Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 10:37   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Makes sense. I somehow need to reduce the number of files.
N82. That sounds like a good plan - let me download once again. Do you have Google or Yahoo India? How was the download 'experience'?

The current file count and size problem leaves the N82 in tangles. Mgmaps takes an aeon to load (for some reason it is not loading this morning; it was working last evening), never appears in the running apps list and generally slows everything else down.
I am using Google Road Maps.

MGMaps does act strange at times. More of it is related to Java than MGMaps. The solution is to restart the device and then run the application.

The download experience was good but that is due to the fact that I am behind a multi-gateway network with more than 5 public IP addresses. This helps me by making sure that Google does not blacklist my ip for abuse . It took me about 14 hours to download everything ;-)

Last edited by SumitB : 14th August 2008 at 10:39.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:11   #557
Senior - BHPian

You can format SD/MMC card in FAT32 using a card reader. Just backup the other files on the card (excluding the mgmapscache folder !! backing it up will again take ages ).

Signed version for your phone model is here -> http://wap.mgmaps.com/14/mgmaps_n95-1_41_03.jad

Mobile GMaps lists all the different versions available.
Old 14th August 2008, 12:06   #558
BHPian

Guys, those of you are thinking for a GPS enabled mobile, go for the new Sony Ericsson C702. I bought it 5 days ago. Very good phone. GPS is good too, it comes with Goohle Maps and a very very good navigation software called Wayfinder Navigator. It also comes with a GPS based sports app, that calculates your speed , top speed , time left, distance left etc which is useful to all BHP-ians. Costs no more than Rs.14,500. So what are you waiting for ??
Old 14th August 2008, 12:22   #559
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, @spadival, will unistall the current mgmaps, reformat the SD card and install the signed version.

@sumitb, if it takes you 14 hours, may God have mercy on us underpriviledged mortals! Oh man, all India maps will take 14 days till zoom level 17 via the mgmaps loader. Care to upload it to an FTP location or a torrent? We will bless your next 3 generations!
Old 14th August 2008, 13:01   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Thanks, @spadival, will unistall the current mgmaps, reformat the SD card and install the signed version.

@sumitb, if it takes you 14 hours, may God have mercy on us underpriviledged mortals! Oh man, all India maps will take 14 days till zoom level 17 via the mgmaps loader. Care to upload it to an FTP location or a torrent? We will bless your next 3 generations!
I will try to do something over the weekend. cheers:
Old 14th August 2008, 17:44   #561
BHPian

Did anyone try installing the MGMaps on N73. I mean the offline version with all zoom levels.

Also i googled on Nokia. They have comeout with "Nokia Map Loader" link : Nokia - Graduates

They claim to detailed maps of 150 countries and works in offline mode.

Nokia Map Loader

Using Nokia Map Loader can help you save on mobile data service costs and save time downloading map data over-the-air as you go. With maps for more than 150 countries worldwide, there’s a lot of data available! The Map Loader 2.0 beta was launched in Beta Labs on June 19th 2008. A month passed during which several improvements were made according to your feedback. Finally, with your help, Map Loader was officially graduate on July 21, 2008.

You can download Nokia Map Loader 2.0 from [COLOR=#810081]http://maps.nokia.com[/COLOR].
Old 14th August 2008, 19:25   #562
BHPian

Did anybody try installing MGMaps offline on N73.

Also how about Nokia Map Loader (Nokia - Graduates). anybody tried this

Mods: Please delete this message

Last edited by gypsyFreak : 14th August 2008 at 19:31. Reason: Duplicate
Old 17th August 2008, 09:58   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Navgo SY885 for 133$
It is sold by dealextreme based in Hong Kong
Did u get that? Looks interesting. Pls keep us updated and post a review.
U can check their forum at
Navsoon - WinCE :: View Forum - Navgo SY885
Old 20th August 2008, 13:09   #564
BHPian

Has anyone ried installing Gmaps on Sony ericsson P990i
Old 26th August 2008, 07:21   #565
Senior - BHPian

Adding coordinates to Satguide / Mapking maps

Guys,

I'm planning to drive to Doddamakali (JLR location) around mid of this Sept. Looking at the mapmyindia or google earth, I can clearly see the roads till Malavalli or little beyond that. However, I dont see a clear picture after that.

Does anyone have got any idea how can I get the coordinates and add them to the satguide or mapking maps I have? It will be very helpful in case I dont get local people around to ask for the route.

I'm sure, I may not have those village roads on my satguide maps (OneIndia Maps).

According to the information I have, I should be following the route below.

Bangalore > Maddur > Malavalli > Shimshapur > Doddamakali (alternate route is to take the Kanakapura Rd. but I'm assuming that Maddur to Malavalli can be less tiring than Kanakapura road stretch in terms of bad raods).

Thank you.
Old 26th August 2008, 17:58   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

You can find the lat/long co-ordiantes from Google Earth or even Wikimapia.
Old 26th August 2008, 18:25   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You can find the lat/long co-ordiantes from Google Earth or even Wikimapia.

yes, I'm there,, the only thing I dont know is how to get them to the maps in SatGuide and then route to them.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:37   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu View Post
The problem with most GPS systems is that they will not have maps to cover Indian Cities to use it for navigation like they do in the US or Europe. So having such a device may be very useful in those countries but not really useful in India. The reason why I choose Garmin is because of Google Earth Plus. This allows me to trace routes and locations that I want to and analyze it on Google Earth for what ever it is worth. So, technically, I am not really using it as a navigation system. More as an analysis tool.
Absolutely, I had a recent visit to the States and got me a Civic with onboard Honda Navigation. It was just amazing ...never got lost, drove for like 2000 miles in just 2 weekends...
Drove down to Niagara Falls, Washington and North Carolina...It was just amazing the kind of information it has... took me easily to the closed Red lobsters and Best buys...
I thought it would be worth using one here but dropped that idea when i got to know the reality of using one in India.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:52   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
yes, I'm there,, the only thing I dont know is how to get them to the maps in SatGuide and then route to them.
Ahhh... I have no idea either <Blush>
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:31   #570
LLL
BHPian

Well, got mgmaps & WEME/jsr-75 installed on my new htc p3400.

However, cant get it to see the stored maps that i downloaded using the gmapmaker Can anyone help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks