Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2023, 21:25   #166
BHPian

Re: [Need Advice] Exchanging my Honda Amaze 2018 Model Manual Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g33kyf3m View Post
I am yet to visit Kia and Tata showroom. If you were in my position, what car would you choose and why?
I'm in your shoes exactly - I'm coming from 2015 Amaze Diesel MT - and I have booked Kia Sonet D AT HTX. It has all the bells and whistles, active safety features etc. - but above everything, the Diesel Automatic is exceptional (I needed an AT). Don't get the WGT Diesel Manual, get Venue if you need a diesel manual, which will be now the same as the D AT engine that's shared across Seltos/Creta/Alcazar etc.

Honestly, no other diesel engine offers as much NVH and fun to drive quotient in this price bracket.

Last edited by epiccross : 6th February 2023 at 21:27.
Old 5th July 2023, 08:12   #167

Re: Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• You've used it for more than 150,000 - 200,000 kms or 7 - 10 years. If lower than that, read this thread.
WaW! This is an interesting thread. Somewhat for the same reasons, I am still keeping my 18 year old Swift Vxi which I bought as 4 years old with 40,000 KM on odo.

The cost of maintenance for first 60,000 KM ( i.e., until 1 lakh KM on Odo): Rs. 1,66,500 (spread across 6 years)

The cost of maintenance for the next 43,000-50,000 KM (i.e. 1,43,000 on Odo): Rs. 2,67,311 (spread across 8 years, hoping it wouldn't require any more major maintenance until 1,50,000 except may be front suspension bushes )

Expenses from 40K KM to 100K KM

Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!-expensestill1lakhkm.jpg

Expenses from 100K KM to 143(150)K KM

Want to sell your car because of repairs? Think again!-expensestill143k.jpg

Two things that are noteworthy are, 1) Frequent visits to ASC or FNG 2) Dilemma to fix/replace every time.

The major expenses were:

1. Replace A/c compressor
2. Replace steering column
3. Replace steering rack and EPS module (both from used parts market)

Not costly but peculiar issues faced:

1. Cabin light switch
2. Metal tip with spring on the top of the hand brake
3. Motor replacement for windshield washer (cost of motor Rs.300+, cost of labor Rs.500+)
4. Passenger side window glass replaced as it ad scratches that were obstructing visibility of ORVM
5. Rubber cover for the accelerator pedal (Rs.10. ASC could not get it, later I got from Boodmo).
6. Fog lamp cover fell somewhere on one side. (ASC not shown interest to order)
7. Oxygen sensor
8) Wheel bearing for one of the wheels

I had renewed the RC in March 2021 so it got validity till March 2026 (nearly another 3 years).

I have itch for the following:

A) Upgrade to smoother tyres like Conti. Currently I have MRF ZVT.
B) Upgrade to 15" or 16" alloys from current 14" steel rims (less likely to upgrade)
C) Ventilated seats from Amazon ( ~Rs.3K)
D) ARC suspension shocks (Rs.32.5 K for whole set. Can I do it only for front?)

Missing out handy features:
i) Reverse parking camera/sensors (Rs. 10K?)
ii) Head lights upgrade (Rs. 10K?)

In the last 8 years, it has been used mainly as city driver with occasional highway trips. In the last 1 year, it is also serving as backup car when my Passat has to stay longer in workshops. That comes to an average of 5K KM a year.

Please share your thoughts!
Old 6th July 2023, 16:11   #168
BHPian

Toyota Corolla Altis AC gone Kaput - whether to fix AC or to Replace the car?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2011 Toyota Corolla Altis D4DG. I had bought this car pre-owned in 2018 and it has been a joy to drive since then, except for the occassional.issues with the AC.

A couple of days ago the Car's AC has stopped cooling suddenly. I took her to the showroom and on keeping the car for three days, they confirmed that the Car's Expansion Valve, Condensor and the compressor has gone bad. They gave me a quote of Rs. 1,02,096. I didnt find this affordable, so I asked a FNG, who opened his workshop after leaving this Toyota Showroom. He said, without inspecting my car, since he still has contacts with the showroom and knows my car well, has suggested for the replacement of the above mentioned parts along with the cooling coil. He has given me a quote of Rs. 52000 for replacement Denso parts. (Compressor Rs. 32500, condensor Rs. 8500, Expansion Valve Rs. 4500 and Cooling coil Rs. 6500 along with labour of Rs. 4000).

Now I am wondering whether it is worthwhile to get the AC repaired or whether it will be better to replace the car.

This is my first car and I am.absolutely find of it. However, I am not sure whether it will be worthwhile to spend such a huge amount on a 12 years old car.

I live in Aurangabad, and have contacted the showroom and FNG here, so these are the repair costs that I have got.

I request the members here to kindly guide me if I should get the car repaired or go for a new car.

Are these parts quoted for the car reasonable? I can't find the compressor on boodmo, so can't say.

MODS: if I have posted in the wrong thread, request you to kindly move my post.

Thank you.

Last edited by pareekvirendra : 6th July 2023 at 16:12. Reason: Fixed a typing error in the title.
Old 8th July 2023, 22:47   #169
BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis AC gone Kaput - whether to fix AC or to Replace the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
Hello Everyone,

Are these parts quoted for the car reasonable? I can't find the compressor on boodmo, so can't say.

MODS: if I have posted in the wrong thread, request you to kindly move my post.

Thank you.
I had a similar experience with my Kizashi back in 2019 when my AC stopped working. Maruti service centre quoted Rs. 1.75 lacs for an entire AC system replacement. I showed it to an FNG (recommended by a bhpian only). He just changed the faulty part in the compressor (a spark plug like part), did a AC service, filled gas and everything started working for a mere Rs. 6.5k. So my suggestion take a second opinion and show it to another AC guy.
TB16 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 10:53   #170
BANNED

What is a reasonable amount of annual expenditure on maintaining a 16 year old car which originally cost around 5.5 Lakhs ?

The car isn't used much - 3000 odd kms a year but the car is needed - i.e. can't go without the car.

The car has totally done around 90,000 kms.

A lot of money was spent last year - may be 25K to 30K mainly because of renewing the registration & other minor repairs.

Work required currently.

- Some body work is required to make it look better (may be 20K to 30K). This isn't urgent.

- The assembly & motor for the automatic windows need to be replaced. Not sure but it would cost around 3K to 5K, I think.

- All lights need to be replaced, they have become extremely dim & practically useless at night.

- All tyres may need to be replaced.

Other work done in the recent years

- The automatic steering was replaced around at around 8K to 10K 2 years back.

- The suspension was overhauled around 4-5 years back.

- The clutch was replaced twice over 16 years, the last time being 6-7 years back

Do you guys think it's worth keeping or should it be replaced with a new car?

Last edited by carboy : 20th August 2023 at 10:54.
Old 20th August 2023, 11:33   #171
Senior - BHPian

Tata Vista Quadrajet VX 2011 Dec model.
Total kms: 2,08,000

Replacements:
Clutch - @ 1,70,000 kms
Master & Slave cylinders - Twice.
Timing Chain Kit - Twice
AC Condensor - Once (hit a rock)
Shock absorbers: Front @ 2,07,000 kms.
Engine Mount: One @ 2,07,000 kms.
Ball joints: Due for a second change.
Battery: Twice
Fuel tank pump: Once @ 2,05,000 kms
Upholstery: @ 1,97,000 kms.
Tyres: 4th set.
Front windshield: Once. Cracked overnight in parking.

Other minor replacements.

Have spent close to 1.5L in the last year and a half, including the tyres and upholstery and the recent timing chain, front shock absorbers.

Needs new ball joints and probably the lower arm or tie rod to be replaced. Thanks to our notorious craters. The body shows its scars due to many drives into off-road territory and a couple of minor mishaps. But it's holding well and still no squeaks from it. It's still fun to drive and keeps pace with all cars and is a hoot over minor potholes and rumbler strips.

Ideally, I would hold on to it for a few more years.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 19:05   #172
BHPian

I haven't seen this thread earlier but I have a pretty similar experience. My Swift Dzire is 10 yrs old and in good condition. Only 26k done.
Was values at 3.4 lakhs from True Value in Feb 23 but didn't sell

Come November, and seeing everyone upgrading their car and my car shaking a lot I was in two minds of going for new car. But then thought since I no longer need to drive to office and long drives are stopped due to health reasons, what's the point of buying new car and lying idle. Let's revisit after 1-2 years based on my requirements then.

So I gave for repair with with some fixes, primarily engine mount the car is driving smooth. So with small expense of 15K, my needs are served.
Old 7th February 2024, 10:44   #173
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I own a 2015 Skoda Rapid TDi DSG. It is now in the 9th year of ownership.
Current ODO - 39,000 kms

Recently on cold start, I am observing clutch noise or jerk when upshifting from D1 to D2 and D2 to D3. No noise observed during downshifts.

I am thinking some DSG related work either the multi clutch or the mechatronics will give up in the upcoming months.

I drive to office 3 days a week, round trip of 15-20 kms. So effectively 60-80kms per week.

Should I get the repair done from Skoda if and when the DSG fails or should I sell the car and upgrade to something better ?

Based on what I read on the forum, DSG repair bill typically is around 1 lac to 2 lacs.
IDV of the car is 4.5 Lacs

Please advise.

Replacements done till date :
Full suspension overhaul in 2022 with new parts end to end ~ INR 50,000
Alternator Replaced in 2023 - Rs 11,000
Tires replaced in 2022 - Rs 28,000

Last edited by F150 : 7th February 2024 at 10:45.
Old 14th February 2024, 10:33   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I own a 2015 Skoda Rapid TDi DSG. It is now in the 9th year of ownership.
Current ODO - 39,000 kms

Recently on cold start, I am observing clutch noise or jerk when upshifting from D1 to D2 and D2 to D3. No noise observed during downshifts.

Should I get the repair done from Skoda if and when the DSG fails or should I sell the car and upgrade to something better ?
I have a 2013 Jetta DSG with 70k on the odo. These cars are priceless. Even today it is an absolute pleasure to drive, I cannot bear the thought of having to replace it.

My personal suggestion as a non-expert and someone who has avoided DSG repairs till date. Pls get it checked and don’t be in a hurry to replace the car solely on this count. You should replace only if it is persistently problematic or if you have lost the fancy for the car and want to upgrade. I have had to do running maintenance work on the Jetta (compressor, ABS sensors, fuel pump, etc) that has set me back by 1.5 lakh. In my case always used the authorised service even though I have another FNG who I can rely on. It is still worth it and runs like a dream.

Only other suggestion… if you know the car requires repairs, get it checked first before running it. Don’t want it to unexpectedly give up on you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks