Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2021, 19:41   #136
BHPian

Re: Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
A friend is getting this Jetta(company registration) dirt cheap at a literal throwaway price, with this massive 'hole'. Other than this, the car is super-fine. Should he get it repaired and use it or just stay clear off this mess?
The damage looks like it is superficial, but it is highly likely that there is also a good amount of damage underneath, which is probably the reason why it is on sale.
The rear door will definitely have to be replaced, and that shouldn't be a major issue; you should be able to locate a second hand door for not much money.
But the concern seems to be the damage to the rear quarter panel and the rear door jamb. It Is difficult to make out from the picture, but I think the quarter panel also needs to be replaced, and this is a very very labor intensive process that may also involve significant amounts of cutting and welding.

Would recommend you to stay away from this car. It would be much easier to look for a Jetta in good shape than to invest time and money in fixing this one.

This is what probably needs to be done. As you can see, it involves a lot of time, effort and money:

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 11th February 2021 at 19:45.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 19:54   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
it involves a lot of time, effort and money:
Yeah the repair person quoted at least 80k in repairs. Staying clear off this.
stallmaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 00:45   #138
BHPian

This is a great thread and having faced the same situation myself, repairing is always a good option. So my Alto K10 was having hard clutch issue, AC was not chilling anymore and the steering felt a bit hard than usual.
Then suddenly my Wife/Mom and Dad ask me to sell the car and saying -

# This is going to touch 1 Lakh kilometers and will be a White Elephant soon, sell it before it sells for peanuts.

Took the car to a Local Service Center, Swastikaa Auto Centres on Begur Road in Bengaluru (Referred from a Thread in TeamBHP itself) and by just spending 18000 INR, I was able to revive the car back to its 90 percent. Suspension change was done and lot of other small Wear and Tear parts were replaced. I could not get the Clutch work done due to time-constraint as had to make the trip.

The only things pending are -

1. Tyre Change, S322 from Bridgestone, they have done almost 60000 Kms
2. Clutch overhaul
3. Steering Column to be replaced

The car has touched almost 99000 Kms and with these part change, I am sure it can easily last for long.
Old 14th July 2021, 00:31   #139
BHPian

Even after reading through this thread in entirety, I am still not able to decide if I should hang on to my Ford Fiesta Classic which is 7+ yrs as of today.
Of all these years of ownership, it has got me stranded only ONCE. That too for a part replacement I had a spare in the car and a booked appointment with my mechanic to get it replaced 2 days later. This is the famed gear lever bush that gave way when I was on the bypass at 70 kmph shifting down to 4th gear when the bush gave way.
Long story short, I was back on the road within 30 mins of this incident.

Barring this one, the car has been trouble free in my ownership so far.
  • Drives well
  • Chills well
  • Rides well
  • Is spotless
  • Titanium trim - has ABS and 2 airbags among other things - decently kitted I'd say.
  • No major (or minor) work pending.

I still feel the urge to upgrade (pre-worshipped mostly) because
  • The car is extremely underpowered - 68 bhp for a 1200 kg car. Makes it quite lethargic on the roads. PS - I tried with RaceDynamics and that ended up creating a problem with one of the injectors - had to remove.
    100 KMPH is at about 2800 RPM - and you need to work the gears to stay in the band.
  • Taking it out on the highways, you cannot ignore the lack of comfort and under-thigh support.
  • NVH - not the best - the clatter is loud enough to bother and drain you out.
  • Fact that it is a discontinued model - resale value is already hovering around 2 lacs or less - for a spotless, non-accidental car.
  • Scrapes at most speedbreakers - not really bad road friendly

The only reason why I'm not able to take the plunge to buy another car - used or new - is the fact that the car is in top shape and has no major work pending.
But at the same time, I have my mind wandering on the points listed above.
Old 14th July 2021, 07:24   #140
BHPian

I think the spirit of this thread revolves around keeping a car that you own and love to drive. For example a nice German car which is getting old in the tooth yet runs fine, but is nearing the age/mileage when certain expensive components have been known to fail, leading to costly repairs.
Keep your car and fork out a lac or more for returning her back to her pristine glory or let her go and pay a king’s ransom on another German princess, is the dilemma this thread tries to make sense off.

On the other hand if your car isn’t fun to drive, or is notoriously unreliable to the point you quake in fear at the thought of driving solo into the Himalayas or some other desolate and unforgiving locale where a breakdown could potentially lead to a life or death situation, the answer is clear get rid of it!
It’s past it’s prime and not worth the headache. After all we’re all automobile aficionados here and wouldn’t want to own a car that ceases to bring joy to you every time you fire her up!
ValuableRecluse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 08:08   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
The only reason why I'm not able to take the plunge to buy another car - used or new - is the fact that the car is in top shape and has no major work pending.
I always believe that Cars are more of a luxury spend once your basic mobility requirements are met. Yes, we can continue to pick shortcomings or lack of things in our existing rides but there’s never an end. Whatever car you dream, there will be multiple others beating it in comfort, speed and safety.

It’s all about the money. If you have enough liquidity or otherwise don’t bother about the outflow, go ahead and buy. New car is always going to be better.

But if you have some other plans and this money can help you elsewhere, refresh your car a bit. Give it new seat covers, better mats and maybe a nicer Audio but keep a strict budget as whatever you will be spending will be zero if you decide to sell.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th July 2021 at 08:31.
Turbanator is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 12:38   #142

Actually, I am in similar position with my Honda City (2009). One part of me wants to keep it because it gave us nothing but comfort and it is also automatic and I live in Mumbai so the comfort of driving is mind blowing. I am in a dilemma now whether to keep it or sell it. I had got her checked up at a mechanic (one of my dad's friend's mechanics from whom we purchased this car). Now, the car has run almost 96,500km and we bought it at 90,000km. It has only run 6,500km in 4 years (1000km in the last 3 months because I have started driving now). He (the mechanic) quoted 60k for the following repairs:
  • Brake Liner
  • Brake Pads
  • Engine Mounting
  • Front and Rear Suspension
  • Wheel Bearings
Please note that even the tires need to be replaced that is another 25k bringing the total to 85k. The running is mostly in the city and is going to drop again soon because I'll be moving to college. We also have purchased an Ecosport from the same friend from whom this City was purchased. Does it make sense to keep two cars (financially) because then the running will drop to barely 100km in a month (Ola/Uber is better I guess). While thinking and trying what to do I got confused even more and that is why I am posting this.
skillaft is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 13:05   #143
BHPian

I am still owning my Linea MJD and have spent quite a bit on its maintenance. Still I feel it is a value for money. In the event I sell this car, I would be getting only a scrap value. Added none of the cars that I will buy to replace the MJD will be as comfortable as this car. I will be retaining this car post 15 years as well (kind of vintage holding) - I am not sure if I would be able to renew the FC due to stringent emissions.

So my views - even in the event you may have to spend to maintain your old car, it makes sense as purchase of any new car would be quite an expensive one.
Old 15th July 2021, 12:47   #144
BHPian

I own a July 2010 Chennai registered Silver Maruti Swift ZXi ABS, which was brought to Hyderabad on a N.O.C. ( not yet registered in Hyderabad ) in 2013. Last year while driving to Bangalore, the car suddenly jumped on an unmarked speed breaker. At the time there was no apparent damage. After returning, I got it checked up thoroughly and was told that the master booster brake assembly had to be changed, as a result of this jump, costing about 40K. The odo has done only 31000 KMs and the tyres are in great shape, having changed all of them over the last 2 years ( the stepney is still un-used in brand new condition ). I have got the Chennai N.O.C. updated and am in the process of getting it registered in Hyderabad, costing almost 40K. There is no accident at all, the body is in great shape ( needs just light paint touch ups for very minor scratches ), without any corrosion and the car drives in excellent condition with mileage of over 18 KMs with the AC ON. I have not yet got the brake assembly changed. The car has been driven very sparingly and I am in two minds whether to sell it or get the repairs done ( without changing this Master / Booster also the brakes work fine ). The insurance is uptodate and the battery was changed just 2 months back. Any suggestions from experienced BHPians..?
Old 16th July 2021, 16:25   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaircargo View Post
Last year while driving to Bangalore, the car suddenly jumped on an unmarked speed breaker. I got it checked up thoroughly and was told that the master booster brake assembly had to be changed, as a result of this jump, costing about 40K. The car has been driven very sparingly and I am in two minds whether to sell it or get the repairs done
There is no need for you to change the booster or the tandem master cylinder(TMC). Booster needs replacement only if the servo assist isn't good (brake pedal feels hard even after engine has started and vacuum assist is on). Master cylinder needs replacement only in extreme circumstances when changing the rubber kit doesn't result in oozing getting fixed and as a consequence, the TMC doesn't generate the required hydraulic pressure to actuate the brakes, and that results in excessive brake pedal travel.

With brake systems, the only preventive maintenance is to change the brake fluid every 2 years unfailingly.

If I were you, I'd not part with this car at all until you're bored. A Swift Zxi is a rare commodity, and a 31,000km done example, even rarer.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 16:55   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even after reading through this thread in entirety, I am still not able to decide if I should hang on to my Ford Fiesta Classic which is 7+ yrs as of today.
If I were you, I would surely try to retain this one.

Quote:
But at the same time, I have my mind wandering on the points listed above.
And all of those points seem very valid.

Yet the ethos of this thread, as many have said, is not to sell out just because you are looking at a repair bill. And by that extension, you should also keep yours.

However, have you considered an addition to your garage, to help you relive the joy that you would have got when you first purchased the Fiesta back then?
Old 16th July 2021, 17:10   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaircargo View Post
.........After returning, I got it checked up thoroughly and was told that the master booster brake assembly had to be changed, as a result of this jump, costing about 40K. .........
The service center is selling you a load of bull**** .They are just trying to con you by making you think that brake booster is damaged due to the jump. At most some suspension components may be affected. But nothing related to brakes should be impacted.

If you are not facing any issues with braking, just ignore. Brake boosters do not go bad so easily. Get you brakes bled and fresh brake fluid filled if not done for over 3 years.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:17   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I always believe that Cars are more of a luxury spend once your basic mobility requirements are met. Yes, we can continue to pick shortcomings or lack of things in our existing rides but there’s never an end. Whatever car you dream, there will be multiple others beating it in comfort, speed and safety.

It’s all about the money. If you have enough liquidity or otherwise don’t bother about the outflow, go ahead and buy. New car is always going to be better.
That's quite true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
But if you have some other plans and this money can help you elsewhere, refresh your car a bit. Give it new seat covers, better mats and maybe a nicer Audio but keep a strict budget as whatever you will be spending will be zero if you decide to sell.
I've already done all of that you said

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
If I were you, I would surely try to retain this one.
... you should also keep yours.
However, have you considered an addition to your garage, to help you relive the joy that you would have got when you first purchased the Fiesta back then?
I already have a Grand i10 auto in my garage. Definitely don't need a 3rd car.
How much ever I try to make up my mind to retain this one, the discomfort it gives me and my family over long drives creeps back in with the underpowered nature.
Agree that its a paid off car and has no expense pending at this point, you still urge to have better and provide better for your family, don't you!?

Last edited by adneeraj : 16th July 2021 at 18:23.
Old 9th August 2021, 00:26   #149
BHPian

Quote:
That's quite true

I've already done all of that you said

I already have a Grand i10 auto in my garage. Definitely don't need a 3rd car.
How much ever I try to make up my mind to retain this one, the discomfort it gives me and my family over long drives creeps back in with the underpowered nature.
Agree that its a paid off car and has no expense pending at this point, you still urge to have better and provide better for your family, don't you!?
If I were you, I’d keep the fiesta, get it detailed and fix any issues it might have. Sell the i10 if you hate it so much, it’s anyway unsafe on highways with family given the lack of safety equipment (no ESP, only 2 airbags, no seatbelt pretensioners, etc). You’ll get better resale for it compared to the fiesta, put in 2-2.5L and pick up a 2011-12 Accord or Camry, will be much better on highways with family, will have adequate power and better stability and safety. Cheers.
Old 9th December 2021, 00:56   #150
BHPian

My family owns a second-hand 2010 Honda City. We bought the car in 2019 when the ODO was around 68k kms and now the ODO stands at 87k kms. Within a span of two years we have done close to 20k kms which is mostly 80% long-rides with my family and 20% city-driving. The i-Vtec engine is flawless and has not given any issues till date. But there were a lot of mechanical problems which started to arise slowly. We have replaced 3 out of 4 wheel bearings (NSK) , front & rear suspensions (Monroe), ball joints, tie rod, clutch assembly and a new set of Goodyear DP series tyres about 3 months ago and it was back to normal. The service was done by a FNG and he charged just Rs.6000 as labour! IMO, this is very much cheap than what Honda quoted me for the same service. But a week ago due to heavy rains in Chennai, when I went to grocery shopping I noticed that the boot was filled up with water and I got to know that the there was rust forming between the rear windshield and boot lining. Had to spend another Rs.8k for the fix. The service technician also informed me there is rust forming around all the four doors and to fix it, it would cost Rs.5000/door. Now I'm really confused whether I should fix this and run the car for another 50k + kms or sell if off and buy a new one? FYI: I'm the third owner. In case I plan to sell my car, I doubt that the resale value would be very bad.

Please feel free to leave any suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks