Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2015, 14:14   #136
BHPian

Re: How many KMs before clutch overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
My 2008 swift vdi had its first clutch plate replaced at 120000 Km , the second one was replaced after another 100000 Km last month. My drive is predominantly on the highway.
Just curious, is there a typo when you said '120000' and meant 12 thousand kms?
Old 13th February 2015, 12:05   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Really?! That was quite early IMO if you drive mostly on the highway. My 7.5yr old Swift (same engine as yours) which has run ~98K kms with almost 50% highway driving is still running on its original parts, both clutch & timing belt! Am not boasting anything, but I feel this is quite short time for clutch & timing belt overhaul! I guess the Fiat parts must be sturdier than Maruti! Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah even I had the same reservations since many of my friends have Swift Diesel and they are about to cross 1 lakh kms without having to go for clutch overhaul. But then these were the two main things I had to consider as well.

1. Swift (75BHP) and my FIAT-GP-90MJD(90BHP)
2. Kerb weight of Swift : 960 kg while FIAT-GP-90MJD : 1198kg
3. Others (to be filled by automobile experts in Team-BHP)

Although I had to shell out INR 35K, but it feels like I just got a new car for that price.The car literally feels just out of the showroom. The clutch pedal feels like knife in the butter and the gear shift is smooth and well what should I say about the FIAT diesel engine roar, I've fallen in love with my Fiat all over again.
Old 25th February 2015, 11:10   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyawaghmare View Post
Just curious, is there a typo when you said '120000' and meant 12 thousand kms?
Apologise for the late response. I had no access to my computer for 10 days. There is no type I have done 2 Lakh 26 thousand Km as of today. 1Lakh 20 twenty thousand Km is correct.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:48   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Its Bose. But he would know me by my first name. I have been going to him for years across all the different cars I had and so does my friends. Its better to go on a weekday because on Saturdays there is huge rush.
Thank you for the reference. I finally got around to meeting him at the Darga rd MASS. In the meantime i had kept the car running by frequently adjusting the clutch cable tension, so as to minimize the slippage. Mr. Dilip Kar advised a clutch overhaul costing around 5-5.5K, which I think is a small price to pay for getting back the driving comfort I've sorely missed over the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Hello Guys I have a questions related to the gear shift issues that I'm facing with my Grande Punto MJD90 ever since it crossed 50K on the ODO.The technician at Vecto Motors Bangalore advised for the replacement of the entire CSC unit without even checking it or least driving the car.

I'm still apprehensive because sometimes the gear shift process is smooth when I start in the morning and it gets progressively harder by the day. Any suggestions ? Could this be occurring due to the worn out clutch unit or could this be something with the gear assembly ? By the way the odo now reads ~60K
This I think happens if there is a fair bit of drag between the clutch disc and the flywheel surface. Even with the clutch pedal fully depressed, the clutch disc does not fully separate from the flywheel surface. Consequently the cogs of the gearbox keep rotating, albeit very slowly, due to the rotational power still being transmitted from the engine via the dragging clutch. Thus the dog clutch, which is the business end of the gear lever, finds it difficult to mesh with a gear that is still in motion. Hope this answers the question...
DMajumdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 15:11   #140
Senior - BHPian

My cousin came visiting yesterday in his 2007 Honda Civic which still looks pristine. On looking at the odo i saw 162746 kms,
and the car has not gone through a clutch change yet.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 15:24   #141
BHPian

My Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI stands at 165000 KMs. The clutch has never been changed.
I wonder how it has lasted 3 times a usual clutch lasts.

My driver does drive the car very gently, but its just astonishing.
prakhar1998 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 17:18   #142

My Innova D is now 10+ years and 1.15 lac kms on the original clutch. Its driven by me primarily and at times by my spouse. In the last few days I find that while downshifting from 3rd to 2nd the gear does not engage properly and tends to slip. Is it to do with the clutch or the transmission? The clutch though is holding very well even now and there is no rubbery feel or anything of that sort. What could the issue be?
Old 6th April 2018, 15:23   #143
BHPian

Clutch problems in Cedia

Hello all,

Though I'm a member of this great forum for a few years now, this is my first post! Apologies if its not posted in the correct category.

I bought a Mitsubishi Cedia New sports in 2013. The car had driven about 22000 KM then. I had to replace the clutch around 33000 km. It kind of came as a shock to me then. Service guys at SVR motors (only Mitsubishi service centre in Bangalore ) that time told me it is absolutely necessary. It was probable at that point since all the tires were worn out at 22000 km when I bought, pointing to rough use.

Anyway, after they changed the clutch ( costing about 40K ) there was a slight judder at the low point (when its nearly almost released) in 2nd and 1st gears. When I reported that, they adjusted idle rpm to avoid the engine turning off in low speed. That slow speed judder still remained, mostly when the car is in small climbs in low gear. There was no major problem except the judder, which they were never able to solve.

A few years have passed after this clutch replacement, and the odo is reading about 62000 Km now. I went recently to a high range drive in Idukki. The car was fully loaded. Four adults with about 70kg average, two kids, may be 20kg each and some luggage in the boot. The car failed to climb some of the steep roads. I was already in 2nd and climbing slowly, then I had to put the car into 1st. The moment I tried to release the clutch after shifting to 1st gear, clutch started knocking badly. It did not respond to accelerator. After about 20 seconds, I released accelerator to avoid damage to car and stopped. I had to get all the people out and then try again. Car was only able to climb after trying a couple of times with hard release of the clutch in 1st gear followed by high throttle.

The climb was possibly at 35degree or so. road had turns so coming in fast was not a possibility. For a 2L engine, it think this should have been an easy task. Does this point to a clutch problem? I'm doubting that they did a shoddy job replacing the clutch, that its not aligned properly. I'm not an expert so I'm asking your advice here.

if I want to get the clutch checked and corrected, where is a good place in Bangalore? There are so many workshops, I'm not sure which one is trustworthy. I lost confidence in SVR motors lately. They are not even able to sort out small issues. Routine service has become a joke lately there. They keep the car for a day or two and give back with out addressing any problem. Advice is also random. one service they will say, drive rods need replacement and next time they will say no problem and car is in top condition. Even when I reported the clutch judder issue after they replaced it, in the next service, the service engineer called me and told clutch is totally gone and need replacement. When I scolded him, he went back and later called to apologize.

Looking forward to your advice. I love this car otherwise, and want it back in full performance. This incident in my last trip had me losing confidence in the car.

Thank you,
Ranger
Old 6th April 2018, 18:18   #144
Team-BHP Support

Re: Clutch problems in Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
Looking forward to your advice. I love this car otherwise, and want it back in full performance. This incident in my last trip had me losing confidence in the car.
Why not check with an independent garage for a change? Based on your location, you have few garages being listed here, please go through it and seek an opinion. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangalore/
Old 9th April 2018, 22:50   #145
BHPian

I have driven my Ritz Vdi 1,11,000 km with no issues with clutch system. It was driven by me only in Mumbai and Bangalore traffic. Recently sold the vehicle and got a face lifted Scross.
gaddiwale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 09:30   #146
BHPian

Mahindra Xylo E8 - Driven for 190,000 kms with no issue with the clutch. Sold July '17.
Old 24th July 2018, 18:11   #147
BHPian

Re: Clutch problems in Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post
Though I'm a member of this great forum for a few years now, this is my first post! Apologies if its not posted in the correct category.
After research on TBHP, I finally decided to visit Bay6 on the Jail Road, Bangalore. The decision turned out to be good. Its a small workshop but the main mechanic, Bala, was quite knowledgeable and no-bullshit. I had to leave my car over the weekend since I took it there on a Saturday. None the less, most of my problems are now resolved. He had inspected the clutch performance and tend to believe that the last and only incident of knocking might be due to clutch heating (I did drive in the hilly area for a couple of hours before the incident). For now the decision is to do nothing and see for any further problem. There is still some judder at the low end of clutch, so have to wait and see.

Other issues I told him are all taken care. There was a clacky sound coming from the rear of the car. SVR was not able to fix it over three services. It turned out to be issue with the caliper. Otherwise routine things were done like oil, filter change etc. Bill came to 8.5k roughly. Felt its very reasonable. I'd recommend Bay6 for others in similar pickle.
Along with this I changed all 5 tyre to Micheline Primacy 3 ST. Very smooth. All in all, feels happy again behind the wheel.

Last edited by ampere : 24th July 2018 at 18:31. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 24th July 2018, 19:18   #148
BHPian

Swift VDi - Driven with stock clutch for 210,000 kms. It was not failed, it was becoming hard. I also had the famous synchronizer issue. This was making 1st/2nd gear harder for new drivers in the family (though i got used to engage them without any issue). So SA suggested to do both work together which will save labor costs.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:08   #149
BHPian

Re: Swift VDi(2009) with 90K on Odo?

Our Swift VDi(2009) with 90K on Odo, shudders on first gear. Needs throttle input to move and also has become little hard. I checked with the SA at Mandovi and according to him, we can drive in city for sometime BUT for long drive, clutch needs replacement. They are quoting 13K for clutch overhaul(Clutch plate, Pressure plate, Release Bearing and Flywheel + Labor).

I would like to know whether we need to replace all these parts for clutch overhaul? Usually, these ASCs replace even parts in working condition.
Can we get this clutch overhaul done in FNG?

Please advise!
Old 13th January 2019, 11:58   #150
BANNED

Re: Swift VDi(2009) with 90K on Odo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Our Swift VDi(2009) with 90K on Odo, shudders on first gear. Needs throttle input to move and also has become little hard. I checked with the SA at Mandovi and according to him, we can drive in city for sometime BUT for long drive, clutch needs replacement. They are quoting 13K for clutch overhaul(Clutch plate, Pressure plate, Release Bearing and Flywheel + Labor).

I would like to know whether we need to replace all these parts for clutch overhaul? Usually, these ASCs replace even parts in working condition.
Can we get this clutch overhaul done in FNG?

Please advise!
You can do it in FNG, but make sure that its a reputable one. Also spend some time with the car when they are doing it.

Also check with other MASS in your area.

Related Thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-diesel-2.html (Replacing Clutch on swift diesel)

Last edited by mithun : 13th January 2019 at 11:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks