Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2008, 10:43   #481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

I have not tried this myself, but am confident that it is possible. You will have to sift through the MGMaps site to figure it out.

Ram
It works and works very well. I am using it for the past month. We don't have GPS maps from Garmin or Mapmyindia or others for this part of our country. Google and Yahoo have maps which are usable. I am using downloaded google maps using MGMAPS in offline mode. Also use gmpa-track to help my near and dear ones know where I am on the highway and this keeps them happy.
Old 27th April 2008, 11:12   #482
Senior - BHPian

Oh, basically it means I need to have a Internet connection to download real time maps from Google. Unfortunately, I don't have GPRS on my mobile. Rather I mostly use wi-fi to connect either form home or office or where ever available as need be.

My dedicated Garmin GPS is better proposition..

Quote:
@gd1418, I use the GPS functionality on my Nokia N82 extremely regularly.

I use Google Maps. version 2.0.14. I downloaded the .sisx installable from http://www.google.com/gmm/symbian_ap...oogleMaps.sisx

Google has separate versions for:
  1. Windows Mobile,
  2. Palm OS,
  3. Nokia/Symbian (S60 3rd edition only)
  4. Symbian OS (UIQ v3).
  5. They also have Google Maps for the Blackberry Enterprise Server.
As your Nokia E90 Communication uses Symbian S60 3rd edition, you should be able to do this too!

Do be sure to have an unlimited data plan, as downloading satellite image tiles can be rather data intensive.
My GPRS unlimited data plan is from !DEA Cellular, Pune. It costs me Rs. 1000 per month.

You do not have to subscribe for any maps anywhere in the world. Google provides it free of cost at the present time.

Ram
Old 27th April 2008, 11:30   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Gd, Can you post a review of the Garmin device and the maps available?

I use mgmaps in my carPC with a custom front end designed using skinbedder .. Think I have offline stored maps upto zoom level 13 for whole of India.

Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-mgmaps_951.jpg
Old 27th April 2008, 21:34   #484
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
It works and works very well. I am using it for the past month. We don't have GPS maps from Garmin or Mapmyindia or others for this part of our country. Google and Yahoo have maps which are usable. I am using downloaded google maps using MGMAPS in offline mode. Also use gmpa-track to help my near and dear ones know where I am on the highway and this keeps them happy.
@SumitB:

Do share with us, the step-by-step process for using MGMaps offline.
Thanks in advance.
Ram
Old 27th April 2008, 21:59   #485
BHPian

Quote:
@SumitB:

Do share with us, the step-by-step process for using MGMaps offline.
Thanks in advance.
Ram
For installing MGMAPS, I followed the instructions from here:

Mobile GMaps - Help - Documentation

For windows mobile based phones (I have one and used these instructions. Its working perfectly), you need to follow these instructions:
How to set up Mobile GMaps on Windows-Mobile

To download maps, I used the program GMapMaker
http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-0.7.1.0.b1.exe

I first tried the stable version but with this, you cannot download yahoo maps (in GUI mode). So I got the above beta version and it works well with yahoo maps also.

To download maps, you need to provide GMapMaker with a .map file which will define the areas and zoom level that you want your maps in. To get this .map file, you need to go to Map Creation Tool for MGMaps

Here you will be presented with the map of the world. Zoom in to the are for which you want the map and define the area you want by clicking. Select the zoom levels and type of map. Then download the .map file.

Open GMapMaker and select the download location and provide the .map file and you will be good to go.

I initially had problems when I ran GMapMaker with default settings. There were countless number of tiles and thus a lot of storage space was wasted. I am not using a HASH of 1 and 256 tiles per file and I am having no problems.

Rest all information is available on the above forums and pages.
Old 28th April 2008, 09:45   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Oh, basically it means I need to have a Internet connection to download real time maps from Google. Unfortunately, I don't have GPRS on my mobile. Rather I mostly use wi-fi to connect either form home or office or where ever available as need be.

Anyday a separate GPS unit is better then any in-phone gps unit !!!
Old 28th April 2008, 10:52   #487
Senior - BHPian

Very true Ashish, but since this phone has the capability, I was exploring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Old 28th April 2008, 10:59   #488
Senior - BHPian

Spad: you can have the entire review at - http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/, however this product has since been discontinued. The price one has to pay for developing technologies.. I, in any case, currently don't intend to upgrade.

I have maps for the whole of India plus 32 cities and all Metros. Have been using for the last 3 years and am satisfied with the performance. My unit also enables me to save tracks on which I've travelled or travel along with the waypoints that I create enroute. Has been a great help when I've travelled the same route and destination again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Gd, Can you post a review of the Garmin device and the maps available?

I use mgmaps in my carPC with a custom front end designed using skinbedder .. Think I have offline stored maps upto zoom level 13 for whole of India.
Old 28th April 2008, 13:49   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For installing MGMAPS, I followed the instructions from here:

Mobile GMaps - Help - Documentation

For windows mobile based phones (I have one and used these instructions. Its working perfectly), you need to follow these instructions:
How to set up Mobile GMaps on Windows-Mobile

To download maps, I used the program GMapMaker
http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-0.7.1.0.b1.exe

I first tried the stable version but with this, you cannot download yahoo maps (in GUI mode). So I got the above beta version and it works well with yahoo maps also.

To download maps, you need to provide GMapMaker with a .map file which will define the areas and zoom level that you want your maps in. To get this .map file, you need to go to Map Creation Tool for MGMaps

Here you will be presented with the map of the world. Zoom in to the are for which you want the map and define the area you want by clicking. Select the zoom levels and type of map. Then download the .map file.

Open GMapMaker and select the download location and provide the .map file and you will be good to go.

I initially had problems when I ran GMapMaker with default settings. There were countless number of tiles and thus a lot of storage space was wasted. I am not using a HASH of 1 and 256 tiles per file and I am having no problems.

Rest all information is available on the above forums and pages.

Hi SumitB,
after reading your post I too have created a .map file and have put it for downloading. Was just thinking how much time would it take foor the downloading to complete.

Secondly what I understand after reading your post is that after the download is complete I just have to copy the file to the memory card if the phone and specify the setting in the MGmaps application on the mobile phone, If enything else needs to be done please advise.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Using a GPS Receiver in the Car-untitled.jpg  

Old 28th April 2008, 14:07   #490
BHPian

Well harjeev, I am using a multiple link internet connection with multiple public ip addresses. As such, I don't have to bother about Google blacklisting my IP address. Otherwise I have heard that you need to use the proxy setting on GMapMaker. Also, I notice that you have left the has and no. of tiles per file to default. My advice is that you stop the program and select a HASH of 1 and 256 as the no. of tiles per file. This will ensure manageable no. of files and will also optimise storage space. I was having a hard time when I used the default settings.

It took me 3-4 sessions of 18 hours each to get the maps for NE-India from zoom level 0-17 for Google Maps. For Yahoo the times are larger.

Yes, after download completes, all you need to do is to transfer the MGMaps folder as it is to your mobiles storage card and specify the location in the MGMaps Program on your phone and you will be good to go.

All these are detailed in the forums for MGMAPS. Only thing I experimented with was the hash and no. of tiles per file. I use 1 as hash and 256 as no. of tiles per file.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:12   #491
Senior - BHPian

Great thread here.... I was planning to buy a GPS reciever to use with my N81 Symbian phone. Nokia maps are good, but I wanted to add a reciever to actually navigate. I read on ibibo that MTek recievers are for 2k. All I can find online though is GPS recievers from Holux begining from 4k onwards. Are there any GPS recievers for 2k and where can I buy them in Delhi?
Old 28th April 2008, 15:52   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well harjeev, I am using a multiple link internet connection with multiple public ip addresses. As such, I don't have to bother about Google blacklisting my IP address. Otherwise I have heard that you need to use the proxy setting on GMapMaker.

how can I use the multiple link internet connection. Is there a software for this. I too dont want google to blacklist my net connection.
We have a proxy at office. Does that make any difference.

Secondly please advise what is the significance of the Hash and the "no of tiles per file"??
Old 28th April 2008, 16:03   #493
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

i would certainly agree with this statement. Dedicated GPS Receivers are certainly more useful than In Phone GPS - partially because of screen size and detail available.

GPS works beautifully in the Middle East, parts of South East Asia, all of Europe and the UK, where Ive driven around a bit. It is fantastic even for navigating around an unfamiliar town/ village area.

But unfortunately for us, very large parts of India are not yet mapped properly. So the use is relatively limited here.

I was toying with the Idea of plugging in a Garmin or MapmyIndia (recently advertised in Autocar) into my new Scorp thinking it would be fantastic to take off into the roads less travelled, armed with the GPS to get me out of trouble.

However, seeing this non availability of mapping data for large areas in India and the cost vs benefit ratio I decided to defer it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th April 2008 at 16:06.
Old 28th April 2008, 17:58   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
how can I use the multiple link internet connection. Is there a software for this. I too dont want google to blacklist my net connection.
We have a proxy at office. Does that make any difference.

Secondly please advise what is the significance of the Hash and the "no of tiles per file"??
Google blacklisting your IP address is not a permanent thing, they will simply block your ip from accessing them for 24 hours if it happens. I would advice you to activate the "Use Proxy" option that is there in GMapMaker and you should be safe.

Regarding hash size and no. of tiles per file, its best you do some searching on the mgmaps forums.
Old 28th April 2008, 22:19   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Google blacklisting your IP address is not a permanent thing, they will simply block your ip from accessing them for 24 hours if it happens. I would advice you to activate the "Use Proxy" option that is there in GMapMaker and you should be safe.

Regarding hash size and no. of tiles per file, its best you do some searching on the mgmaps forums.

hi
downloaded maps for New Delhi & NCR
Zoom Level 5-17
Slow & Detailed
Google Road Maps
The total size is about 100MB and have transfered it to the phone. As you advised I used the settings 1 hash & 256 tiles per file.
cant wait to test

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks