Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 00:10   #436
BANNED

I"m trying to pair a Holux GPSlim 240 with a Motorola Moto Q8 but am not able to do this successfully. Any tips? I've downloaded Google Maps on the phone.
Old 13th February 2008, 00:19   #437
BHPian

@hrag,
I had similar problem on my E65,

try this,
don't pair the device through bluetooth manager, launch Google maps, it will ask you for pairing, now select the device and establish pairing, see if it works now.
Old 13th February 2008, 09:45   #438
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabs78 View Post
don't pair the device through bluetooth manager, launch Google maps, it will ask you for pairing, now select the device and establish pairing, see if it works now.
Thanks a lot vabs78, that helped and I'm now able to use the GPS unit completely with Google Maps on my phone.
Old 13th February 2008, 10:26   #439
Senior - BHPian

Have you tried Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!. It allows you to download maps (including Google) from different sources and use it on your phone.
Old 13th February 2008, 10:40   #440
Senior - BHPian

Second what spadival said. mgmaps is really cool, I used it a lot with my N95 :-)
Old 13th February 2008, 11:14   #441
Senior - BHPian

Has any tried Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone! maps, they are free as well informative too. Was looking out for options for pair with a bluetooth GPS module i am planning to buy very soon.
Old 13th February 2008, 13:10   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I"m trying to pair a Holux GPSlim 240 with a Motorola Moto Q8 but am not able to do this successfully. Any tips? I've downloaded Google Maps on the phone.
hi hrag,

I too have procured a Moto Q8 recently, can you please tell me where I can find Holux GPSlim 240 and what is the approx cost?

also, how do I download Google Maps on the phone? I have GPRS enabled through my subscriber.

any help is much appreciated.
Old 13th February 2008, 15:57   #443
BHPian

Google maps are restricted. Openstreetmap instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Have you tried Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!. It allows you to download maps (including Google) from different sources and use it on your phone.
It is illegal to use Google maps the way MGMaps allows you to. You are not allowed to download and save the maps locally as it is copyrighted material. You are not allowed to use it for real time navigational purposes on vehicles. You may read full text of agreement here: Google Maps Help

Almost, all the proprietary maps have more or less similar conditions. There is one project OpenStreetMap and they are mapping whole world with the help of volunteers. OpenStreetMap

One can help the project in various ways - mapping the streets, editing the uploaded route maps etc.
Old 13th February 2008, 20:45   #444
Senior - BHPian

Did I say I use Google maps ? ... I am a member of openstreetmap anyway. But when I joined I hardly found any coverage at all for India. Now I can see a slight improvement.. But its a long way to go. I am sure this situation will improve if hvkumar acquires a GPS device and logs all his 1000 km trips

Last edited by spadival : 13th February 2008 at 20:58.
Old 14th February 2008, 11:21   #445
Senior - BHPian

Kumar already has a GPS device..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Did I say I use Google maps ? ... I am a member of openstreetmap anyway. But when I joined I hardly found any coverage at all for India. Now I can see a slight improvement.. But its a long way to go. I am sure this situation will improve if hvkumar acquires a GPS device and logs all his 1000 km trips
Old 29th February 2008, 20:23   #446

Hi! I just Delphi NAV 200 from US. Any body know from where can I get india map. I am trying to contact mapmyindia every time they are giving me same reply that i can buy whole unit from them but not specific about maps.
Old 11th March 2008, 16:25   #447
BHPian

Gurus, i have a holux m1000 gps receiver and nokia e61i. I have installed google maps and pre-loaded nokia maps for india. I have synced my gps receiver, however when i try to use gps either in nokia or google maps to track my current location, it does not work. Indicator in gps receiver blinks to denote that position is fixed, but indicator to denote bluetooth blinks continously denoting that it is searching for bluetooth device. What could be the problem? This does not happen always, but many times it fails.
Please help.
Old 11th March 2008, 16:40   #448
Senior - BHPian

I am not a Nokia man, But is the bluetooth on your phone in "Discoverable" mode? Have you paired the phone with the BT GPS?
Old 11th March 2008, 17:32   #449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachmash View Post
I too have procured a Moto Q8 recently, can you please tell me where I can find Holux GPSlim 240 and what is the approx cost?

also, how do I download Google Maps on the phone? I have GPRS enabled through my subscriber.
Sorry for the delayed response. I got a colleague from the US to bring the Holux GPSlim240 for me. After conversion, cost me approx. INR 2800

To download Google Maps on your Q8, go to Google Maps on the browser and follow the instructions. Google Maps is not stored on your phone and the data is requested from the server each time you move the map aorund.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th March 2008 at 00:10. Reason: Quote edited
Old 11th March 2008, 17:38   #450
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps has the "My Position" feature now - triangulating your position from cell tower info. And it works nicely most of the time. So you dont need a GPS receiver if you just need an approximate location.

This feature didnt work on my old phone (O2 Atom), but works on my current phone (HTC Touch). Also, confirmed to work on Sony Erricson W580i

Last edited by spadival : 11th March 2008 at 17:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks