Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2006, 23:19   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelntoe
i thought e-brake stood for emergency brake or just the hand brake. good to know it has working taillights.
e-brake as per what i found out through online journals is an electronic brake system which when used sways the car sideways !
yes, look up Google for Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) for more information. it replaces the conventional mechanical hand-brake lever by a button.

the disadvantage is that as this is a newer concept, a different person (eg. valet) driving your car will get confused on how to set the parking brake and will have a really tough time un-setting it.
Old 14th November 2006, 23:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

@manveet - u must have been high when you said that the skoda is a FWD car .... but hey its ok.... no harm done....

@khaadu - drifting in a FWD - is it possible - i mean how many times would one rely on the hand brake to fish-tail the car - and fish-tailing is not drifting. i could be wrong but that is what i think.

AFAIK - RWD/AWD cars can drift properly - correct me if i am wrong...

@drift2race - i thought e-brake meant engine braking ... or are you talking about ABS ..... it is so confusing naa!!

Last edited by planet_rocker : 14th November 2006 at 23:28.
Old 14th November 2006, 23:38   #33
BANNED

[quote=planet_rocker
@khaadu - drifting in a FWD - is it possible - i mean how many times would one rely on the hand brake to fish-tail the car - and fish-tailing is not drifting. i could be wrong but that is what i think.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, I dunno what lingo ppl talk nowadays but in my lingo, it aint poossible to drift in FWD cars ... unless we call fish tailing with teh use of hand brakes as drifting !!!

Its a pretty baseless thread IMO !!

Cheers
Old 14th November 2006, 23:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Hey, I dunno what lingo ppl talk nowadays but in my lingo, it aint poossible to drift in FWD cars ... unless we call fish tailing with teh use of hand brakes as drifting !!!

Its a pretty baseless thread IMO !!

Cheers
Khaadu ji. Please don't get exasperated.

although it is difficult, drifting IS possible using a FWD.

There are many different drifting techniques, both for RWD and FWD.

RWD
  • Power oversteer or Powerslide - This drift is performed when entering a corner at full throttle to produce heavy oversteer through the turn. The excess power causes the drive wheels to lose traction in a RWD or AWD car. This is the most typical drifting technique for all-wheel drive cars.
  • Braking Drift - This drift is performed by braking into a corner, so that the car can transfer weight to the front. This is immediately followed by throttle in a RWD car causes the rear wheels to lose traction. FWD cars can also use this technique as it does not depend on the rear wheels being driven.
FWD
  • Hand-brake or Emergency brake drift - While the clutch is depressed, the hand-brake is pulled to induce rear traction loss. As soon as traction is lost, the driver releases the clutch, depresses the accelerator, and countersteers. This is generally the main technique to attempt to drift a FWD car (clutch unnecessary). Also, this technique is used heavily in drift competitions to drift large corners, or to trim the car's line mid-drift.
  • Inertia (Feint) drift, or Scandinavian flick[8] - This is done by transferring the weight of car towards the outside of a turn by first turning away from the turn and then quickly turning back using the inertia of the rear of the car to swing into to the desired drifting line. Sometimes the hand-brake will be applied while transferring the weight of the car towards the outside to lock the rear wheels and help the rear swing outwards. This type of drifting causes the car to accelerate faster afterwards, because of momentum built up while drifting
source: Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_(motorsport)

Here is a video which i think shows it though dont remember for sure
Old 15th November 2006, 00:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Kya yaar Khaadu & Manveet here was somebody who was willing to show his drifting skills and you guys start with the bloody theory lessons

Boys don't spoil the thread ok.

Drift2race we're waiting for you to show us your expert demonstration & tips and please ignore these silly kids. They don't know what they are talking about.
Old 15th November 2006, 00:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Skidding the rear wheels on a patch of sand and coming to a halt.... is not drifting.

To drift, you need to continiously drive the car sideways and RWD is essential for that.
Old 15th November 2006, 00:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Skidding the rear wheels on a patch of sand and coming to a halt.... is not drifting.
Exactly! If thats drifting then I've been drifting since the last 20+ years, my earliest drifts being on a bicycle.

Errr.. Drift2Race... welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay here. Something tells me we (for sure) are gonna enjoy it...
Old 15th November 2006, 00:56   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower

To drift, you need to continiously drive the car sideways and RWD is essential for that.
Thank you Mpower .. !! Just wondering why ppl insist that drifting is possible on FWD cars ...

iraghava@ SORRY dude , cudnt resist it !!

gunbir@ I hope so too ... it shall be fun learning how we can break our tail lights while drifting ... i have a lil car called the zen and its tail lights arnt too expensive so I wud luv to show off !!

Cheers
Old 15th November 2006, 02:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
Thank you Mpower .. !! Just wondering why ppl insist that drifting is possible on FWD cars ...
People insist because they have proof. Here is a video. This time I watched it carefully before posting.

FWD drifting on some WagonR kind of cars. By the Japanese.

A fat dude doing donuts on a FWD ride. Not exactly drifting. But still a good watch.

Having said that, I agree that FWD drifting is VERY difficult. Infact, a few minutes of googling will show you that it's a highly debated subject and videos are hard to find.

The only way a drift can be executed on a FWD is by use of the E-brake or Handbrake as it is commonly called. After it's use it is then a matter of controlling the car via appropriate control of the throttle dispersed with some more E-brake usage.

However, this technique does not allow you to continue the drift for really long durations as a RWD does because of which these cars are not used in drifting competitions. Also in a FWD drift one loses speed which may not be true in a RWD one. But technically, it is still a drift by defination.

And ofcourse, we forget, drift2race does it regularly on the AIIMS flyover. So whats the point of contention yaar? Lets wait for him to guide us

p.s. your bicyle was RWD Gunbir, so lets not get THAT into the picture

Last edited by manveet : 15th November 2006 at 02:59.
Old 15th November 2006, 09:08   #40
BHPian

thanks for the link manveet, ive never seen fwd drift before. can anyone id those cars and confirm whether they are really fwd and NOT awd?? looks like FWD to me
Old 15th November 2006, 10:07   #41
BHPian

wow this intro topic of mine has moved full strength into a drift overdrive ! ok guys i will ask my friend today if we could give it a go in front of a team bhp crowd ! and pics of double disc brakes are coming today {they are nothing as you would have ever come across} & it is possible to drift in a rwd or fwd car , depends if you can handle the oversteer !
Old 15th November 2006, 10:24   #42
BHPian

guys, there is a drift school in Chennai, run by Speed Works, they teach on front wheel drives..

contact - Praveen +919840240407
Old 15th November 2006, 10:47   #43
BHPian

Hey guys, please watch a movie called "2fast 2furious -Tokyo drift" It is a wonderful movie for drifting. I think its not yet released in India. May be on it's way now.....
Old 15th November 2006, 10:57   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy
Hey guys, please watch a movie called "2fast 2furious -Tokyo drift" It is a wonderful movie for drifting. I think its not yet released in India. May be on it's way now.....
It came .. people saw .. it went -- ages ago !!!!!!
Old 15th November 2006, 10:59   #45
BHPian

Errr boys... I don't know how many of you guys remember, but I had pieced together loads of information (103 pages) on the art of drifting and racing. It has information on how to drift with FWDs. It's a PDF called the "Manual on Extreme Driving". The linky is present in the best threads section and hosted on tsk's website.

Kindly download and have a look if interested.

Godspeed,

Alok
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks