Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2006, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Automatic Transmission - Gearbox oil change

guys,
whats the kms schedule for changing gearbox oil in an automatic transmission?
thanks
vinod
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:55   #2
DRC
BHPian

Wait a minute, My car ( manual tranny) come with lifetime gear box engine oil.

How does that make such a difference for auto trannies?
Old 23rd May 2006, 19:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Guys, firstly need to know what car it is, as the newer breed mostly(imported) come with sealed tranny boxes.
Secondly, have to disagree with you deeps, a gearbox oil change does not have to happen every 5000kms but every 20,000-30,000 kms. maybe more even. Best is, if u ask the authorised service agent who will guide you. I speak from experience as almost all cars in my garage are autos, til the santro auto which has clocked 40k and oil change has never happened. need to get it done now tough.
With the oil change, change the filter too, as often, the shifting goes haywire with a clogged filter and thick/old oil.
So long enjoy.

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd May 2006 at 19:43.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2006, 20:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Wait a minute, My car ( manual tranny) come with lifetime gear box engine oil.

How does that make such a difference for auto trannies?

change it @ 50K dude it will be good for ur vehicle ,, and which car are u referring to vinod ?
Old 23rd May 2006, 21:02   #5
BHPian

Shouldn't the interval be written on car's mannual? That'll be the most authentic info as it depends on the model of the car.
Old 24th May 2006, 12:05   #6
BHPian

Kinetik,
its ohc. i will check the manual & post it. will check with the dealer too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetik
change it @ 50K dude it will be good for ur vehicle ,, and which car are u referring to vinod ?
Old 24th May 2006, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodbijlani
Kinetik,
its ohc. i will check the manual & post it. will check with the dealer too.
Oh ok vinod... im not too sure about scooters buddy. i was refering to cars all the time. again, best check with the service agent.
Old 24th May 2006, 22:51   #8
BHPian

V-16,
Kinetik is member whom i quoted
mine is a old honda city. i couldnt find the oil change frequency in the manual will be checking with the dealer.
incase you (or any other member) knows it pls post it.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Oh ok vinod... im not too sure about scooters buddy. i was refering to cars all the time. again, best check with the service agent.
Old 21st November 2013, 09:55   #9
BHPian

W124 300D Auto Transmission Gear Oil Refill.

Hi Friends,
I have bought a W124 300D with auto transmission. I want to check and refill the auto transmission fluid/oil. I request you to please guide me on this procedure. Where do I locate the oil dip stick and the oil inlet?

Thanks in anticipation.

Best regards,
Shashank.
Old 17th April 2014, 17:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automatic Transmission - Gearbox oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I speak from experience as almost all cars in my garage are autos, til the santro auto which has clocked 40k and oil change has never happened. need to get it done now tough.
With the oil change, change the filter too, as often, the shifting goes haywire with a clogged filter and thick/old oil.
So long enjoy.
Sir, my understanding after talking with Hyundai workshop manager today, is that the oil filter (actually the oil strainer) does not need to be changed.
This is quite contrary to conventional wisdom with regard to changing tranny oil for automatics.
Interestingly the Santro manual does not mandate a change frequency, rather only asks to Inspect the oil every 5K kms. Many service advisors look at the oil but other than that don't action anything. As a result many santro auto-trannies run on the same oil filled in the factory.
More on the process of Santro auto transmission oil change at this post.
Old 18th April 2014, 10:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

I would advise that in Indian conditions AT transmission fluid be changed at intervals of 2-3 years. Even earlier for high running cars. Our heat and traffic conditions necessitate more frequent transmission fluid changes than stated in the manual as heat build-up is the biggest killer of ATs and AT oils. There are very specific instructions for changing AT oil, it is not a simple drain/fill procedure.

In my civic I noticed a slight clutch type burning smell after about 2 years 9 months and 20k km. I read about it and gave it to the A*S*S* for AT oil change. The SA initially said it was not needed, civic AT oil lasts for 4-5 years and 40k km (if I recollect correctly). I insisted and then afterwards he informed me that the oil was finished and my insistence on the change prevented a premature AT failure.

This of course does not apply to ATs that have lifetime oil and/or are sealed.
sandeep108 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 09:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I would advise that in Indian conditions AT transmission fluid be changed at intervals of 2-3 years. Even earlier for high running cars. Our heat and traffic conditions necessitate more frequent transmission fluid changes than stated in the manual as heat build-up is the biggest killer of ATs and AT oils.
Agreed. The problem is that A.S.S. workshop mechanics/service advisers are not well-versed in servicing the AT. Their collective experience on this is far less than the manual transmission.
The fact that SAs have told me umpteen times, that my AT oil does not need changing is witness to this lack of awareness and training.
When I decided to bite the bullet for my specific car at the FNG, both he and I were horrified to note the colour of the oil draining out. It had been 11 years and 72k km, and no one in A.S.S. had bothered to check the condition of the oil in the tranny much less recommend a change.
Furthermore, most spare parts shops of Hyundai (mine is a Santro automatic) dont even keep the AT oil in stock. And this includes HMP (the company owned workshop).
If the customer needs to get the oil changed, he needs to come in and deposit token money, then take delivery of the oil , and finally it will be changed.

Quote:
There are very specific instructions for changing AT oil, it is not a simple drain/fill procedure..
Depends on the car. Most ATs require removal of the oil by opening the drain plug, , unscrewing the transmission case pan, cleaning/replacing the oil strainer and magnet of iron particles and guck, changing the gasket, and putting everything back together again.

But in Santro AT, one does not need to do all this. Simply drain the oil while the engine is idling. Then put back the drain plug and fill in new oil (equal quantity of what was drained). Start the engine ,and cycle through the gear positions. Keep checking the oil dipstick - to ensure there's no overfill.
Old 1st May 2014, 09:51   #13
BANNED

Most brands recommend 40-50k for the first change (some go as high as 80k). The interval may be halved thereafter.
Old 1st May 2014, 10:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Most brands recommend 40-50k for the first change (some go as high as 80k). The interval may be halved thereafter.
With the growing popularity of Automatics, the owner's manuals have likely started making this recommendation.
For my Santro 2003, all the owner's manual says is "Inspect" the oil every 5K km. There is absolutely no mention anywhere of changing it out, ever.

But when I lay my hands on the Santro (Atos) workshop service manual , there's a procedure laid down for changing the oil - thus indicating that the oil indeed needs to be changed-but again no mention of oil change frequency.

Now why on earth did Hyundai not write the recommended oil change frequency.

I put it down to sheer carelessness by Hyundai. Or maybe they did not expect the Santro automatic to last that long, so why bother even recommending a frequency.
Old 25th May 2016, 15:20   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Resurrecting this old thread...

My Vento AT has completed 5.5 years/83,000 km without a single ATF change. The manual recommends ATF inspect/change at 60,000 km and I have brought it up in both the 60K and 75K services but VW ASS says only DSG boxes need transmission fluid change and that I need not worry. Got a bit scared by the warning on the BR-V review thread that the AT will be unusable if fluid not adequately topped up, so posing this question here? Do I proactively need to change ATF even if ASS is not recommending it? And what oil do I need to use for the 2011 Vento AT (petrol, 1.6 MFI mated to 6-speed torque convertor gearbox)?

Most Viewed