Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2019, 19:52   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift VDi(2009) with 90K on Odo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
...Swift VDi(2009) ....They are quoting 13K for clutch overhaul(Clutch plate, Pressure plate, Release Bearing and Flywheel + Labor).

...need to replace all these parts for clutch overhaul? Usually, these ASCs replace even parts in working condition.
For all the above parts, the Honda ASC SA was quoting that replacing all the above parts for City would cost about 35K including labor.
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:16   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
For all the above parts, the Honda ASC SA was quoting that replacing all the above parts for City would cost about 35K including labor.
That's a big inflated figure for City. I got City clutch overhaul done from outside. But, when I enquired from Honda center they gave me a figure of around 15k for the whole thing. I got it done from outside in 8k. I suggest checking with another service center as well.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:32   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
.. Honda center they gave me a figure of around 15k for the whole thing. I got it done from outside in 8k.
On probing further, he mentioned that flywheel alone costs 15K, if the replacement excludes flywheel, then it is around 15K. I'm not sure why the flywheel needs to be replaced, after all the worn out parts would be the clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing.

8K is very good deal, did you manage to get Honda original clutch?
Unlike Maruti, Ford or Hyundai, Honda doesn't sell OEM spares over the counter, so getting an original Honda part at FNG could be a problem unless there is some other way for FNGs to source these OEM Honda parts.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 2nd December 2019 at 20:35.
Old 9th February 2020, 15:04   #154
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How many KMs before clutch overhaul

Recently got the clutch replacement done for my first gen Swift Dzire VXi petrol @1Lakh km. After the work was completed, during a short test drive everything seemed fine and gears were slotting perfectly. After we returned to the service centre, the mechanic adjusted clutch play and when I drove back home it wasn't as good as during the test drive. Don't know if he adjusted anything else. Now, intermittently, gears aren't slotting properly especially first and reverse. Folks at the service centre asked me to get the car back, will go next Saturday.

* Parts replaced include Clutch cable, Clutch plate, Pressure plate, Release bearing, Flywheel, Input shaft bearing.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on what to be checked ? Just thinking out loud (I'm not technically knowledgeable on any of this though) - Gear shift cable & greasing of clutch arm ? Or something else ?

Last edited by NPV : 9th February 2020 at 15:15.
Old 9th February 2020, 17:27   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
After the work was completed, during a short test drive everything seemed fine and gears were slotting perfectly. After we returned to the service centre, the mechanic adjusted clutch play and when I drove back home it wasn't as good as during the test drive.
Clutch free play can affect gear shifting. Make sure the play is what it's recommended in your owner's manual. If that is as per specs then you need to investigate elsewhere.
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 18:58   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Recently got the clutch replacement done for my first gen Swift Dzire VXi petrol @1Lakh km. After the work was completed, during a short test drive everything seemed fine and gears were slotting perfectly. After we returned to the service centre, the mechanic adjusted clutch play and when I drove back home it wasn't as good as during the test drive. Don't know if he adjusted anything else. Now, intermittently, gears aren't slotting properly especially first and reverse. Folks at the service centre asked me to get the car back, will go next Saturday.
Looks like the mechanic has loosened the adjustment on the clutch cable inside the engine compartment more than required. I assume the the bite point for the clutch is really low which means the clutch isn't engaging fully when depressed.

It's an easy fix if you have a 10mm and a 14mm spanner. All you need to do is tighten the adjuster a couple of turns to bring the bite point up a bit. I do this regularly on my first gen swift which for some reason eats clutch cables.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 11:18   #157
BHPian

Quote:
After we returned to the service centre, the mechanic adjusted clutch play and when I drove back home it wasn't as good as during the test drive. Don't know if he adjusted anything else. Now, intermittently, gears aren't slotting properly especially first and reverse.
The only adjustment that can be done for the cable is via a nut located just below the battery compartment.Probably all that is required is a re-adjustment. Usually this needs to be done properly or else the gears do not slot properly.

Also time to time lubing the cables with chain spray which i prefer as its more penetrating and forms a slick film helps in keeping the operation smooth. Again this is totally from personal preference point of view as people usually never run in to issues with non lubricating of cables but i prefer as it just keeps everything smooth and easy on my left leg too in heavy traffic.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 23:13   #158
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Thanks for your responses, problem was solved today.

Instead of the scooter, I decided to take the car to work and it was in peak traffic. I had a harrowing time and felt like a newbie driver trying to figure out how to operate the clutch and gear shifts. Once the vehicle is stationary, first gear would almost be impossible to slot into, but while the vehicle was moving gear shifts would be normal, so I got the hang of that and somehow managed to get to office.
The service centre folks were really nice and sent a couple of mechanics to take a look and they just adjusted the clutch play with a spanner and gave a spray of rustoleum for good measure and voila it did the magic! The vehicle feels like a brand new one with soft, easy clutch and precise, butter smooth gear shifts
Will explain more in the appropriate thread during the weekend.

Last edited by NPV : 10th February 2020 at 23:14.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 11:09   #159
Senior - BHPian

Got the Clutch Replacement done on my Honda City with 57,600 kms on the ODO. Final bill was Rs.15,207/- in Bangalore.

Detailed information on the Clutch Replacement at Honda ASC provided on my ownership log >
Old 18th November 2020, 00:53   #160
BHPian

Was facing problem with Tiago in slotting the gears and considerable loss of pick up (mainly in 2nd gear).

Service advisor told to replace the clutch with 22k only on ODO and 3 and half years of life.

Total bill came approx 14.5 k for clutch change, front brake pads change and normal service.
Old 18th November 2020, 12:05   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMajumdar View Post
My three year old Wagon R feels heavy and sluggish to drive in lower gears, also giving a jerky ride. Took it to two different MSL service stations. SA adjusted the clutch cable tension both times and all was fine again. But things soon slowed down after both adjustments. Now they're advising a clutch overhaul with an estimate of 4.5-5K!!!
Pretty late but I had a similar experience in 2019 with my <2 years old WagonR VXi (2017) with about 15000kms on odo. My clutch had started slipping and got worse rapidly. Sent it to the workshop and the technician also pointed at worn out clutch plates. Asked him to replace it knowing very well it wasn't covered in warranty also asked him to bring the replaced parts.

Was in for a shock when I saw the bill and the parts for the clutch :
- clutch plate
- clutch cover/pressure plate (its a single component)
- flywheel
- release bearing

The charges for the clutch change were about 11k, could be more, I cant recall exactly as the total bill was 17k(including charges for service, interior cleaning and polish, suspension bushes and greasing as I had done a 1200km trip in the rains over bad roads).

Few notes were :
- the components had no damage/rust on the outside(they're still in my garage but have now rusted)
- the clutch plate was worn out to the rivets on one side and almost to the rivets on the other
- the flywheel and pressure plate had scoff marks and scouring, more scoffing on the flywheel

On a side note, I had to tow my uncle's Spark(in 2019) which froze in 1st gear in a traffic jam in the hills. I went to the Chevrolet workshop and saw the parts. The clutch plate surface had melted and got stuck to the flywheel and looked like lava. The guys managed to scrape it off and the total bill was about 9k(clutch plate, cover and cable), they said if the flywheel was damaged it would be another 7k.
I wasn't able to lift the flywheel with one hand. It was large and heavy. The WagonR's flywheel was much smaller and lighter. I can throw it some distance with one hand.

So smaller and lighter components hence lesser life and lower tolerance.
I had a chat with the pick-up and drop guy, he said something about cars coming in for clutch replacements at 20k is common. I am not sure if he was being honest or just trying to convince me it was normal but looking at the internal components its obvious the quality of internals has come down significantly(uncle's WagonR, over 17 years old hasn't had a clutch change, can't recall the kms).

As for the common blame on the driver. Of course it varies but I want to point out that the same driver was driving a Matiz for 16 years on the same route and the clutch plate change was around 45000kms.
The Matiz was sparingly used as compared to the WagonR and the traffic was much less but the Matiz was driven with a heavy foot and mostly with 4-5 people on board.

I am still a uncomfortable with this as one of the reasons for buying a WagonR in 2017 was of a no-nonsense vehicle with good reliability and cheap maintenance.
The car is now nearing 22000kms, no issues after that, have stopped going to the dealer's workshop(wasn't happy with their service staff, policies and costs), started using a nearby garage for service(one benefit of a WagonR).

I am not competent with internals of cars and have some stupid questions :
1. For something as robust as the flywheel, just some scouring can render it unusable ? can't it be resurfaced or something ? seems like a waste otherwise.
2. Is there an option to upgrade the clutch plates for any car and if yes then WagonR(2017)? Mainly because the car went from a slight slip to difficult to drive in a week with a running of <18kms per day.

Hope someone can still answer my questions
Old 18th November 2020, 12:33   #162
BHPian

My Liva GD is still running with stock clutch with around 110000kms on ODO. And even my previous car which was WagonR, i had brought it second hand and I never replaced the clutch in my 45000 kms of usage after buying.
And, my driving style involves usage of lot of half clutch in slow moving traffic.
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 17:00   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
My Liva GD is still running with stock clutch with around 110000kms on ODO. And even my previous car which was WagonR, i had brought it second hand and I never replaced the clutch in my 45000 kms of usage after buying.
And, my driving style involves usage of lot of half clutch in slow moving traffic.
Exactly, the variance is not just the driver but also the car. Even comparing the 2004 and 2017 WagonRs the difference in sheet metal and paint quality is easy to see and feel. So guessing the same has happened on the internals (they aren't same internally anyway, analogous to 2017 and the current versions of WagonR).

Coming back to the question "How many kms before clutch overhaul?" seems like the answer is "depends"
Not covered in warranty anyway.

Last edited by shancz : 18th November 2020 at 17:10. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 21:36   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Clutch free play can affect gear shifting. Make sure the play is what it's recommended in your owner's manual. If that is as per specs then you need to investigate elsewhere.
Hello sir, how to adjust clutch free play in ciaz, I couldn't find it in user manual.
I got my 2016 ciaz serviced day before yesterday, and after the service, there is a knocking sound coming from the engine bay only while releasing the clutch pedal, and that too, when engine is running. This sound comes even in neutral gear. My total running till date is 20,000 kms. The service advisor and mechanic is asking me to get the clutch overhaul done to sort out this noise.

Regards
Anindya
Old 9th July 2021, 01:38   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I am not competent with internals of cars and have some stupid questions :
1. For something as robust as the flywheel, just some scouring can render it unusable ? can't it be resurfaced or something ? seems like a waste otherwise.
2. Is there an option to upgrade the clutch plates for any car and if yes then WagonR(2017)? Mainly because the car went from a slight slip to difficult to drive in a week with a running of <18kms per day.

Hope someone can still answer my questions
Haven't been around here for a while but your post confirms what I have been saying all along- quality of cars is deteriorating by the day, and service centres are exploiting the ignorance of car owners to the hilt. My 99 model M800 is a tank compared to the current Alto 800.

Most commercial vehicles go through 3-4 clutch plates before even the pressure plate or release bearing are replaced. Flywheels are routinely resurfaced and re-used and usually last the life of the vehicle. However it is not possible to comment on the extent of damage to your components without looking at them.

Clutch failures may occur gradually or suddenly. The latter is usually due to the catastrophic failure caused by a defective part rather than routine wear.

Upgraded clutches are available for vehicles. But OEM clutches are the best when it comes to comfort and longevity. I suspect that it is a case of defective clutch friction plate or clutch cable or faulty clutch adjustment which caused the problem in your car and the replacement parts will be free of the defects.

Hope this answers your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anindya_Anni View Post
Hello sir, how to adjust clutch free play in ciaz, I couldn't find it in user manual. I got my 2016 ciaz serviced day before yesterday, and after the service, there is a knocking sound coming from the engine bay only while releasing the clutch pedal, and that too, when engine is running. This sound comes even in neutral gear. My total running till date is 20,000 kms. The service advisor and mechanic is asking me to get the clutch overhaul done to sort out this noise. Regards Anindya
If the problem cropped up after service, it is the fault of the service centre. Escalate the matter to Maruti customer care.

Last edited by fighterace : 9th July 2021 at 01:40.
fighterace is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks