Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2014, 20:00   #1
BHPian

XUV500 diagnosed with broken spot welds. Re-weld or replace the frame?

Hi Friends

Been an reader of the forum for a long time now, and finally got my membership approved today, on my third attempt! Its a shame that I am making my first post in a state of distress, but anyway...

I will be happy to provide more details, but to cut a long story short - after over a year of complaining to Mahindra ASS in Gurgaon about a tak-tak noise coming from the front left hand side of the cabin, the problem has finally been diagnosed as broken spot welds on the LHS A Pillar.

This problem has been there pretty much since the beginning - apart from various other rattles/squeaks/creaks - most of which ASS were able to rectify at some point or the other - but this problem took more than a year and finally a visit by someone from Mahindra Pune to get diagnosed.

Now They are asking me to allow them either:
1. Cut the pillar, re-weld the broken spot welds, then weld the pillar back and repaint etc. but no assurance that more welds wont come off in the future.

2. Change the entire frame of the car. for this obviously the whole car needs to be taken apart and then re-assembled at the workshop.

What should I do ? I am totally clueless about this.
kk21 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 18:53   #2
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk21 View Post
1. Cut the pillar, re-weld the broken spot welds, then weld the pillar back and repaint etc. but no assurance that more welds wont come off in the future.

2. Change the entire frame of the car. for this obviously the whole car needs to be taken apart and then re-assembled at the workshop.

Welcome to the community.
I would suggest escalate at highest levels in M&M and ask for a replacement. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. There is no reason why you should settle with a copy whose structural integrity is questionable.

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2014 at 18:13. Reason: As requested :)
SDP is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 20:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Welcome to the community.
I would suggest escalate at highest levels in M&M and ask for a replacement. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. There is no reason why you should settle with a copy whose structural integrity is questionable.
Well I did make a formal complaint with M&M customer care and all I got was some vague replies from "With You Humesha" call center people about how they will get someone to contact me.

Finally someone from M&M Delhi who deals with few dealerships contacted me and reiterated that there is nothing else they could do for me, and was pushing me to chose the first solution. When I said I could still accept the second solution of changing the frame if they do the work at the factory instead of the ASS workshop - he said that is not possible either.

If someone could please provide me with some contact details of someone at M&M, it will be truly helpful. Right now, it seems like they just want me to accept this as my bad luck and move on!

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2014 at 18:14. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 5th June 2014, 20:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Well I did make a formal complaint with M&M customer care and all I got was some vague replies from "With You Humesha" call center people about how they will get someone to contact me.

Finally someone from M&M Delhi who deals with few dealerships contacted me and reiterated that there is nothing else they could do for me, and was pushing me to chose the first solution. When I said I could still accept the second solution of changing the frame if they do the work at the factory instead of the ASS workshop - he said that is not possible either.

If someone could please provide me with some contact details of someone at M&M, it will be truly helpful. Right now, it seems like they just want me to accept this as my bad luck and move on!
Can't send you a pm. Send me your email address. Will help you out with the email addresses and numbers of the powers that be in Mahindra.
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 21:14   #5
BHPian

You better ask for replacement as this is a flaw in very basic structural frame of the vehicle so try push them and push at the right place.
There is one similar sound coming from my vehicle as well i hope this isn't the case with my vehicle.
Do post updates on the same.
Honda Monk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 21:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:

Firstly congratulations on joining team bhp! You are in right hands.

I will suggest to go for option 2 as that would be a long term solution. It would cause inconvenience as the car would be out for few days.
Old 5th June 2014, 22:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I will be happy to provide more details, but to cut a long story short - after over a year of complaining to Mahindra ASS in Gurgaon about a tak-tak noise coming from the front left hand side of the cabin, the problem has finally been diagnosed as broken spot welds on the LHS A Pillar.

This problem has been there pretty much since the beginning - apart from various other rattles/squeaks/creaks - most of which ASS were able to rectify at some point or the other - but this problem took more than a year and finally a visit by someone from Mahindra Pune to get diagnosed.

Hi KK21,

Your problem sounds quite alarming.

Makes me shudder to think what else could Mahindra have missed out on the assembly line if they missed out doing a critical job like carrying out proper welding of the frame?

I have been largely quite satisfied with my XUV but knowing about such issues in other XUV's sets the alarm bells ringing. I would keep my eyes and ears extra open to rattles and unnatural sounds in the cabin.

Good luck and hope your problem is resolved to your satisfaction.

Cheeerzzz
Sisu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 00:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends

Been an reader of the forum for a long time now, and finally got my membership approved today, on my third attempt! Its a shame that I am making my first post in a state of distress, but anyway...

For god sake dont go for any of the options you mentioned. This a REAL issue that mahindra needs to rectify. Tweet to Mr Anand Mahindra explaining this issue. This is a BIG issue and you need to escalate it to big ones.
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 12:12   #9
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Unfortunately you are not going to get any traction at lower levels.
All the information that you need about reaching to the right level is available at XUV's official site. For your easy reference attaching a screenshot:

XUV500 diagnosed with broken spot welds. Re-weld or replace the frame?-mm-email.jpg
SDP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 12:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
I would suggest escalate at highest levels in M&M and ask for a replacement. This is clearly a manufacturing defect. There is no reason why you should settle with a copy that whose structural integerity is questionable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisu View Post
Your problem sounds quite alarming.

Makes me shudder to think what else could Mahindra have missed out on the assembly line if they missed out doing a critical job like carrying out proper welding of the frame?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
For god sake dont go for any of the options you mentioned. This a REAL issue that mahindra needs to rectify. Tweet to Mr Anand Mahindra explaining this issue. This is a BIG issue and you need to escalate it to big ones.
I fully agree with other esteemed members of this community that THIS IS AS SERIOUS AS IT GETS. This needs to be taken up with the top honchos of M&M including Mr. Anand Mahindra personally. If this problem of defective spot welds has been found in your car, there may be many other XUVs (from the same batch of production) with similar problems and they need to be recalled.

One must bear in mind that the XUV does not have a chassis (ladder frame) and strong spot welds are central to the structural integrity of its monocoque body. Failure of spot welds in a heavy monocoque body like that of the XUV could be disastrous.

I would recommend that you ask for the complete replacement of the vehicle.
debuda is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 15:12   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I did Tweet on Mr Anand Mahindra's Twitter handle, the only response I got was from "With you Humesha" Call center, who assured a call back from someone in Authority. No further action yet.

Quote:
Unfortunately you are not going to get any traction at lower levels.
All the information that you need about reaching to the right level is available at XUV's official site. For your easy reference attaching a screenshot:

Attachment 1247523
I just dropped a mail to Mr Sanjoy Gupta as well, hope for some result!
Old 7th June 2014, 00:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did Tweet on Mr Anand Mahindra's Twitter handle, the only response I got was from "With you Humesha" Call center, who assured a call back from someone in Authority. No further action yet.
I am sure you would get a response from them soon. They do look at these things seriously, at least Mr Mahindra does (in my cases).
Old 7th June 2014, 15:41   #13
BHPian

Got an email from Mr Sanjoy Gupta saying he is reviewing the matter, so lets see how it goes. Meanwhile the car remains at the workshop. Been over a week now.
kk21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 12:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

Re: XUV500 diagnosed with broken spot welds. Re-weld or replace the frame?

Moderator's note: This issue is not a niggle hence a dedicated thread has been created.

Thanks,
Team-BHP support
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 12:51   #15
BHPian

Re: XUV500 diagnosed with broken spot welds. Re-weld or replace the frame?

Aah!! The ugly quality control failure on a critical component such as the chassis, raises its head in Mahindra as well. Hope this is an one off case and doesn't go the Tata way.

I'm closely watching Mahindra's progress as I have planned my next car to be a XUV 5oo.

If Mahindra does not replace the car for you with a sincere and profuse apology, my confidence on the brand will be seriously dented. I've decided not to touch Tata cars even with a barge pole for many years to come, I don't want Mahindra to be added to that list.

Hope they are as proactive as they are in recent times and settle the case at the earliest to your satisfaction.
CliffHanger is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks