Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2023, 11:19   #196

Re: Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Don't forget that the battery should be disconnected from the vehicle electrical system.
Yes removed it from the car already!
Old 1st May 2023, 14:37   #197
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Has my charger gone kaput? When I connect it, it starts in blue light mode. Nothing happens on soft-pressing the center button. If I long press it, the green circle comes on, and that's it. Doesn't move into any 12v / AGM modes or anything. Just the green circle.

Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-20230501-10.08.51.jpg
Old 1st May 2023, 15:22   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Has my charger gone kaput? When I connect it, it starts in blue light mode. Nothing happens on soft-pressing the center button. If I long press it, the green circle comes on, and that's it. Doesn't move into any 12v / AGM modes or anything. Just the green circle.

Attachment 2445955
Haven't experienced this but try the following:

1. Check the fuse of the charger, it's located in the red connecting cable. (10 amp).
2. Try to charge another car battery.

The charger is rock solid IMO.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 18:50   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Attachment 2445955
Hi GTO !
Did you manage to solve the issue ? My charger started acting the same way this morning.
Old 16th May 2023, 13:58   #200
BHPian

Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-screenshot-20230516-135546.jpg

Check if battery voltage is below 7.5V. If yes try Regen mode.
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 17:15   #201
BHPian

Just a little off-topic to C7, seeking help for buying a battery charger. I am looking for a battery charger + trickle charger for motorcycle battery. I came across another model from Bosch which is C3. Anyone here using it? Is it capable for trickle charging the battery? I need a charger with trickle charging capability so need to be sure before purchasing.
Old 30th May 2023, 17:30   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh2M View Post
Just a little off-topic to C7, seeking help for buying a battery charger. I am looking for a battery charger + trickle charger for motorcycle battery. I came across another model from Bosch which is C3. Anyone here using it? Is it capable for trickle charging the battery? I need a charger with trickle charging capability so need to be sure before purchasing.
I am using this charger since last few years and it is a good investment. With regards to your query, as per the instruction manual (attached), this charger can be used for trickle charging; though my set up doesn't permit me to use this feature too much as I live in a multi storied building.

Page 6 of the manual states its trickle charging mode capability and page 8 states the procedure to set it up in such mode.

However, one negative of this charger is that if your car or 2-wheeler battery goes down below a certain threshold voltage, like 5-6 volts, then it will automatically detect it as a 6V battery and will cut off charging as soon as the battery voltage is around 6 volts. There is no way to manually override this programmed setting. At times, it has happened to me, esp in the COVID period, and to recover batteries from such conditions, I had to use an old battery charger to at least pump some charge in the super low batteries till 8V so that the C3 could identify it as a 12V battery and complete the charging process.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 91DC-WervtS.pdf (554.1 KB, 273 views)

Last edited by saket77 : 30th May 2023 at 17:32.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:03   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I am using this charger since last few years and it is a good investment. With regards to your query, as per the instruction manual (attached), this charger can be used for trickle charging; though my set up doesn't permit me to use this feature too much as I live in a multi storied building.

Page 6 of the manual states its trickle charging mode capability and page 8 states the procedure to set it up in such mode.
Thanks a lot for reply and PDF. I think this charger should fulfill my purpose.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th July 2023 at 12:14. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
aneesh2M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 16:54   #204
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Check the fuse of the charger, it's located in the red connecting cable. (10 amp).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aypatel View Post
Did you manage to solve the issue ? My charger started acting the same way this morning.
Androdev was spot-on (as usual). It was indeed the fuse. Changed and it's back to work .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 12:09   #205
BHPian

During July, Amazon Prime sale, I got it at a good price ~5K. Please advise, if it can be used to charge batteries across diesel cars, petrol cars, Interceptor and non-geared two-wheelers.
Old 17th July 2023, 12:34   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDIS_RE650 View Post
During July, Amazon Prime sale, I got it at a good price ~5K. Please advise, if it can be used to charge batteries across diesel cars, petrol cars, Interceptor and non-geared two-wheelers.
Yes it works for all. It doesn't matter what car or appliance you have. Charger only cares about battery type. In your case, all these vehicles must be having 12V flooded batteries. Some premium cars have 12V AGM batteries. Select the correct mode while charging, and you should be good to go.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 01:05   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Yes it works for all. It doesn't matter what car or appliance you have. Charger only cares about battery type. In your case, all these vehicles must be having 12V flooded batteries. Some premium cars have 12V AGM batteries. Select the correct mode while charging, and you should be good to go.
Does it depend upon Ah of the battery? Most scooters have 4-5 Ah but 12v battery. Can C7 be used to charge Activa battery with voltage fallen to 8.5 volts?
Old 31st August 2023, 09:11   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_lone View Post
Does it depend upon Ah of the battery? Most scooters have 4-5 Ah but 12v battery. Can C7 be used to charge Activa battery with voltage fallen to 8.5 volts?
As per the C7 charger user manual, it can be used with 12V battery capacity: 14Ah-230Ah. 12V battery voltage should be above 7.5V for it to charge.

Btw, C3 charger spec shows battery capacity range as 1.2Ah–120Ah.

Last edited by androdev : 31st August 2023 at 09:14.
Old 31st August 2023, 16:10   #209
BHPian

Quote:
As per the C7 charger user manual, it can be used with 12V battery capacity: 14Ah-230Ah. 12V battery voltage should be above 7.5V for it to charge.

Btw, C3 charger spec shows battery capacity range as 1.2Ah–120Ah.
I know this & voltage I understand it can detect. But can C7 also detect Ah value as well ???
Old 31st August 2023, 17:57   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

No, they don't detect Ah value. Based on the mode you select, it will output a certain combination of voltage and current. These voltage+current combinations are fixed and decided by the mode you select. You are responsible to select the correct mode based on the battery you are charging.

C7 has a single mode of 14.4V, 7A for 12V batteries

C3 has two modes of 14.4V, 0.8A and 14.7V, 3.8A for 12V batteries.

"Fast charging" is really bad for lead acid batteries. Based on what I read on the internet, charging current should be around 10% of Ah value for optimal charging (not too slow to waste your time, and not too fast to damage the battery)

C7: Excellent for 70Ah and above (10hr+ charging time),
Less optimal for 35Ah and lower (5hr- charging time, too fast)

C3: Excellent for 8Ah to 60Ah
Less optimal for 70Ah+ (too slow, 20hr+)
Less optimal for 4Ah- (too fast, 5hr-)

These are just ideal "ranges" - the specs suggest a far wider Ah ranges. C7 says 14Ah-230Ah and C3 says 1.2Ah-120Ah.

Last edited by androdev : 31st August 2023 at 18:00.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks