Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2022, 15:53   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi guys, just ordered the C7. Got it for 6k on amazon. Now I know that it will charge my punto's battery easily (using a 60ah) but will it be able to charge a Duke 390's battery which is 8ah. I understand C3 was specifically made for such uses but I bought the C7 as it will be future proof.

Can someone please clarify.

Thanks
Yes, it does. I have charged my Aprilia SR150's battery even with the C7.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 16:39   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yes, it does. I have charged my Aprilia SR150's battery even with the C7.
Perfect. Thanks a lot. I am sure it would work well.
Old 23rd June 2022, 20:40   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMN View Post
Does anyone know if its possible to purchase extras "Charging cable with cable lug" that comes with the C7? I would like to have them for each of my vehicle so that its easier to get them charged.
Were you able to get the extra Cable for use in different vehicles without taking them out? Please share link if you purchased online or pointer where to get them. Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 09:29   #169

Hello All

Attaching a catalog which details out the features and differences between the C3 and C7 chargers. It would appear that the C3 is sufficient for most use cases (e.g. high end cars upto 120Ah batteries), while the C7 may be indicated for higher Ah batteries e.g. in trucks.

bosch.pdf
acechat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 11:30   #170
BHPian

I ended up buying the C7 for 6571/- when I could have had it at around 4700/- earlier under various sales but then was not sure if I need it .

But need be need and bought it last week when my scooter battery died and due to being cold, kickstart was also a no go or would have taken longer. I used car at the moment and ordered it right away. My Wego is less used so will only change the battery if I am certain it has actually died.

C7 was connected to battery but went into trickle charge and did not provide any power even after 2 hours to provide enough juice. Then selected the Regen mode and left it to charge all night. Morning the battery was back to its power. Have been using the Wego for last 5 days and the battery seems to be doing its job well for the smaller errands the scooter is needed for.
Not sure if the C3 has this regen mode (I think not) so was better for me to go for C7 instead. Could have bought 5 batteries for the price of this charger but that itch was there to get it anyways and got a perfect opportunity to buy it. Will probably help more down the line.
vidyanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 11:18   #171
RMN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Were you able to get the extra Cable for use in different vehicles without taking them out? Please share link if you purchased online or pointer where to get them. Thanks
Nope, tried a lot but in vain! Looks like they are using a propriety socket and even BOSCH doesn't sell them separate

I ended up setting up a jugaad instead.
RMN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 18:22   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi guys, just ordered the C7. Got it for 6k on amazon. Now I know that it will charge my punto's battery easily (using a 60ah) but will it be able to charge a Duke 390's battery which is 8ah. I understand C3 was specifically made for such uses but I bought the C7 as it will be future proof.

Can someone please clarify.

Thanks
Hi Aditya,

Finally, did you charge your Duke using the C7? How much time did it take and did you observe anything peculiar, worth a mention here?

Regards,
Old 15th August 2022, 21:38   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Hi Aditya,

Finally, did you charge your Duke using the C7? How much time did it take and did you observe anything peculiar, worth a mention here?

Regards,
Hi Majumdarda,

Yes, the charger worked flawlessly with the duke. Nothing specific to mention as such. It took about 2 hours to fully recharge the battery.

Thanks
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 16:08   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure Bosch sold few extra units since I started this thread in 2017 :-) If I remember correctly, my S-Class had three battery changes between 2012 and 2017 and this charger put a stop to those frequent battery replacements.

Just wanted to share details about "quick connect" feature of this charger. I use this feature so that I don't have to open/shut the engine hood.

The quick-connector cable is permanently fixed to the battery terminals. I plug/unplug the charger block as and when necessary. The quick-connect plug has a rubber cap that makes it water-proof and remains hidden near the wiper area. The top-right location of the battery in the S-Class offers excellent opportunity to benefit from this technique.

Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-c7cables.png
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-c7terminalconnection.png
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-c7qc.jpeg
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-c7connection.jpeg

Porsche 911 battery is located in the centre and also it has a fancy battery cover. I use a CTEK charger with cigarette lighter socket - this would not be possible in cars that automatically turn off power to cigarette lighter socket. AFAIK, Bosch C7 doesn't come with a cigarette lighter attachment.

Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-ctek3.jpeg
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-ctek4.jpeg
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-ctek1.jpeg
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-ctek2.jpeg

This setup makes it very simple to connect/disconnect the charger and drive off.
androdev is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 19:04   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I'm sure Bosch sold few extra units since I started this thread in 2017 :-)
Sure

Quote:
Just wanted to share details about "quick connect" feature of this charger. I use this feature so that I don't have to open/shut the engine hood.
The problem with this Quick Connect is that the spare accessory is never available in case you own multiple cars although it has a seperate part number. That would have been a good implementation of this Quick Connect feature.
Bhpian @RMN did some Jugaad to overcome this. I also will stick to connecting it when needed. But luckily had to use only once to charge my scooty battery (which is actually difficult than the car to connect to).

Last edited by vidyanand : 9th September 2022 at 19:20.
vidyanand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 18:38   #176
Senior - BHPian

I drive about 50-70 kms a day, but mostly in traffic and about 5-10 kms per trip. Was thinking of buying a charger and looking at the C3 and C7. Not sure which would be good for me. And should the auxiliary battery be charged separately or does it charge automatically?(2015 Merc B class on Original batteries).

Also the charger has to be connected to the battery or to the jump start points?
Old 25th September 2022, 04:44   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I drive about 50-70 kms a day, but mostly in traffic and about 5-10 kms per trip. Was thinking of buying a charger and looking at the C3 and C7. Not sure which would be good for me. And should the auxiliary battery be charged separately or does it charge automatically?(2015 Merc B class on Original batteries).

Also the charger has to be connected to the battery or to the jump start points?
Are the jump start points different from from the usual positive and negative terminals of the battery?
Old 26th September 2022, 00:07   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narendranath View Post
Are the jump start points different from from the usual positive and negative terminals of the battery?
Yes they are. In most Mercs I think.
Old 20th October 2022, 13:40   #179
sgm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narendranath View Post
Quote:
I'm sure Bosch sold few extra units since I started this thread in 2017 :-)

This setup makes it very simple to connect/disconnect the charger and drive off.
@androdev, you have inspired many and still inspiring more, giving a lot of business to Bosch

Looking at the pictures from you, the charger is connected to the battery terminals. Am I right ?
sgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 17:20   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm View Post

Looking at the pictures from you, the charger is connected to the battery terminals. Am I right ?
Yes, quick connect part of the charger is connected to the battery terminals directly. I used an additional nut to connect to the terminal without having to remove the existing nut to avoid any risk of disrupting the battery power. This will allow me to safely fix or remove this connector if required.

I should mention that Mercedes-Benz hood needs to be slammed shut which I am not a fan of. With most other brands, you can gently lower the hood all the way down and then do a final push to engage the lock. The mechanism used by MB is needlessly complex and loud not sure why. I wanted to avoid the circus by using this quick connector.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks