Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 23:49   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Engine Rebuild Cost?

I just got the estimation with and without the engine block.

With new Engine block:

Engine Rebuild Cost?-fullscreen-capture-10172013-113906-pm.bmp.jpg
Engine Rebuild Cost?-fullscreen-capture-10172013-113951-pm.bmp.jpg

Without the new Engine block:

Engine Rebuild Cost?-fullscreen-capture-10172013-114052-pm.bmp.jpg
Engine Rebuild Cost?-fullscreen-capture-10172013-114130-pm.bmp.jpg
Old 18th October 2013, 00:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine had a polo which had an underbody hit, and damaged the sump, engine ran out of oil (didnt seize though - I had him get it towed immediately after i heard that). He was hit with a 60K estimate. The last I heard, Insurance paid for it.

It was a new car, but hey, If you are going to do it anyway, worth a shot asking for insurance
Old 18th October 2013, 03:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend getting the work done by an independent workshop. I had a similar experience with my Figo earlier this month. Got it fixed outside ( got the car back last evening) . It cost under 50 K. This is a turbodiesel and a Ford at that so the parts are expensive. No point in spending such a big amount on a 10 year old car.
Old 18th October 2013, 08:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Blessing in disguise !

Is your cousin is a car enthusiast!

Import a nice B16 engine and stick it in there.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 10:36   #20
Team-BHP Support

The car has done only 69K in 9+ years since he mostly in Singapore. He loves to drive, but living in Singapore doesn't let him indulge in that hobby.

They have completely opened up the engine. Should he take the car out as is and hand it over to an independent garage?
Old 18th October 2013, 12:01   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The car has done only 69K in 9+ years since he mostly in Singapore. He loves to drive, but living in Singapore doesn't let him indulge in that hobby.

They have completely opened up the engine. Should he take the car out as is and hand it over to an independent garage?
Honda parts are bloody expensive!

Can you please ask the A.S.S, as to what exactly is wrong with the engine? I strongly believe that from an Independent garage, a lot of parts can be salvaged, unlike the dealership, which is virtually changing each and every part.

Also, can you please ask if you buy the entire half engine, it will cost the same?
Old 18th October 2013, 12:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Damn! Engine parts are super expensive, Honda crank is around 10 times expensive compared to a new Suzuki K engine crank. Honda engine block is almost 4 times as costly as K block from Suzuki. Probably all of these are imported.

Not worth spending this much on the 9 year old car if they don't plan to retain this vehicle for any sentimental/emotional values in which case you can't put a price on it. If so go for the total rebuild.

If its not a special car it might be worth checking out with some reputed engine rebuilder (like Kuttukaran) if they can salvage the block. In which case get the rebuild done in existing block and use the car for a while and sell it off in as is condition. Any pics of the damaged area on the block?

If the engine is fully disassembled get the supervisor from the other garage involved in the handover process and make a list of parts that are being transferred and make him confirm he has received all thats included in the list. It'll avoid any confusion or missing part blame game later in time.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 20:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Even if one major item (crank/ block/ head) has to be changed, and the equipment is not critical, I would say source a engine from the a scrapped vehicle, or get a short block (if head is OK). Else there is always a juggad solution. Individual choice to accept or reject.

Juggad Solution:
Quote:
While assembling we found cylinder block crankshaft seating portion is minor damage due to the exessive heat generation at the time of accidental driving condition. Asper company norms we have to replace the whole cylinder block assy and its additional cost rs 1,00,000, other wise if you will agree we are ready to do the lathe work and fix it back to the car
In all probability the bearing melted and seized with the crank. Sometimes it causes the shell to turn (projecting tangs on the shell be damned!) damaging the housing. This is what I think has happened.

In that case, if the damage is slight (which I think it is, because the workshop guys had missed it initially), a competent machine shop can 'line bore' the housing. You will then need oversize shell (with bearing area undersize!) which I'm sure you will not get. The juggad solution is to use copper foil as a spacer/ backing for the shell. Recommended - no. But if one is out of options (like say working on a vintage car) it works.

Once again I'd say source an engine from a scrapped car. And check out the cost of a short block from the company.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 18th October 2013 at 20:14.
Old 18th October 2013, 21:27   #24
BHPian

Why does the bill of materials say 8 spark plugs?
Old 19th October 2013, 14:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Why does the bill of materials say 8 spark plugs?
Do you have an iDsi engine? If so, then it had 2 spark plugs for each cylinder. Hence the 8 spark plugs

Is your engine an iDsi? If so then it has two spark plugs for each cylinder. Hence 8 spark plugs for 4 cylinders

Last edited by aah78 : 20th October 2013 at 19:58. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 26th October 2013, 19:29   #26
Team-BHP Support

Might be late, but did they send the pictures of damaged parts? If opened they will charge for that and you will have to tow it out.
Old 27th October 2013, 16:38   #27
Team-BHP Support

My cousin has decided to sell the car without fixing. It is not really practical for him to get it done outside while being in Singapore. His dad is too old to run around garages.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 20:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Good decision. At the end of the day, even that will amount towards downpayment for the next car - and he is right, once the engine is kaput, it is difficult to get it back into absolutely tip-top condition again, and efforts to get near that, takes a toll - financially, mentally and physically.
Old 7th November 2013, 08:45   #29
Team-BHP Support

Why not take this option?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...y-engine.html/
Old 7th November 2013, 09:18   #30
Team-BHP Support

2002 model means it could be OHC or NHC. The seller is not clear about the engine type.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks