Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 21:19   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

A MapMyIndia question...

Is the level of detail on the maps supplied with their devices the same as that shown on their internet on-line devices?

I'm quite impressed with their claims! I'm quite impressed with their online map of Alleppey and surrounds too. Google is just not there, and my Nokia N82 has a blue patch for the Vembenad lake and nothing else.
Old 19th July 2008, 22:55   #512
BHPian

nokia 6110 navigator

hi friends...

I have been using nokia 6110 navigator mobile phone with built in GPS receiver. It came preloaded with 8 city maps thats mumbai,pune,jaipur,bangalore,delhi,hyderabad ,calcutta and chennai. I have used it in mumbai and pune and its working very fine and voice navigation is also almost error free and accurate. also i have installed google mobile maps on this which works fine with gprs connection and gives accurate positioning data. ONly problem is there is no voice navigation available with gmaps.

RP
Old 19th July 2008, 23:52   #513
BHPian

Thanks, I could now download the maps from my home. It seems some problem with the office network due to proxy servers.
Now another problem, I copied all the folders & files in the mobile and went to settings and gave the path of the stored map, still the maps didn;t get displayed. How to set different maps ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
This happened to me too once, but I could not figure out, what the problem was.

What I did was again create the .map file from mapcatcher and download it again.

This solved the issue
Old 1st August 2008, 23:11   #514
BHPian

My dad has got a new 3600 Slide phone from Nokia. It has Nokia maps despite being a S40 phone. I had a Nokia LD3W external BT GPS Rx which he is using successfully with this phone.

I want to know if there is any software that would give accurate data logging like speed - avg,max, and distance travelled etc ? Something like the Nokia Sports tracker for S60.

I need it for the S40 though ..
Old 5th August 2008, 16:08   #515
BHPian

Hi Guys there is this GPS device for sale on ebay which goes for around 7k in the auction format and the seller says its loaded with all india map as well as 8 city maps from mapmyindia. has anyone used this or tried this? Seems to be quite cheap compared to what mapmyindia sells for online. Any reviews or views on this?
Old 5th August 2008, 16:45   #516
BHPian

Try checking this site Welcome to ItemsOfDesire.com they deal in GPS. I had brought Holus GPSlim 236 from them. A week back it developed some bluetooth connectivity issue. I have sent them back for repair.

I normally use it with my Nokia E51. Tracks sattelites well even in cloudy weather.
Old 6th August 2008, 00:12   #517
BHPian

Well I found a solution for GPS tracking for all those ppl using a JAVA Phone (non-S60 phones).

Try this - TrailExplorer. Works very well in all weather conditions and has all the data logging provided by Nokia Sports Tracker.
Substance of Code Mobile Trail Explorer
Old 6th August 2008, 00:57   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A MapMyIndia question...

Is the level of detail on the maps supplied with their devices the same as that shown on their internet on-line devices?

I'm quite impressed with their claims! I'm quite impressed with their online map of Alleppey and surrounds too. Google is just not there, and my Nokia N82 has a blue patch for the Vembenad lake and nothing else.
mapmyindia and Yahoo india (in.maps.yahoo.com) based on mapmyindia data is much better than Google maps for most parts of India save for big cities and some tourist spots like Goa. I have used both maps in South India, and that is the conclusion I reached. What I do is using mgmaps on my N95 with downloaded map tiles from either depending on where I go :-) Both have lots of roads wrong like any other map of India. mgmaps is a freely downloadable cool app much better than google maps for mobile (infact, google maps for mobile started with mgmaps and similar as inspiration).
Cheers,
Old 6th August 2008, 00:59   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post
Well I found a solution for GPS tracking for all those ppl using a JAVA Phone (non-S60 phones).

Try this - TrailExplorer. Works very well in all weather conditions and has all the data logging provided by Nokia Sports Tracker.
looks interesting, will check it out. I use Sportstracker widely though since I have a N95 and non-Java programs use much less RAM and are faster. Besides, I like the sportstracker website for uploading tracks and sharing with friends.

Regards,
Old 6th August 2008, 12:53   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep_K_Ram View Post

hi
I downloaded the application on my E90 (Nokia) and volla my external BlueTooth Receiver(BTR) connects to the phone. I was not able to connect the BTR to my phone earlier. Hense I will not have to worry for the battery life of my E90 now.cheers:

One thing I am not able to get is that, maybe you could help me on this, in Nokia Sports Tracker s/w the old log files are saved and can be imported and exported anytime. I have been trying this the Trail Explorer(TE) but no luck.
Harve Have you managed to, or know whether this is possible on TE.
Thanks
Old 6th August 2008, 14:00   #521
Distinguished - BHPian

when I do start driving in Kerala, I'll get the MapMyIndia device, I think. It'll double up for taking in the boat too. Crazy paddling foreigner trying to describe, in English, to some fisherman where he lives and how does he get back there? Hmmm....

(Yes, I know the answer is to learn the language, but my progress in Tamil doesn't bode well for my success with Malayalam, which I already know has differents sounds that don't sound different to me.)

I'm tempted to buy it anyway. Gadget fever!
Old 6th August 2008, 14:11   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A MapMyIndia question...

I use mapmyindia navigator in bangalore and when travelling out of bangalore. Yes its pretty accurate and for the city maps that they claim detailed is very detailed indeed. Will try and post some real pics from my navigator. Just tell the place that you want to see.
Alternatively you can visit mapmyindia.com/online and search your address, whats in the navigator is almost the same as what is on their website.
Old 6th August 2008, 18:21   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
whats in the navigator is almost the same as what is on their website.
That's exactly what I wanted to know; many thanks!

I'm interested in Alleppey, and the area about halfway between there and Changanacherry. The fact that the main Alleppey/Changanacherry road is there is probably enough for now: at least it will give me direction to follow to get back to it.

The coverage of water and waterways in that area looks better than the roads!

By the way: I find that the online routing does not display properly in Firefox (3.0.1). I filled in their feedback with a report, and got a nice email in response and acknowledgement. That a company communicates like that is, I think, a good sign.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th August 2008 at 18:24.
Old 6th August 2008, 19:09   #524
BHPian

I have purchased a Nuvi200W from ASim Industries last week. They claims that it has got 8 cities navigation level map and full india highway map. The Bangalore map what they have got is really pathetic, they dont have airport road flyover in their map :0
Hosur road near Forum shows I am traveling off road and there is no road nearby. Really bad . Even the device is not that great. Sometime will not capture signal for infinite time. I m sending the device back for a cash back this week.
Old 6th August 2008, 23:56   #525
BANNED

MMi Nav

Hi
I am using MMI nav for the last 6months and only since last month they have the updated map2.0 version.They claim they have detailed maps of around 26 cities in kerala. alleppey is one among them. Now the main roads are almost mapped,but the problem lies with smaller ones in cities..Their routing also is not upto standard.. The mapping seen in website is more detailed than Navigator.

quote=Thad E Ginathom;929934]That's exactly what I wanted to know; many thanks!

I'm interested in Alleppey, and the area about halfway between there and Changanacherry. The fact that the main Alleppey/Changanacherry road is there is probably enough for now: at least it will give me direction to follow to get back to it.

The coverage of water and waterways in that area looks better than the roads!

By the way: I find that the online routing does not display properly in Firefox (3.0.1). I filled in their feedback with a report, and got a nice email in response and acknowledgement. That a company communicates like that is, I think, a good sign.[/quote]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks