Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2008, 11:02   #466
Senior - BHPian

mgmaps

Hi
I use downloaded yahoo India and google maps with the free mgmaps application on my N95. It works very well and the map details are the best and continually improved...

Regards,
Old 13th April 2008, 11:13   #467
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately Google Earth Plus does not support Garmin iQue 3600. Hence, though I subscribed for the plus, I can't import data from my GPS unit..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Google Earth Plus is the regular Google Earth + GPS compatible. This will help Google Earth recognise your GPS and exchnage track points, etc. I pay an annual subscription of around USD 20.
Old 13th April 2008, 11:28   #468
Senior - BHPian

Used to have Garmin etrex Vista before, now the GPS MAP60C, happily both are supported.
Old 14th April 2008, 08:44   #469
BHPian

Need a GPS Receiver (Can't Choose even after reading the entire thread)

Guys,

I have gone through the entire thread for the past two days and am all the more confused on selecting the right GPS Gadget for me:

I am in the Real Estate Sector and travel city to city on National Highways Non Stop.

I want a device that has the following features (in sequence of priority)
  1. Helps in navigation in unknown cities
  2. Geotags my photos
  3. demarcating a project site boundary and calculating acreage
  4. Maps my routes on NH
  5. All India Map
  6. Google Earth Integration
  • It can be a handheld device but equally windshield mountable.
  • It should be a device with good visibility (not some puny stuff that gets faded as soon as the sunlight falls on it)
I even met the Mapmyindia CEO last week, but he stuck to selling his equipment and his gadget is not a big winner anyways in this forum. His gadget will not geotag my photos. In short it cant double as a handheld.

About the equipments:
  • I did see Nokia N82, 6300 and N95 features but they'll be poor display for navigation.
  • Also Garmin has too many choices.
  • PDA/Phone GPS- HTC, Asus etc. - connectivity quality is compromised
  • Bluetooth GPS - again pairing is cumbersome
  • SOny Geotagging gadget again will be for geotagging only isnt it?
About the maps
  • when I narrow down on a gadget maps become an issue and when I narrow down on Satnav and Mapmyindia , portability becomes an issue.
  • I still cant figure out how Nokia Maos and Route 66 fares as compared to MMI and Satnav.
Please suggest me the right model and an all-india map.

Also cant we fellow patrons create a map repository, format conversion tools of all the expensive maps and share/barter among ourselves?
Old 24th April 2008, 22:37   #470
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know where I can get the latest version of destinator? I bought the One india map but it came with the older version of destinator.

Last edited by vikram_d : 24th April 2008 at 22:39.
Old 25th April 2008, 09:32   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Anyone know where I can get the latest version of destinator? I bought the One india map but it came with the older version of destinator.
Latest version is Destinator 7, last time i checked. Got Extra money try destinator international website, got money shortage try google or pm me
Old 25th April 2008, 17:49   #472
Senior - BHPian

I know it is V7 but the installer installs V6 on my phone. Did install V7 but that won't let me register the map.
Old 26th April 2008, 11:45   #473
Senior - BHPian

Nokia E 90

Hi,

I am generally very wary of multi function devices.. I just discovered that my Nokia E 90 communicator also has GPS functionality. Does anyone here use this? What maps does this use and do I've to subscribe for Indian maps and where do I get them?

I, otherwise, use a dedicated Garmin iQue 3600 for GPS purposes..
Old 26th April 2008, 13:03   #474
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Hi,

I am generally very wary of multi function devices.. I just discovered that my Nokia E 90 communicator also has GPS functionality. Does anyone here use this? What maps does this use and do I've to subscribe for Indian maps and where do I get them?

I, otherwise, use a dedicated Garmin iQue 3600 for GPS purposes..
@gd1418, I use the GPS functionality on my Nokia N82 extremely regularly.

I use Google Maps. version 2.0.14. I downloaded the .sisx installable from http://www.google.com/gmm/symbian_ap...oogleMaps.sisx

Google has separate versions for:
  1. Windows Mobile,
  2. Palm OS,
  3. Nokia/Symbian (S60 3rd edition only)
  4. Symbian OS (UIQ v3).
  5. They also have Google Maps for the Blackberry Enterprise Server.
As your Nokia E90 Communication uses Symbian S60 3rd edition, you should be able to do this too!

Do be sure to have an unlimited data plan, as downloading satellite image tiles can be rather data intensive.
My GPRS unlimited data plan is from !DEA Cellular, Pune. It costs me Rs. 1000 per month.

You do not have to subscribe for any maps anywhere in the world. Google provides it free of cost at the present time.

Ram
Old 26th April 2008, 19:13   #475
BHPian

Hi Guys,

How do you use a GPS which does not need to have any data plan or gprs connection. Is there any way to get the entire map loaded and use the same for Nokia N series. I have N95 and wanted to use it with out thinking about the GPRS connection.
Old 26th April 2008, 20:29   #476
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Mobile GMaps (MGMaps) was a Java freeware
that displayed map tiles and satellite image tiles
from Google Maps, Yahoo! Maps, Windows Live Local (MSN Virtual Earth) and some other sources, on Java-enabled mobile phones and PDAs.

I enjoyed using this software on my Nokia 3230 in 2005 and on my Nokia N73 in 2006 and the first half of 2007. Along with Wikimapia's public posted points of Interest, MGMaps grew better and better over time until it overtook Google's own native offering.

When Google found themselves getting beaten in the mobile GPS market, they sent MGMaps a legal notice, demanding that MGMaps cease and desist from downloading Google's tiles on their mobile phone software. It was खेल-खत्म in July 2007.

Interestingly, Wikimapia downloads Google's tiles on the PC, without ruffling Google's licensing emotions.

MGMaps lamented Google's step on their website. Their loyal users pledged moral support. But they had to toe Google's line.

They then found a way around the licensing issue. They provided a loophole for the technically expert user to download his own map tiles and satellite image tiles, even those flicked from Google!

I have not tried this myself, but am confident that it is possible. You will have to sift through the MGMaps site to figure it out.

Ram
Old 26th April 2008, 23:24   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post

Do be sure to have an unlimited data plan, as downloading satellite image tiles can be rather data intensive.
My GPRS unlimited data plan is from !DEA Cellular, Pune. It costs me Rs. 1000 per month.

You do not have to subscribe for any maps anywhere in the world. Google provides it free of cost at the present time.

Ram
I too use Google maps, but it requires good network coverage all the time, which is not possible especially if we are traveling to remote areas. How can we circumvent this problem?
Old 26th April 2008, 23:40   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
culprit looks like the bluetooth driver in my phone. i had a chat with the Navigation Products for Pocket PC PDA, PDA Phone, Bluetooth GPS, PDA GPS - buy GPS Now sales team (this is where i bought the receiver) and he pointed out that it could be due to bt driver.
forgot to update on the above.

read in a nokia forum that some of the e61i's has this issue and the only way to overcome is to bind the gps receiver after opening the application.

As a work flow, i delete the gps receiver from the list of authorized bt devices after every use. when i want to use the receiver again, first, i open the application (google maps or navigator) and from there i do the pairing. It then works.

regards
tifosi.
Old 27th April 2008, 06:31   #479
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
I too use Google maps, but it requires good network coverage all the time, which is not possible especially if we are traveling to remote areas. How can we circumvent this problem?
Please educate us on how remote this remote area is where there in no network coverage. AFAIK in 2008 in India, it is hard to find a place so remote that there is no GSM coverage. I have been able to get good GPRS coverage and 7 GPS satellite visibility in Pimpaloli and Malavali where even Google Earth resolution is poor.
Old 27th April 2008, 08:53   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
Please educate us on how remote this remote area is where there in no network coverage. AFAIK in 2008 in India, it is hard to find a place so remote that there is no GSM coverage. I have been able to get good GPRS coverage and 7 GPS satellite visibility in Pimpaloli and Malavali where even Google Earth resolution is poor.
Sir, when i travel out of chennai on NH45, there are quite a few stretches where signal strength is very weak and fluctuating, at those place it takes time for the map to download, by the time the it gets downloaded, the blue point (Current position indicator) moves further away beacuse of the speed, so the blue dot is on the blank white google wallpaper than on the actual map.
Secondly, beause of the continuous network access, battery life takes a toll.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 27th April 2008 at 08:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks