Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2017, 21:00   #91
BHPian

Re: Ertiga, Dzire & Swift: Gearbox Synchronizer Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
is this a common occurrence in sx4 diesel as well?
This is also common issue within Sx4 (Diesel). I got them replaced under warranty. I know few other Sx4 owners who also had the same issue.
Old 7th April 2017, 09:18   #92
BHPian

@amit punjani.
How was your experience post replacement? Does it work fine? Asking you cause am almost finalising a sx4 diesel purchase so would love to hear from actual owners their views.
Regards,
Manoj.
Old 7th April 2017, 09:32   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@amit punjani.
How was your experience post replacement? Does it work fine? Asking you cause am almost finalising a sx4 diesel purchase so would love to hear from actual owners their views.
Regards,
Manoj.
Manoj, Post replacement there are no problems that one will encounter as long as he workmanship during replacement of these Sync rings is handled professionally.

I have clocked around 23,000 Kms now after these rings were replaced in my Ertiga and have not faced recurring issues again.

However, I have also heard of cases where these rings (replaced ones) give up again after few years/kms while in many cases, it has never resurfaced again.

Since my running is quite higher than usual, I am sure I will know if the issue resurfaces sooner.

But otherwise, post replacement will not have any issues.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2017, 09:46   #94
BHPian

Quote:
@amit punjani.
Regards,
Manoj.
Manoj,

Just a go ahead, even I had this glitch that how will the car perform post replacement, but its all working fine (touchwood). Post replacement I have clocked around +30,000 km.

Its a fabulous car!

Wishing you happy miles crunching!

Amit
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 20:41   #95
BHPian

This thread really is astonishing.

I too have a 2011 SWIFT ZDI, now run 72000 KMS, and have never faced any gear shift problems, except for a known SWIFT trait of not being to shift to Reverse smoothly, especially when engine is cold. Yet this problem happens 1 in 200 or shift attempts. Have serviced only at ASS so far.

One major complaint in my car was the leakage of Clutch Cylinder which ruined my otherwise OK clutch disk at around 50000 Kms. Had to replace the Clutch Cylinder and Clutch. Labour was done under extended warranty as also the C Cylinder. Had to pay for the Clutch Disk, which had at least 25000 KMs life left.

My close friend too has a 2013 VDI, which is not well cared for, with no gearshift/synchro issues. It has clocked more than 98000Kms.

Few other friends and relatives too own Swift, Dzires etc with absolutely no gearbox issues.

Intriguing.

I do agree that the Service costs of Maruti are now very high and not reasonable, especially since they are not selling Luxury cars. Spare cost and longevity too is not exemplary.

The Works Manager at the ASS where I service my car, says that the AMT of Celerio is of a faulty design and causes problems. But Ertiga, Swift, Dzire etc, I have never heard of gearbox issues.

I think Maruti is taking customers for granted...

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2017 at 09:34. Reason: Small language tweaks
Old 15th April 2017, 09:30   #96
BHPian

Yes Maruti seems to be getting costly day by day, in some cases cost of labour is more then cost of part.

Last edited by scorpian : 15th April 2017 at 09:32.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:31   #97
Senior - BHPian

My friend's Ciaz had issues in downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear and upon showing at Maruti A.S.S. (Chowgule), they have agreed to replace sync rings under warranty. Friend's Ciaz has done 58,500 kms in close to 3 years.

Was under the impression that this issue would not occur in Ciaz, has any other Ciaz owner faced this issue?
Old 13th September 2017, 09:38   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Was under the impression that this issue would not occur in Ciaz, has any other Ciaz owner faced this issue?
Yes! Ciaz Diesel is also a victim. A friend got the rings replaced when Odo was around 70k and under extended warranty.

So essentially it's a Maruti Diesel issue now. Almost all cars.

Mine happened at 97,000 and now at 131,000 it hasn't recurred although there are also incidents of this recurring again while many confirm it's never happened again.
Old 17th October 2017, 14:39   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

Brezza and Ciaz are the latest cars but I have not heard about this from Ciaz owners that I know who have crossed 50,000 kms already.
This problem has not been resolved in Brezza.
Not surprising as Ertiga & Brezza share the same Gear Box, Not to mention the same engine & bhp rating.
I own a May 2016 first batch Brezza Zdi.
Had the same gear slotting problem especially while shifting from 4th to 3rd & also 3rd to 2nd gears.

I got a sychroniser rings, clutch assembly & flywheel replaced Free of cost including labour.
Only had to pay for the clutch fluid.
This was done in August 2017.
Clutch & Flywheel is usually not covered, But a little bit of friendly rapport with the Service Advisor helps
GSMINC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 14:50   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
This problem has not been resolved in Brezza.
Not surprising as Ertiga & Brezza share the same Gear Box, Not to mention the same engine & bhp rating.
I own a May 2016 first batch Brezza Zdi.
Had the same gear slotting problem especially while shifting from 4th to 3rd & also 3rd to 2nd gears.
I missed updating here that it seems this has affected all DDiS cars from their stable.

I know a Ciaz too where these rings were replaced at 70,000 Kms under extended warranty.
Old 17th October 2017, 14:56   #101
BHPian

The basic problem seems to be Maruti's constant efforts to cut cost which have a direct bearing on the quality of parts.
For eg: My old swift fog lamps each costed around ₹2500-3000, it worked well for almost 7 years.
My one year old Brezza has Fog lamps each costing just ₹800,
Fog lamps cracking in Brezza is a common problem, I've had it replaced FOC twice & it's working fine only after they channged the vendor or parts quality
Old 19th October 2017, 21:34   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a very common problem in SX4 1.3 diesel. Lower gear synchronisers were changed 3 times in my car. Odo is around 1.2 lakhs km now. It's been only 2000 km since the change and I am not able to slot into 2nd gear again . It's been only 4 months since it was changed and I asked the manager if there would be warranty. He said there is no warranty for replaced parts . I believe it was there before. Can anybody confirm?
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:21   #103
Senior - BHPian

This synchronizer issue is recurring problem and though they make it sound like a low cost afair, in reality it will bite you in future.

Basically most owners might see this issue within first four years and get the replacement under warranty. But along with these synchronizer rings they insist on replacing clutch too, obviously clutch takes a beating because of slotting issue

Now imagine the same once we are out of warranty. This process would easily cost us around 10-15k ( still the cost of ownership is cheaper compared to VW)

In my case got the repair done under warranty but the SA messed up my clutch and again I faced judder issue in just 15k kms. This time was out of warranty and spent 10k from my pocket. Now if these rings go kaput again I will need to spend on clutch

Maruti are you listening?
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:59   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Now imagine the same once we are out of warranty.
I didn't have to imagine and it happened with me, at 97,000 kms on the ODO and I spent a good amount I would say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
  • Synchronizer rings - 2 Nos (1<->2 Gears, 2<->3 Gears) - 1449/- *2
  • Flywheel - 1751/-
  • Clutch Plate - 1600/-
  • Clutch Plate cover assembly - 1096/-
  • Clutch slave cylinder - 2739/-
  • Oil Seals & Gaskets - 500/-
  • Brake Fluid - 327/-
  • Gear/Transmission Oil - 887/-
The major labor charges:
  • Unmount/Mount the gearbox - 1350/-
  • Replacing the Sync Rings in the Gearbox - 2200/-
Today the ODO is 145,000 Kms (thats 48,000 kms after replacement) and I have no hints of recurrence. Fingers crossed.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 15:12   #105
BHPian

My VDi has run 59K km. Of late I am facing issues slotting to 1st gear from 2nd gear at very low speeds. Could this be the synchronizer ring issue? I dont see 3rd to 2nd gear slotting problem.

I am also feeling the clutch is hard and getting slight leg pain in city driving. Any advice on what parts should be replaced will be helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks