Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 18:28   #16
bhp
BHPian

Re: Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Hi folks,

Need some advise from BMW owners. If you have taken the BSI plus + Repair package does that mean there is no service cost for 6 years (assuming you dont get into an accident). What about the following would they be covered:

- I have read BMW 3 series windshield is prone to cracking
- What about suspension overhaul
- Run Flat tyres - side wall puncture ?

Any other ?

Thanks
If you opt for BSI Ultimate. All consumables, wear-n-tear parts are covered.
Windshield and RFT can be covered by your insurance.
Old 30th October 2015, 09:35   #17
BHPian

Re: Attached: BMW's full BSI & extended warranty price list (up to 10 years / 200,000 kms)

BSI Ultimate has been discontinued and is no longer available. Instead you have BSI plus + Repairs. Repairs are available for a max of 6 years. But not sure if wear and tear and other items i mentioned above are covered
Old 30th October 2015, 09:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Apart from Tyres and any accidental damages everything else including wear & tear parts are covered in BSI / extended / regular warranty . If you have only BSI and not extended warranty then only consumables / other regular service jobs will be covered . Windshields are usually very strong as they use Double laminated ones for Diesel , not aware about issues on 3 series though . If some rubber / weather strip is damaged due to weathering or regular usage , complete screens can be replaced under warranty else it has to be an insurance claim

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th October 2015 at 09:47.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 19:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Have booked an X3 30d M sport and expecting delivery in the coming week. I was looking at the BSI packs and am a bit confused as this will be my first BMW.

My annual expected mileage is about 10,000kms. I expect to retain the car for 5 years minimum. My usage pattern will be about 90% highway running and only 10% city. Of the 90% highway running, about 75% will be smooth NH running. Given this kind of usage, what do think will be my average service interval as decided by the on board computer with some amount of spirited driving, of course.

BSI and BSI Plus packs are currently available. BSI Plus covers brake pads, discs, clutch and wipers in addition to standard oil, filters, spark plugs and labour covered in standard BSI.
Dealer is quoting an insane 4.82L for 5 yr/60k kms BSI Plus pack.

Is it true that you cannot buy extended warranty without buying any BSI pack? I am actually more interested in the extended warranty. BSI does not cover any major items.

What will be the average cost of servicing a 30d, say a service which involves brake pad and disc replacement and a service without these items. Even it comes to 50K p.a for the next five years, a BSI Plus pack makes no sense. Heck, the interest cost of paying 4.82L upfront will easily come to about 40k p.a!!!

One can't live without extended warranty on these things so I am looking at a BSI + Extended warranty for 5 yr/ 60k. I am not clear on the pricing for this yet, but feel it will easily cross 3.00 Lakhs.
Old 27th December 2015, 19:22   #20
Team-BHP Support

Personally I'd go with 5 years 60k BSI along with secure for COMPLETE peace of mind. Bear in mind Secure is an annual cost though and also increases per year. I read in one of the bimmer posts that BSI is not necessarily cheaper but personally I'd still go for it. Prefer the ace of mind. Plus up front it just gets capitalised if that has any advantage for you.
Old 27th December 2015, 19:39   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Personally I'd go with 5 years 60k BSI along with secure for COMPLETE peace of mind. Bear in mind Secure is an annual cost though and also increases per year. I read in one of the bimmer posts that BSI is not necessarily cheaper but personally I'd still go for it. Prefer the ace of mind. Plus up front it just gets capitalised if that has any advantage for you.
Peace of mind with BSI is overrated at these prices. What gives us peace of mind is extended warranty that covers the entire car and insures us from failure of components like say the aircon, or the engine, or the transmission - potential danger areas that could cost a bomb to fix.

BSI packs just cover routine things like engine oil, filters and stuff cost of which are predictable and manageable.

Capitalisation just gives us depreciation benefit. But regular service costs will be revenue in nature and can be fully written off in the given year.
Old 27th December 2015, 19:51   #22
Team-BHP Support

Santosh extended warranty is very much available separately, I would say take only that. For your usage BSI at that price is just not worth it. I made a similar decision with my car, we are yet to pick up the extended warranty though.

For example the oil change service for my car (microfilter a.k.a cabin filter was not changed) came to 18k including alignment which was 3k itself.

With highway usage I would think your service intervals would come in between 8-10k. Mine have been coming in at about 7.5k with only city usage and a heavy right foot.

Doing the math it just doesn't seem worth it. The prices a few years ago were great and totally worth it, but now its far too much.

Secure is another useless thing, which just adds to the cost. Its pretty much like zero dep insurance. The company guys market it, saying it covers wheels and tyres, but in fact if a tyre needs replacement you end up paying on a pro rata basis depending on tread depth. If your car has an accident and insurance and secure are used, the year after your premiums for both the insurance and secure go up (secure prices go up a LOT after the first year).
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 20:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Is it true that you cannot buy extended warranty without buying any BSI pack? I am actually more interested in the extended warranty. BSI does not cover any major items.
You can very well buy extended warranty which is called "Repair Inclusive - RI" and you are not compelled to buy any BSI pack. I will still suggest you to get the 5 years/60,000 kms extended warranty and 3 year/40,000 kms BSI plus pack for peace of mind, you can extend the pack later if you want.

I paid 1.16L for 3 year/40k kms BSI plus and another 95k for the 5 year extended warranty (RI) for my 320D. This 1.16L covers me for guaranteed 3 services or even 4 which costs anywhere between 21-24k, atleast 2 set of wiper blades which cost a bomb, a set of front brake pads, a set of rear brake pads and brake fluid change during 3rd year. When i enquired, the pads for 320D cost around 20-21k without sensor or labour. All these parts clubbed together with would cost well over 1.16L for BSI plus. Have made the one time payment and do not have to worry about frequent payments or drive like a sheep fearing that i will wear my pads soon.

I have a sedate driving style in city and aggressive on the highway, love giving sports mode bursts wherever i find space, the CBS when i bought my car was showing 12000 kms for oil change and with 3000 kms completed now, it is only showing 7000 more to go so it has dropped to 10k and would further drop down , front brake pads are showing 42k and rear are already at 40k.

We all buy these cars to drive them hard and with BSI, you do not have to worry about anything. For me personally, driving this car without BSI, i would be much more cautious with the use of brakes etc knowing the pads cost well over 20k.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 20:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

I have a question.

My car was bought with 5 years warranty, 5 years service, 5 years Plus.

If I want to upgrade to 10 years service, 10 years Plus, what am I expected to pay?

1) (Current cost of 10 years service + 10 years Plus) - (Current cost of 5 years service + 5 years Plus)
OR
2) (Current cost of 10 years service + 10 years Plus) - Amount that I already paid (At a cheaper price 2 years ago)
Old 27th December 2015, 21:38   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My car was bought with 5 years warranty, 5 years service, 5 years Plus.
I think you might have some different name on maintenance pack that you bought 5 years back - it used to be called BSI - Ultimate or something like that, there is no option to get 10 Year warranty so you can opt for a th Year warranty + 10 Year maintenance pack. Most likely your BMW dealership will send your VIN to BMW and let you know what all options are available but if you have a package that is same as they sell today then this is what you will have to pay

1) (Current cost of 10 years service + 10 years Plus) - (Current cost of 5 years service + 5 years Plus)

even if they send your VIN to Germany, it should be on same lines -these guys are very honest - I got similar 10 year service pack for my X6 last year.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th December 2015 at 21:41.
Old 27th December 2015, 21:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Santosh extended warranty is very much available separately, I would say take only that.
Need to check that with the dealer as the BMW India website states otherwise. Quoting from the website "BMW Extended Warranty extends your statutory right to claim for vehicle defects, meaning that you can submit claims even after the initial period of 24 months. If repairs are necessary within the agreed duration/mileage, the costs are covered. BMW Extended Warranty can be combined with all BMW Service Inclusive packages. It cannot be ordered separately."

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Doing the math it just doesn't seem worth it. The prices a few years ago were great and totally worth it, but now its far too much.
Yes Akshay, I concur, it does not make sense financially and all the advantage lies with BMW. If they allow us to buy just the EW, I guess it makes sense to do it just before expiry of standard warranty. Don't think there is scope to revise prices upwards much from the present base and why block the funds for two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
You can very well buy extended warranty which is called "Repair Inclusive - RI" and you are not compelled to buy any BSI pack. I will still suggest you to get the 5 years/60,000 kms extended warranty and 3 year/40,000 kms BSI plus pack for peace of mind, you can extend the pack later if you want.
What's the point of peace of mind when you have already paid upfront? OK, extended warranty is like an umbrella that covers us from a contingent event that may or may not happen. Kind of like insurance and that gives us comfort, agreed. But the BSI packs in their present form just make us pay in advance to BMW for almost the max amount of consumables that our car may or may not consume in that period.

Quote:
I paid 1.16L for 3 year/40k kms BSI plus and another 95k for the 5 year extended warranty (RI) for my 320D. This 1.16L covers me for guaranteed 3 services or even 4 which costs anywhere between 21-24k, atleast 2 set of wiper blades which cost a bomb, a set of front brake pads, a set of rear brake pads and brake fluid change during 3rd year. When i enquired, the pads for 320D cost around 20-21k without sensor or labour. All these parts clubbed together with would cost well over 1.16L for BSI plus. Have made the one time payment and do not have to worry about frequent payments or drive like a sheep fearing that i will wear my pads soon.
You need to factor interest of about 8% p.a on 1.16L into your calculations and that comes to about 30K over three years. So your cost is about 1.45L. If you service your car three times I doubt it will cost you 48K per service.

I see it the other way, for a person who maintains his car well and understands the machine and drives it the way it was designed to, there is no incentive to do that when you go for BSI.

Quote:
I have a sedate driving style in city and aggressive on the highway, love giving sports mode bursts wherever i find space, the CBS when i bought my car was showing 12000 kms for oil change and with 3000 kms completed now, it is only showing 7000 more to go so it has dropped to 10k and would further drop down , front brake pads are showing 42k and rear are already at 40k.

We all buy these cars to drive them hard and with BSI, you do not have to worry about anything. For me personally, driving this car without BSI, i would be much more cautious with the use of brakes etc knowing the pads cost well over 20k.
Come on you've paid a huge sum to buy the car itself. Don't drive it differently just because you are worried about wearing out brake pads! By paying for BSI upfront you only are funding those brake pads that you are burning up, not BMW.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 27th December 2015 at 21:51.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 23:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
What's the point of peace of mind when you have already paid upfront? OK, extended warranty is like an umbrella that covers us from a contingent event that may or may not happen. Kind of like insurance and that gives us comfort, agreed.
To each his own i would say, if you are not comfortable paying the money upfront, then you can very well avoid BSI packs and go for extended warranty alone. I found it better to make 1 big upfront payment than making many more smaller payments.

Quote:
You need to factor interest of about 8% p.a on 1.16L into your calculations and that comes to about 30K over three years. So your cost is about 1.45L. If you service your car three times I doubt it will cost you 48K per service
Never thought about the interest perspective, we really do not store each and every penny we have in banks or FD's. I was talking about 3 oil change services, front + rear brake pad change, brake fluid change, wiper changes etc and if the discs go thin or wear out causing judder/shudder, then even those are changed. At the end of 3 years, if the cost incurred to BMW is 1.4L, i would not be sad about it.

IIRC, Akshay's e90 had brake shudder problem at 20-22k kms and the discs+pads were replaced under BSI. These things would not be covered under extended warranty citing wear n tear, if you have service pack, then you can push bmw to replace the defective rotors. Extended warranty covers suspension, engine, transmission etc but brakes are not covered, this being my first big german, did not want to take a chance, had the same dreaded brake shudder in my Vento and it is irritating/unsafe + german cars are not the most reliable.

Quote:
Come on you've paid a huge sum to buy the car itself. Don't drive it differently just because you are worried about wearing out brake pads! By paying for BSI upfront you only are funding those brake pads that you are burning up, not BMW.
, as you say i have already funded for those pads+discs and do not care if they wear out at 25k or 30k. I can drive as i want, this being my first big german, i wanted to ensure peace atleast till 3 years. If you think you can manage, just get the 5-6 years extended warranty.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 27th December 2015 at 23:02.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 21:38   #28
BHPian

I have taken 5 year Repair Inclusive (extended warranty) with 5 year/60,000 km BMI Plus for my 3GT. What I would have liked is BMI plus for 10 years/1,00,000 km (code BM07), as I would like to keep the car for a long haul. However, the Pune dealer does not offer the package. They offer 10 years/2,00,000 km. It costs nearly Rs 9,00,000 and I don't see how the car would consistently run 10,000 km each year - particularly once it begins to age post 5 years.

Would someone know of any dealer who offers DM07 BSI plus package for 10 years/1,00,000 km, so that I may upgrade my BSI pack.
Old 5th January 2016, 21:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I have taken 5 year Repair Inclusive (extended warranty) with 5 year/60,000 km BMI Plus for my 3GT. What I would have liked is BMI plus for 10 years/1,00,000 km (code BM07), as I would like to keep the car for a long haul. However, the Pune dealer does not offer the package. They offer 10 years/2,00,000 km. It costs nearly Rs 9,00,000 and I don't see how the car would consistently run 10,000 km each year - particularly once it begins to age post 5 years.

Would someone know of any dealer who offers DM07 BSI plus package for 10 years/1,00,000 km, so that I may upgrade my BSI pack.
These packages are done through BMW themselves. Its best to shoot them an email to get it sorted out.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

This is great news. I have a 5 year/60k kms pack and it definitely allows me to enjoy my car more throughly, financial logic not withstanding. I am pleased to see them introduce 10 year packs and can now definitely take a look at keeping the car for longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks