Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your preferred engine oil brand?
BPCL (Mak etc.) 0 0%
Castrol 33 17.01%
Eni / Agip 1 0.52%
GS Caltex 2 1.03%
Gulf 1 0.52%
IOCL (Servo etc.) 4 2.06%
Mobil 65 33.51%
Petronas 2 1.03%
Shell 54 27.84%
ELF / Total 5 2.58%
Veedol 0 0%
OWS 2 1.03%
Other (please specify) 25 12.89%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2015, 13:53   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Your preferred engine oil brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
After going by the reviews around Team BHP, I ordered (and received) 2 5 liter cans of Mobil Delvac 1 for my Jetta. I'll be changing the engine oil shortly, so figured it was worth a go given how everyone swears by it.
OT, but will VW allow you to use your own oil ?Especially when the car is under warranty? With VAGs i would not suggest you risk engine warranty. More so with an expensive VAG!

If they are OK with it without voiding the warranty then you will see a remarkable difference in how the engine behaves

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 26th November 2015 at 14:12.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 14:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
OT, but will VW allow you to use your own oil ?Especially when the car is under warranty? With VAGs i would not suggest you risk engine warranty. More so with an expensive VAG!

If they are OK with it without voiding the warranty then you will see a remarkable difference in how the engine behaves
Fair point, one that crossed my mind fleetingly, but I don't think it should be an issue as long as it's the same grade as oil. Even so, I'll give them a buzz and sound them out.

If anyone could confirm if VW doesn't pose an issue with this, I'd much appreciate it.
Old 26th November 2015, 14:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

I voted for ELF / Total. This is the one which my Beaty's engine internals are bathed daily for last 5.5 years or say 44K odd KMs.

Obviously, I may be preferring another brand with another car.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 26th November 2015, 15:00   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
OT, but will VW allow you to use your own oil ?Especially when the car is under warranty? With VAGs i would not suggest you risk engine warranty.
Quote:
If anyone could confirm if VW doesn't pose an issue with this, I'd much appreciate it.
Karan, Sagar is spot on with his observation. My service advisor recommended against using anything other than Castrol Magnatec OE when the car is under warranty and the extended warranty period. Using anything else (be it of the same grade/specs) invalidates the warranty apparently.

When I wanted to make the switch to Mobil, he said they would happily pour it for me if I were to source it but any warranty concerns related to engine will not be considered by the service center. Feel free to ask your service advisor about this.

Haven't used anything other than Castrol as a result. Will make the switch to Mobil after 2 years when the warranty runs out.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 15:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I'll be changing the engine oil shortly, so figured it was worth a go given how everyone swears by it.
+1 to what Ganesh and Sagar said. When I had asked Mobil 1 for my Octavia. They rightly refused stating that they can only use Castrol Magnatec which has been prescribed by the company. Heck, they even didn't allow me to use Castrol Edge instead of Magnatec.
shreyak_ss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2015, 15:30   #36
BHPian

I voted for Shell, But to tell you I am using semi synthetic Mobil 5W-30 on my swift D, the one which is recommended by MSIL, it easily lasts 10K Kms. Recently I switched from mineral to semi synthetic shell oil for my Honda unicorn which clocked more than 1,00,000 kms & engine feels smooth even after 2000 kms of use its after last oil change.
Old 26th November 2015, 15:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Karan, Sagar is spot on with his observation. When I wanted to make the switch to Mobil, he said they would happily pour it for me if I were to source it but any warranty concerns related to engine will not be considered by the service center. Feel free to ask your service advisor about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
+1 to what Ganesh and Sagar said. When I had asked Mobil 1 for my Octavia. They rightly refused stating that they can only use Castrol Magnatec which has been prescribed by the company. Heck, they even didn't allow me to use Castrol Edge instead of Magnatec.

Well, that settles that then. I'll give them a call and talk to them, but I don't expect better sense to prevail.

In slightly unrelated news, does anyone want to buy 2 5 liter bottles of Mobil 1 off me?
Old 26th November 2015, 15:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm a big 'Mobil 1' guy. Been using it for almost 2 decades now. Simply love the engine oil.

Hi GTO,

On a scale of 1 to 10. What would be difference between a Mobil 1 and say a Shell / Castrol ?
Old 26th November 2015, 15:51   #39
BHPian

Excuse me for my ignorance. I always go by what dealership puts in. Though I insisted on synthetic for first 60k of my car - Tata Manza Quadrajet - service, Tata switched from Shell/Mobil (don't recall) to Castrol for last 30k kms or so.

Which engine oil is best for India's national engine - 1.3L from Fiat?

Am planning to do engine oil change right away at 95k after reading this thread. Happy to spend top $ on engine care - though have taken decent care of car so far. Should I get decarbonization or some other clean-up done as well at this stage or rely on superior oil to do part of that job? (sorry for posting it here, will check other threads too)
Old 26th November 2015, 16:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post

Am planning to do engine oil change right away at 95k after reading this thread. Happy to spend top $ on engine care - though have taken decent care of car so far. Should I get decarbonization or some other clean-up done as well at this stage or rely on superior oil to do part of that job? (sorry for posting it here, will check other threads too)
Hi, @5kmiles. I've seen that Liqui-Moly works best on the Punto 90HP. Bosch (synth) is also pretty good.

Kindly refer to this thread for more information: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3491477

Liqui Moly does have a distributor in the NCR area. I believe Anand group is the Indian distributor.

EDIT: Got this link- http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...india/46392306

As for engine decarbonation- NOT needed. Cars are known to go in excess of 2,00,000 kilometers without a decarb.

All I would say is-
Change the air and oil filters, and perform the oil change.

Happy mile crunching!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 26th November 2015 at 16:30.
Old 26th November 2015, 17:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
Excuse me for my ignorance. I always go by what dealership puts in. Though I insisted on synthetic for first 60k of my car - Tata Manza Quadrajet - service, Tata switched from Shell/Mobil (don't recall) to Castrol for last 30k kms or so.

I use Mobil Delvac 1 and found it to suit the MJD.Had used servo,Shell and Schaeffers but found the Delvac 1 full synthetic best suited.
Old 26th November 2015, 19:06   #42

When buying engine oil, I typically choose Mobil 1 taking care to use the correct viscosity for my particular car, because it’s a reliable brand with a solid track record for providing excellent engine protection, and it’s on the tip of the tongue of every expert I spoke with.

The fact is, there’s very little difference between different brands of engine oil.

But on the other hand when it comes to Bikes, according to me Motul is the Champion. I simply love the smell of Motul 300V from the hot engine. Its just addictive.

But above all else, make sure you change your oil regularly, following the recommendations in your owner’s manual. The greatest oil in the world eventually fills with contaminants and breaks down from heat and friction. Failure to change the oil in your engine regularly will eventually cause serious damage (and void your warranty).
Old 27th November 2015, 00:34   #43
BHPian

I urgently need a clarification. I have a 2015 Ford mustang GT, the company says 5W20 on the manual. I recently happen to change the engine oil to 10W60, i live in dubai and its too hot. So was advised by the local shop to put castrol fully synthetic 10W60, i wanted to put 5W40, so then ended up with 10W60, will i be in trouble..? Engine damage or anything, there is a funny sound when the engine is idling, but then not when i rev. A little worried and expert suggestions will be really helpful, scared to drive it..:(
Old 27th November 2015, 09:51   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Karan, Sagar is spot on with his observation. My service advisor recommended against using anything other than Castrol Magnatec OE when the car is under warranty and the extended warranty period. Using anything else (be it of the same grade/specs) invalidates the warranty apparently.

When I wanted to make the switch to Mobil, he said they would happily pour it for me if I were to source it but any warranty concerns related to engine will not be considered by the service center. Feel free to ask your service advisor about this.

Haven't used anything other than Castrol as a result. Will make the switch to Mobil after 2 years when the warranty runs out.
This almost like cartel !!!! I am pretty sure. Let me put my case forward.

Maruti / Hyundai / Tata have all been sticking on with Castrol for all their cars that are under warranty. I understand that the "company" would have done testing under "standard" conditions and would have come out with an favorable "result".

BUT, whats wrong if I try to pour in oil of an competitor company that either has a better reputation or R&D than the one recommended ?

Viscosity is going to be same, API Certifications are going to be evident and all things are going to be surely better than what is being suggested by these fellows.

I have made it a point to drain the oil filled from service station and fill it up in a can and "donate" it. I pour in my choice oil brand (with right or higher specifications) and my feline has been purring like a dragon on leash.

This is nothing but legal cartel (to fleece us), if not they should provide us with multiple options and not chain us to the tower.
Old 27th November 2015, 11:21   #45
BHPian

Mobil 1 for petrol motors & Toyota Denso. Hands down amazing oils.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks