Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2017, 20:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Maybe oneday we'll have a discussion on electronic component failures in alternators, esp Indian (Lucas??) ones.
That'd be an interesting discussion alright. But LL is right, its the diodes (and voltage regulator) that fail more frequently than the rotor or stator windings.

As to why in Lucas alternators? Just hazarding a guess here; they're probably built to a cost compared with Denso, Bosch, AC Delco and the like.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 23:24   #17
BHPian

After reading this exhaustive review i bought Bosch c3 charger for my Verna petrol automatic which has abysmally low running, mostly once a week of a non stop 25-30 km run so not more than 120 kms in a month.
Now the question is how frequently should i charge the battery ? The car and battery both are of Sept 2015 make. No problems thus far with the battery at all even after such low running.
Old 5th March 2017, 23:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookey View Post
After reading this exhaustive review i bought Bosch c3 charger for my Verna petrol automatic which has abysmally low running, mostly once a week of a non stop 25-30 km run so not more than 120 kms in a month.
That 25-30 km weekly run is probably recharging your battery and keeping it in shape. That said, a charger is a good investment. You never know when a battery loses its charge.

Quote:
Now the question is how frequently should i charge the battery ? The car and battery both are of Sept 2015 make. No problems thus far with the battery at all even after such low running.
Your car and battery are only 18 months old so you won't have problems right away. To reduce self discharge disconnect the -ve battery terminal/clamp from the battery post & connect it when you take your car out for the weekly run.

Ideally the car should see daily running OR a battery charger should be connected to it when the car is not in use for days at a stretch.

If you are familiar with battery removal procedure in your car, take the battery out, check water levels and keep it on a charge. Install it when you need it. Yes it's a little inconvenient. I bench charge my car batteries if the open circuit voltage reads less than 12.25 volts. Consider buying a digital multimeter to check voltages.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th March 2017 at 23:54.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 21:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A high end charger should have a 'maintain charge' mode. If so, you can just leave the charger connected. (Lots of doomsday warnings about chargers and batteries still connected to car electrics etc. With a high end charger, I'd ignore those 'warnings'. Your call though.) Assuming ofcourse you have a private parking place with access to a powerpoint.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 23:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
A high end charger should have a 'maintain charge' mode. If so, you can just leave the charger connected.
I had considered picking up the Bosch C7 charger on a whim, but then came across a review that mentioned that this specific model of charger does not resume maintenance charging of the battery after an AC mains power failure - it instead requires manual intervention to select the mode to restart charging. Its not a massive inconvenience, but its just something that we need to remember, particularly in India where momentary interruptions and longer term power cuts are a way of life.
arunphilip is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 09:14   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I had considered picking up the Bosch C7 charger on a whim, but then came across a review that mentioned that this specific model of charger does not resume maintenance charging of the battery after an AC mains power failure - it instead requires manual intervention to select the mode to restart charging. Its not a massive inconvenience, but its just something that we need to remember, particularly in India where momentary interruptions and longer term power cuts are a way of life.
This is not true. It is mentioned in the manual and I have tested it with my charger at home, it resumes automatically after power interruption. Here is the info from the manual:

Quote:
Memory function
If the C7 charger is disconnected from the mains
during charging, the unit stores the mode implemented.
On re-connection to the mains and if the
battery is of the same type (12 V or 24 V), the unit
starts up automatically in the last mode. In the
case of a different type of battery (12 V and 24 V),
it switches to standby.

Quote:
Once in a week 25-30km is not too bad compared to short trips. Whatever is taken out of your battery during cranking will be restored by the time you finish 25-30km.

You have the following options:
1. The charger comes with a "quick connect" system. You can connect the quick-connect portion of the cable permanently to the battery terminals. You need to remove the clamps and use the ring terminals and battery terminal nuts to do the same. Secure the quick-connect plug (it is weather proof) near the windshield wipers so you can connect the charger without opening the hood. It depends on your battery location, etc. but permanent connection is definitely an option to consider. If you manage to connect without opening the hood, then you can just permanently leave it connected. If you have multiple cars to charge, this won't be convenient.

2. Try to connect once in a few days such that it will get topped up in 1 hr. In my case I noticed it needs 1hr charge every 3-4 days to top up.

3. Charge it at the start and the end of long-term parking.

Any simple routine just to make sure the battery is not stored in a discharged state for very long, no need to go ICU-level
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 15:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

........and, this baby arrives today

Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-img20170310wa0005.jpeg

Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-img20170310wa0013.jpeg
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 17:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

LOL! Congrats Leoshashi.

Incidentally I purchased and received the C3 model as well 2 days back. The C3 is rated 3.8 A and is more powerful albeit bulkier than the compact 1.25 A Battery Tender that I normally take with me on travels.

I have read about some issues with these chargers on the 'net but hope Bosch has ironed out the wrinkles. Both my Bosch chargers are Sept '16 imports. What about the unit you received?

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th March 2017 at 17:37.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 17:59   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
LOL! Congrats Leoshashi.

Incidentally I purchased and received the C3 model as well 2 days back. The C3 is rated 3.8 A and is more powerful albeit bulkier than the compact 1.25 A Battery Tender that I normally take with me on travels.

I have read about some issues with these chargers on the 'net but hope Bosch has ironed out the wrinkles. Both my Bosch chargers are Sept '16 imports. What about the unit you received?
Mine says Oct '16 on the package.

What sort of issues did you find online??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 18:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Mine says Oct '16 on the package. What sort of issues did you find online??
Keep in mind the reviews date back about 2-3 years. They were mainly regarding the unit going into standby when mains power was interrupted and then resumed. This has been sorted out in these later batches as indicated in the manual. I think they updated the firmware.

The 2nd issue was with the mode change button which according to customer feedback gets unresponsive after some use. The option is to open the charger and replace it with a commonly available 6x6 mm micro switch. These are cheap and you need soldering skills. Or take it to any electronics repair technician and he'll do it for you.

Oh yeah, before I forget the screwdriver is a special one with a triangle shaped tip. See here for a DIY repair:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repa...ttery-Charger/

I just hope they've put in a better quality micro switch in the newer batches.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th March 2017 at 18:18.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 18:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
........and, this baby arrives today
Did you take the pics using a phone camera? The second picture has lot of detail I think Which phone/camera?
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 19:06   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Did you take the pics using a phone camera? The second picture has lot of detail I think
Yes sir, I took these pics using a phone camera. And to worsen the situation, these pics were the ones which I sent to my friend on whatsapp(so even lesser details).

Quote:
Which phone/camera?
3 year old Samsung Galaxy S5

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 10th March 2017 at 19:07.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 16:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Mine says Oct '16 on the package.
Regards,
Shashi
What is the month of manufacture mentioned on the charger ? I did a mistake of ordering from ebay to save few bucks and received old stock of 12/2015 manufacture with sealed open pack and no month of import /MRP mentioned and not even an invoice
Old 14th March 2017, 17:32   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the month of manufacture mentioned on the charger ? I did a mistake of ordering from ebay to save few bucks and received old stock of 12/2015 manufacture with sealed open pack and no month of import /MRP mentioned and not even an invoice
Where should I look for the month of manufacture??

I could find only this.
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-20170314_163833.jpg

In other news, I contacted Amazon's customer care since the seller had unethically raised the MRP to Rs. 7700, and thus creating an impression of higher discounts. The actual MRP is Rs.7000 They have issued me Rs. 300 as token of apology.
Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-capture.jpg

BTW, this same charger is available at my city's Bosch store for Rs. 6700(but import date is May 2016).

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 20:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Where should I look for the month of manufacture??

Regards,
Shashi
Month of manufacture is mentioned behind the charger.Ownership Review: Bosch C7 Battery Charger-unnamed.jpg

I paid 6300 on ebay after applying coupon. Mrp was same Rs 7000.

Regards
spookey is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks