transceiver will only work with one app at a time unlike the integrated A-GPS Transceiver on a N series.
Old 7th August 2008, 22:02   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
No I am not sure if there is a work around to it . AFAIK the Ext GPS Transceiver will only work with one app at a time unlike the integrated A-GPS Transceiver on a N series.
If you use Windows Mobile and an application called GPSGate or GPSProxy, you can have any number of applications utilising the GPS receiver via Virtual Serial Ports!
Old 7th August 2008, 22:50   #537
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info. i guess i would just have to use only 1 app when using the extGPS.
Have anyone of you been able to get the 'GetDirections' or the routing to work in Mgmaps. I have tried it a number of times but it always says 'NoRoute Found'

@deralte: that would certianly take alot of time as though the data is not huge, but number of files is very large and that is what takes time.
Also i personally think that zoom 18 is very much detailed.

I have downloaded for Delhi & NCR zoom 5-17 & 5-13-on my phone. The details are as follows
Hash 1 Tiles 8
Map type : google road maps and yahoo road maps (i am not using sattelite maps as i find it confusing plus they take up more space)
On practical usage, I use upto zoom 15 or 16 in the cities(Delhi) and 17 is used if i am trying to find something specific. And for northern india i use zoom 13, and find the level of detail to be ok.

Last edited by harjeev : 7th August 2008 at 23:04.
Old 8th August 2008, 07:38   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the info. i guess i would just have to use only 1 app when using the extGPS.
Have anyone of you been able to get the 'GetDirections' or the routing to work in Mgmaps. I have tried it a number of times but it always says 'NoRoute Found'.
That's normal. It relies on google to provide driving directions. Unfortunately, google still does not offer this service for India.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:15   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
That's normal. It relies on google to provide driving directions. Unfortunately, google still does not offer this service for India.
Thats a relief.

So for someone wanting driving directions (in India), the only options left are either to use products like those supplied by Mapmyindia or subscribe to the expensive nokia maps service?
Old 8th August 2008, 13:46   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a relief.
So for someone wanting driving directions (in India), the only options left are either to use products like those supplied by Mapmyindia or subscribe to the expensive nokia maps service?
or Satguide (with its inherent deficiencies). I had requested Cristain to add Yahoo India driving directions to mgmaps. But it is not possible right now because of the way yahoo India manages the request/response for driving directions.

I have pan India offline G**gle maps at 0-13 zoom. But G**gle have improved on their maps recently - adding more details, country roads etc since then. So offline maps has its own disadvantages.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks