Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2017, 20:43   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
What's the applicable warranty on batteries which came with the new car (VW polo in my case)? Is it same 1 year just like whole car warranty or 2-3 years (depending on battery manufacturer) like we get for aftermarket batteries. My brothers VW polo was purchased approx 2 years ago and now OEM battery is dead. Service advisor says warranty only 1 year. What are my options for this issue?
OEM batteries are warranted for 6-12 months only. You'll get affirmative details in the warranty card included with your car. After market batteries are made better, last longer and have longer warranties. That's why they cost more than OEM batteries do to the car manufacturer.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:09   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
OEM batteries are warranted for 6-12 months only. You'll get affirmative details in the warranty card included with your car. After market batteries are made better, last longer and have longer warranties. That's why they cost more than OEM batteries do to the car manufacturer.
That need not be always true. All my Marutis came with Exide and lasted between 3 and 6 years. I guess that batteries for petrol cars last longer than those for diesel.
Anyway, each car I have bought in the last twenty five years (6 Maruti and 1 Honda) came with a warranty card for the battery.

Last edited by Aroy : 15th August 2017 at 11:10.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:27   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
That need not be always true. All my Marutis came with Exide and lasted between 3 and 6 years. I guess that batteries for petrol cars last longer than those for diesel.
Agreed, there are exceptions and some owners have shared experiences of their OEM batteries lasting 4-6 years. But a large majority fail. And since Exide has an majority share of OEM business you'll find most TBHPians voicing their grievances on this thread: Exide Battery Woes (Oh No! Exide battery woes again)

Which reminds me I need to update that thread.

Quote:
Anyway, each car I have bought in the last twenty five years (6 Maruti and 1 Honda) came with a warranty card for the battery.
Same here. All cars I purchased had OEM batteries that came with a warranty card.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:57   #199
Senior - BHPian

Good thread. Having owned cars in the family from my infant days, I too was groomed to take care of the car battery using the same techniques mentioned in the OP.

Perhaps this is the reason that the replaceent Exide in my M800 lasted 6 years and in my WagonR for 6.3 years. But as my wife drives the WagonR mostly in the past few years, the latest Exide lasted only 5.2 years. She does not conserve battery power using the points in the OP!

When it comes to OEM batteries that come with the new car, my WagonR's lasted 4.2 years, Fiesta's 5.2 years and diesel Figo's 3.1 years. It does look like batteries on diesel cars don't last long. I can confirm this assumption when the Figo's replacement Ford battery goes kaput.
Old 20th November 2017, 14:11   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good battery tester/voltage reader from Aliexpress of Gearbest? Looking to get one, but too many choices out there to make an informed purchasing decision...
Old 20th November 2017, 17:48   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hi Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good battery tester/voltage reader from Aliexpress of Gearbest? Looking to get one, but too many choices out there to make an informed purchasing decision...
What parameter of the battery's health do you want to to test? Capacity? Charging voltage/amps, load test? The tools differ.

If you want to check voltage buy a simple DMM, for charging amps a clamp meter, for load testing you need a load test and battery health device. Some of these testing devices can get expensive.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 18:37   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
What parameter of the battery's health do you want to to test? Capacity? Charging voltage/amps, load test? The tools differ.

If you want to check voltage buy a simple DMM, for charging amps a clamp meter, for load testing you need a load test and battery health device. Some of these testing devices can get expensive.
Just got to check voltage now and then...
Old 20th November 2017, 18:46   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just got to check voltage now and then...
Buy a decent multimeter. I'd recommend a Fluke 101/106/107 depending on your budger. Similar products are available from other manufacturers like Meco, Rishabh or Mastech. Check on Amazon India for prices and other details. I suggest buying a Fluke.

A word of caution - you can buy cheap Chinese DMMs for a few hundred bucks but remember thats the only thing between you and a high voltage shock if/when you measure mains voltage. So, get it right the first time.
Old 20th November 2017, 18:59   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Got it r2d2. I am looking at the fluke 101 series. Will wait for one of those big amazon sale events to bring this home. Thank you, good i didn't go out and get one of those chinese multimeters.

Can i also check inverter batteries with this unit?

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th November 2017 at 19:04.
Old 20th November 2017, 19:29   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can i also check inverter batteries with this unit?
Yes, voltage checks are possible on any device that produces OR consumes electricity provided the voltage is within measuring range of the device.

You can check voltage (AC/DC) Amps (AC/DC) mV (AC/DC), Resistance (Ohms), continuity, etc on these meters depending on the model. Please check the specs especially volt and amp ranges before buying.

Last but not the least, always read the manual before use.
Old 20th November 2017, 22:00   #206
BHPian

One can also check voltage through OBD2 scanner (Bluetooth) on a mobile app, with an added advantage of other technical parameters.
Old 27th November 2017, 08:58   #207
BHPian

Recently I noticed that my XUV makes an extra effort to start, especially in the morning. Its 3 years old and running on the OEM battery.
The OEM battery in my Swift Zxi had lasted around 6 years. So, wondering if this is a battery issue or any problem with starter motor etc.
The problem is not so severe and my car is due for service in a couple of weeks. I will ask them to check the issue during service.

Any suggestions?
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:26   #208
BHPian

Need Advice : Battery Replacement - Tata Manza Quadrajet

I am in a quandary here. The battery in my Manza Quadrajet ABS needs replacement. The Owner's Manual informs me that the battery is a 60 AH for Quadrajet (44 AH for Safire Petrol).

I remember reading somewhere in the forum, that a battery of somewhat higher AH can be safely installed, provided that the alternator is able to fully charge the battery . That way it can take whatever load the system throws at it , & then some. The alternator is, as described in the Owner's Manual - "12V 105A with vacuum pump" which I presume is a 12 Volt, with a rated capacity to provide 105 Ampere current.

On the Amaron website, the recommended battery for Tata Manza is a 70 AH one (BL 700 RMF). This further confuses things a bit.

Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!-amaron.png

My query is
  • Can a battery of a higher rating (70AH) instead of recommended rating (60AH) be installed in the car?
  • Will the alternator be able to charge the battery fully? From its description in the owner's manual, the Alternator seems rated for 105 amperes.
  • Any negatives, if at all I go ahead with this?
  • Any positives?

Experts / experienced hands / knowledgeable folks may please chip in.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 3rd May 2018 at 15:28.
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:15   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need Advice : Battery Replacement - Tata Manza Quadrajet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
My query is
  • Can a battery of a higher rating (70AH) instead of recommended rating (60AH) be installed in the car?
  • Will the alternator be able to charge the battery fully? From its description in the owner's manual, the Alternator seems rated for 105 amperes.
Check the rating of alternator. If the alternator is at least 80A, you can go for the 70Ah battery. The capacity of the alternator should be higher than that of the installed battery.

The one disadvantage I can think of is if the new battery will fit. I have done the same in my Storme - 90Ah battery instead of the 80Ah stock battery. I had a small problem that the connector plate dimensions were made for the 80Ah battery. ( This plate has many wires terminating on it and this plate also mounts on the +ve terminal of the battery). I am not sure of the setup on the Manza - if the +ve terminal has only that thick wire, or if anything else is mounted on the terminal.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2018, 17:31   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need Advice : Battery Replacement - Tata Manza Quadrajet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
On the Amaron website, the recommended battery for Tata Manza is a 70 AH one (BL 700 RMF). This further confuses things a bit.
I was also in a similar situation couple of weeks back. All online websites showed 68Ah for the Creta but when I checked the stock battery it said 60Ah. I went ahead and purchased offline. They provided me with a 68Ah battery (Amaron) and was a perfect fit.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed