Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2013, 17:26   #31
BANNED

Re: How durable are the remote keys of our cars?

I use a Autocop remote locking system and I can relate it to Nokia phone. If you drop a Nokia it doesn't stop working but just absorbs the energy and splits open (battery, body panels and main phone). The same happens in the Autocop remote that I have been using for the past two years and it would have fallen around 10 times.

The body panels, battery and the motherboard separate. Just screw them together and it works normally.

Anurag.
Old 31st March 2013, 19:45   #32
BHPian

The first OEM Nippon remote key that came with my swift is still going good after 3 years and am sure I have dropped it many a time and it never broke or came apart.

Very recently like a month ago I started using the second key to be on the safer side even though the first key is still functioning just about fine. Highly impressed with the Nippon keys.
Old 1st April 2013, 09:09   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
How does one go about a key replacement ? And the approximate costs for a new key ?
Spoke to Honda's helpline. They forwarded it to the dealer. Ring Road Honda got back to me. Initially they told me how I should get the locks changed for 10.5k, they probably assumed I had lost the keys. But then after I told them, I have the damaged key with me they quoted 4.5k for a replacement key.
To get a duplicate key, you need to submit an affidavit, proof of ownership, couple of photo ids, registration etc. I believe it takes a couple of weeks.
Guys, do take care of your keys, the plasticy ones come apart really easily.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:12   #34
BHPian

My Fiesta remote key is not functioning properly. Boot release is working fine(as it is the least used), both lock and unlock are not functioning properly, i have to try atlest 3-4 times to make them work. My car is 3 years old. Is there any chance that it is covered under warranty or if not what is the procedure to repair or replace the key??
RajeswaranK7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 21:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeswaranK7 View Post
My Fiesta remote key is not functioning properly. Boot release is working fine(as it is the least used), both lock and unlock are not functioning properly, i have to try atlest 3-4 times to make them work. My car is 3 years old. Is there any chance that it is covered under warranty or if not what is the procedure to repair or replace the key??
The key on the inside has a soft rubber pad under the buttons (like older generation mobile phones, or laptop keyboard), these have a small metallic contact under them, so when you press the button, the contact is made to the PCB (printed circuit board), and the functionality is performed.

Now, you say that only lock and unlock aren't working..so this means battery in the keyfob is still fine. So you might only need to replace the rubber padding inside the keyfob.

I don't know if there is any dealer in India who is honest enough to let you know this, so in all probability, he will ask you to buy a new key from him or worse still change the whole damn steering column lockset. Jaago graahak jaago.
Old 30th April 2013, 01:28   #36
BHPian

The hard plastic ones do crack with age. Both my nippon security keyfobs for 2005 WagonR are cracked. The circuits work fine.

Unable to source them locally. Can anyone help me source them? Thanks in advance!

Please see attached pic for reference. Note the wire tie that keeps it from opening.
Attached Thumbnails
How durable are the remote keys of our cars?-suzukiremotekeyfob.jpg  

Old 24th June 2013, 19:30   #37
BHPian

Help needed on remote key refurbishment - Fluidic Verna

Hi All,

I am posting on behalf of my friend whose Remote key (supplied during vehicle purchase) has damaged, especially the rubber parts. The key is 2 years old and requires repair but no suitable info is found in the web and in factory outlet.

Request to please help us in providing some leads for refurbish the same by some after market experts. if any in Chennai.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:44   #38
BHPian

Re: Help needed on remote key refurbishment - Fluidic Verna

If you need a new remote, you could try buying one from ebay.com (this is just the shell) and get one from China. I remember when my Sentra's FOB died, I bought one off of eBay for $10 and used it for 2 years until I sold off the car.
Old 24th June 2013, 19:55   #39
BHPian

Your best bet would be to approach the A.S.S who'll give you a new key at a cost.
I don't know how much Hyundai charges, but it's bound to be on the lower side.
Old 24th June 2013, 20:16   #40
BHPian

Thank you, Actually two keys were provided as part of the vehicle purchase and both are electronic versions, no rudimentary design spare provided. hence it got abused due to day to day use and service personnel misuse,

Will buying a duplicate really meet our expectation ?

Does refurbishing the existing damaged key an option feasible or not.Can the rubber switch and patch be purchased from after market dealers ?
Old 24th June 2013, 20:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Thank you, Actually two keys were provided as part of the vehicle purchase and both are electronic versions, no rudimentary design spare provided. hence it got abused due to day to day use and service personnel misuse,

Will buying a duplicate really meet our expectation ?

Does refurbishing the existing damaged key an option feasible or not.Can the rubber switch and patch be purchased from after market dealers ?
It's not worth it in my opinion.
Getting a duplicate key from Hyundai will be painless and it will be an exact replica so no worries.
Old 24th June 2013, 23:12   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Hi All,

I am posting on behalf of my friend whose Remote key (supplied during vehicle purchase) has damaged, especially the rubber parts. The key is 2 years old and requires repair but no suitable info is found in the web and in factory outlet.

Request to please help us in providing some leads for refurbish the same by some after market experts. if any in Chennai.

Thanks in advance.
I have an i20 ASTA with similar keys. Last week I asked them if they sell the rubber portion separately. They said NO.
P.S: A new pair costs around 8K. I guess that is our only option.
Old 25th June 2013, 11:47   #43
BHPian

You would like to have a look at this website.

They make flip keys, regular keys, and duplicate keys as well. I have not tried them out, but you could just give them a call and talk to them about your problem.
Old 26th June 2013, 10:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
You would like to have a look at this website.

They make flip keys, regular keys, and duplicate keys as well. I have not tried them out, but you could just give them a call and talk to them about your problem.
I just checked the website. I have heard of Harrison keys. This website looks like a dream for many of us. Even the rubber keypad is available. But how reliable is this site? Does anyone have any experience with them ?
Old 26th July 2013, 22:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Innova Key Worn Out. Best way to get a duplicate?

Hi

My Innova's key is so worn that I can remove it from the ignition slot when the car is on.

I have a couple of questions:
- Where can l get a duplicate made? Toyota wants a bomb fora duplicate
- Is there anything else that l Can do ?

The car is about 5.5 years old.
Thanks for any help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks