Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:34   #226
BHPian

Re: Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!

Dear all, I am now facing the first damage to my vehicle due to lockdown. I was running my XUV500 every 3-4 days until 10 days before but today I noticed it would not start. The radio and the MID lights up, but when I crank the vehicle, there's a click-click sound and the vehicle does nots tart. Upon raising the hood, I saw big mounds of white deposit on both the battery terminals. I am assuming that it is because of the corrosion deposits that the vehicle is not able to crank. Am I right in my assumption?

I intend to clean the terminals myself with the help of DIY videos online that propose using a baking soda-water mix, sandpaper and brush to clean the stuff. I also understand that I should disconnect the negative terminal first. Any other precautions required? The battery is original one that came with the car and is 5 years old now.

Last edited by Car-riedAway : 22nd April 2020 at 17:35. Reason: additional information about age of battery
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:08   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-riedAway View Post
The radio and the MID lights up, but when I crank the vehicle, there's a click-click sound and the vehicle does nots tart. Upon raising the hood, I saw big mounds of white deposit on both the battery terminals. I am assuming that it is because of the corrosion deposits that the vehicle is not able to crank. Am I right in my assumption?
No. The deposits aren't really causing this mostly. Your battery has run out of juice. Have you regularly checked & topped up electrolyte in the past? Or left it to the ASC folks? Considering it is 5 years old - it has most certainly fallen off the cliff and can't be revived anymore. 5 years is a good service life in today's terms to be honest.
Quote:
I intend to clean the terminals myself with the help of DIY videos online that propose using a baking soda-water mix, sandpaper and brush to clean the stuff. I also understand that I should disconnect the negative terminal first. Any other precautions required? The battery is original one that came with the car and is 5 years old now.
I'd suggest you not to bother. Its not going to make a difference. If you still go ahead with it - please wear protective gloves if you have them. Its acid deposits afterall. Not instantly harmful as such, but precaution is always better. I suggest you take the battery out from the car & then do this brushing and cleaning. Otherwise those acidic deposits will fall on other parts in the engine bay and can cause slow corrosion.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 18:20   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear all, I am now facing the first damage to my vehicle due to lockdown. I was running my XUV500 every 3-4 days until 10 days before but today I noticed it would not start. The radio and the MID lights up, but when I crank the vehicle, there's a click-click sound and the vehicle does nots tart.

The battery is original one that came with the car and is 5 years old now.
That battery needs to be replaced, attempts at starting the car with this dead battery will only cause more damage. Its okay to just vacuum the top of the battery , wipe it clean and leave it there until it can be replaced. Lock the car using the physical key instead of remote lock for the time being.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 19:16   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No. The deposits aren't really causing this mostly. Your battery has run out of juice. Have you regularly checked & topped up electrolyte in the past? Or left it to the ASC folks? Considering it is 5 years old - it has most certainly fallen off the cliff and can't be revived anymore. 5 years is a good service life in today's terms to be honest.

I'd suggest you not to bother. Its not going to make a difference. If you still go ahead with it - please wear protective gloves if you have them. Its acid deposits afterall. Not instantly harmful as such, but precaution is always better. I suggest you take the battery out from the car & then do this brushing and cleaning. Otherwise those acidic deposits will fall on other parts in the engine bay and can cause slow corrosion.
The battery checks were left to the ASC folks only. I didn't check the electrolyte level myself ever. Lesson learnt for future!

If you guys are so sure that the battery can't be revived, I believe I should then not try cleaning and checking if it has some juice left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
That battery needs to be replaced, attempts at starting the car with this dead battery will only cause more damage. Its okay to just vacuum the top of the battery , wipe it clean and leave it there until it can be replaced. Lock the car using the physical key instead of remote lock for the time being.
Since the lockdown I was locking it using physical key only and avoided remote lock. I don't know how the battery deteriorated so much in a span of 10 days may be. I have now no option but to wait until the lockdown is over. Trying to hard start the car might not be possible as well as the steering and brakes won't work due to no power.
Old 24th April 2020, 03:51   #230
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have a query regarding my car's (Nissan Sunny petrol) check engine light is on after changing the battery.
Due to lock down, I had my car grounded for about 3 weeks . Old battery was already showing weak signs, so replaced it yesterday.
But today when I started the car, the engine warning light came on, it was not on before.
Is it normal? Did the battery swap actually cause the problem? Any advice.
Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!-img_20200419_190110__01__01.jpg  

Old 24th April 2020, 10:24   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If you guys are so sure that the battery can't be revived, I believe I should then not try cleaning and checking if it has some juice left.

Since the lockdown I was locking it using physical key only and avoided remote lock. I don't know how the battery deteriorated so much in a span of 10 days may be. I have now no option but to wait until the lockdown is over. Trying to hard start the car might not be possible as well as the steering and brakes won't work due to no power.
You can do the following :

1. Clean the terminals with a brush, and then if you have access to pipe and running water, thoroughly pressure wash the terminals and the adjoining areas, As long as you wash the area clean, there will not be any corrosion. Anyway you can get the whole car pressure washed after the lockdown ends.

2. Wipe the battery dry with a cloth (you will have to throw it afterwards).

3. Once the top is clean, unscrew all the filler inlets. Check the water level in each cell and top it up. Though most will advise against RO water, I have never had any problems with it.

4. If the cells had very little water (below half the battery height), then let the battery rest for one day. Battery does recover once depleted electrolyte is topped up, enough to start your car.

Next day try starting the car. If it starts well and good, if not, then the battery is truly gone.
Old 24th April 2020, 13:25   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
3. Once the top is clean, unscrew all the filler inlets. Check the water level in each cell and top it up. Though most will advise against RO water, I have never had any problems with it.
Topping up electrolyte in a battery already dead, will not revive it anyway. Recharging with external charger will still be necessary.

As for RO - well you can fill normal tap water also, it won't instantly render the battery dead. The drawbacks don't show instantaneous results anyway. The dissolved salts / chemicals react with the electrodes and acid in the battery resulting in poorer battery performance over time. Distillation is the only process that gives actual pure water with 0 impurities and that is why it is recommended for battery top-.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 10:41   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Topping up electrolyte in a battery already dead, will not revive it anyway. Recharging with external charger will still be necessary.
I beg to disagree. I have revived my batteries quite a number of times in the past 40 years. Most of the time the batteries were 3 years or older.

It really depends on why there is no power left in the battery. If it is due to a low electrolyte level, then topping up does rejuvenate the batteries, how much depends on the condition of the battery.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th May 2020 at 07:45. Reason: fixed quotes and spelling
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 18:06   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Most of the ime the batteries were 3 years or older.
I really depends on why there is no power left in the battery. If it is due to low electrolyte level, then topping up does rejuvenate the batteries, how much depends on the condition of the battery.
+1

Back in the days I was not so particular about batteries, until one day the car refused to start at a signal and then on a crowded street, I've recovered few batteries that had lost electrolyte and were topped off ASAP when discovered. The longer the plates are exposed to air the faster the deterioration. But yes, they can be resuscitated.

Of course I am now particular enough to check and maintain electrolyte levels in all car and stationary batteries + have invested in good quality chargers to rescue the battery if it goes flat.
Old 28th April 2020, 21:34   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
+1

Back in the days I was not so particular about batteries, until one day the car refused to start at a signal and then on a crowded street, I've recovered few batteries that had lost electrolyte and were topped off ASAP when discovered. The longer the plates are exposed to air the faster the deterioration. But yes, they can be resuscitated.
So are you saying that you topped up electrolyte and the battery started working without needing any electrical recharging at all? That's what @Aroy is saying. If that is the case - the battery must have run dry altogether losing contact between the plates and opening up the circuit thus not allowing the electrons to flow. If that is the case - the ASC folks should be crucified as a battery cannot run dry this much as long as the top-up is done at routine services by them - which is an item in the service items!

Last edited by Reinhard : 28th April 2020 at 21:35.
Old 28th April 2020, 21:38   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjith812 View Post
Hi guys,
I have a query regarding my car's (Nissan Sunny petrol) check engine light is on after changing the battery.
Due to lock down, I had my car grounded for about 3 weeks . Old battery was already showing weak signs, so replaced it yesterday.
But today when I started the car, the engine warning light came on, it was not on before.
Is it normal? Did the battery swap actually cause the problem? Any advice.
Thank you in advance.
Sir, in all probability a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) was triggered during the process of battery change. The details can be retrieved through a Diagnostic Tool. I think it is a minor one (assuming you have not faced any other symptoms / issues post the battery replacement) and can be cleared using the tool. An authorized service center should be having the tool.

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 21:47   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So are you saying that you topped up electrolyte and the battery started working without needing any electrical recharging at all? That's what @Aroy is saying. If that is the case - the battery must have run dry altogether losing contact between the plates and opening up the circuit thus not allowing the electrons to flow. If that is the case - the ASC folks should be crucified as a battery cannot run dry this much as long as the top-up is done at routine services by them - which is an item in the service items!
Yes, all it needed was a top up and the engine cranked. Of course the battery/batteries picked up a charge when the engine was running and all was back to normal then. The key thing here was the batteries were fully charged so had enough to crank the engine. Lack of electrolyte just prevented the flow of electrons and hence low or no cranking power. Topping off remedied it.

ASC - most will not check the battery. Many ASCs fall for that "maintenance free" tag when nearly all batteries in this country are low maintenance. Exceptions are lux cars that use AGM/gel batteries. ASC technicians are in a hurry to get the car done, billed and out the gate ASAP.

I believe a battery check is best done yourself as a part of regular owner performed routine maintenance.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2020, 22:35   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I believe a battery check is best done yourself as a part of regular owner performed routine maintenance.
Absolutely. This is a million dollar rule. I specifically mention to the ASC not to touch the battery. They spill (their already doubtful) water all over the place and induce rusting of the battery tray etc.

I was just mentioning that at least they should have checked ideally. A battery ran dry means it really was left in the Sahara for long . Anyway - clear now, topic over. Cheers!
Old 29th April 2020, 00:51   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Sir, in all probability a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) was triggered during the process of battery change. The details can be retrieved through a Diagnostic Tool. I think it is a minor one (assuming you have not faced any other symptoms / issues post the battery replacement) and can be cleared using the tool. An authorized service center should be having the tool.
Thank you so much for the response.
I will check with the service center once the lock down ends.
Old 4th May 2020, 15:37   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

My Polo GTI's battery seems to be dead. It was cranking slowly since the last few days for the first crank of the day. After a small run it would crank fine.
I have been starting the car everyday and moving the car out to let the kids play. Yesterday it cranked up slowly and fired the engine up, I moved the car out and when I wanted to move the car back in, battery ran out of juice to fire up the engine. The battery specs are nowhere to be found. Not in the manual , not on the internet and not on any online battery store. So I opened the boot to take a peek at what it looks like .

Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!-img_20200504_135514.jpg

It's a 12V 70AH EFB battery from Moll, Germany. Called up VW service in BLR to talk to the service advisor whether I can install equivalent battery on my own. At first he gives me the usual scare tactics. VW does not recommend third party battery and your warranty will be risk blah blah. But when I said I've never got battery installed at VW centre for any of my other VAG cars, he relented and said you can do it, no issues. Most people go for outside batteries only.

My main purpose of calling was to find out whether I need to go for any specific variety of battery since the car has auto start stop and whether any special programming/ coding is required after installing the battery (like BMW cars need for their AGM batteries) . He seemed to be clueless. Their service centre doesn't open until 11th of this month and he has no idea whether they have batteries in stock

I did some digging on the internet and learnt that only EFB and AGM batteries are suitable for cars with Auto Start/ Stop feature. Looks like Exide has a battery that matches the spec.

https://www.exide.com/eu/en/node/42386

Can I go ahead with this? I need to hunt for this. Not sure whether I will get it in the neighbourhood battery shop. Do EFB batteries require special programing or adaption during installation?

Edit : Above is Exide EU site. I doubt this battery is available in India :(

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 4th May 2020 at 15:51.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks