Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2017, 22:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Transmission Control Module replaced under warranty at 26,162 km

From what I've read on T-BHP and else where, looks like a DCT/DSG needs to be pussyfooted and even then one doesn't know when it will pull a fast one on the owner/driver! Has anyone driven a DCT/DSG to Ladakh/Leh and back?! That would sure be a test as to whether it's durable or not! Looks like when one buys this transmission and then keeps fingers crossed hoping it doesn't fail. But I agree it's deceptively smooth till it fails!!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th April 2017 at 22:43.
Old 6th April 2017, 23:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Transmission Control Module replaced under warranty at 26,162 km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Has anyone driven a DCT/DSG to Ladakh/Leh and back?!
I remember Anshuman did on a Laura DSG, there's a travelogue on it as well. Not sure which gearbox it has though.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 23:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Was hoping that Ford's DCT will be more reliable than VW's DSG. But it's been a headache for owners & Ford alike. In the USA, Ford has gone through a lot of trouble with the DCT.
I am in the market for a second hand car. Hoping to upgrade at a low cost. I live in Bhopal and the roads are BADDD! I needed a high GC and hence thought that a DCT Ford Ecosport fitted best.
This thread has scared me.
What should I do? I want a very reliable CVT/DCT car (no TC) with a good GC and suspension. Should I look at City CVT/Corolla CVT instead?
Can you also help with second hand cars in Mumbai? I mean knowing a good dealer mechanic who usually helps people pick up a good piece? You can pm me!
Old 11th December 2017, 00:06   #34
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol AT - TCM failure (Transmission Control Module of Automatic transmission/ dual clutch 6-speed automated gear box [Ford PowerShift DCT]) - replaced under Extended Warranty - 26,162 Kilometers on the Odometer - EcoSport AT less than 3 years old.
Oh man, I was just going to take a used Aspire DCT delivery day after tomorrow. Please provide your feedback on how the transmission is holding up now.
Old 14th December 2017, 15:36   #35
BHPian

Here's the update you requested, on another thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-review-9.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Got our EcoSport AT back from Chennai Ford today after almost a months stay at their Arumbakkam workshop.

Couple of days after the previous problem, the car did not move when the reverse gear was engaged, and so took it back to the work shop.

End of 1st week they said they could not diagnose the problem.

End of 2nd week they said rats have bitten some wires and they are changing them.

End of 3rd week they said they are changing some more parts as there were some short circuits due to the rat bite problem.

End of 4th week they said vehicle was being road tested extensively and everything looks good.

Today they delivered the EcoSport and gave a 18k discount on the bill on my repeated requests, and I paid a little over 61k for the repairs. Thanks to them for the discount (not sure if it is correct to name the Chennai Ford staff who helped).

They gave only a receipt for the amount paid, and said will provide a detailed itemized bill in a few days after getting it approved by Ford India.

On inspecting during delivery I found out that the boot was not opening and the gear knob rubber/ plastic had been damaged. They took the car back to the workshop and brought it back after about an hour after rectifying the boot opening.

They promised to replace in a few days the gear knob rubber/ plastic that had been damaged during the vehicle's stay in their workshop.

Hoping they keep their word on replacing the part that was damaged in their workshop.
Old 26th February 2018, 20:12   #36

My wife's 2014 auto ecosport at 23000 km suddenly lost power and had to be flatbedded to the dealer in Goa who replaced the module under warranty.

Last month when it had done 80000 km and was out of warranty, the transmission started jerking and dealer said the whole transmission needed replacing..cost? 80000/-. After lots of discussions they agreed that I pay 20K and they'll manage the rest. Relieved at saving 60K, we didn't argue too much,but after reading this thread I feel I should have stood my ground for a full replacement.

The nets full of how their auto transmission is prone to failure in the 2010 - 2016 models and they should have changed it free. I suspect that the dealer Caculo Ford actually got it replaced but charged me anyways. I am writing Ford India about this and will post here any reply from them.

I don't think it's worth keeping this car and am not convinced by the theory that it's cheaper to replace parts than going through the depreciation hit.. four years and 90k I think is good enough!

I understand that the new ecosport has a different type of automatic clutch...any thoughts anyone?
Old 26th February 2018, 20:19   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinhead View Post
My wife's 2014 auto ecosport at 23000 km suddenly lost power and had to be flatbedded to the dealer in Goa who replaced the module under warranty.
My EcoSport went through the 20k service last week, at 20 months. I have to admit, there is a cloud of uncertainty in my head regarding the reliability of the DCT box.

When I complained of the famous 2nd gear shudder, the SA mentioned there was a FSA from Ford for the AT. Post that, there is a slight but at times, noticeable improvement.

I have the 2+2 EW and I don't know what I'll do once it expires. A shame because it is a brilliant car otherwise.

Quote:
I understand that the new ecosport has a different type of automatic clutch...any thoughts anyone?
Yep; it is now a TC box. Much better suited to Indian driving conditions.
Old 1st October 2019, 16:53   #38

My EcoSport which is of 2014 has run very less about 18000 kms till date. I am looking after it for my sister who is away on a long term assignment abroad. Having gone through various DCT related issues on the Fiesta and the EcoSport thread I was very apprehensive about taking the car for long drives especially to areas with lesser density of service centers. In 2017 the car had a battery replacement outside the service center post which the Transmission Malfunction display popped up. Upon giving the car to the service center the MODULE WAS NOT REPLACED but they flashed a new update which they said would take care of the transmission related error as it was due to the battery change. So any DCT owners should first check with the service center for a possible new battery related false error than giving up on the car. It has now been running very smoothly for the past 2 years and has done around 8000 kms after that. Hoping for more years of a smooth ownership.
Old 17th January 2020, 18:11   #39

Hi Friends,
Want to share with you all a harrowing experience I had during a service visit recently.
Before I proceed, would like to give a brief background. I had purchased a Diesel Ecosport (Titanium) in June 2014, after a 6 month waiting period. Fully satisfied with the performance and maintenance cost, I recommended the same to a couple of friends, who too became proud owners of a Ford.
Then, in Jan 2018, I was looking for an automatic car and relying on the faith Ford had managed to develop in our minds over last 4 years, I bought an Automatic Ecosport Petrol. (infact we purchased 2 of them together in the family). The diesel has run 77k kms, without any issues and the newer Petrol AT is below 20k kms as of now.
On Sunday, the 5th Jan 2020, I went for the scheduled 20,000 km service of the Petrol AT model to Harpreet Ford Service Station, Jehangirpuri, New Delhi. We have been regular visitors to this service station and the staff, Rakesh Saini, Kuldeep Arya and Fateh Singh are all very cooperative and courteous.
However, this time the experience was very different and literally has shaken me.
Like always, I visited the online service cost estimator and get an estimate of 5300/- including 699/- for brake fluid.
The service advisor, on arrival at 9.20 AM, gave an estimate of 8000 plus. I questioned regarding the breakup, and he informed me about Brake System bleeding and Throttle Body Cleaning, which were not there in the estimate generated on-line. When I asked if these are recommended on 20,000 kms by Ford, he readily deleted the two items.
Then, he informed me of a FSA issued by Ford in Oct 2019, whereby all vehicles (AT) manufactured from 2012 to Aug 2017, had to undergo a clutch housing rework, and some “O Ring” needed to be put in, to which I had no option, but to agree.
The Engine oil, Oil filter were changed and some routine things done, thereafter I was informed that everything has been done and vehicle was to go for washing.
At this point the nightmare started. The vehicle failed to move either forward or backward, despite engaging the gear lever in D, R, S position and RPM being pushed to 4000-5000 range. The team told me that after FSA, some reprogramming needs to be done. They attached a laptop and some device to the OBD port and repetitively checked – the error message showing on the screen was “Clutch Travel Time Test – FAILED” and “Clutch B stuck”
Several attempts were made, but it failed to budge. Then the “O Ring” put in the clutch housing (at the bottom of the hood) was removed. Still, the vehicle did not move. From 9.20 AM, we were at 1.30 PM now. Then, a similar part accessible from the top side of the engine (it is dual clutch system) was removed, and refixed. This time the vehicle moved a bit on increasing the RPM, but the pickup was far too low. And the diagnostics software showed “Clutch Travel Time Test – FAILED” and “Clutch A stuck”. The team tried their best till 3.30 PM, post which they asked me to leave the vehicle, saying they would have to open the entire transmission and locate the fault. They also informed me that an Engineer from Ford Technical support was scheduled to come on Monday, 6th Jan to the workshop, and they would ask him to diagnose the issue. I had no choice. I did not hear from them till the evening.

On Monday, 6th Jan 2020, I called the service advisor around 10.00 AM and was informed that they are going to try changing the TCM (Transmission Control Module) and he would inform me the status. There was no revert till 3.00 PM despite several calls. Then one of my calls was answered and I was told that the vehicle is running now, and was about to be taken for a test drive on the nearby Delhi-Sonepat Highway. The service advisor, on being asked, informed me that no parts have been changed and the TCM and Clutch housing etc., everything is the same/ original. The vehicle was dropped at my house around 7.00 PM.
The concerns –
1. I am still not aware what had gone wrong?
2. How the vehicle started moving again – Just by luck?
3. Whether the O ring is there or not, now?
4. Whether the entire transmission has been opened to fix the fault?
5. Whether the Ford Engineer really saw the vehicle or it was just a story?
6. If any parts have been changed and substituted with some used parts, just to get the vehicle moving?
The pick-up and smoothness are lesser that what was there before this incident.
In short, the vehicle is no more a sealed, all original, single hand, reliable work horse anymore. Throughout my drive to my office now – 70kms daily, I have a tension in my mind – whether the vehicle is reliable any more or not. Whether, it will get stuck on the highway. Whether all parts, nuts, bolts are tightened to the factory level or not. Whether some used part has been replaced inside…..etc…etc….
And now for the smaller (but troublesome) issues –
1. The attempt by service advisor to include brake bleeding and throttle body cleaning, even though these 2 items are not on Ford’s service cost estimator tool.
2. The petrol tank was at half level when I had given the vehicle and little above the red portion when I got it, a lot of fuel had been wasted in the checking (idling RPM to disengage the stuck gear/clutch)
3. The final bill told to me on phone included an amount for brake fluid, while it was never changed. It is unethical to skip brake fluid change (recommended by Ford in service cost estimate tool) because I had mentioned that Brake bleeding was there in the estimator tool. This amount was removed when I mentioned that no fluid has been changed. Hope, it will not affect the performance, safety and warranty of the vehicle.
All in all, it was a really bad experience for me after the 6 trouble free years of ownership of 2 Ford vehicle (and several others in family and extended family).
I wrote a mail to Ford Customer Service, explaining the whole thing. They did respond and post checking with the dealer, called me up with a bigger surprise. They told me that along with the FSA and routine service, as per service centre records, a door latch had been changed under warranty (the vehicle is under a 3-year warranty). I had no issues with any door and had not even mentioned any door related concern ever…..God knows whom they used the part for…..after claiming it from FORD.
The matter is still Work in progress. The concerned Service Advisor has called up twice apologizing for the whole episode. Please share your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport 1.5L AT: Transmission Control Module replaced under warranty at 26,162 km-ecosport-clutch-copy.jpg  

Old 20th January 2020, 13:15   #40

Could some member please share the mail IDs of senior team at FORD, where the matter can be escalated. The Customer Care team has been kind enough to quote an incorrect Vehicle Number, Chassis Number in response to my mail and has the GM-Service of Harpreet Ford aligned to say that everything is fine with my car.
Old 1st November 2020, 13:22   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

My 2017 Ecosport DCT has started showing mild juddering sometimes at low speeds. It is like when the accelerator input is mild due to traffic and the car gets confused with the gearbox. It is similar to the judder that you get in a manual car when you start releasing the clutch but do not press the accelerator enough. Is this something I should worry about? From what I have read, this judder is normal for a DCT box but I just wanted to be safe since my car is still under warranty. It is only seen at low speeds, otherwise the car moves flawlessly.
Old 1st November 2020, 13:52   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
It is only seen at low speeds, otherwise the car moves flawlessly.
Is it similar to this? - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...sion-problems/ or this? - https://www.caradvice.com.au/570740/...-and-remedies/
Old 1st November 2020, 17:27   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Well I am not sure if the problem is that severe but my car is only occasionally juddering. The car is 99% of the time driven by my dad and this juddering started happening when I drove it once in a while in the last 1 month. First, I thought maybe it is something I am doing wrong as I am otherwise used to driving the diesel 320d and one tends to get accustomed to driving in a similar way. But now it happened a couple of times with my father driving it too, each time at low speeds as if the gearbox got confused in selecting the right gear. I would say it is similar to this post I found: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4038204 (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)

The member here too noticed slight juddering but did not think of it too seriously while Ford quietly replaced the module when his car went in for service. Luckily, my car is under warranty till 2022 and If this problem persists, I will rather dispose it of than live in constant fear.
Old 1st November 2020, 18:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Luckily, my car is under warranty till 2022 and If this problem persists, I will rather dispose it of than live in constant fear.
No matter what the cause of your troubles, may I please ask you to open a new thread for the benefit of all Ecosport DCT owners, as if I’m not mistaken, the other Ford DCT thread was for the Fiesta only.

As you have mentioned, things like this ruin the fuss free ownership experience, and sometimes it’s just better to rid yourself of the stress & worry, while you still can.
Old 1st November 2020, 19:04   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
No matter what the cause of your troubles, may I please ask you to open a new thread for the benefit of all Ecosport DCT owners, as if I’m not mistaken, the other Ford DCT thread was for the Fiesta only.
There is a thread already on it. I will request the mods to perhaps move these posts to that thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks