Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred engine oil brand?
BPCL (Mak etc.) 0 0%
Castrol 33 17.01%
Eni / Agip 1 0.52%
GS Caltex 2 1.03%
Gulf 1 0.52%
IOCL (Servo etc.) 4 2.06%
Mobil 65 33.51%
Petronas 2 1.03%
Shell 54 27.84%
ELF / Total 5 2.58%
Veedol 0 0%
OWS 2 1.03%
Other (please specify) 25 12.89%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2015, 15:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your preferred engine oil brand?

I vouch by Motul (for my Lancer Petrol) and Castrol (Standard CI Bullets). I like to go with the brand and specifications as recommended by the manufacturer(for cars) or a very well known mechanic (incase of CI Bullets). The oils I have used so far on my different cars and motorcycles and their performance.

1. Opel Astra 1.6 Petrol: Oil used was Castrol GTX 20W-50 mineral oil throughout my 8 years of ownership. I don't like changing oil brands for many reasons. The Oil performed well nothing home to write about. It met my expectations and was lighter on the pocket too. The car seemed to run smooth and performed well in the city. Drain interval was 6 months and sometimes 8 months depending on the kms covered.

2. Mitsubishi Lancer 1.5 Petrol: Oil used is Motul X-cess 5W-40(as recommended grade and brand my Mitsubishi Motors India) synthetic oil since I bought the car in 2012. Like I mentioned I don't like to change oil brand and have been using this since the past three years. The oil is superb and exceeded my expectations. The car runs smooth and fast while the oil does a beautiful job of keeping the engine in shape during hot summers as well as cold winters. The oil performs how it should be and I am a fan of it. Drain interval is 1 year. Procuring this oil is a bit difficult from local stores, I buy them directly from the distributor thereby having a peace of mind with respect to originality.

3. All my old CI Bullets and one Tbird AVL 350: Oil used is Castrol GTX 20W-50 mineral oil from the time since I acquired them. The oil is thick and old school and does its job of keeping my CI Bullets in shape. Although it is a car oil I still use it on the recommendation of my mechanic who has over 20 years of experience using this oil in CI's. Many other CI users also use this oil for its tough and old school properties. The oil is relatively cheap and can be procured easily. Although there are many duplicates floating so I buy it from a known Castrol authorised dealer. It is light on the pocket considering I have to buy lots of it for my multiple Bullets. Drain interval is 6 months or sometimes 8 months.

4. Tbird500: The motorcycle was filled with Liquid Gun(RE OEM) 15W-50 mineral oil during the last one year as it was in the warranty period. Nothing much to write about as it has not given me any problem till date. Drain interval is 6 months. I will be switching to Motul 5100 of the same grade which is a semi-synthetic oil. The motorcycle is due for an oil change soon. I have heard some good reports about the Motul 5100 from fellow riders. I am doing some more research on this as I don't like to change the brand of engine oil once I choose it.

Mods could you please add Motul to the above list.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 25th November 2015 at 15:22.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Motul with no doubt for my Bullet Electra.

It is a semi-synth oil which I have been using since a couple of years now and was the best compared to the usual Castrol or Valvoline.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 16:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Motul all the way for me! 8100X-Cess is the best oil I've used on my car, 300V for my 4 stroke bikes and 800 for 2 Stroke bikes.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 16:16   #19

I use a fully synthetic premium Motul 300v 4T Factory Line 10W40 for my Mastiff (Duke 390) and have been very happy , never went back to the Motul 7100 or whatever which came with it.
johninflamez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 16:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Agip. My Vespa is very, very partial to Agip- semi synthetic.

The '72 FIAT is extremely partial towards Castrol, and the 'modern' cars prefer Total/Mobil.

Bosch / Liqui Moly - well, the Punto 90HP loves 'em!

All said and done, in my opinion - most Castrol oils are decent VFM, and are good all rounders.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 25th November 2015 at 16:26.
FINTAIL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 17:03   #21

I have been told about Liqui Moly. I tried it once for my Jeep Wrangler 4.0 and could feel the difference.
Old 25th November 2015, 18:46   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread. Sharing my experience.

1) In my Etios petrol i use fully synthetic oil from Toyota. Later on further research i came to know the manufacturer is Idemitsu. The oil in one word is excellent. Even after 10,000kms apart from the color there is no visible change. The stickiness remains intact! In my recent trip to Ladakh the car crossed 10,000kms mark while returning and i had to to change the oil at 11,000kms mark instead of 10,000kms. After changing to new oil when i drove out of the service center the car behaved the same way! In many cases i have seen after changing the engine oil car becomes more smooth but this oil is so good that even after 11,000kms it retains its character.

Before every trip i always keep a one liter top up bottle in my car for emergency. Though i never had to use that.
Your preferred engine oil brand?-img_4930.jpg

2) In my bike Hero Honda Karizma R i was using Motul 300V. Locally i came across a dealer who insisted me on buying a Unocal76 Pro-Premium 10W-50 API SM. At the very beginning i was a bit reluctant on changing the brand. But he is a very trusted guy. So i bought this pack for less than half the price of Motul 300V. Its a Semi Synthetic oil, though Motul 300V is a fully synthetic oil.

By now i have already covered 2,500+ kms and my observation's are-

1) Bike is very smooth at high rpm's say about 8-8.5k. Earlier the unwanted vibrations which used to crop up to the handle bar and foot peg are much more sorted out now. Its at per with Motul 300V.
2)After 2,500kms the engine note is still smooth and the oil is still sticky and good to go for at-least another 1,000kms. I generally change oil's every 2,000kms in my bike but this time am confident that this oil can easily do 3,000+ kms .
3) The engine oil level is intact, no need for any top ups till now. Over all am satisfied with the oil and will use this oil in my next oil change again. Am getting the same performance as Motul 300V in less than half of its price. This oil is real VFM.

Your preferred engine oil brand?-img_5268.jpg

3) My Figo diesel is currently at 4,500kms so its still running on the stock engine oil which came from the company. So i have no idea, which oil they have poured.

Last edited by GTO : 27th November 2015 at 09:17. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been deleted
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 22:16   #23
BHPian

1. Bajaj Sunny and Kinetic Honda : Castrol Super TT and Castrol JettX . I definitely liked JettX, engine ran quieter and smoother. But it got hard to find. Used Super TT in the Kinetic DX mostly.

2. HH Karizma : Castrol 4T Activ 20W40 mostly, Valvoline once which I never found again.

3. Bajaj Pulsar 220 : Motul 300V, 5100 and BP Mak. Even with 300V, engine sounds gruff.

4. Daytona 675 : Castrol Power 1 Racing 10W40 - what the ASC uses and recommended by Triumph. Might change to Motul 7100 after warranty expires.

5. Linea TJet : stock OE supplied Petronas mineral so far, given the limited driving. Plan to study oils and change to something else if suitable next year.

No Motul in the list , but OWS and Agip are, come on!
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 22:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Company filled oils. Lubricants are hard to source, especially the fancy, synthetic stuffs and the oil capacity is in weird sizes 1.3 liter, 1.7 liter, 6.2 liter.

And a 10,000 kms oil change period, means that the left over oil is of no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
3. Bajaj Pulsar 220 : Even with 300V, engine sounds gruff.
It will, try Valvoline 4T Premium. It is semi-synthetic and has 15W50 rating. I have used it & IMO, this is THE oil suiting Pulsar the best.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 22:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

My preferred brand is Motul & much earlier it used to be Royal Purple.
Old 26th November 2015, 09:57   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I haven't used any car for more than one lakh km, so I believe the bulleted points in the opening post doesn't apply much to me.
Even within that 1 lakh kms, a good oil helps. As an example, I've noticed that synthetic oil makes the engine more revv-happy. It revvs much better to the redline.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 10:26   #27
BHPian

I've been using the Valvoline "All Climate Diesel" 15W40 on my Indigo. It's a API CH4 grade oil. Found that this suited the best to the workhorse Tata. The mechanic had once tried a semi synthetic oil from Shell, but the car sounded rough in the entire rev range. Did not use it further.

On my XCD, I've used the Bajaj oil, Petronas 20W40, Valvoline 4T Champ and Castrol Activ alternatively. I observe that Petronas and Valvoline offer better performance on highway rides with respect to power and fuel economy. Not sure whether the Motul family can be of any benefit to a city commute like XCD.
Old 26th November 2015, 10:30   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

It will, try Valvoline 4T Premium. It is semi-synthetic and has 15W50 rating. I have used it & IMO, this is THE oil suiting Pulsar the best.
Second that!

It is as if Pulsar engines and Valvoline oils are made for each other. Especially the valvoline 4T premium.

In fact, Valvoline was the official oil partner for Bajaj and was used by service centers also back in 2008. Later once they launched their own oil service centers have shifted to that

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 26th November 2015 at 10:32.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 11:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Company filled oils. Lubricants are hard to source, especially the fancy, synthetic stuffs and the oil capacity is in weird sizes 1.3 liter, 1.7 liter, 6.2 liter.
Well if you have a fat cash wallet, this is available at all major oil dealers. All stockists in any major city have access to these barrels. Infact to be cost effective, many manufacturers are turning to stockists for quick delivery and faster delivery times. Bajaj is a classic example for this.

Quote:
And a 10,000 kms oil change period, means that the left over oil is of no good.
Any specific reason for this ? I've never heard this before.. will oxidation spoil the whole oil stored in a air tight stock bottle ?
Old 26th November 2015, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

After going by the reviews around Team BHP, I ordered (and received) 2 5 liter cans of Mobil Delvac 1 for my Jetta. I'll be changing the engine oil shortly, so figured it was worth a go given how everyone swears by it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks