Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2017, 14:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Ford Fiesta DCT Automatic: Gearbox woes

Have 2 Ford DCTs at home. The gearbox in Ford is tuned for reliability. Plus, the VWs gearbox does not age well. So, purely from the point of reliability, Ford is the better choice.

However for someone the age of your father, I would advice cars with CVT or Torque converters since they are more forgiving. DCT have a learning curve, and will be difficult to adapt at older age (you can ask my dad ).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 15:37   #47
BANNED

Thanks a lot for your output @Simple_car and @roy_libran, this has cleared my doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
However for someone the age of your father, I would advice cars with CVT or Torque converters since they are more forgiving. DCT have a learning curve, and will be difficult to adapt at older age (you can ask my dad ).
There lies a catch, uncle has already driven Baleno and Jazz CVT and none has been able to impress him. His previous car was a Getz CRDi, and he wants a car that is stress free to drive, powerful, automatic and petrol (his running is less now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
After driving this gearbox on the EcoSport for 3.5 years through Delhi traffic, I am absolutely satisfied.
How is it to drive on hilly terrain, if you have ever taken yours to hills? My uncle would be driving his Aspire mainly in Dehradun and Mussoorie area, along with some frequent hilly trips.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 16:04   #48
Senior - BHPian

DSG and DCT aren't trouble free; then why are they being sold. The only DSG I've test driven is the Polo 1.2 which was the best automatic I've driven till now, butter smooth! It's sad that they seem to be failing at metronome frequency.
Durango Dude is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 16:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
There lies a catch, uncle has already driven Baleno and Jazz CVT and none has been able to impress him. His previous car was a Getz CRDi, and he wants a car that is stress free to drive, powerful, automatic and petrol (his running is less now).

Nothing less than a Polo TSI would please an ex Getz Crdi owner.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 18:09   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Okay guys, I am here seeking your output. A friend of my father is very seriously contemplating Aspire DCT for himself. I am a bit skeptical of this gearbox going by the past record of the same.

I request the owners and experts to please throw some light on the reliability part of this gearbox as of today, after Ford has made several changes in the gearbox.

Other than Aspire DCT, I can see that only GT TSi is another worthy automatic car available under 10 lac, which one would you choose?
I don't think you need to really worry about the reliability of the DCT in the Fords. It is definitely a slightly weird behaving box but is not as notorious as the DSG from VW.

We have an Ecosport DCT in the family (there is an ownership report also here). It definitely gets the job done in most scenarios and you don't have to worry about that. It does behave a bit weird especially in slow speed scenarios, bit would not consider it a deal breaker.

This is in the Ecosport, being a smaller and lighter car, some of these quirks will be masked better in the Aspire.

Comparison to the Polo TSI DSG? None at all, the TSI +DSG combo is leagues ahead. So if you are ok with and accept the small fear of failure that the Polo TSI brings with it, this is the car to go for. Otherwise, the Aspire is good choice.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:56   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Okay guys, I am here seeking your output. A friend of my father is very seriously contemplating Aspire DCT for himself. I am a bit skeptical of this gearbox going by the past record of the same.

I request the owners and experts to please throw some light on the reliability part of this gearbox as of today, after Ford has made several changes in the gearbox.

Other than Aspire DCT, I can see that only GT TSi is another worthy automatic car available under 10 lac, which one would you choose?
I am an owner of a petrol Fiesta DCT with 5 yrs / 90k kms. You probably saw my last report right above your comment.
Some caution:
1- Before you jump into DCT just check with Ford service, how much it costs to replace the clutch unit, which is a wear part. I am told that the DCT clutch for Aspire, Ecosport etc are comparatively cheaper than Fiesta. But definitely confirm replacement cost.

2- I just absolutely love this transmission. I have driven in almost all kinds of terrains- sandy beaches, hills and hairpin bends, including one of the worst kacha roads I have ever seen. Initial clutch unit lasted some 85k kms. Since it had some reliability issues, Ford replaced the clutch pack for free. There were cars with early DCT that had clutch wear out in as low as 15k kms. I guess I was lucky. The newer units apparently have all design issues resolved but the bad name persists. So watch out for resale value. This applies to DCT or DSG.

Based on my experience with DCT and Ford response, I would recommend the DCT. It is an absolute pleasure to drive.

For hilly terrain DCT/DSG transmission may be be better as the regular 'fluid coupling' automatics have larger heat generation. At high altitudes this could have some impact on its performance or life.

Hope this helps.
Czarcarsm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 20:58   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How is it to drive on hilly terrain, if you have ever taken yours to hills? My uncle would be driving his Aspire mainly in Dehradun and Mussoorie area, along with some frequent hilly trips.
I have driven the EcoSport extensively in the hills of North India. I use the S mode in the hills, but the economy will be in the range of 8-9 kmpl with such usage.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 23:30   #53
BANNED

I own an Aspire DCT. The gearbox takes some time to learn your driving pattern. I have completed 25000 kms, so can't talk about long term reliability. The gearbox had some issues in the past, not a stellar one for sure. The gearshifts after the learning period is good enough and you won't notice any jerkiness.

Occasionally there is a hesitancy to change the gears quick enough. While the Polo DSG has a faster shift timings, I needed a car with ample back seat space and boot, so went for Aspire. It's true that you can't outrun the Polo TSI, but the Aspire is no slouch. It can be fun to drive and a good steering surely helps. The S mode is quite useless to say, except for hilly terrain. The service is cheaper and last service cost me ₹ 4500.

The drawbacks are :
1. The low fuel efficiency, my driving gets me 10km/ltr. But I'm a very aggressive driver and predominantly drives in city traffic so a sedate one can get around 12 I guess.
2. The build quality is not to my liking also, it's not that confidence inspiring on closing the doors and the NCAP ratings are a low 3 stars.
3. 15 inches tyres would have been better I feel.
4. The wheel nuts are of pathetic quality. Already have replaced 2. I never had to replace wheel nuts in 15 years of owning a Zen! So there is definite cost cutting in many places.
The Rationalist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 07:29   #54
BHPian

I bought a 2016 Ford Fiesta in California with VIN 3FADPXX..XXXX19 last year. I was surprised to receive a class action settlement notice from Ford by post.

Read more here: www.fordtransmissionsettlement.com

I have clicked the class action settlement notice that applies to me and I have posted the images below. It applies to Ford Fiesta 2011-2016 models with DCT. Since I'm a direct bonafide, I thought of sharing with our community and this is the best thread to share this. Since we do not have lemon law, I'm sure Ford India will keep silent about this. But the issue is officially recognized.

Ford Fiesta DCT Automatic: Gearbox woes-img_3373.jpg

Ford Fiesta DCT Automatic: Gearbox woes-img_3375.jpg

Excerpt from website at http://www.fordtransmissionsettlemen...stions.aspx#a1

What is this lawsuit about? This Settlement resolves litigation against Ford alleging that Ford defectively designed the PowerShift Dual-Clutch Automatic Transmission in certain 2011-2016 Ford Fiesta and 2012-2016 Ford Focus vehicles (“Class Vehicles”).

The Actions allege that the PowerShift Transmission in the Class Vehicles was defectively designed and manufactured by Ford, causing it to slip, buck, kick, and/or jerk, resulting in the sudden or delayed acceleration of the vehicle. Plaintiffs have asserted nationwide claims under federal and state express and implied warranty laws and under consumer protection statutes.

Last edited by devsoftech : 25th July 2017 at 07:33. Reason: Added more context
devsoftech is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 10:06   #55
BHPian

There is a similar class action filed last year in Australia.

The DCT is problematic ; but us fatalistic Indians seem to put faith in God and buy it anyways.
Old 25th July 2017, 11:26   #56
Team-BHP Support

This is such a shame. Basically in the compact / crossover segment, if you want A/T, the options are binary - pick one:

- fun to drive and unreliable; or
- reliable but only provides boring A to B locomotion.

:-(

I wonder if a lot more people in India have faced this. Everyone I know who owns a Ecosport AT has only had good things to say about it.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 13:37   #57
BHPian

Ford Fiesta DCT Automatic: Gearbox woes

I think Ford has resolved this issue on the newer versions. But from my experience the support provided by Ford for resolving my Fiesta 2012 transmission has been really good. They covered the entire claim.
So I don't know if we Indians have feel really let down in this particular case.
But in a different note, yes we really need a lemon law. I am not sure if all OEMs would be as generous as Ford.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 25th July 2017 at 13:38.
Old 6th August 2017, 22:45   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
There is a similar class action filed last year in Australia.

The DCT is problematic ; but us fatalistic Indians seem to put faith in God and buy it anyways.
I am aware of the class action suits in Australia and USA. They all point to the same problem which plagues the dry clutch DCT transmissions (of any company).

This transmission has a learning curve. There is no escaping it. It is very obvious when you have different type of drivers driving the cars equipped with these transmissions.

I would request you to kindly stop making these kind of generic statements without investigating a little further.

Ford is offering upto 5 years of warranty on this transmissions. It is on par with the other manufacturers. It could have done better, but it is the way it is. They have been very supportive till date with most customers who had issues. I think for our country, that should be noted with a positive attitude.

I am saying this repeatedly: Please remember that any dry clutch transmissions have a learning curve. Most people do not adapt to this, and face the problems. I'm not saying that the companies offering these transmissions are angels, but it is known that DCTs have advantages over the conventional automatics in certain areas.
Simple_car is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 16:34   #59
RDS
BHPian

Guys,

I really need your opinion on this. Ford Aspire Dec 2015 make - should I go for DCT? It seemed good on test drive. I will be getting extended warranty till June 2020.

I really wanted to buy this for my parents and booked the car this last weekend. Now, I am not sure. I have to take a decision and take delivery or say no before Wednesday.
Old 11th December 2017, 19:29   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
Guys,

I really need your opinion on this. Ford Aspire Dec 2015 make - should I go for DCT? It seemed good on test drive. I will be getting extended warranty till June 2020.

I really wanted to buy this for my parents and booked the car this last weekend. Now, I am not sure. I have to take a decision and take delivery or say no before Wednesday.

My dad just bought a Ecosport DCT. I guess it's similar to the aspire DCT.
After talking to a known Ford Dealer Shop floor manager, I am told all the original DCT issues are resolved.
Find out how much it cost to replace the clutch when it is due. I think depending on your driving style it can last anywhere from 30k to 50 k kms. This clutch is a wear part.
Czarcarsm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed