Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 17:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
What are the two cooling fans that have together amounted to 21k?
Not to do with cost. Two cooling fans exist in the Honda City. I assume the Amaze will have the same arrangement as well considering both cars run the same engine. There is one large size fan and another smaller one. Both sit right behind the radiator. Sure seems to be a case of replacing them just for the heck of it as there is insurance cover.

Could it be possible that the exhaust sucked in water? This does happen when you go off throttle. From the photograph, I don't see a possibility but you can't rule it out though. Its next to impossible for the air take to pull in water in this case. The exhaust is sitting at a much lower height than the air intake.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 9th October 2014 at 17:06.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 17:26   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Not to do with cost. Two cooling fans exist in the Honda City. I assume the Amaze will have the same arrangement as well considering both cars run the same engine. There is one large size fan and another smaller one. Both sit right behind the radiator.
One fan is for the engine radiator which cools down the engine by blowing air against the radiator while the other fan is for the A/C condenser. I think all air conditioned cars come with similar arrangement.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 18:11   #18
BHPian

My Amaze 2013 july i-dtec had the air suction hose or pipe replaced as a honda recall . After which they have stuck an orange sticker behind my rvm . The SA told me back then that this was done so water would not enter the engine in case of minor flooding .

OT . The car for me in the past one year has been largely problem free .
Not exciting to drive at all , brakes better than my dzire vdi .
Audio system pathetic .
F.E. In the city traffic has dropped to below 16 kmpl .
Engine vibrations and harshness still persist .
Will change to another better car whenever practically possible .
Drove the dzire vdi in one year for 20 k kms and amaze for 2k kms only (I just don't
like it.
This is not what I expected from you Honda after spending 9.47 lacs on road mumbai for i-dtec vxmt .
Ankush .
Mods Sorry if off topic , also I do nt know how to format the page properly , Delete if you feel like it .
anky is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 18:27   #19

Honda is known for their best engine although their quality is compromised in the recent launches(Amaze/City/Mobilio), this is going to seriously dent Honda image.

Lets see how they react to this, at-least they should get this fixed in a neat hassle free manner which will boost the customer confidence.
dkarthikkeyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 18:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quite unethical for Honda to quietly replace the part in newer batches, and conduct a paid repair for such reported cases- for what is clearly a design defect.

Can the owners in the forum check their air intakes to be on the safe side? Hydro locking is very expensive to repair, specially if you crank the car again after it stops.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 20:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quite unethical for Honda to quietly replace the part in newer batches, and conduct a paid repair for such reported cases- for what is clearly a design defect.

Can the owners in the forum check their air intakes to be on the safe side? Hydro locking is very expensive to repair, specially if you crank the car again after it stops.

My diesel Amaze is from the first batch of vehicles manufactured. April 2013. I have done 27000 kms since then and on more than one occasion( latest being yesterday night ) have driven through much deeper water than seen in this pic. I have never faced any issues wrt to hydrolocking. The only issue I faced was ineffective brakes which would need pumping the brake pedal to get back the bite.

Also , Honda recalled all Amazes to replace this particular part

Now what should you do :

1- check the VIN number to see date of manf and check if this vehicle came with the modified part
2- if it's from the batch of vehicles which had the old part , then check if this was replaced later on
3 - if this part wasn't replaced , then it's Honda that has to pay for these repairs and not the insurance company

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
speedsatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 20:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
True. Very sad that this comes from a company which is considered the epitome of reliability and customer satisfaction. Honda sure is taking the Indian market too lightly, they need a wake up call and should start perfecting their cars again. We all love Honda for its engines and now even that is questioned, albeit diesel.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 20:14   #23
Team-BHP Support

Design Flaw in Honda Amaze: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

Since you mention brakes and the car is from initial batch- have you checked if you are affected by this recall?

http://indianexpress.com/article/bus...-faulty-brake/
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My diesel Amaze is from the first batch of vehicles manufactured. April 2013. I have done 27000 kms since then and on more than one occasion( latest being yesterday night ) have driven through much deeper water than seen in this pic. I have never faced any issues wrt to hydrolocking. The only issue I faced was ineffective brakes which would need pumping the brake pedal to get back the bite.

Also , Honda recalled all Amazes to replace this particular part

Now what should you do :

1- check the VIN number to see date of manf and check if this vehicle came with the modified part
2- if it's from the batch of vehicles which had the old part , then check if this was replaced later on
3 - if this part wasn't replaced , then it's Honda that has to pay for these repairs and not the insurance company

We had atleast two owners quoting here that part was not recalled? Along with many online complaints and citations? I think they need to re-asses the number of recalled cars then.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th October 2014 at 20:16.
Old 9th October 2014, 20:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

Design Flaw in Honda Amaze: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

Quote:
Since you mention brakes and the car is from initial batch- have you checked if you are affected by this recall?

We had atleast two owners quoting here that part was not recalled? Along with many online complaints and citations? I think they need to re-asses the number of recalled cars then.

Yeah. This part was replaced as soon as this news was out. Took around 1.5 hours for the complete job.

About the brakes , guess there isn't much you can do. Most vehicles would face the same problem with reduced braking after dRiving through water logged roads

1- maybe these vehicles weren't in the list of recalls or 2- the service centre didn't bother

Quite likely for the 2 no option ,Honda dealers and service are the most useless you can ever encounter. If Honda still manages to sell so many cars , this only speaks volumes about the Honda product

Last edited by speedsatya : 9th October 2014 at 20:38.
Old 9th October 2014, 20:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

I am just surprised howcome your cousin never tried cranking the car again once the engine just died, as I would have definately cranked it again. Now that we know such a problem exists on older Honda diesel models, owners of this forum can avoid damaging the engine further if they are in a similar situation.

But, its high time Honda announces an official recall to solve this problem on existing cars. Dealerships must have made a fortune reparing such cars at the poor owners cost across the country. I am sure a good amount of cars would have had similar issues across the country.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 21:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone post a picture of the intake from their car which has not had the recall done ? And by Intake, I mean the place on the front facia where the air is sucked into the air filter.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 21:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
One of the service advisors at honda who is a friend, told me this when i took my city for service last month, that the earlier batches of honda diesel engine had this serious design flaw, wherein it couldn't wade through even half a foot of water logging. Though this flaw has been rectified in later batches, the company hasn't issued a recall yet and am not sure how is it taking care of the affected batches?
Probably they are doing it during regular service, without telling the customers and media so as to avoid negative publicity. The service centre in which my friend works, alone have rebuilt numerous diesel amaze sedan engines. One rebuilt engine was being mounted onto an amaze on the adjacent service bay, where my car was getting serviced. Another diesel engine was lying in one corner of the workshop.
Does that mean the current batches are fine? Mine is july 2014 City and i am really concerned with all these reports. Any way to be make sure this flaw has been corrected?
Old 9th October 2014, 21:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Does that mean the current batches are fine? Mine is july 2014 City and i am really concerned with all these reports. Any way to be make sure this flaw has been corrected?

Honda would have corrected this in later models for sure. Also , I remember being told this was being replaced with a modified part just as a precautionary measure.

BTW weren't the initial batch of Ecosports also recalled for something similar ?

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos

Quote:

Apologies missed your link on brake problems.

This wasn't applicable to any ABS equipped car. All diesel Amaze 's have ABS as standard

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos

Last edited by Stratos : 11th October 2014 at 15:03.
Old 9th October 2014, 21:35   #29
BHPian

Now this seems to be a serious issue. But how come this issue is getting attention after so long. I mean monsoon is almost over in most part of the country. How come all the Amaze/City diesel owners managed to drive through out the monsoon.

If it happened only in the first batches of cars then how many cars were affected? Of course it's not possible to know until the company comes out with an official notification. But it should be informed to the respective owners and should be replaced through a public recall only instead of secretly doing it without the owners' permissions.

If the whole issue is true and Honda didn't inform the customers about it then this is an unfair act from them and this will definitely dent their image of reliable after sales. Their cars have gone down in terms of quality atleast by a degree and now it seems like their service reliability has gone down as well. Specially if this issue is a mass issue and not an one off incident.

Last edited by Carpainter : 9th October 2014 at 21:36.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 22:23   #30
Senior - BHPian

If the water was no deeper than what is seen in the photo, then someone really needs to take Honda to task. If this were in the US, they would be staring at a class action lawsuit by now. Honda should have taken responsibility for what is evidently an issue on their side, and fixed it free of cost for the customer.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks