Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2014, 10:41   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Clutch overhaul advised for Wagon R (13500 kms). Feels Sluggish To Drive

Its a complete set, not just the clutch plate that will be available, specially with a MASS. However I would suggest to just change the cable first and check. It hardly costs Rs 200. If it still doesn't work then go for the overhaul.

Btw which service station are you going to ?
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 10:48   #92
Senior - BHPian

Dear Majumdar

3 Years and in a city like Kolkata may have an adverse effect on clutch. The freewheel could develop some rusting more so as your car runs approx. 5000 kms/year.

Alternatively, try to change the cable.
If overhaul is necessary, contact a FNG and buy genuine MGP from over the counter.

Get in fixed and you save on labour and taxes.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 10:59   #93

Thank you. I visited the Brace bridge service station last time. Prior to that I went to the Parnasree service centre.
Old 6th November 2014, 11:17   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Clutch overhaul advised for Wagon R (13500 kms). Feels Sluggish To Drive

Faced a similar problem with my 4+ year old 35K run Wagon R a few months ago. Changed the cable and the problem still persisted. The car used to shudder and jerk like crazy when in 1st gear and it had become impossible to drive. Had to go for a complete overhaul and I went with MASS instead of an FNG as they will be familiar with the car and do this kind of work on a regular basis.

When the old freewheel was dismantled, I could clearly see a lot of rust on it.
So advice is to replace the cable and if the problem still persists, then bite the bullet and replace the clutch.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 11:29   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Faced a similar problem with my 4+ year old 35K run Wagon R a few months ago. Changed the cable and the problem still persisted. The car used to shudder and jerk like crazy when in 1st gear and it had become impossible to drive. Had to go for a complete overhaul and I went with MASS instead of an FNG as they will be familiar with the car and do this kind of work on a regular basis.

When the old freewheel was dismantled, I could clearly see a lot of rust on it.
So advice is to replace the cable and if the problem still persists, then bite the bullet and replace the clutch.
Thank you. If the freewheel has indeed developed rust, will the resurfacing (I don't think they'll advice replacing) be covered within the clutch overhaul job? Or will they charge extra for the same??
Old 6th November 2014, 11:58   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMajumdar View Post
Thank you. If the freewheel has indeed developed rust, will the resurfacing (I don't think they'll advice replacing) be covered within the clutch overhaul job? Or will they charge extra for the same??
Not sure what they mean by an overhaul as in my case I opted for a replacement. My flywheel and clutch plate looked lot worse than this when I got to see it and hence my call of replacing the same were justified.

Also depends on how bad the current drive? Is there a lot of jerking and shuddering or is it minimal.In my case the car was really jerking and slipping a lot when in the 1st gear and hence my call to replace the clutch.

Another point to consider is what if the problem is not just with the flywheel but also the clutch plate, then I doubt that resurfacing of the flywheel will solve your problem.

You also mentioned that your efficiency is affected. What is the drop that you are seeing? And are you sure that the efficiency is affected only because of the clutch and not due to dirty air filter and throttle body?
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 12:11   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. I visited the Brace bridge service station last time. Prior to that I went to the Parnasree service centre.
So Autokraft (my locality ) Try Machino Techno Sales Workshop in Park Circus. Speak to Mr. D Kar. He is a Senior Tech there and mention Sugato sent you. He should be able to help you out.
Old 6th November 2014, 12:30   #98

Quote:
Not sure what they mean by an overhaul as in my case I opted for a replacement. My flywheel and clutch plate looked lot worse than this when I got to see it and hence my call of replacing the same were justified.

Also depends on how bad the current drive? Is there a lot of jerking and shuddering or is it minimal.In my case the car was really jerking and slipping a lot when in the 1st gear and hence my call to replace the clutch.

Another point to consider is what if the problem is not just with the flywheel but also the clutch plate, then I doubt that resurfacing of the flywheel will solve your problem.

You also mentioned that your efficiency is affected. What is the drop that you are seeing? And are you sure that the efficiency is affected only because of the clutch and not due to dirty air filter and throttle body?
There is medium shuddering in 1st gear, especially when I start rolling without revving much i.e. by controlling the clutch alone.

I'm sure they will take a good look at both the flywheel surface and the clutch plate surface if I do decide to go for an overhaul.

I'm afraid i haven't measured the fall in efficiency, but since the vehicle now needs more revs to reach a given speed I'm assuming it most certainly is operating at a reduced efficiency.

The air filter fuel filter checks have already been done, and were inconclusive.

The vehicle feels heavy and sluggish under normal circumstances...try to imagine how it feels driving with the AC on
Old 6th November 2014, 12:33   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
So Autokraft (my locality ) Try Machino Techno Sales Workshop in Park Circus. Speak to Mr. D Kar. He is a Senior Tech there and mention Sugato sent you. He should be able to help you out.
Thank you. Will do, Sugatoda. Would you mind giving your surname, so i could quote your full name to him. He might be knowing more than one Sugatos..
Old 6th November 2014, 14:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My flywheel and clutch plate looked lot worse than this when I got to see it and hence my call of replacing the same were justified.
I could make out only a Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate from the pic quoted above. Did you really mean fly-wheel? Normally the clutch assembly is sealed, hence there is no question of rust creeping in. If at all it does, it should be a manufacturing defect. A lot of people do not know that Pressure Plate is covered under warranty. Depends a lot on your rapport with the Service Adviser to actually get a warranty, though.
Old 6th November 2014, 15:05   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I could make out only a Clutch Plate and Pressure Plate from the pic quoted above. Did you really mean fly-wheel? Normally the clutch assembly is sealed, hence there is no question of rust creeping in. If at all it does, it should be a manufacturing defect. A lot of people do not know that Pressure Plate is covered under warranty. Depends a lot on your rapport with the Service Adviser to actually get a warranty, though.
Does the clutch assembly remain completely sealed? Aren't there gaps between the diaphragm springs of the pressure plate? If there are, then the clutch assembly is exposed to the elements.
Old 6th November 2014, 15:47   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Will do, Sugatoda. Would you mind giving your surname, so i could quote your full name to him. He might be knowing more than one Sugatos..
Its Bose. But he would know me by my first name. I have been going to him for years across all the different cars I had and so does my friends. Its better to go on a weekday because on Saturdays there is huge rush.
Old 6th November 2014, 16:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the clutch assembly remain completely sealed? Aren't there gaps between the diaphragm springs of the pressure plate? If there are, then the clutch assembly is exposed to the elements.
As per my experience of changing clutches, the whole unit has a cover which is sealed (bolted), hence no chance of mud or water getting in. This is logical also, as any mud or water getting in would cause the clutch to slip.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 6th November 2014 at 16:26.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 17:40   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Its Bose. But he would know me by my first name. I have been going to him for years across all the different cars I had and so does my friends. Its better to go on a weekday because on Saturdays there is huge rush.
Great. I'll go and meet him at the Darga Rd service station next week. I'll update what happens, on this thread.
Old 1st December 2014, 17:01   #105
BHPian

Re: How many KMs before clutch overhaul

Hello Guys I have a questions related to the gear shift issues that I'm facing with my Grande Punto MJD90 ever since it crossed 50K on the ODO.The technician at Vecto Motors Bangalore advised for the replacement of the entire CSC unit without even checking it or least driving the car.

I'm still apprehensive because sometimes the gear shift process is smooth when I start in the morning and it gets progressively harder by the day. Any suggestions ? Could this be occurring due to the worn out clutch unit or could this be something with the gear assembly ? By the way the odo now reads ~60K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks