Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:15   #46
BHPian

Re: All about Car Polishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hello, why do you say that?
I have been using a jopasu last 1+ year very regularly on my 2+ year old manza.
I really find it very useful for natural dust particles (polluted /dusty environment parking). Also I feel (after1+ year of use) that it causes no/minimal swirl marks.
Correct me if I am doing this wrong to my car.
If the car is very dusty/dirty the particles would be dragged over the surface causing minor swirls. it can still be used though depending upon the requirement for eg. you cant wash the car properly using a traditional bucket wash and need a quick solution.

Now the swirls would be more noticeable on a darker color, on a lighter color, say white or silver it would be not that obvious.

From what i have experienced, typical daily usage of a car duster in our conditions would last for around a few months ~ 6 months. The best way to understand this is when the duster stops picking dust and starts pushing it around the surface, time to get new one !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 11:35   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Hello, why do you say that?
I have been using a jopasu last 1+ year very regularly on my 2+ year old manza.
I really find it very useful for natural dust particles (polluted /dusty environment parking). Also I feel (after1+ year of use) that it causes no/minimal swirl marks.
Correct me if I am doing this wrong to my car.
Duster is good and you are doing it right. My suggestion was not to use the duster on a dirty car. Mild to moderate dirt can be removed with duster. But for heavy dirt you need to do a rinseless wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post

If the car is very dusty/dirty the particles would be dragged over the surface causing minor swirls. it can still be used though depending upon the requirement for eg. you cant wash the car properly using a traditional bucket wash and need a quick solution.

Now the swirls would be more noticeable on a darker color, on a lighter color, say white or silver it would be not that obvious.

From what i have experienced, typical daily usage of a car duster in our conditions would last for around a few months ~ 6 months. The best way to understand this is when the duster stops picking dust and starts pushing it around the surface, time to get new one !
Thanks @Nirmaljusdoit for explaining better than I could have.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:07   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Fiesta 1.6 S Thats one awesome car there. Love the color as well.

1. Never dust the car with duster in case of heavy dirt.

2. Optimum no rinse is a good, tried and tested product. You can do rinseless washing with it and wont require a shampoo.

3. Meguiars Ultimate polish like @Pedaltothefloor has suggested is also very good. For hand usage. Do make sure you clay the car

4. Instead of using collinite, why not go for a sealant that will enhance the looks of the lovely blue color of your car? Collinite is definitely a good sealant hands down, but there are better sealants that enhance the looks more.

How about trying out Carpro Reload? Its available in small sample sizes - ive been using that for quite sometime - easiest sealant to apply, amazing beading, amazing glossy shine - althought it lasts only for 2 to 3 months on daily drive.

A sample size bottle usually lasts 2 applications.

And always use microfiber towels.

Do post some after pics of your car once you are done. Lovely choice of car and color.
Firstly, thanks for your compliments, makes me feel really good, even before I wash my car

So ONR, when used would not need a seperate water wash to remove it right? Like a shampoo needs?

Done, Claying is included, got mother's clay bar quite sometime back, shall use it now.

I narrowed down on Collinite 845, as i heard its easy to apply with hands and that the finish is good, and lasts long. Feel free to direct me to any other product that you would recommend a newbie.

Microfibre towels need to be purchased, any good VFM ones? Also, how do I take care of the MF cloth after repeated usage?
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
So ONR, when used would not need a seperate water wash to remove it right? Like a shampoo needs?
That is correct.

Quote:
I narrowed down on Collinite 845, as i heard its easy to apply with hands and that the finish is good, and lasts long. Feel free to direct me to any other product that you would recommend a newbie.
Please go ahead and share a review in the Waxes & Sealants thread. Nobody ever went wrong with a Collinite

Quote:
Microfibre towels need to be purchased, any good VFM ones? Also, how do I take care of the MF cloth after repeated usage?
Sonax Red MF Towels available at all Shell Bunks, cost around Rs. 165
Meguiar's Supreme Shine Towels available on www.autofresh.in, cost around Rs. 245
Eurow towels available here

Amway SA8 Delicate detergent is very good for washing MF towels. Shortly, www.detailedclean.in will go live and there may be other products like Blackfire Pad Cleaner available then. If you need a lot of things, I would recommend that you wait for a week or so as Detailed Clean will have a very large selection of products. If you want the world famous Cobra towels and are willing to pay a premium, they are available on www.bringingbest.in Do not wash the towels with anything that has a fabric softener in it.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 2nd December 2013 at 12:32.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, thanks for your compliments, makes me feel really good, even before I wash my car

Done, Claying is included, got mother's clay bar quite sometime back, shall use it now.

You are welcome. In this day and age, we hardly get to see people interested in performance petrol cars - a man after my own heart

No ONR would not require any separate water wash to remove it. Thats why its best for maintenance washes, and also to use as a drying aid.

Mother's clay bar is also good - it will be a bit hard in texture and a bit difficult to use - but I suggest you break each bar in half and use it - watch video demos of how to apply clay - like this one

Do keep in mind if clay falls on the ground, you need to throw it away. There are other alternatives to clay bar such as Ultima Elastrofoam block, Optimum Opti Eraser etc that can just be re washed and re used in case of fall.

Other than Collinite there are many newer gen sealants - which are easy to use and remove and also last for quite sometime. Some of the names that come to mind are Reload, UPGP, Optimum car wax etc.

The toughest sealant Ive used till date is Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint sealant 3.0. I suggest you collect sample bottles of the sealants from the sellers and then keep trying as to which gives you a better look. For your blue, Id still suggest reload - you get that glassy look and if the polishing is done right and surface is swirl free nothing beats the look then.

Polishing and paint correction enhances the look upto 90 % - the rest 5% comes from claying the paint prior to polishing and 5% from the LSP (last step product - sealant, wax). I could have uploaded pictures to prove that, but forum rules dont allow that.

Regarding microfiber towels - lots available in the market. I use the 3m and cobra microfiber towels. Both are great. Even Euro microfiber towels sold by BRingingbest.in are vfm.

I use Amway SA8 to maintain the microfiber towels after repeated washes - especially since my total stock of towels are washed almost twice a week. Amway SA8 can be got from any amway seller in your town.

BTW, Im not commercially affiliated with any of the above products.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 2nd December 2013 at 13:12.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:

Parthasarathi has given you the best advice, just to add the ONR as the name implies is Optimum No rinse, which is not detergent based like many other waterless washes. Other options like Blackfire, DP, UWW etc etc waterless washes are also good. Look for an more environmentally friendly product as well, also safe for your skin.

Like the great detailing guru Mike Philips says - "Find a product you like and use it often " Now to find that last step product, you will have to sample a few products to find what suits you.

Since you have a dark color, and especially that beautiful Fiesta Blue with its sharp lines, the prep work matters a lot. Be ready for envious looks and praises when its all done !

And oh yes, please dont forget to post pics for all of us post detailing
Old 3rd December 2013, 14:46   #52
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your expert advice. Especially, thanks to Pedaltothefloor for pointing me to spautopia. I always thought importing from Europe is expensive till I saw this. I have ordered the backing plate that you have suggested.
I remember reading somewhere that Sonax polish is good enough for use on rotary as well. That is why I had planned to use it with the machine. But if you are saying it dries up too fast, I'll get a bottle of Meguiars UP. Cannot risk marring on my new car.
Now coming to pad,
How is the Lake Country blue CCS pad(http://www.greenzcarcare.com/Lake-Co...id-250092.html)
When compared to chemical guys' hex-logic black pad (http://www.petesautomotive.in/index....%285.5+Inch%29)

If both are same, LC works out considerably economical than CG. Your thoughts please..
amazer2013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 15:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazer2013 View Post
If both are same, LC works out considerably economical than CG. Your thoughts please..
Personally, I would go with CG.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Is it a bug with my PC or did this thread just disappear since yesterday afternoon? I was trying to find this thread in the evening to order the right products, and could not find it anywhere!

Anyway, my query was - Meguiar's Ultimate Polish would remove the swirl marks and light scratches permanently right? or will it mask them? Also, how do I stop at the right level while using a polish? What if I over do it and end up removing the clear coat completely?

Also, would the Collinite 845 add a protective layer on top of the clear coat to minimize swirl marks and damages to the clear coat?
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your expert advice. Especially, thanks to
The CG pads are good and work better on a DA. The velcro of the CG pads will donut on a DA once you put pressure on the pad due to the backing plate velcro rubbing against the outermost edge of the pad.

The lake country ones have velcro that reach till the edge and hence they dont donut and cut off when pressure is applied on them via the DA.

With a rotary it wont most likely happen. Except when you need to apply pressure and your pad isnt centred properly.
But both of them are good pads - i use both of those plus the dodo juice hexlogic pads.

Lake country velcro

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_163943.png
Views: 2203
Size:  415.5 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_164000.png
Views: 2171
Size:  371.8 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_164027.png
Views: 2206
Size:  400.7 KB

Dodo Juice / CG / BuffnShine Velcro

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_164046.png
Views: 2203
Size:  451.0 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131203_164104.png
Views: 2232
Size:  351.8 KB

Notice the gap in between the pad edge and velcro. When you press on the machine to get more cut during the polishing, the backing plate velcro will bite into the pad and slowly tear away at the pad. You will soon notice a donut pattern on the outer edge of your pad, and slowly it will break apart as happened to two of my cutting pads.

Thanks to @Pedaltothefloor for starting this thread and providing links to some cool sites with very reasonable shipping prices. Im hooked.

Quote:
Is it a bug with my PC or did this thread just disappear since yesterday afternoon? I was trying to find this thread in the evening to order the right products, and could not find it anywhere!

Anyway, my query was - Meguiar's Ultimate Polish would remove the swirl marks and light scratches permanently right? or will it mask them? Also, how do I stop at the right level while using a polish? What if I over do it and end up removing the clear coat completely?

Also, would the Collinite 845 add a protective layer on top of the clear coat to minimize swirl marks and damages to the clear coat?
Nothing wrong with your pc. Had the same issue last night.

Ultimate polish has very little bite to attack the swirls - however it has fillers which will, to an extent, hide the swirls. You will need a compound to remove the swirls and that too with a machine. Hand polishing will not produce 100% defect removal.

Dont worry you wont marr the paint easily by hand polishing.

Yes Collinite will add a protective layer. Collinite will however attract a lot of dust since its a wax (or a hybrid) and hence you will need to use a duster regularly.

Swirl marks wont happen easily unless you deliberately drag a dirty cloth on the car. Always use clean microfiber towels when cleaning your car - I cannot stress the importance of microfibers enough.

Do not be afraid of damaging the paint by hand polishing. Go ahead and post some pics after you are done. Dont forget to clay. Hope you have a clay lube with you.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 3rd December 2013 at 16:55.
Parthasarathig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
The CG pads are good and work better on a DA. The velcro of the CG pads will donut on a DA once you put pressure on the pad due to the backing plate velcro rubbing against the outermost edge of the pad.

The lake country ones have velcro that reach till the edge and hence they dont donut and cut off when pressure is applied on them via the DA.

With a rotary it wont most likely happen. Except when you need to apply pressure and your pad isnt centred properly.
But both of them are good pads - i use both of those plus the dodo juice hexlogic pads.

Lake country velcro

Attachment 1174071

Attachment 1174072

Attachment 1174074

Dodo Juice / CG / BuffnShine Velcro

Attachment 1174075

Attachment 1174076

Notice the gap in between the pad edge and velcro. When you press on the machine to get more cut during the polishing, the backing plate velcro will bite into the pad and slowly tear away at the pad. You will soon notice a donut pattern on the outer edge of your pad, and slowly it will break apart as happened to two of my cutting pads.
Wow, thanks @Parthasarathig for that superb explanation with pics. I got exactly what you intended me to understand. Since mine is a rotary polisher, like you've rightly said, it shouldn't make much difference. Also, since I'm new to machine polishing, I'll don't intend to apply extra pressure at all. I'll soon order CG hex-logic 5.5 incher. Thanks again.
amazer2013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 17:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your expert advice. Especially, thanks to Pedaltothefloor for pointing me to spautopia.

Amazer - You could have picked up the Scholl pads and a nice Scholl polish from spautopia. You can still order S30 and their orange foam pad in 145 mm. Scholl polishes and pads are one of the most expensive but also one of the best. Since you will work only on your car, even a small 250 ml bottle and 1 pad will last you a couple of years. You can email them and ask to club your order to save on shipping. Also, i have'nt checked the specs of your rotary, please ensure it is M14 thread.

If you dont want to buy scholl pads and polishes, the next best thing i can recommend is CG Hex Pads. I have the entire range of Hex and LC pads and while Hex pads dont compare to scholl pads, they kill LC by a huge margin. I am not a professional detailer or a seller but i am addicted to testing as many detailing products as I can.

Either go with Scholl S30 polish and Orange Foam pad in 145 mm if importing or CG Hex Pad in Black and Meguiars 205 polish. Look no further. And hats off to you man for being a newbie and yet having the courage to import your first backing plate. Most DIY detailing enthusiasts continue to be victims to local sellers who offer limited brands at exhorbitant prices.

I hope somebody starts offering Scholl Concepts products in India at a decent price so that all of us will have access to one of the best brands. Another good brand is Menzerna in polishes but their pads are avoidable. Even Optimum makes fantastic polishes but are expensive in India. If you have trouble sourcing M205, email ECC Bangalore and get a small botte of Optimum Finish Polish.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 3rd December 2013 at 17:25.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 20:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Amazer - You could have picked up the Scholl pads and a nice Scholl polish from spautopia. You can still order S30 and their orange foam pad in 145 mm. Scholl polishes and pads are one of the most expensive but also one of the best. Since you will work only on your car, even a small 250 ml bottle and 1 pad will last you a couple of years. You can email them and ask to club your order to save on shipping. Also, i have'nt checked the specs of your rotary, please ensure it is M14 thread.
Thanks for recommending such good products, saving me from researching and testing those myself. I have already ordered Meg UP.
Moreover, I'll hold myself back from getting top of the line products just yet, for 2 reasons: One due to budget, and another because of the fact that as a newbie, initially I'm sure I'll waste lot of product trying to learn the trick. So I'll use inexpensive products for trial. Once I get reasonable confidence, I'll order more - then probably I'll be able to do justice to my investment.
amazer2013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Shashank - you will need to use a plastic polish. Many big brands have it in their range.

Salt deposits such as these can be removed by a good brands APC. try some on a test spot with a soft brush and ensure that it doesnt dwell too long on the paint and is wiped off quickly.

If the deposits are stubborn, they would need to be removed by a specialist chemical preferably by a professional who is experienced !
Thanks nirmal! Any of these plastic polishes available in India or should I import it ?

The salt deposits aren't as bad as the one on the car in the image. Its more muddy since the owner hadn't cleaned around that area before. Will bear in mind what you've said while trying APC, and post results.
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:46   #60
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Thank you for sharing this thread with us ! It is very well detailed and can be a great source of info to everyone.

I have a query,do you happen to know how to get rid of scratches on the interiors (instrument cluster,HU and ACC module) caused by enthusiastic cleaning ? It appears vibhuti, was wiped dry with much too force and has marred the finish so much, it looks real ugly with so many scratches.

PS: I also have a suggestion,please ignore if the same has already been explained before. Could you include cleaning mineral deposits accumulated around logo's and lettering's ? I believe APC is what is used unless there are others you recommend. This is what I mean (Pic taken from Ultimate detailers' gallery)
Mineral deposits are hard to clean in our conditions as they are accumulated over years at times.
These water spots are TYPE I water spots and are easier to remove usually( except that in india its not as easy)
What can be tried as safest
1. Vinegar- It can dissolve the minerals well if they are mild or even medium

2. Claying: Yes! clay will remove that if it can reach i.e.( which is tricky)
Check this link and you will be surprised what it says about what all clay can remove:
http://www.autofinesse.co.uk/clay-bar/

Read more on this article:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...pots-hand.html

Now APC is NOT the best approach to go on paint unless you will be polishing it also. A tooth brush etc will leave marks for sure.
Try using a 1 inch painters brush and agitate with mild APC( 1:15) and gently run it around the area, as you mentioned its more of dirt, it may even go with water but if does not this can be done, if you wish to try APC finally.

Another way is to take a mild paint polish/cleaner and with the edge of a microfiber rub the areas or with a ear bud which has enough cotton at the bud area.

Many approaches - from least to most aggressive, try the least abrasive one first and if works, why put polish, APC etc etc
Will be nice to hear back on what worked and with some pics as this is surely the most challenging area of detailing in India!

Disclaimer: I am not associated with any brands if they are mentioned in the above posts, these are just for information purpose that they are referenced.

Last edited by mkh : 3rd December 2013 at 22:48.
mkh is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks