Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 12:43   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta DCT Automatic: Gearbox woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Just curious ,is it the same with the Mercedes dual clutch tranny too?
Yes, even they are prone to problems. A close friends A Class, had its DCT replaced under warranty.
Old 15th April 2016, 21:17   #32
BHPian

Guys at one of ford dealerships fiesta titanium+ 2011 automatic model is up for sale. The car was used as demo vehicle and has clocked 30,000 kms on odo. No part is repainted yet some scratches are there on bumpers. The interiors are not well managed but aren't too bad at the sametime. Leather seats are still looking good without much sign of wear and tear. Tyres seems to be new and spare tire is not used at all. The key fob is broken i.e. the key doesn't hold on when folded. No warranty is being offered in any way from the dealer. Don't know (as of now) whether the car has been serviced or maintained as per maintenance schedule as it was used as demo vehicle. The car still has a temporary number and will be registered in the buyers name as first buyer. The dealer is asking for 5 lakhs which will include insurance. I will have to pay the registration charges.

Now here is the proposition: I am thinking of selling my wife's TDCI ford figo March 2011 model which had done 37K. I will fetch between 3 to 3.5 lakhs from the sale and buy this fiesta by pooling in the extra 1.5 to 2 lakhs.

What I will get: a big bigger car with safety features but is it worth taking a gamble for an obsolete model and that too a demo car?

Need your inputs please.
Old 15th April 2016, 22:11   #33
Team-BHP Support

A five year old demo, discontinued, sales dud car = Too big a risk.

Keep your eyes open, I am sure you will get better deals at the likes of carwale, OLX etc.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 08:20   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post

Now here is the proposition: I am thinking of selling my wife's TDCI ford figo March 2011 model which had done 37K. I will fetch between 3 to 3.5 lakhs from the sale and buy this fiesta by pooling in the extra 1.5 to 2 lakhs.

What I will get: a big bigger car with safety features but is it worth taking a gamble for an obsolete model and that too a demo car?

Need your inputs please.
A little too risky. The car has not been officially available for almost 2.5 years now. So for the last 2 years you cannot be sure how or for what it has been used. And with no warranties, pretty clear the dealer also expects issues to crop up. Being a demo car, would have definitely been abused to the max.

Having said that, may be you can try to pull out the service history from another service center and/or get it inspected just to cover all bases. Since pretty much all components are shared with the Ecosport, maintenance and parts availability will not be a challenge if every thing is in order to begin with. doubt if you will get a positive report, but would be good to cover all scenarios. After all this is a lovely car that will be next to impossible to get.

Also, regarding drivability, the fiesta DCT does not have the manual mode available in the implementations in the Ecosport, Aspire and Figo.
Old 16th April 2016, 09:25   #35
BHPian

Thanks rajeevraj. Would getter car service history checked and then evaluate.
Old 23rd September 2016, 10:23   #36
BHPian

I did my 3rd year service of my Ecosport AT at ~26K kms in May, and the following was mentioned in my final bill.

Warranty
1 FSA14M01AA
Clutch shudder less than 250 rpm NO visible transmission oil leak at Deal Clutch Assembly

2 FSA14M01AA
Clutch shudder is 250-550 rpm with visible transmission oil leak at Deal Clutch Assembly

I failed to notice this while taking delivery so did not get a chance to talk to the SA.

Anybody have an idea what these means? Has it anything to do with the DCT issues that is being reported?

My car has been reliable till now, but if I have to nitpick there has been instances of jerks while shifting gears and a some scary occasions where the engine continues to accelerate even after I let go the pedal resulting in me requiring to hit the brake.
Old 23rd September 2016, 11:03   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I did my 3rd year service of my Ecosport AT at ~26K kms in May, and the following was mentioned in my final bill.
FSA14M01AA
Has it anything to do with the DCT issues that is being reported?
The code FSA14M01AA code stands for Ford's Field Service Action (FSA) number 14M01. FSA 14M01 deals with clutch shudder issues in the DPS6 transmission (i.e. the 6-speed PowerShift transmission in your EcoSport). The AA at the end is a modifier - I don't know what AA itself means, but I've seen other codes like S5, which stands for supplement #5 to the FSA.

From what I've gathered on the Internet, they have performed two tests to check for clutch shudder as part of your service. Was there a pass/fail mentioned on the bill for those 2 lines?

Take a look at this advisory filed in the US referring to FSA 14M01: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...74653-2280.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My car has been reliable till now, but if I have to nitpick there has been instances of jerks while shifting gears and a some scary occasions where the engine continues to accelerate even after I let go the pedal resulting in me requiring to hit the brake.
Jerks while shifting can be related to clutch slip or clutch contamination with oil. Engine accelerating doesn't seem transmission related, but should be reported to Ford to see if there's any linkage that is sticking/sensor that is failing.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2017, 11:06   #38
BHPian

My Fiesta petrol Automatic has been shuddering for sometime. I took it to the SA and he says the clutch assembly is due for replacement. It has done 85k kms in 4.5 years. Lot of highway drive, Blr-Kochi. I was thinking this would be covered under warranty (sealed for life etc), but SA says its a wear part and hence not covered.
It will cost a bomb to replace = Rs 67k for the kit.
Should I still insist on under warranty replacement, or is it really a part not covered by warranty? Any clarification is very much appreciated please. Thank you
Old 9th January 2017, 12:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
My Fiesta petrol Automatic has been shuddering for sometime. I took it to the SA and he says the clutch assembly is due for replacement. It has done 85k kms in 4.5 years. Lot of highway drive, Blr-Kochi. I was thinking this would be covered under warranty (sealed for life etc), but SA says its a wear part and hence not covered.
It will cost a bomb to replace = Rs 67k for the kit.
Should I still insist on under warranty replacement, or is it really a part not covered by warranty? Any clarification is very much appreciated please. Thank you
You should be insisting on warranty. The transmission is covered till 2,10,000 kms (to the best of my knowledge... above 200k kms for sure) or 10 years whichever is earlier. If the SA is insistent, tell him to get in touch with ford or you will do it on his behalf.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 17:20   #40

My ford Figo aspire AT March 16 done 7000 has got the same problem of gear shudder while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Given the car at dealer workshop Caculo Ford, Verna and they have assured to rectify the problem in dual clutch.
prashaant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 22:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashaant View Post
My ford Figo aspire AT March 16 done 7000 has got the same problem of gear shudder while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Given the car at dealer workshop Caculo Ford, Verna and they have assured to rectify the problem in dual clutch.
If you are driving in heavy stop-go traffic (where there are frequent gear changes b/w 1-2), then this is normal. It goes away on its own after a night's halt. I have observed this behaviour in all dry clutch DSG units, which includes VWs DQ250.

If the shudder remains even after a long-ish halt, then it should be an issue.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 23rd January 2017, 15:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashaant View Post

What I am told by the dealer is that the old issues that lead to recall in US has been addressed even for India built vehicles even from 2013. So you should be ok.
Old 9th February 2017, 22:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
You should be insisting on warranty. The transmission is covered till 2,10,000 kms (to the best of my knowledge... above 200k kms for sure) or 10 years whichever is earlier. If the SA is insistent, tell him to get in touch with ford or you will do it on his behalf.

Thanks,

Simple_car

So here is the final story on this.
- Ford advertises that this tranny is sealed for 10yr/240k kms. Zero maintenance during this period.
- What I learned is, this is not a warranty, but its design life.
- But the clutch inside the tranny is a wear part that needs replacement, just like regular MT clutches. Which means the tranny has to be opened, in less than 240k kms.
- This I believe is conflicting and very misleading. If it's sealed for life then I expect the clutch to have same life. If not don't advertise this 10 yr/240k sealed for life nonsense.
- I raised this issue with Ford SA and also the fact that this tranny had recalls in USA. In fact there are law suits as well. I insisted on free replacement.
- The Elite Ford SA and service GM were extremely helpful throughout this process and Ford agreed to replace the clutches free of cost.
- Except for my gripe with the misleading info, I am a very satisfied Ford customer now. So satisfied that I went ahead and booked an Endeavour Titanium this week.

Thank you Simple_car for your suggestion.
Hoping for many more years of happy driving in my reborn Fiesta and the new Endy.
Final note: I am told the newer Dual Clutch AT has the recall issues resolved. One can expect Ford to act positively if there are genuine tranny issues. Mine, I am not sure if it was recall related or pure wear out. Clutch lasted 85k kms. Pretty phenomenal for a wear part.
Czarcarsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 08:27   #44
BANNED

Okay guys, I am here seeking your output. A friend of my father is very seriously contemplating Aspire DCT for himself. I am a bit skeptical of this gearbox going by the past record of the same.

I request the owners and experts to please throw some light on the reliability part of this gearbox as of today, after Ford has made several changes in the gearbox.

Other than Aspire DCT, I can see that only GT TSi is another worthy automatic car available under 10 lac, which one would you choose?
Old 1st July 2017, 08:47   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Okay guys, I am here seeking your output. A friend of my father is very seriously contemplating Aspire DCT for himself. I am a bit skeptical of this gearbox going by the past record of the same.

I request the owners and experts to please throw some light on the reliability part of this gearbox as of today, after Ford has made several changes in the gearbox.

Other than Aspire DCT, I can see that only GT TSi is another worthy automatic car available under 10 lac, which one would you choose?
After driving this gearbox on the EcoSport for 3.5 years through Delhi traffic, I am absolutely satisfied. Initially I faced some problems with mild jerks at low speeds, but after two TCU updates from Ford, the problem has vanished. The last TCU update in fact increased the low speed gearbox response significantly as well.

But Aspire DCT and GT TSI are good cars. The GT is however too small in terms of space for it to be practical for my needs. The Aspire on the other hand is cheaper and a lot roomier.
roy_libran is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks