Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2014, 23:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

Sorry for asking a not so relevant question. As much as I am happy to know that the insurance covered 70 percent expenses, but I am really curious to know, that on what grounds did the insurance cover the expenses?
29,749.00 was paid to Vision Honda. The rest was covered under insurance. I think insurance covered it under natural calamities. Will check with my cousin and confirm the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
My Amaze 2013 july i-dtec had the air suction hose or pipe replaced as a honda recall. I just don't like it. This is not what I expected from you Honda after spending 9.47 lacs on road mumbai for i-dtec vxmt.
Looks like some lucky ones like you got it done during the soft recall which happened. I guess Honda has failed to change it for all the cars which have this design flaw. My cousin never got any intimation from Honda or the dealer. And really sad to hear that you are not enjoying the car at all. Especially someone who got profile picture dedicated to Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Also , Honda recalled all Amazes to replace this particular part
Clearly, it was a hush hust recall where many cars and customers were left out. Very bad Honda!

Honda has clearly fixed some cars proactively, else we would have seen more cases of such kind as water logging is so prevalent in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
I am just surprised howcome your cousin never tried cranking the car again once the engine just died, as I would have definately cranked it again.
The car didn't stop that smoothly, it knocked for a while and then stuttered to a stop. Some damage was done already. But he had the presence of mind to not crank it afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Quite unethical for Honda to quietly replace the part in newer batches, and conduct a paid repair for such reported cases- for what is clearly a design defect.
+1. As a manufacturer with so much goodwill built on effort over the years, they should have proactively issued a proper recall to fix this. The dealers are minting money from unsuspecting customers who are ruing their bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Honda would have corrected this in later models for sure. Also , I remember being told this was being replaced with a modified part just as a precautionary measure.

BTW weren't the initial batch of Ecosports also recalled for something similar?
It would have been great if someone had put up a thread to warn others. Unfortunately, this 'soft recall' is news for a large majority here.

Ford did an awesome job to recall the EcoSport right after the launch to relocate the glow plug control module to a higher location. Our thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...el-recall.html

They were brave, confident, trustworthy, thorough and very responsible with that recall. All the things which really can't describe Honda at the moment sadly.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th October 2014, 23:39   #32

re: Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

I knew it. The Amaze had hydro static locking issues and it's not restricted to oil burners. While the air intake in the Brio is on the top, in the Amaze it's too low.

Very disappointing to see that Honda did not even do such basic QA check before launching the car.

But what has really made me pull my hair in utter frustration is that knowing all this, I still bought an Amaze. I just overlooked the issue at the time of buying the car. I even mentioned this hydro locking issue to the sales guys there and they were able to fool me into overlooking it.

Now I have to put a big sticker inside of windshield "Prone to hydrostatic locking" reminding me every time to stay away even from taking slightest risk.

Will be good if someone please confirm if this Hydrostatic locking can happen even if car's engine is switched off?

Are there any precautions to be taken while giving the car for wash or even while throwing a jet of water to clean the engine bay?

The more notorious issue of Grand i10 battery leakage was never acknowledged by Hyuandai. But, it was there.
I feel car forums (like Team-BHP, Carwale and others) connect with people directly and hence should play a more responsible role by bringing such serious defects to the knowledge of companys' senior most officials and make them accountable.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th October 2014 at 12:51. Reason: Typos, grammar
Old 10th October 2014, 01:03   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshul26 View Post
Will be good if someone please confirm if this Hydrostatic locking can happen even if car's engine is switched off?

I mean any precautions to be taken while giving the car for car wash. Or even while throwing a jet of water to clean the engine bay.

No. It should not cause any issues till the car gets submerged. This is not the case with engine running- since the air gets sucked in.

However, as a general rule- I wouldn't let my car wash guys spray water jet inside the engine bay for any of the modern cars that are so dependant on electronics.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 01:05   #34
BHPian

Such threads should be made a sticky thread(for a good amount of time) to ensure that maximum number of owners are made aware about their faulty car and improper trade practices of manufacturers like Honda are exposed to the fullest.
iron.head is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 06:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

BHP being BHP it is pretty high on the top of hits when searching for Honda amaze
Old 10th October 2014, 07:07   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Luckily, he didn't crank the car after the engine died and rang Honda RSA.
Didnt he purchase RSA at the time of delivery? Looks like Honda charged INR 1500 for the rescue as well!

Any idea which part required lathing? For INR 7000? And why have the included LHS headlamp and a/c gas recharging?
Old 10th October 2014, 07:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I think all air conditioned cars come with similar arrangement.
No really. The car that I last remember with a similar arrangement or dual fan was the old jelly bean shaped Suzuki Zen. The second fan which was a smaller one started up only when you used air conditioning.

The Zest has two cooling fans.

Most cars right up to the C2 segment have a single fan arrangement.

On a different note, I do recall the air intake plumbing for my Ikon going into the front wheel well. I believe the arrangement is similar on the Figo too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th October 2014 at 07:39.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 07:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I knew it. Amaze had hydro static locking issues and it's not restricted to oil burners.
While air intake in Brio is on the top but in Amaze it's too low.
Very disappointing to see Honda did even do such basic QA check before launching the car.
This prompted me to open the hood of my petrol Amaze and check the air intake. If I am seeing it correctly, it is also on top, similar to the Brio, nearly level with the headlights.

Given the severity of the issue, it should have been handled better with an official announcement, similar to the brake recall done earlier. Without an official recall policy in place, too many manufacturers take the easy way to quietly changing affected parts, sometimes even without informing the owners.
tiger_stripes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 08:41   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

If the owners can post the photos are the original and modified Air Intake in amaze diesel engines then it will be useful for the members and guests visiting this thread.

This silent recall and replace is very bad on the part of Honda. And the HASS making hay because of design issue reeks of lack of any ethics whatsoever .
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 10:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_stripes View Post
This prompted me to open the hood of my petrol Amaze and check the air intake. If I am seeing it correctly, it is also on top, similar to the Brio, nearly level with the headlights.

Thanks for update.

What I was referring to was from TBHP official review of Amaze:

"Unlike its diesel sibling, the petrol's hood only gets partially covered with insulating material. The air intake plumbing we saw on the Brio (link) is missing. We hope it makes it to customer cars, else the engine is effectively sucking in hotter air (refer to 1st picture of the 1.2L petrol above):

Brio Air Intake:

Amaze:
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Hond...zesedan-09.jpg

I found 2 more detailed pics of engine bay of Diesel and Petrol Amaze. Not very clear from the pics, but Air intake looks different. I will have to check physically.

Source: MotorBeam

Amaze Petrol:

Amaze Diesel:

http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/...aze-Diesel.jpg
anshul26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 10:23   #41
BHPian

Looks like Honda has joined a long list of manufacturers belting out step motherly treatment to India.

Sure all cars have one problem or the other but the way they have handled it is worrying. They could have built more customer trust and increased brand value had they just advertised this issue as a non Critical one and asked customers to get it rectified in the next service before the monsoons. Probably at the same time as when they corrected the problem with 2014 vehicles.

The auto regulator / govt. should set up a customer complaint cell to gather public feedback about auto manufacturers and act against them if required. While this may not help customers immediately, atleast the companies will stop taking Indian customers for granted and over a period of time quality and service will improve.
charanreddy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 10:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
... Any idea which part required lathing? For INR 7000? And why have the included LHS headlamp and a/c gas recharging?
Don't know about other things, but A/C gas recharge would be needed if engine had to be removed from car. Part of A/C plumbing has to be removed to take out the engine.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 12:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Honda Amaze issues http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156359

Let's use this thread to list down all the issues for the Amaze

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 10th October 2014, 12:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I knew it. Amaze had hydro static locking issues and it's not restricted to oil burners.
While air intake in Brio is on the top but in Amaze it's too low.
Very disappointing to see Honda did even do such basic QA check before launching the car.

But what has really makes me pull my hairs in utter frustration is that knowing all this, I still bought Amaze. I just overlooked the issue at the time of buying the car.
I even mentioned this hydro locking issue to the sales guys there and they were able to fool me to overlook it.

Now I am have to put a big sticker inside of windshield "Prone to hydrostatic locking" reminding me every time to stay away even from taking slightest of risk.

I mean any precautions to be taken while giving the car for car wash. Or even while throwing a jet of water to clean the engine bay.

The more notorious issue of Grand i10 battery leakage was never acknowledged by Hyuandai. But it was there.
I feel car forum's(like team bhp,carwale and other) connect with people directly and hence should play more responsible role by bringing such serious defects to the knowledge of company's senior most officials and make them accountable.
Amaze Hydro lock is something new to me. It actually makes me think about the tall claims made by OEMs of testing their for hundred thousand kilometers across the continents. Are they claims fake... I never expected this from Honda. Really feel sorry for the car owners, who's brand new cars had to go through complete engine dismantling process.
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2014, 20:10   #45
BHPian

It is so unfortunate to see Honda doing this to the Indian market. It is time the Government of India intervenes & takes strict action against these Companies. Once one Manufacturer is punished severely, others will learn a lesson & will fear doing anything like this.
Did your Cousin ever thought of approaching the Consumer Forum? I think he should, going by the number of verdicts which are going in favor of the complainants these days.
AstaAddict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks