Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 13:17   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
How can a car bought in Feb 2012 grow three years old in Sept 2013?
Sorry I made a mistake in typing in the year. It should have been Feb 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post

I'd also suggest using a silicone rubber cover for the key fob (costs ~Rs. 500 on eBay) - this will prevent the keys from being touched directly by your/others fingers and keeps it protected from the elements. A bonus is that it reduces the key fob's slipperiness and if dropped will absorb some of the "sharpness" of the impact.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the link!

Also another thing I was considering is the key replacement option in my insurance deal. The limit is around Rs 12500 per instance so I guess this could be an option. Any Idea how much does they key cost so that I can figure out what will I have to shell out from my pocket.

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th October 2013 at 14:45. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 19th September 2013, 13:21   #62
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 Key fob woes

My key fob is in a pretty similar state as well. Mine is a November 2010 model. Now, that's almost 3 years. Although I have to admit that it is not as bad as I see yours in the pictures.

I have used both the key fobs interchangeably - I have one with a RaceDynamics remote in the same key ring. The other is without the RD remote. So, I use the one with RD when I drive and give the other one whenever there is a driver. Both have almost similar levels of wear and tear.

I have had no problems with the functionality. But, I guess I have to check for alternatives in sometime. The 1500 bucks option looks good. Thanks for sharing. Although I don't know if it will even match the quality of the default key fob. Anything with lower quality and I don't see it lasting for 1 or 1.5 years also :(
Old 19th September 2013, 13:59   #63
Senior - BHPian

The silicon cover is really great , have a few friends who are using it and they are very happy with them , additionally you can get a range of colors as well. I have not used them yet - fortunately my Fabia keys still look as good as they did on the first day - got to hand it to Skoda when it comes to quality.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:04   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
The silicon cover is really great , have a few friends who are using it and they are very happy with them , additionally you can get a range of colors as well. I have not used them yet - fortunately my Fabia keys still look as good as they did on the first day - got to hand it to Skoda when it comes to quality.
Please post the link from ebay for silicone rubber cover for the key fob
Old 19th September 2013, 14:26   #65
Senior - BHPian

Here is the link to the master category - there are a few other products also listed here , ignore those

http://www.ebay.in/sch/Cars-Bike-Acc...=silicon+cover

Also , these would be available on other sites as well so do search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Please post the link from ebay for silicone rubber cover for the key fob
Old 19th September 2013, 14:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

I always used to feel i20's keyfob has an excellent build.
Thinking of it;my ~4 year old Key fob of the Linea has been holding up pretty well,and it suffers from a fall at least twice a week.

Get the outer shell replaced,it wont cost you more than 1500 bucks.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:53   #67
Senior - BHPian

Glad to read that because i was concerned that the T-Jet fob is not as solid as the Skoda and whether it would last as long - 4 years is pretty good and i am yet to drop mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Thinking of it;my ~4 year old Key fob of the Linea has been holding up pretty well,and it suffers from a fall at least twice a week.
Old 7th October 2013, 16:42   #68
BHPian

Re: How durable are the remote keys of our cars?

Thank you so much for the helpful feedback people. Successfully put in the new rubber panel bought from duplicatekeys.in . It fits nicely.

And got the silicone case from ebay as a protective measure.

Saved a lot of dealing with A.S.S and potentially have niggles in my car.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:53   #69
BHPian

Car Key Sensor issue Sx4

I have given my Sx4 (Diesel) to a MASS dealership for a bumper re-paint on Sunday. When I reached there yesterday just to monitor the progress of work, I found that SA was not able to start the car in spite of repeated cranks. The car was lying with them from past 4 days.

We tried all means like Battery change, Scanner but all in vain. Then the SA said, this might be the fault of the key. About 4 months back I changed my normal key to flip key. I immediately went to home and got the second key. In half a crank the car came back to life.

Now my concern is... did somebody try to replace the sensor in the key in order to steal the car later or something wrong with the sensor in the key or the cell in the key has drained out.

On the flip key there is one tiny screw... there aren't any fresh marks of screw but still I am apprehensive!

Amit
Old 14th November 2014, 13:00   #70
BHPian

Re: Car Key Sensor issue Sx4

Open the screw and look for the sensor. It is a small (0.5 cms or bit less) rectangular piece which will look different from the rest of the key insides. If this is missing, you may be looking at a issue of theft. Call Nippon in your area and they can de-register the missing key. You can put in a request for new keys later at a Maruti ASS. They will get you two new keys which will need to be registered by Nippon again. Do not delay this.

Register at least a NC at the local police station if the sensor is missing. In case you do not do this and the vehicle gets stolen, insurance claim will be a massive challenge for you.

This video shows what the sensor looks like:

Last edited by latentpotential : 14th November 2014 at 13:03.
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 13:08   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Open the screw and look for the sensor. It is a small (0.5 cms or bit less) rectangular piece which will look different from the rest of the key insides. If this is missing, you may be looking at a issue of theft. Call Nippon in your area and they can de-register the missing key.
Thanks for the prompt reply! So what I am thinking might be correct as well. I raised this issues to the GM of the dealership as well.

Any idea what will Nippon charge to me, also how will they change the transponder.

Amit

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2014 at 16:03. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 14th November 2014, 13:09   #72
Team-BHP Support

Does the SX4 have a floating code immobilizer system? I am not sure but I don't think it does. Cars equipped with those (VAG, Skoda, Fiat cars for instance) will not work with aftermarket flip keys since the key has a chip inside that sends a charge/signal to the immobiliser which will match the signal and cranks the car.
Old 14th November 2014, 13:12   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Open the screw and look for the sensor. It is a small (0.5 cms or bit less) rectangular piece which will look different from the rest of the key insides. If this is missing, you may be looking at a issue of theft. Call Nippon in your area and they can de-register the missing key. QUOTE]

Thanks for the prompt reply! So what I am thinking might be correct as well. I raised this issues to the GM of the dealership as well.

Any idea what will Nippon charge to me, also how will they change the transponder.

Amit
If car is in warranty, none. If you ask for 2 more keys, about 6-10k INR for the full activity to Maruti.

Why delay? open the key and look for the sensor ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Does the SX4 have a floating code immobilizer system? I am not sure but I don't think it does. Cars equipped with those (VAG, Skoda, Fiat cars for instance) will not work with aftermarket flip keys since the key has a chip inside that sends a charge/signal to the immobiliser which will match the signal and cranks the car.
Not an issue with current gen Maruti cars

Last edited by GTO : 14th November 2014 at 16:04. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 14th November 2014, 14:03   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
I immediately went to home and got the second key. In half a crank the car came back to life.

On the flip key there is one tiny screw... there aren't any fresh marks of screw but still I am apprehensive!
It happened with me once. I transferred the std key of my swift to the flip key shell.
A few months down the line, the immobilizer chip moved from its place inside the key fob and my car refused to start(despite taking a good crank).

Look at the dashboard, the immobilizer icon must be flashing. I seriously doubt if the SA is/was trying to commit a future theft.

Just open the two screws of the key fob shell(one of the screws is exposed, the other is beneath the 'S' icon of Suzuki) and you would be able to see that the immobilizer chip has dislocated from its intended place which in turn is causing the problem.

The distance/proximity of the key sensor to that of the key hole is very very confined, a few centimeter distance can cause the Immobilizer to activate(have done this R&D before completing the key fob DIY).

Please open the key fob and you shall be surprised of the idiosyncrasy.

AND make sure to paste the immobilizer chip there with a good amount of glue so that you do not get this ugly surprise again at the most unexpected destinations.
Old 14th November 2014, 16:09   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post
It happened with me once. I transferred the std key of my swift to the flip key shell.
A few months down the line, the immobilizer chip moved from its place inside the key fob and my car refused to start(despite taking a good crank).

Please open the key fob and you shall be surprised of the idiosyncrasy.

AND make sure to paste the immobilizer chip there with a good amount of glue so that you do not get this ugly surprise again at the most unexpected destinations.
Buddy,

Let me check this tonight! I hope this should only be the cause of this.

Amit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks