Old 8th November 2013, 14:53   #31
BHPian

re: Engine Rebuild Cost?

That is a OHC 1.5 engine.
cosmos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 16:15   #32
BHPian

Urgent: Honda City 2007 Engine Rebuilding

Folks, this is a little urgent so if anyone has any suggestion, please feel free to contribute. A friend drives 2007 Honda City, and her car broke down around a month back. She took it to the honda's A.S.S. in Andheri who were never definitive in determining the exact issue, finally came out with the conclusion that crankshaft needs replacement. They opened the engine yesterday and called her again this morning to say that a piston is also broken, and the pistons will also need replacement, along with piston rings, rods etc. They have sent a total estimate of Rs. 2.05 lacs (excluding taxes), which means we are talking about an expense of Rs. 2.3-2.4 lacs. I am attaching the quotation.

My simple question - what should she do? Since the engine has already been opened at A.S.S in Andheri, i don't know if its feasible to take the car to an independent garage now? But at the same time spending 2.5 lacs for a 2007 car sounds atrocious. Can someone suggest a good garage/mechanic in Mumbai who could intervene and help even at this stage? One possible option i can think of is to move to the car from A.S.S to an independent mechanic but the mechanic will need to help during the entire process. Thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aditya : 6th June 2014 at 12:27. Reason: Changing title
Old 5th June 2014, 16:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Urgent: Honda Civic 2007 Engine Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohank024 View Post

My simple question - what should she do? Since the engine has already been opened at A.S.S in Andheri, i don't know if its feasible to take the car to an independent garage now? But at the same time spending 2.5 lacs for a 2007 car sounds atrocious. Can someone suggest a good garage/mechanic in Mumbai who could intervene and help even at this stage? One possible option i can think of is to move to the car from A.S.S to an independent mechanic but the mechanic will need to help during the entire process. Thanks.
There are plenty of reputed independant garages in Mumbai.Outside HASS this would probably cost much much less even with OE parts.The car can be towed to the garage. I can think of Jatin Patel (wagen work, Santacruz) who could help you out or Joe from Nakita motors Bandra.

There are more just search in the team bhp directory.I hope it's not solitaire Andheri that you are talking about because those guys are morons and incompetent.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 16:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
There are plenty of reputed independant garages in Mumbai.Outside HASS this would probably cost much much less even with OE parts.The car can be towed to the garage. I can think of Jatin Patel (wagen work, Santacruz) who could help you out or Joe from Nakita motors Bandra.

There are more just search in the team bhp directory.I hope it's not solitaire Andheri that you are talking about because those guys are morons and incompetent.
Indeed I am talking about Solitaire Andheri only. They are saying engine is seized, and nothing much can be done except for replacing the damaged parts. You think Nakita motors is good at engine rebuilding? Its close to my house in Bandra so i can visit them this week, and request them to visit Solitaire with my friend and hopefully get the car towed from there?
Old 5th June 2014, 16:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

1) How did the engine stop working? Explain in all detail you can come up with.

2) If it was a water/coolant-loss seizure (coolant hose getting cut example) then head would have taken a massive hit, hence the valves and head related parts. PS - water pump failure also can lead to this, so would a hole in the radiator

3) If it was a oil loss seizure (hitting a rock on the road and driving on example) then crankshaft, piston and the bottom block would have taken a hit.

4) If the timing system (belt/chain/gear? Honda?) had cut/broken/slipped etc, then the valves would have bent cam shaft would have busted, but i dont see a camshaft in the list, so ruling this out.

Only name I can remember who rebuilt his honda engine (due to driver negligence) was Jaggu (Blore Tbhp Mod, Honda CRV 1st Gen), it was also in 6 figures :(

One thing is sure - there is no need to replace most of the top and bottom parts as they are not directly related, example (1) Water pump failure - head heats up, gasket busted, engine stops - doesnt mean crankshaft has taken a hit --- vice versa --- (2) Oil loss, crank seizes, water pump doesnt take a hit. So does the plugs, temp sensor, etc....

Cant make out why the A.s.s asking to replace the whole internal except the block and head itself!!
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 17:22   #36
BHPian

You can visit Mr. Sunil Shanbhag at Select Auto in Dadar. In my opinion, and that of several others, he is the best independent mechanic in Bombay. He is right up there, as good as they get.

I can assure you that he will have the necessary technical expertise and availability of resources to do a top notch job for you, at a justifiable cost. Don't expect cheap repairs, because the quality of his work will be unparalleled. However, it will definitely be less than HASS. He is a truly sincere mechanic if there ever was one, not to mention knowledgeable.

The downside is that you need to follow up with him quite often, and do not expect a quick turnaround. This guy will take time. However if you do decide to go to him, I can assure you complete customer satisfaction.

Give him my reference if you wish, Swarnava - 10 year old Alto.

Attaching the link with his details from TBHP directory: LINK
swarnava.m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 17:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed I am talking about Solitaire Andheri only. They are saying engine is seized, and nothing much can be done except for replacing the damaged parts. You think Nakita motors is good at engine rebuilding? Its close to my house in Bandra so i can visit them this week, and request them to visit Solitaire with my friend and hopefully get the car towed from there?
Buddy you would have to get the car to them rather than ask them to visit solitaire.Have a word with Joe and see what he says about the engine rebuild.Look up his no in the team-bhp directory.
Old 5th June 2014, 18:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Is this a city or civic?
The title says civic, but the thread quotes it as city. Not that it really matters, but I would suggest to get it repaired at an independent garage and then sell it. Again, if the independent garage costs close to what the HASS is quoting, sell it as it is. Just my 2 cents.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 18:11   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Is this a city or civic?

The title says civic, but the thread quotes it as city. Not that it really matters, but I would suggest to get it repaired at an independent garage and then sell it. Again, if the independent garage costs close to what the HASS is quoting, sell it as it is. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry for the OT.

But why are you suggestion to sell it off?

I don't see any harm to the car after the engine rebuild though it depends on the quality of work but as many have suggested confidently, the car will be back in form.

EDIT:

@Ronak: Tow the car to an independent garage and get a second opinion plus get it repaired using OEM parts.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th June 2014 at 18:13.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 22:17   #40
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your suggestion and please keep them coming. I think its pretty clear now that my friend should make an attempt to get the car repaired at an independent garage, which hopefully will cost much less (i hope it costs atleast a lac less then what Solitaire A.S.S has quoted). Next week she ll get the vehicle towed to one of Nakita or Sunil Shaunbagh or any other reputed independent garage after speaking to them.
Old 6th June 2014, 10:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestion and please keep them coming...
May I know how many kms had it run before it broke down?
Old 6th June 2014, 10:47   #42
BANNED

Definitely needs to go to an independent garage.

Out of curiosity, how many kms has this car covered, was it a used car, what could have caused such a thing to happen?

Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 10:48   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
May I know how many kms had it run before it broke down?
yea it was bought new in 2007 and has run around 68k
rohank024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 08:27   #44
BANNED

Quote:

yea it was bought new in 2007 and has run around 68k
Any update buddy on the engine rebuild?

Anurag.
Old 19th June 2014, 17:30   #45
BHPian

Honda City Engine Died On Highway

Hi all,

My family and I were travelling from Bangalore towards Chennai on the GQ highway in my mom's 2009 (I think) Honda City (arrow shape). It's a very low-mileage car (done around 22k kilometres only) since mom uses it only for short rides to work and back. We maintain our cars well and regular servicing was done at Star Honda, Vellore until they relinquished their Honda dealership. Subsequently it was done at Jain Cars, Vellore who were the erstwhile Honda franchisees (under the 'Star Honda' name) and are the franchisees for Nissan and a few other brands in Vellore.

At 9.15 pm, around 20 km from Kanchipuram (towards Chennai), near a place called Bargur, we were doing around 100 kmph on the highway when there was a slight jerk and the engine cut out without warning. We happened to be coming down a flyover, so dad who was driving maneuvered to the left and we rolled to a stop by the side of the road. All the dashboard warning lights came on, including the power steering / steering lock light (picture of a steering wheel) and the engine emissions warning light. The steering did not lock and the brakes continued to work. The battery was fine since the roof lights and headlights continued to work well.

We tried restarting the car but it would not crank. It's not that nothing happened upon turning the key-- there was a 1-second 'nng' but then nothing further, as if the starter was being prevented from turning. Upon turning the key, the fuel indicator needle would fall to zero and return to original position when the key was released.

After several phone calls to several people, we finally organized a flatbed tow truck to Vellore and went home in a cab after handing over the car.

I initially assumed it was some sort of ECU failure since mechanically everything seemed to be fine. (Battery terminals properly connected, no fluid leaks under the car other than pooled AC condensation, no smoke from radiator. Unfortunately we didn't check the oil level, in hindsight we should have.) Upon googling it seemed a possible cause could have also been a clogged catalytic converter.

However, the Honda/former Honda people at whose showroom we left the car have told us that it is a mechanical issue and not electronic. They asked for permission to open the engine and have a look, and we had little option but to comply.

I am not in direct contact with the showroom/dealership so I'm not sure of the present status. I also don't have full details of the car purchase date etc, with me. I do know that the car was regularly serviced and that it has not given even a hint of engine trouble (or any other trouble) until this happened.

Does anyone have any ideas on possible causes and the way forward? The car is almost certainly out of the warranty period and the nearest Honda dealership is 150+ km away in Chennai.

Searched and found a few similar threads but nothing exactly similar to this.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...etrol-cng.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...failure-7.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-accent-7.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-light-8.html

Many thanks,

Perakath

Pics of tow truck and car sitting in the dealer yard:
Attached Thumbnails
Engine Rebuild Cost?-20140615_103956_resized.jpg  

Engine Rebuild Cost?-20140615_104324_resized.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com