Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 13:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Do I have to disconnect the car terminals before I charge or can I connect it as it is? (I don't want my car electrical system to be damaged).
You can connect as-is and for as long as you wish. You can remove the clamps and permanently connect the ring terminals to battery terminals. And then you can use quick-connect feature without opening the hood.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 14:01   #47
BHPian

Hi Androdev,
Do you know of any connector that can connect to C7 and act as cigratte lighter socket, some thing like CTek Comfort connector cig socket https://smartercharger.com/accessori...t%20Cig-socket ? I have this on my R1200GSA but not able to find any connector which I can use. Ctek connectors are not compatible with bosch C7 connector.

-Pramod
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You can connect as-is and for as long as you wish. You can remove the clamps and permanently connect the ring terminals to battery terminals. And then you can use quick-connect feature without opening the hood.
Old 9th October 2017, 14:42   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Do you know of any connector that can connect to C7 and act as cigratte lighter socket, some thing like CTek Comfort connector cig socket
Bosch doesn't make these accessories. That's a CTEK system feature and they are a deliberate proprietary design. You will need to use the supplied clamps or eyelet connector to charge the battery.

Of course necessity is the mother of invention. If one can obtain a spare connector from Bosch India and solder it to a (fe)male cigarette lighter plug that may serve your needs.

EDIT: My bad, I see its for your BMW bike, not a car. So I guess the ignition switch setting is a moot point. Also, if you purchased the cigarette lighter socket connector what charger did you intend using it with?

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th October 2017 at 15:08. Reason: EDIT
Old 9th October 2017, 15:00   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Androdev,
Do you know of any connector that can connect to C7 and act as cigratte lighter socket, some thing like CTek Comfort connector cig socket https://smartercharger.com/accessori...t%20Cig-socket ? I have this on my R1200GSA but not able to find any connector which I can use. Ctek connectors are not compatible with bosch C7 connector.

-Pramod
I am confused, what do you have on the bike already and what do you want to add?
Old 9th October 2017, 15:56   #50
BHPian

I intend to use this for dual purpose, charging the battery and use the socket to supply power, the current socket provided by BMW is CAN enabled and powered to provide low current, I can't use tire infiltrator on the existing socket, the CAN system shuts the switch off!

I have a CTek connector, as a last option will make a DIY socket to connect, the only problem would be making it fit perfectly to be used at all time (if I have to charge mobile or other device while riding).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
EDIT: My bad, I see its for your BMW bike, not a car. So I guess the ignition switch setting is a moot point. Also, if you purchased the cigarette lighter socket connector what charger did you intend using it with?
I have connected the battery side cable permanently to bike ( this connector is available as Bosch C75AC0 Quick Connect Cable Harness for C7 Battery Charger). I need a connector which can connect to this and act as a free socket to provide juice if required.

Ctek does provide multiple connectors, including direct cig socket, SEA connector and extender for dual purpose use! i am not surewhy Bosch went with very propriety connector and don't have any options to extend the use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am confused, what do you have on the bike already and what do you want to add?
-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 9th October 2017 at 15:58.
Old 9th October 2017, 16:22   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have connected the battery side cable permanently to bike ( this connector is available as Bosch C75AC0 Quick Connect Cable Harness for C7 Battery Charger). I need a connector which can connect to this and act as a free socket to provide juice if required.
I think its best if you considered the DIY option.

But given the sensitivity of electronics on EU cars and bikes are you sure you want to try it?

Quote:
Ctek does provide multiple connectors, including direct cig socket, SEA connector and extender for dual purpose use! i am not surewhy Bosch went with very propriety connector and don't have any options to extend the use!
Unfortunately battery charger manufacturers have proprietary connectors as there is no set standard and there are commercial interests at play.

I have several chargers from different manufacturers all of which use their own set of connectors. It is an inconvenience I have learned to live with. I will have to consider doing a DIY using cannibalised parts picked from leads made by other manufacturers. It isn't something I want to try just yet. My use case is different from yours i.e with cars.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th October 2017 at 16:23.
Old 9th October 2017, 16:46   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I have a CTek connector, as a last option will make a DIY socket to connect, the only problem would be making it fit perfectly to be used at all time (if I have to charge mobile or other device while riding).

Got it, Bosch is a dead end I am afraid. But all that ctek is doing is giving you a fuse and convenient connector, has no dependency on smart charger. You can easily create a parallel connection using something like this which has fuse and connector.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B074XKCT85

I agree if C7 gave that accessory, it would be a clean setup.
Old 13th October 2017, 11:47   #53
BHPian

Got my C7 yesterday. Immediately put it to work!
Looks well made, hope it serves me for many years.

My battery took 32 minutes to get to full/trickle charging.
I think using it once or twice a week will be enough to keep my (unused)battery charged.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-5831.jpg  

manim is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 13:55   #54
BHPian

Got my Bosch C7 charger a month back & I am in search of a discharged battery to test this charger 😁. I did manage to charge my bike's battery which was around 75 percent (My RTR 200 was parked & unused for past 2-3 months in the monsoon).
Built quality is really good (IP 65 certified) & the charger does feels premium with all the high quality cables & terminal clips. Operating the charger is super easy as all you have to do is press the only button (MODE) on the charger.
I know a few members here have already questioned whether purchasing a charger worth ₹7000 makes sense for a regular motorcycle & petrol hatch owner like me, where the new batteries costs less than the price of the charger? Yes, you guys are absolutely right & I should have got with the C3 charger instead but just like @Leoshashi said, I am gadget lover & sometimes it is hard to control the enthusiast in yourself.
Coming back to the C7 charger, this charger is smart with lots of modes & functions to take care of your battery. Here we have a short video of unboxing, charging process & on the different modes on this charger.
Sportztourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 10:16   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Forgot to switch the Palio's courtesy light from 'On' to 'Door' and it remained on for about a day before drained the 50 AH battery. The car wouldn't start. Due to the lack of a mains outlet near the car I had to remove the approx. 14 Kg battery and heave it home to a charging point. The back wasn't pleased with this exertion.

Took out my trusty Bosch C7 to give it a workout. I buy chargers precisely for this kind of a scenario. And no, I don't believe in jump starting and letting the alternator do all the hard work.

Checked battery water levels, set the C7 to Recond mode (Recondition AKA Equalisation charge) and let the charger do its thing. The battery started charging and once fully charged the charger switched to Recond which meant deliberately overcharging the battery at about 15.8V @ 1.5 A to desulphate the plates.

About 5-10 minutes later I could hear vigourous bubbling and acid spewing out of the vent holes. Stopped the charger, made a solution of baking soda and water to neutralise the spilled acid and mopped up the solution. Took off the vent caps and restarted the reconditioning process again. A few hours later the process was complete but the charger showed the battery as at around 25% charge when it wasn't so. A check with the DMM confirmed the charge voltage was at about 13.4V which meant the recond mode was done. The the charger was then set back to normal mode (it's supposed to do this automatically but didn't) and it resumed the float charge.

A quick look at the plates showed alternating dark and light coloured material which meant the battery was fully desulphated. A sulphated battery has light coloured plates all through due to the coating of lead sulphate. The faster you get this coating off the plates and back into the electrolyte the better it is.

The DIN50 was kept on charge for 2 more days and its now back to normal. A bit of water top up and it's ready to go back under the bonnet.

A note: many battery manufacturers recommend an equalization charge once or twice a year or whenever there is a Sp Gr difference between cells. Equalization desulphates the plates and prevents stratification of acid and water. Very important in large stationary wet batteries like the ones used in UPS and inverter systems. Exide recommends this be service done once a year. Do NOT equalize AGM or gel cell batteries one cannot replenish water lost during this process.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th December 2017 at 10:20.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 15:56   #56
BHPian

I just purchased the charger yesterday...plugged it in my Honda city and Corolla altis and both of them showed full charge for a few minutes and then the geeen light started blinking which I presume is trickle charging... I doubt that the battery can be fully charged in the Honda city since it is run very low miles inn the city only....also the same on my BMW X1 which is a we a year old, however not that high on mileage....in AGM mode showed 25 percent for few minutes and moved up to 100 percent and trickle charge within 5 minutes or so. Is this normal ? If anyone can let me know their thoughts would be helpful. Also is there a helpline number that can help me out in case I have issues ?
Thanks !
Old 21st January 2018, 20:14   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypatel View Post
I just purchased the charger yesterday...plugged it in my Honda city and Corolla altis and both of them showed full charge for a few minutes and then the geeen light started blinking which I presume is trickle charging... I doubt that the battery can be fully charged in the Honda city since it is run very low miles inn the city only....also the same on my BMW X1 which is a we a year old, however not that high on mileage....in AGM mode showed 25 percent for few minutes and moved up to 100 percent and trickle charge within 5 minutes or so. Is this normal ? If anyone can let me know their thoughts would be helpful. Also is there a helpline number that can help me out in case I have issues ?
Thanks !
Don't worry. That is normal behaviour. May be the batteries are in a higher state of charge than you believe.

The charger is microprocessor controlled and will charge the battery optimally. Yes, the blinking light means a trickle charge.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 22:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Don't worry. That is normal behaviour. May be the batteries are in a higher state of charge than you believe.

The charger is microprocessor controlled and will charge the battery optimally. Yes, the blinking light means a trickle charge.
Thanks !
How long does it normally take to charge regular battery from 50 percent ? Is it the same for AGM batteries ? And once you see a blinking light you are supposed to unplug charger ? Or leave it for some time ? The manual mentions something about pulse charging
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-8efa329f627949a2808aadf4a24f45c5.jpeg  

aypatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:11   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aypatel View Post
How long does it normally take to charge regular battery from 50 percent ? Is it the same for AGM batteries ?
How long depends on the size of the battery. The battery would accept a 7A charge till about 80% (bulk charge) and the battery is ready for use. If charging continues the charger switches to absorption charge at reduced current till about 95-100% and finally to float charge to maintain the battery.

Yes, it is the same for AGM batteries except that charging voltage is marginally higher at 14.7 instead of 14.4 V.

Quote:
And once you see a blinking light you are supposed to unplug charger ? Or leave it for some time ? The manual mentions something about pulse charging
You can leave it on indefinitely and it will maintain your battery without boiling off the electrolyte which many normal (non microprocessor) chargers do.

That pulse charge function is automatic based on battery voltage and cannot be switched on or off by the user.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2018, 15:59   #60
BHPian

This was a very informative thread on the Bosch C7. However, I couldn't find an answer to what confronted me this morning. Would appreciate if anyone could respond.

1) I hadn't used my car for about 5 days and had done so only infrequently in the last fifteen days or so. When I went to open the car doors with my remote, nothing happened. I guessed right that the battery could have gone dead. I opened the driver side door manually with the key and after opening the hood, started charging the battery with my C7. However, only the standby light would come on (the blue light on the mode button) and nothing else. I disconnected the charger and checked the battery voltage and found it to be a low, low, 7.25 V. I reconnected the charger and no matter how many times I pressed the mode button, no other led light lit up unlike in the past when the yellow ring around 25 or 50 or 75% would light up. It has already been three hours and the situation is status quo. Is it possible that because of the battery having lost a lot of charge it is likely to take a very long time to even get up to the 25% level?

2) Concurrent with this situation, with the battery now disconnected and now on charge, I found I could not open any of the doors from inside. neither in front or at the back, since there was no power to the central locking system. The Car is a Toyota Etios. This made me wonder. If there were passengers in the car, and the battery went dead suddenly for any reason, how was anyone to get out if there was no mechanical opening arrangement as in the old days? Or is there, which I don't know about?

A recent incident that happened in Bangalore recently came to mind, where a lady and her young son were charred to death inside a car as they were unable to get out, possibly due to the same reason stated above? Would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations, if any, for avoiding such a disaster.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th March 2018 at 16:44. Reason: Adding paragraph break for easy readability. Thanks.

Most Viewed