Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 04:38   #76
BHPian

Re: Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Off hand I cannot say, but it is easily checked at the battery shop. If you have a multimeter you can check it at home.

The voltage drop is not as critical as the starting current that the battery can deliver (though excessive drop will decrease the current). Some batteries have a very low resistance and can pump in a lot of current at lower voltages - 8V to 9V, while others cannot.
Thank you so much for the response. I am trying to know if the battery really needs replacement or not???

Here is what had happened!
I recharged the battery and plonked it back in the car.

Voltage readings

Without any load or ignition key - (+/-) 12.78V
Cranking voltage - voltage drops down (+/-) 9.76v and then quickly rises back to (+/-) 14.78v
Engine shut down - (+/-) 13.73v

The guy at battery shops says, the voltage should not fall below 11v or worst 10v. Since my car's battery drops down to 9v it is kaput and can die anytime on road. Further he also said the alternator/dynamo would continuosly keep recharging the battery and those mechanicals items would also die soon.

Somehow I am not convinced with his explanation.
petrolhead_chn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:55   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
Thank you so much for the response. I am trying to know if the battery really needs replacement or not???

Here is what had happened!
I recharged the battery and plonked it back in the car.

Voltage readings

Without any load or ignition key - (+/-) 12.78V
Cranking voltage - voltage drops down (+/-) 9.76v and then quickly rises back to (+/-) 14.78v
Engine shut down - (+/-) 13.73v

The guy at battery shops says, the voltage should not fall below 11v or worst 10v. Since my car's battery drops down to 9v it is kaput and can die anytime on road. Further he also said the alternator/dynamo would continuosly keep recharging the battery and those mechanicals items would also die soon.

Somehow I am not convinced with his explanation.
The only sure way to check a battery is to discharge it under load and note the voltage drop. In older days when each cell was connected externally the battery shops had a cell discharge meter (essentially a low resistance between two prongs) and the meter would be calibrated in both voltage and capacity. You just touched the prongs to each cell and noted the reading. A similar device for 12V is used in larger workshops.

I would suggest that you keep using the battery till it just gives up, as long as that will not inconvenience you. Please get the alternator checked and if possible serviced - open, clean the contact areas, lubricate/change the bearings. That will increase the efficiency if it has never been serviced in the last 5 years.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 10:16   #78
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that you keep using the battery till it just gives up, as long as that will not inconvenience you. Please get the alternator checked and if possible serviced - open, clean the contact areas, lubricate/change the bearings. That will increase the efficiency if it has never been serviced in the last 5 years.
Thank you Aroy. I'd try to do that this weekend.
Old 20th October 2013, 23:42   #79
BHPian

Replaced the battery of my 2005 Santro Xing last week. It was running on the OEM Exide battery till now - for 7 years and 10 months! Of late, the cranks had become really lazy, requiring 2-3 cranks each time. Recharged it once, but didn't last too long. Finally, it decided to die, luckily while parked in my shed.

Replaced with Araron Pro with 30 + 30 months warranty. MRP was 4799/-, but the local Amaron Pit Stop guy struck a final deal of 4000/- with the old battery buy back, which is mandatory. September 2013 manufactured.

Also, nowadays I'm seeing an Exide advertisement on TV. Can't remember ever seeing one before! Also, the Amaron ad's have faded away. Those "Lasts long.... Ting tong" ones. Does that mean Amaron is eating considerably into Exide sales to push them out of their comfort zone??
Attached Thumbnails
Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!-20131010_191521_157.jpg  

Car Battery: Dos and Don'ts!-20131010_191730_828.jpg  

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 20th October 2013 at 23:49. Reason: Adding the ad thing!
Old 21st October 2013, 09:33   #80
BHPian

Quote:
That will increase the efficiency if it has never been serviced in the last 5 years.
Little OT, excuse me

Dear Aroy ji, normally the car alternators are BOSCH make. Is there an authorised outlet, which specifically does alternator servicing/preventive maintenance? I mean, competent ones? Where else, do you suggest getting this task done properly in the NCR region?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 21st October 2013 at 09:34.
Old 21st October 2013, 09:58   #81
Senior - BHPian

Is is possible to replace the battery connectors? They seem to be loose (unable to tighten), but I am not able to source a new set.
I have put copper (sourced from electrical wire) in between the connector and battery terminal, but I think I'll need a new set.
Mileage is coming down because of this. Battery is less than a year old.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 21st October 2013 at 10:01.
Old 21st October 2013, 11:23   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Little OT, excuse me

Dear Aroy ji, normally the car alternators are BOSCH make. Is there an authorised outlet, which specifically does alternator servicing/preventive maintenance? I mean, competent ones? Where else, do you suggest getting this task done properly in the NCR region?
With cars getting more and more reliable, there are less breakdowns hence less repairs. That has resulted in dearth of experts in electrical repairs. I used to go to Zamrudpur (behind GK1, entry lane in front of LSR), where they have a lot of repair shops, machine shops and electrical experts.

If that is too far, then the better places are where the Taxi operators get their repairs done. These are relatively inexpensive and work is done properly.

Last edited by Aroy : 21st October 2013 at 11:26.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 13:02   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Is is possible to replace the battery connectors? They seem to be loose (unable to tighten), but I am not able to source a new set.
I have put copper (sourced from electrical wire) in between the connector and battery terminal, but I think I'll need a new set.
I assume you are talking about the terminals which are hooked in the battery. Terminals are available in battery shops which can be bolted on the wire strands of the leads after removing the older terminals. Also, complete leads set (both +ve & -ve wires) are available which will be more reliable and easy but will be little expensive.

Quote:
Why would that be?
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 15:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

Mileage can come down because of a weaker spark or missing spark, if there is a loose contact. I am seeing an improvement in mileage (back to previous levels) after adding copper wire to temporarily tighten the battery terminal. I may be wrong, though.
Old 21st October 2013, 16:06   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mileage can come down because of a weaker spark or missing spark, if there is a loose contact. I am seeing an improvement in mileage (back to previous levels) after adding copper wire to temporarily tighten the battery terminal. I may be wrong, though.
I think there is some other reason if your mileage is getting affected. Even I am not 100% sure, but a weak battery should not result in bad FE. The alternator produces enough juice for spark plugs. In fact, in older cars (not sure of cars with ECU), you could actually remove the battery once the car has been started!

Last edited by saket77 : 21st October 2013 at 16:12.
Old 30th November 2013, 08:34   #86
BHPian

Yesterday, my Indica Vista did a thing on me. Fabulously reliable as she normally is, maybe today is just not her day.
I parked my car after a 120 km highway drive on Thursday evening. No lazy cranks, no dimmings, no weak horns.

On Saturday morning, when I turned the key to ON position (just before cranking), I got a rapid tick-tick sound from the starter motor. On the dashboard, the diagnostic indicators (ECU,etc) okayed one by one (stayed on for a bit and then the indicator went out). Except for the heating coil indicator (the symbol which looks like a comical bulb filament). It was blinking really fast.

When I tried cranking the engine (adventurous me!!), the ticking stopped but there was no sound - the engine failed to crank - not even a try.
But now, the horn is weak - I've a "skoda-wala horn" installed and now it was reduced to a very meek peep.

Can anyone point out what exactly the problem is here - is the battery kaput or is it a starter problem?

Specs
--------
Model - Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura
Manufacturing date - May 2009
Battery - Exide "Freedom" MF50Z - not changed yet. So battery is 4 yrs 6 months old.
Battery hasnt died on me yet. No recharging done till now.

Last edited by KL54 : 30th November 2013 at 08:52.
Old 30th November 2013, 09:44   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

most likely - battery problem
Battery is already 4.5 years, a little over average life we see with batteries
Old 30th November 2013, 10:09   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Battery is already 4.5 years, a little over average life we see with batteries
It depends so greatly on the load one puts on. My first purchase after OE battery (2004, March) was 2008, July.
That one got replaced last month (October, 28). I didn't get Amaron in my area and had to settle down with Exide Express.
Old 30th November 2013, 11:17   #89
Senior - BHPian

All signs point to battery gone kaput, so get it checked.
Old 30th November 2013, 11:23   #90
J.Ravi

After working well for over 4 years/71 k km, my Linea's factory-fitted Exide battery [44 Ah] took voluntary retirement yesterday paving way for the new-comer Amaron Flo [45 Ah]. The details are here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks