Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2006, 23:45   #31
BHPian

Timing Belt replacement is for TDI only or it applies to RS & Petrol version also?

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 16th July 2006 at 23:46.
Old 17th July 2006, 01:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

I just checked the official service schedule, It is mandatory across the VAG range to replace timing belts at max 4 years.

The Kms/miles is specific for each engine, 120k miles incase of the 1.8T and 80k miles for the 1.9TDi (These are the new intervals in effect from may/june across europe, earlier it was 80k and 60k respectively which is still carried forward to the indian subsidary).

However at 60k the tming belts need to be inspected and labor will be charged and so on every subsequent 20k miles.

In india the miles are not converted to kms but they directly replace the miles to kms, which i suppose are because of dusty conditions, stop and go driving, and rough road conditions. Making the checking intervals at 60k, 80k, 100k, 120k kms.

But im pretty sure for the diesel they have made it mandatory to replace the timing belt at the 45k kms service instead of 60k kms. The reason for this i think is to divide the service costs over different intervals. In the sense a lot of owners are just concerned about the total bill they pay for each service which can lead to lots of customer complaints for expensive service at 60k kms which includes other replacements too. So instead of pushing the replacement interval of the timing belt further they bring it forward to 45k to balance the costs at each interval.

Last edited by autopsyche : 17th July 2006 at 01:16.
Old 17th July 2006, 22:03   #33
ECM
BHPian

Here is the odo reading for Octavia 1.9 TDI of my friend,its 49,000 kms..flywheel alone cost him 52K,rest he spent on clutch/pressure plate and bearing and labour charges.end of msg.
Old 17th July 2006, 23:11   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
Here is the odo reading for Octavia 1.9 TDI of my friend,its 49,000 kms..flywheel alone cost him 52K,rest he spent on clutch/pressure plate and bearing and labour charges.end of msg.
Clutch Overhaul at 49K KM & costing around 84K so does that mean the Cars which are equipped with Petes Tuning Box for Deisel Octy will have Cluth Failure sooner cause it will put more stress on cluth setup with added torque cause of tuning box!

Found an interesting link regarding Cam timing belt Dos& Dont for Skodas on an other Forum
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/maint...-warning/2974/

So now onwards one has to be precaution before buying a second hand Octy !
Old 18th July 2006, 00:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

@Rocam,
I've seen Skoda's with clutch wear as early as 15k kms. It might be due to the driver's style of driving, but still....

And also the people from Skoda themselves told me that the clutch prob is a frequent issiue with the Octavia's.
Old 18th July 2006, 21:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yes, the Clutch is a frequent problem with the octavia, ive seen people rip off the fly wheel bolts as low as 25k kms myself. I think it definitely has to do with driving style and the non adaptation of the components to indian standards where people tend to ride the clutch more than often.
Old 18th July 2006, 23:51   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche
Yes, the Clutch is a frequent problem with the octavia, ive seen people rip off the fly wheel bolts as low as 25k kms myself. I think it definitely has to do with driving style and the non adaptation of the components to indian standards where people tend to ride the clutch more than often.
Autopsyche does this apply to the RS as well?
Old 18th July 2006, 23:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Autopsyche does this apply to the RS as well?
Technically it should, cuz it develops the same torque and more power. But haven't heard any cases of faults with the RS, except for that 'check engine' light commin ON at times
Old 19th July 2006, 00:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

No, not with the RS, the clutch issues are only with the 1.9TDi
Old 19th July 2006, 01:00   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Where do we source the original Skoda spares?? :(

atleast the clutch kit is by LUK .. they supply them to skoda anyways
Old 19th July 2006, 09:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

thats strange, how come the issue is only with the 1.9Tdi? I would have thoutht the parts would have been the same for the rs as well. considering its the same platform et al.
Old 19th July 2006, 10:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

As I have said in one of my posts on another thread, this is one of the reasons I will not be considering skoda. 2 or 3 of my friends have reported horrendous bills (1.5l in 3rd year and 70k 4th year) on maintenance after 2-4 years and 30-50k km. AC compressor, etc. - 90k, fuel pumps ~35k, clutch jobs 25k+, alternator - 40k, et. al. Recently driver's side door lock failed - cost estimated at 18k. The dealers do not help any and jump in glee at any complaint. They are trying to buy new car and dump skoda.

Skoda is only selling larger numbers since they are only lower priced diesel luxury car, perceived to be of solid build quality and enjoy own segment. And due to price increase in petrol prices. Even dealer told me to buy diesel since it will be cheaper to run, when I was looking at RS, said not much difference in performance - mad fellow. Well maybe not so mad, since torque may be not much different and in gear 20-50 in 3rd may be better than RS. He said petrol skoda is 3% of all skoda sales.

Usually one does not want to go hunting to roadside mechanics to maintain your good car - with all attendant problems of cleanliness, car being driven by them, swapping of good parts, but if dealers/skoda keep charging such high prices of spares/maint., they certainly will lose customers.
Old 19th July 2006, 20:20   #43
ECM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
As I have said in one of my posts on another thread, this is one of the reasons I will not be considering skoda. 2 or 3 of my friends have reported horrendous bills (1.5l in 3rd year and 70k 4th year) on maintenance after 2-4 years and 30-50k km. AC compressor, etc. - 90k, fuel pumps ~35k, clutch jobs 25k+, alternator - 40k, et. al. Recently driver's side door lock failed - cost estimated at 18k. The dealers do not help any and jump in glee at any complaint. They are trying to buy new car and dump skoda.

Skoda is only selling larger numbers since they are only lower priced diesel luxury car, perceived to be of solid build quality and enjoy own segment. And due to price increase in petrol prices. Even dealer told me to buy diesel since it will be cheaper to run, when I was looking at RS, said not much difference in performance - mad fellow. Well maybe not so mad, since torque may be not much different and in gear 20-50 in 3rd may be better than RS. He said petrol skoda is 3% of all skoda sales.

Usually one does not want to go hunting to roadside mechanics to maintain your good car - with all attendant problems of cleanliness, car being driven by them, swapping of good parts, but if dealers/skoda keep charging such high prices of spares/maint., they certainly will lose customers.
Excellent Sandeep and that was my motto behind this post,I have seen ppl rising their colors(spell check please)while buying a car made by foreign companies and they try to prove their logic for buying it,this is one of the example and eye opener that all that shine is not gold.Door lock 18K,Alternator 40K....what a joke boss!

Last edited by ECM : 19th July 2006 at 20:22.
Old 19th July 2006, 20:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM
Excellent Sandeep and that was my motto behind this post,I have seen ppl rising their colors(spell check please)while buying a car made by foreign companies and they try to prove their logic for buying it,this is one of the example and eye opener that all that shine is not gold.Door lock 18K,Alternator 40K....what a joke boss!
Well Thank you ECM for starting the Thread it did bring to notice the other side of Skoda all this time i was going ga ga over Skodas Reliability until i came across this thread wonder there are so many people who are still not aware of unseen expenses which will hit them soon.
Old 19th July 2006, 20:39   #45
BHPian

Aha, this is the true beauty of team-bhp!
I'm never going to buy a Skoda and not advise my friends/relatives to buy one.
Skoda expeses are just outregous!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks