Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 18:55   #61
BANNED

Re: XUV500 diagnosed with broken spot welds. Re-weld or replace the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This basically means that all along there was some issue with the welding that needed fixing in the newer models.
If such cases come out in public then M&M would need to do a recall or such exercise to prevent troubles.

I am not sure how M&M is thinking they'll sell cars with structural issues and be silent on top.

Is there any method that other XUV 5OO owners can check so that they can be alert?

Anurag.
Old 10th June 2014, 19:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk21 View Post
I feel if this problem is a one off case .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
1. Most likely this is a one-off case.
Well, It could be one off case but only hard part is one would never be able to prove that with data or statistically.
I do agree on the relationship point brought here. Wish you good luck kk21.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
kk21,

I don't know if your XUV is from the initial lot or the Version 2.0 that was launched towards the end of 2013.
My car was delivered in november or december 2012 so it must be the older version.
Old 10th June 2014, 21:03   #64
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This basically means that all along there was some issue with the welding that needed fixing in the newer models.
All car manufactures work towards improving their existing cars.

Is it possible that the "closer welding spots" is part of the "continuous-improvement" process and not a "issue" as you seem to be implying?

If it would have been a issue with quite a few cases reported, I believe M&M would have tried to push it under the carpet (as this is not something that can be "recall"ed). I genuinely doubt that they are crooked enough to showcase a defect-fix as a improvement/feature.

What's your opinion?
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:20   #65
BHPian

Sorry to hear your predicament and hope your issue would be resolved by Mahindra on your terms.

By reading all the issues of XUV on the forum we have decided to cancel my friends booking at India Garage and planning to buy Duster now.

Mahindra - You need to pull up your socks and get this issue sorted so that it doesn't put off customers like us.
Old 10th June 2014, 21:21   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
All car manufactures work towards improving their existing cars.

Is it possible that the "closer welding spots" is part of the "continuous-improvement" process and not a "issue" as you seem to be implying?

If it would have been a issue with quite a few cases reported, I believe M&M would have tried to push it under the carpet (as this is not something that can be "recall"ed). I genuinely doubt that they are crooked enough to showcase a defect-fix as a improvement/feature.

What's your opinion?
True SDP. It could just be a further improvement. And if they did find an issue they would have fixed it without mentioning that the new model had closer welding to prevent people getting suspicious.

It was quite interesting to see an issue with the welding and then remembering this was mentioned as an improvement a few months back hence I thought it maybe due to an issue identified.

I guess only if we know of other cases of welding coming out can we be sure that this was an issue that was fixed recently and not an improvement.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:43   #67
Team-BHP Support

Frankly they should take back the car and strip it to understand what happened and crush it.

There is no point welding the frame unless one know what the reason for the failure was. Changing the frame - be prepared to go back to rsolve rattles, wiring issues etc.

They have sold what is a structurally dangerous vehicle.

They should offer a new vehicle in exchange with some favourable terms - considering you have used the car and need to pay some thing for reasonable wear and tear but they also need to give you a very good deal.
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 21:49   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Sorry to hear your predicament and hope your issue would be resolved by Mahindra on your terms.

By reading all the issues of XUV on the forum we have decided to cancel my friends booking at India Garage and planning to buy Duster now.

Mahindra - You need to pull up your socks and get this issue sorted so that it doesn't put off customers like us.
I am sad to hear your decision, while my problems with XUV are for everyone to read, I still feel XUV is a better option than duster. They have improved the car in V2 already, and the space and power is something you cant ignore.

Mind you, duster is not free of its share of small issues - breaks wearing off before 20000 k's, even duster's interios start rattling, a bit of this and a bit of that - and I know this because two of my cousins own a duster - I have traveled in their car a fair bit to say this.

And so far, with mahindra I am not getting a feeling that I have hit a dead end when things have gone wrong. They are atleast listening to me patiently, but of course I will reserve my judgment on this for later.
kk21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 22:22   #69
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mind you, duster is not free of its share of small issues - breaks wearing off before 20000 k's, even duster's interios start rattling, a bit of this and a bit of that - and I know this because two of my cousins own a duster - I have traveled in their car a fair bit to say this.
Sad to hear about something major cropping up in your vehicle. It sounds very disheartening at first, but given some time and some logical reasoning/assurances even big problems seem to have very simple and long lasting solutions. I've faced a few myself with the used RE Thundrbird that I bought as my first bike and still am riding it and the Duster we have which is my Father's daily drive.

I have personally seen my bike fully disassembled and re-assembled to get a bend fixed and the Duster has a problem which might be attributed to a design/manufacturing fault as a result of which the tires are being eaten up at an alarming rate. This issue with the tires is still open and in Renault's knowledge and that assurance is reason enough for my Dad to swear by his Duster.

For you I would suggest you ask M&M to do a thorough inspection of the welds in random places just to see if other areas of the vehicle are also affected by this lapse in manufacturing.

Secondly, I would also ask you to pressurize them to change the whole shell at the factory or for them to ship the whole shell to the workshop in one piece and get it replaced. But the only problem with that is that in India People pull out 10 screws from a perfectly okay machine to access something and while putting it back, due to inherent lack of perfectionism, only 8 go back into place. Just imagine that happening with the whole vehicle.

Thirdly, spot welding techniques have improved over the years and also the know-how. I would suggest you go and have a look at some of the authorized body shops which repair vehicles involved in crashes (big time crashes). I visited a Renault-Chevrolet body shop and could not believe that vehicles with structural members of the body shell wiped off were also being put back in shape. So just relax and let M&M do their job. But, only if you're sure that other welds in the vehicle are healthy.

PS: Our Duster with 42,000 km on the ODO in 19 months hasn't suffered the premature wearing out of brakes syndrome. They're good till 50,000.
Old 11th June 2014, 00:38   #70
Senior - BHPian

After seeing all these response from other members criticizing initial batch of XUV for being faulty, well let me tell you that its not the case.

I own a W6 Nov 2011 batch and except for regular headlight issues (that even So called upgraded new 2013 owners are dealing with) i never had any other issue. This seems to be a one of the case for sure. This is for sure a issue that M&M needs to look at the earliest. If this is coming from a new batch then it is a BIG issue.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 09:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends

Been an reader of the forum for a long time now, and finally got my membership approved today, on my third attempt! Its a shame that I am making my first post in a state of distress, but anyway...

I will be happy to provide more details, but to cut a long story short - after over a year of complaining to Mahindra ASS in Gurgaon about a tak-tak noise coming from the front left hand side of the cabin, the problem has finally been diagnosed as broken spot welds on the LHS A Pillar.

This problem has been there pretty much since the beginning - apart from various other rattles/squeaks/creaks - most of which ASS were able to rectify at some point or the other - but this problem took more than a year and finally a visit by someone from Mahindra Pune to get diagnosed.

Now They are asking me to allow them either:
1. Cut the pillar, re-weld the broken spot welds, then weld the pillar back and repaint etc. but no assurance that more welds wont come off in the future.

2. Change the entire frame of the car. for this obviously the whole car needs to be taken apart and then re-assembled at the workshop.

What should I do ? I am totally clueless about this.
Sir my advice to you would be to go on twitter and tag Mr Anand Mahindra and Mr Pawan Goenka and express the issue. If it doesn't get addressed, tag this thread to them and to some other publications.

Recently a Mahindra dealership was haressing a local resident because of parking disputes, the dealership would send goons to haress the resident. The person took to twitter and Mr Mahindra asked for it to be taken care of instantly. Hope this helps.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
in our country we have no such thing called as consumer rights or even if we do they rarely work.
I do not fully agree with you here. The Consumer Protection Act 1986 is there to protect the rights of consumers and I have been once able to use it successfully to protect from what I would call 'extortion' bid made by Reliance Telecom.

Yes, the legal course should be the last resort but knowing the law could help us better deal with unscrupulous dealers and manufacturers who shun responsibilities. The Consumer Protection Act 1986 clearly states that (some extracts)

It refers to protection of consumers against anti consumer trade practices by producers/traders.

These anti trade practices include adulteration, sub-standard quality, overcharging, making misleading claims in advertisements, etc.

The consumer has the right to.... and receive compensation for supply of unsatisfactory or shoddy goods.

More information can be fetched from here http://chdslsa.gov.in/index.php?trs=faqs#consumer

I think he should ask for a replacement, it is his right and Mahindra's duty as well to replace it. It is Mahindra who has failed here and provided shoddy product.
jeepster_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 14:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends

What should I do ? I am totally clueless about this.
Neither of the 2 options. Ask for a replacement. Don't go for a compromised solution !

Customer Care, talking to dealers etc. will be of little help. Use social media. Tweet Anand Mahindra (https://twitter.com/anandmahindra), put a strong message in their facebook page.
Old 11th June 2014, 18:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Frankly they should take back the car and strip it to understand what happened and crush it.

There is no point welding the frame unless one know what the reason for the failure was. Changing the frame - be prepared to go back to rsolve rattles, wiring issues etc.

They have sold what is a structurally dangerous vehicle.

They should offer a new vehicle in exchange with some favourable terms - considering you have used the car and need to pay some thing for reasonable wear and tear but they also need to give you a very good deal.
Unless they have already identified spot welding as a problem and hence the change it in the new V2 XUV. If not, they should at-least investigate if this is a one off case of other vehicles could be effected.

Hope someone from Mahindra reads this soon. I just sent an email to them with a link.
Old 12th June 2014, 02:41   #75
BHPian

Re: XUV 500 niggles and their solutions

Quote:
Got an email from Mr Sanjoy Gupta saying he is reviewing the matter, so lets see how it goes. Meanwhile the car remains at the workshop. Been over a week now.
Haven't received any update form Mr Sanjoy Gupta? I think its 4-5 days now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks